http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:35:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are video games long enough?  (Read 2582 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:53:50 AM »

There's been some talk about the length of games and how good they are depending on the entertainment, time, and money ratio.  I don't think there's one answer as it really depends on the game.

Perhaps a better way to determine how long a game should be is to take a look at what drives a game.  For some games, the gameplay itself drives the game, in others it's the story or character interaction.

For me, I'm really into the story of a game and character interaction.  So for me, the game keeps going as long as the story really decreese.  However, that doesn't mean that they can't extend the gameplay by using good game mechanics.  Half-Life 2 was a good example, with a good story and characters, but story elements and character interaction was sparse and the game was carried more by the way they took the simple gameplay of aim and shoot in new ways.

Likewise, a game can go on forever with games like puzzlers and such.

What are your thoughts?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »

With my limited playtimes and ADD with gaming, i'm really liking the lengths of most 360 games.  For me 12-15 hours is perfect as long as the story is pretty decent, character involvement is good, and the pace is consistent.  I recently decided to quit playing FF XII because of the length.  I just can't keep my attention long enough for anything more than about 15 hours.  Also, there are so many cool and fun games out that i'm dying to play, so to maximize my experiences, games with relatively short sp campaigns are ideal for me.

Mp is great, but to be honest i don't buy many games for multiplayer anymore.  If it doesn't have a good sp campaign, it's tough for me to justify buying it.  I missed out so much on so many great games the past few years because of the time sink with mmorpg's, i just look for good sp games that can be played in a relatively short time frame. 

Gimme a decent story, alot of action, simplistic controls and mechanics and i'm set.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 12:51:09 PM »

Making games shorter helps out those that do not have enough time to finish a game that would take over 100 hours to complete, but I think that is why developers put in save points.  Some games are meant to be short, while others are supposed to be long and epic.  If a long and epic game doesn't draw you in, it just might be that the story isn't your cup of tea.  You could also have gamer's ADD (I myself fall victim to this disease sometimes).  Other than that, yeah, I don't know what else to say.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 02:25:28 PM »

This is what I posted on VE's comment board about this subject just a minute ago.

The longer the better. I dont pay for games under 12 hours. FPS games should be around 20 hours. RPGs should run 60-80 hours. When A game, especially a FPS, is under 12 hours I feel ripped off. I would download a rip and play it if it was under 12 hours perhaps

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 03:49:47 PM »

It all depends on the game.  There is no ideal length for me, my only requirement be that it has good consistent gameplay.  Don't make a game longer by throwing in needless timesinks just for the sake of saying it is 15 hours long instead of 12.  If a game is really good I don't care if it only takes me 10 hours to complete.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:09:19 PM »

If it's a shooter then <12 hours is good for me.  Any longer and I'm going to get bored and not finish it.

RPG's are a little different.  I just finished Fable: The Lost Chapters this weekend and my total playtime with most of the sidequests completed was about 16 hours.  That seems a bit short but on the other hand there's stuff I'll never see in Morrowind and Oblivion which are considerably longer.

As a general rule I'd rather have a great shorter game that makes me want to replay it than a longer game that I get bored with and don't want to finish.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 08:25:51 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 04, 2006, 04:09:19 PM

As a general rule I'd rather have a great shorter game that makes me want to replay it than a longer game that I get bored with and don't want to finish.

+1

I think about games the same way I think about books/movies/television series - make it just long enough to tell the story and remain entertaining. Don't cut stuff essential to the story for the sake of saving/making a few bucks (90 minute films being able to have more showtimes in a day), but don't add in filler for the same purpose (The X-Files, I'm lookin' at you). Tight, well-defined plots with distinct beginnings and endings and cohesive artistic visions are where it's at (Babylon 5, The Shield, 24, etc.).

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 10:23:15 PM »

I'm sure it depends a lot on the person and the demands on their time.  I don't have a lot of time to game, so I really appreciate a 10-15 hour game because I like the feeling of accomplishment and I get to find out how the story ends.  I really wish I had time for a 40 hour game.  I have put a lot of longer games down just because I get interrupted and feel like I've been away from the game too long to get back into the story or even remember the controls.

I have to use up some vacation time, and I am considering taking off xmas to new years and spend most of the time trying to beat KOTOR or something.  My fiance has those days off, though, so I don't know if she'd stand for that smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 02:39:35 AM »

I don't care much about length but I care a helluva lot about pacing.  Okami after 40 hours was dragging but FFXII at 50 hours is still going strong.  Tomb Raider Legend felt short because it felt like there was an act missing near the end, but Chronicles of Riddick felt perfect, despite both games being about the same amount of time for a playthrough. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 01:54:25 PM »

Superman Returns is roughly 6 hours, but believe me...that is mercifully short for this mess. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 12:48:37 AM »

I'm in the camp that the length is not important to me so long as it is fun and compelling.  I have played 8 hours games that were way too long for that piece of crap, and played some for 25 hours that I hated to see end. 

But I must say that I am in the camp where I do not get more than 30-60 minutes a day when averaged for the week.  Not much really when you think about it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 08:56:18 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 14, 2006, 01:54:25 PM

Superman Returns is roughly 6 hours, but believe me...that is mercifully short for this mess. 

That bad, eh?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: