http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:07:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone want to participate in an online pen and paper RPG?  (Read 7692 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2005, 06:54:34 AM »

It's hasn't been that long since I ran a game, but my last few games petered out as life became hectic for me and my players.

So I was thinking of running something for players online, either through chat, or just posting messages on a board, like this one.  Take a look at my other thread on non D&D rpgs to see a list of games that I can run.  If anyone's interested, I could start something here on CG.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 01:26:59 PM »

I'd play might want to check out http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=3842& I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Ascendent
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 01:29:03 PM »

Wow that looks like a pretty decent product Ascendent.  Sadly turtle I am not familiar with any of the systems you listed... I have only ever done D&D and white wolf.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 01:36:48 PM »

Neither have I but still think it'll be fun you should join Arkon.

Ascendent
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 06:33:50 PM »

Actually, the less you know about a setting the better, gives you fresh insight into the world when you first experience the nuances of it.

Also the systems can be taught, it just takes time.

I'm leaning towards Deadlands.  It's a western setting, should be familiar enough to you both and the rulebook is available online in pdf form for cheap in case you guys want to go into detail on it.

Thanks for the link Ascendent, I've been looking for software like this, but most of the programs out there for this were pretty bad or were only for d20.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 08:35:32 PM »

No problem, think it'll be a fun setting to play in.

Ascendent
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 04:17:01 AM »

My wife just got a new job.  Good news is, alot more money.. bad news is, she will be gone from Monday til Thursday night.

More good news is that opens up things like this for me..

I would definately be interested in something like this (even if it is a new setting that I need to learn), especially if we did it on one of those nights
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 04:20:20 AM »

Hey Croman, glad to see someone else interested. Bad news Turtle is overwhelmed at the moment but I'm sure he'll get time to put this together soon enough. The setting sounds really fun, wild west/cthullu mix should be damn fun.

Ascendent
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 05:01:56 AM »

Sounds good to me... now as to how we would do this...I would be up for trying out that software.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »

That Fantasy Grounds software is a bit expensive.  $35 for the GM, and $20 for each player.  So, it'll have to be through IRC, or a Play by Post game.  I think right now, it'd be best if we did it as a play by post here on CG, just to get things started later we'll switch to something more personal.  If the game becomes more established, we may switch to some special software, but I'm not one to make players buy into new software just for this.

The setting will be Deadlands: The Weird West, a western combined with horror and some steampunk.

Here's a blurb from the site:
This epic, story-based roleplaying game details the "Weird West," a history similar to our own up until 1863. That's when the Reckoning occurs--a bizarre event that allows monsters, spirits, and more to once again inhabit the world of mortals.

Players take on the role of gunfighters, hexslingers, shamans, or pious blessed in an attempt to learn about the Reckoning and the mysterious beings behind it!

In addition, they have discovered a new superfuel called Ghost Rock, often found near deposits of other useful materials, it burns twice as hot and twice as long as coal.  It has many other strange peculiarities that people are exploiting to make leaps and bounds in technological development.  Although it all is somewhat unstable...

Here's a link to a pdf version of the Player's Guide.  It has a lot more information:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=796&

It's not needed, but useful, the download is only $12 and that site is legit.  If anything it's a good read.

Right now, people should think of some generic character concepts.  Characters are mostly made of skill and attributes, so if you can think of any western character from any movie, you can make characters for this game.

There are also some magical elements you can make your character with.  They are exclusive though, and always almost always involve some sort of trade off when performing it.  I'll be introducing these after the game starts, and I'm limiting it to one player for magic type only.

The first type are Hucksters, they play deadly mind games with evil spirits in order to trick them into doing their bidding.

The second are Shamans, being somewhat true to native beliefs, Shamans may perform certain acts to gain favor with various spirits.  You must be native american character to be a shaman, of course.

Priests in Deadlands got a bit of power of their own since The Reckoning, and thus can call down on some divine power.  But, this does have a cost of its own.

Finally, we have Mad Scientists.  These mad doctors tinker with ghost rock and other phenominon to create devices that seem to defy the laws of nature.

Now, these magics are powerful, but come with costs.  And to quote another scoundrel, it's often no replacement for a good 6-shooter by your side.

Three players is enough for me to start, so if you could e-mail me (in my profile) with character ideas we can discuss your characters.  I will also be role playing a kind of character establishing session with everyone on an individual basis, this will also let me lead everyone together into the posse in a more natural way instead of saying you all meet at the saloon and just happen to travel in the same direction from there on.  slywink
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 04:27:19 PM »

Ok sounds good, I went ahead and got the book. Great read really helps define the character, and the setting.  I'm already finished with most of it going to write up a background and of course need to roll for stats.

Ascendent
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 08:30:32 PM »

Ascendent did you get a harcopy of the book, or did you dl the PDF?  I went looking today to try and find a print copy with no luck.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 08:46:59 PM »

oh your not going to find a hard copy, I tried already. I just bought the pdf version. Just easier that way. I would share with you but I think it checks online to see who uses it. But if you like I can answer your questions and give you a run down on items in the book.

Ascendent
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 09:10:33 PM »

The book went out of print near the end of 2004.  Most stores wouldn't have the players guides.

There is a new version coming out in the summer using the Savage Worlds rules.  It'll be a complete refresh of the setting, no plot changes, it's just updating the game to the times and compiling everything into three books, as opposed to the 20+ books there are now.  Not to mention switching rules.  I'd prefer to use the new rules when they come out since they're much easier to handle, but it'll be a while.

One major bit of world backstory is that the Civil War is still going on through 1876, when the game starts.  This is over 100 years since the war started.  Although, it's mostly stalled, each side usually has an offensive each year around election time.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 10:10:32 PM »

Hrmm, well Waldenbooks shows that it is still in print, just backordered.  I am going to check my Half Price Books in the area.  I recently picked up some old 2nd Edition D&D that I was missing, and they had original printing 1st edition D&D.  They had a pretty large selection but at the time I was only looking for D&D stuff.

Just real fast, turtle I was just saying that I am willing to spend the money to get the Fantasy Grounds software since I have no local people to RP with I was considering going with something online.  But I do understand where you are coming from.

There used to be some free online RPG systems such as WebRPG but I don't know if they are even still around in a free format or not.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 10:15:11 PM »

I'd like to use it as well, but we should see how this goes before we commit to something like that. Maybe they have a demo version? I'll check into it. Oops they do have a demo version http://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsDemoSetup.exe

Ascendent
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 10:54:12 PM »

The demo version isn't much of a demo, severly limited, and I can't make new content for it.  Since Deadlands is a complex rules system, I'd have to script up new character sheets and various backends for it.  I'm willing to do that, but not willing make players buy it.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 11:45:24 PM »

Ok, well lets see who all we have... I am willing as is Ascendent... the nice thing is it would allow us to do multiple systems if we ever wanted to do a different setting ie.. White Wolf, D&D, etc...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 12:56:23 AM »

I haven't played a PnP RPG since high school (almost 18 years ago).  But it sounds interesting.  Count me as (tentatively) in.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 02:00:47 AM »

Turtle gave me this link earlier tonight, I don't remember the location so I hosted it. It is a character generator for Deadlands. It's pretty good to.

http://members.cox.net/ascendent/CharGen.ZIP

Ascendent
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 02:26:07 AM »

Was there a particular time that you guys could play?

My main time hog is actually homework, Mon-Thurs afternoons are all taken with classes, Monday evenings too.  All other evenings and weekends are good for me.

Just taking time to post a schedule here.  My two big projects are due tomorrow and Thursday, so come this weekend or next week I can start organizing this whole deal and start playing.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2005, 03:05:53 PM »

Sundays are the only day I can't play aside from that I'm good.

Ascendent
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2005, 03:44:05 PM »

Well with getting my new job, I am gone from 7:30 AM EST to about 5:00 PM EST, and I have church Sunday mornings.  Other than that I am fair game.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2005, 05:59:02 PM »

I am willing to play on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday nights.  I also would not have a problem in buying that software
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2005, 07:16:38 PM »

so then lets pick a day I'm totally free except for Sunday which I play d&d but other then that I'm golden. Have we figured out exactly how we are going to play? I'd like to hear the mechanics of what we will be doing.

Ascendent
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2005, 10:30:35 AM »

Looks like Tuesday evening would be the best bet for now.  It's still somewhat iffy for me as I have an evening class split between Monday and Wednesday, usually it has an assignment to do for Wed.  Tuesday nights and Wednesday mornings are the only times I can work on these.

Thursday evenings around 7pm would be best for me, that or Friday or Saturday.  However, many people like to go out on these days.  I can still do Tuesdays, but I may have to cancel some session on short notice.

Also, I've had a good look through of the Deadlands rules again after retrieving my player and GM guide.  I've realized that Deadlands Classic simply isn't a good game to play online.  It's complex enough that everyone will need a rulebook (more costs) to play, although once you learn the rules it's easy enough.  But it does need several mechanics that are difficult to replicate online, things such as poker cards and chips, along with an dice rolling mechanic that uses multiple dice of many kinds which are then read in a special way.

I guess it's those rose colored glasses.  Everything would be easy enough if we were at a normal table, but online is a problem.  I will still run it though, I'll just handle all those bits on my end and just let you know when your status changes.

There is good news, however.  Deadlands is being rewritten and rereleased for the Savage Worlds system this summer.  The SW system has basic rules available online for free here.   It's simple enough that I can fill you in on any missing bits, and several other downloads have all the other info you need.  It's a lot easier and can be run online simply.

My idea is that in the meantime we can play one of the other four settings, Necessary Evil, Tour of Darkness, 50 Fathoms, or Evernight.  Or I can just wing the Deadlands to SW conversion and then move to the official rules once they're released.  It'd be a lot easier on you guys to make characters and start playing with the rules so easily accessable.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2005, 10:27:33 PM »

So which setting are we going to use?

Ascendent
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2005, 11:07:36 PM »

After talking it through with Ascendant, I've decided that we'll still be playing Deadlands, but we'll be using the Savage Worlds rules.

You can get the SW rules for free here:
http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SavageWorlds/TestDrive4.pdf

This is the free trial version, it's missing a few things, but you can find all the other info in other downloads.

This is a generic weapons list.
http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SavageWorlds/WeaponNotes.pdf

These are GM screen inserts that list the edges and hinderances, along with other combat maneuvers you can make.
http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SavageWorlds/SWRevScreenF.pdf

From these documents you can make a character for the setting very easily.  If you want to be a magic user, take the arcane background edge and let me know which type.

Deadlands characters are basically anything you can think of from almost any western movie you can think of.

If you need help making a character or have a finished one that you want to show me, e-mail me here:  turtle (at) pex.net
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2005, 08:25:30 PM »

Any updates on this?

Thanks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 08:41:54 AM »

It's still happening, albiet slowly.

I'm having trouble keeping track of messages across all these forums and mediums.  So, could everyone please e-mail me at: turtle (at) pex.net

Include in the subject the tag: [deadlands]

I'd like everyone to e-mail me their availability again, along with character info if you haven't sent me it already.  I'd like to get everyone's e-mail on file so I can keep you informed, not to mention send role playing stuff when we're not together.

Right now, the date and time is Thursday evening 8:15pm PST.  Sorry if anyone can't make it, but my class schedule limits me to Thursday through Sunday as my off time and even then I'm working on art projects.

I'm still figuring out a good place to run the thing, IRC is a good bet right now.  So, download mIRC when you can.  I'd also like to get a tally of those who are willing to pay the $20 for the player's version of the Fantasy Grounds software.

Finally, I'll be e-mailing everyone with a short RP session going into what your character sees and experiences as he sets foot in Julestown, Kansas Territory.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2005, 11:02:21 PM »

Ok I'll get you my info tonight then

Ascendent
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2005, 11:13:46 PM »

Sent ya an email, look for one from [email protected].
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2005, 02:13:57 PM »

I take it this is dead in the water?
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2005, 02:14:53 PM »

Oh yeah this has been tit's up for a while now, glad I got the book *chuckles*

Ascendent
lilyve
BANNED
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2005, 10:33:20 PM »

Edited by KS:

Console Gold is the best!  I just can't get enough of it.  Please ban me!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2005, 11:38:24 PM »

Hi lilyve aka IP address 218.5.84.205

You ....are....

BANNNED! YAAAAAY!!!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend