http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 08:15:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone play Great Fire of London or Suburbia?  (Read 1455 times)
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »

Looking for an Xmas gift for buddy. He loves games with a screw you element. Preferably something with planning/strategy and not overwhelmingly random
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:50:54 PM »

Suburbia definitely fits that bill, but might get a little too fiddly as it goes.  I'm looking forward to the iOS version.

I haven't played GFoL, but it is currently on sale at CoolStuffInc.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »

Suburbia is a great game.  Everyone who has played it has enjoyed - even the nongamers.  That being said, there is only a minor screw you element in it.  You are mostly left to your own devices, but you can try to make game tiles unavailable for others.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »

Quote from: Montag on November 28, 2013, 03:42:39 PM

Suburbia is a great game.  Everyone who has played it has enjoyed - even the nongamers.  That being said, there is only a minor screw you element in it.  You are mostly left to your own devices, but you can try to make game tiles unavailable for others.

I've definitely felt powerfully screwed by the taking of tiles, but I suppose that's not very active.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:36:11 AM »

Suburbia is the better of the 2 games. I played The Great Fire of London 2 years ago and didn't care much for it, other than the history of it which can be interesting to anyone who doesn't have prior knowledge. My only complaint about Suburbia is that there's goofy/negative goals (worst reputation, least income, etc.) that come into play that seem a bit dubious to me. My opinion on that though is no doubt influenced by also being a wargamer. slywink  Interesting enough, Suburbia reminded me of another very good tile placement game I own called Vikings. I only mention it because IMO the screw you factor in Vikings is better as long as you play it with the advanced auction rules.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »

Another one to peruse is Fall of Pompeii, which has some similarities to Great Fire of London, IIRC.  Though it is lighter than either of the two mentioned, a min-maxer will still have a lot to consider.  The take that element is pretty strong, IMO.  And you get to throw dudes into a volcano.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »

Here's our review of Downfall of Pompeii:

http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/one-simply-walk-vesuvius-downfall-pompeii-2nd-ed/

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »

Thanks for the info, I think that I will buy Suburbia. I'll report back after the holidays after we have a few games under our belts
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:54:07 AM »

So, I went into my FLGS and they had OGRE sitting there in it's massive box. He's been down with the light, tactical war games we've played, so I grabbed that. 100 dollar impulse buy.

OGRE was one the earliest games I played and I loved it when I was a kid, I hope it ages well.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 07:07:34 PM »

I finally got to play OGRE last year when one of our boardgaming society's member finally hauled his copy out of storage. I'd say it's stood up reasonably well, although I do think there's newer, comparable light tactical boardgame systems that are better and cheaper. There's also a number of tabletop miniature systems that have arrived in the decades since it's release, that IMO are as rules light yet much more expandable. I was of course playing one of the original Ogre sets, so I'm not aware of home much the new release has changed. One thing I've noted about the the new release when checking a few posts on the geek - you get a heckuva lot for that $100 and an owner of it would probably never feel they're missing some expansion or addon.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:09:09 PM by kronovan » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:07 PM »

Mine just came in the mail today.  Holy shit is that a massive set!  They tell you on a giant insert on the box not to punch everything out at once (that way lies madness, they say).

I was avoiding this like the plague, but I really do have good memories of this (I remember playing GEV/OGRE in the hotel before my college interview).  Plus, I think my daughter will drool over it.  However, I had to tuck it away in the back basement, and can never have that box out while the wife is around!

OTOH, there's almost too much in the box.  Seriously, I cannot imagine playing everything this set has to offer.  But I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

On a Suburbia note, the iOS app has hit.  I have heard some reports of crashing, but it seems to be a sleek interface.

WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 09:36:10 PM »

Just an update (in case anyone in interested).

OGRE was a hit. We played a couple of games in which my buddy insisted on being the defender. Despite my knowledge being 30 years out of date, I destroyed him on both. He overextended himself and grouped his units together a bit too much, especially his GEV's. The second scenario included cruise missiles, where I got a lucky dice roll and he did very poorly on his rolls. Next time I'll be taking the role of the defender and I'll have to explain to him about the death of a thousand cuts (harrying the OGRE with GEV's, harassing with infantry, effectively combining firepower, etc...

Additionally, I actually happened to receive Great Fire of London for Xmas. We played our first game with the four of us on NYE and everyone had a blast. Despite my wife appearing to be the clean winner, the game was a bit closer than we expected. Quick play, good table talk, and decent interaction makes it a winner for us.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 10:46:21 PM »

We also got a game of OGRE in.  My kid destroyed me with the MK III.  I handicapped myself by one unit, but I think the bigger issue was that despite being sure it wasn't right (but not finding the rule), she was using the AP guns on non-personnel.

A lot of fun and memories, though. 

Unfortunately, that box is a big pain to get out!  I don't know how often we're going to be getting it out in the future.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: