http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 06:00:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone suggest some starter card games?  (Read 2719 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:28:32 PM »

Me and my son both love watching anime and Americanized anime (which is what i call Avatar).  Now i know he's a bit too young yet, but i'm interested in starting a card type game such as YU GI Oh.  I know there are more than that, but thats all i can reference for what i am thinking of.

What i was thinking was i could get started with some basics and just play a few minutes a few times a week with him.  Nothing serious, just something to get started with.

So what are my options?  Like i said, only thing i really know is YU GI Oh.  What else is there and what would someone suggest for getting started?   

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:42:45 PM »

How old is your son?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:37:08 AM »

he'll be 4 in December.  i know its very young, so it's more for me to get started and for him to just have fun looking at the cards.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:48:25 AM »

BoBM has a card game that him and his son used to play, might want to PM him, if he doesnt stop in to read this thread.  I seem to remember it was a pretty basic card game. 
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »

I'd just pull out your standard 52 card deck, and teach 'em poker or rummy.  You can go to http://www.upperdeckentertainment.com/wow/en/ and download the demo decks for the WOW cardgame that is upcoming.  I'm looking forward to it because of the 'Raid' decks that will be coming after launch (Onyixia will be out in Nov, another one in Q2 '07).  It looks simple enough and it has the best price tag for a demo.....free!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 07:23:41 PM »

that WoW game is what i had in mind, more than traditional cards.  I figured he'd like the pictures and that would entertain him more than normal cards.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 08:32:22 PM »

You could always pick up the grandaddy of them, Magic: The Gathering.  I know it's not anime, but it has the most support and longevity to it.  You could pick out some nice-pictured cards out and make a basic mono-colored deck.  I'm not sure if 4 yrs oldis too young, but the game will still be around when he's old enough to understand.  Even if he doesn't, if you ever wanted to play. it will be easier for you to find people who play Magic rather than another flash-in-the-pan game.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 02:36:19 AM »

As BOBM hasnt been in to reply.  I will give him a call and find out the name of the card game we used to play with his son.  It was a pretty basic game. 

Also, I dont know if they still make it, but they used to make a version of Magic: The gathering that was basic, and meant for younger players as well.

Not sure how the WoW game is going to handle.  They are making 'raid' decks.  Where one person plays, say a huge named dragon.  lets use Onyxia for instance, and fights off 5 other people, so i would think that it would prolly have to be kinda complex.

Anyways.  I will give him a call tomorrow, and hound him about the name of the card game.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 04:16:58 AM »

We play stupid, "make-em-up-as-we-go" card games (using regular cards) with our 4-year-old and 3-year-old, but they usually turn out pretty well.

Some things we do:
Each player draws a card from the deck. Biggest number wins. Joker means an automatic game-over win but you have to run a lap around the house while laughing. Keep adding on things as you play. Queen means you have to dance, etc. King means you can tell someone else to do something silly, etc.

Take ten cards from the deck, Ace to ten. Each player draws a card from these ten cards without looking at it. They then hold the card up on their forehead so everyone else can see it but themselves. You then take turns trying to guess the card on your own forehead before the other player guesses the card on his/her head. We killed at least an hour with this game on a flight to Japan. Amazing how long it held their attention. They still ask to play it when we pull out the deck of cards.

I bet it'd be possible to get a few starter decks of a card game like Magic and make up a very simple version of a game that you could play with your four-year-old. A simplified version of "Go Fish" might work pretty well, if you could get enough pairs of like cards. 15-20 paired cards (30-40 cards in total) might do the trick.

unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 10:43:53 PM »

Rummy is an excellent way to get a youngster started on the path to a lifetime of card counting.

Just have him use a piece of paper to assist in remembering your cards (draw 4 rows 13 columns), then have him lose the paper once he doesn't need it anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: