http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 04:19:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Here Ever Play the Travellers RPG?  (Read 3662 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »

The other day my nephew asked me -knowing me to be a RPG geek from eons ago- about a tabletop RPG that might be like the Anarchy Online MMO. He and his gaming buddies are moving onto playing WoW, but they're looking to dabble in a sit down tabletop every other weekend. I really couldn't think of anything that exactly matches the feel and style of AO, but I did remember the Travellers RPG from the 80's. IIRC it was unique in that unlike D&D & other tabletop RPG's of its day, you created an ability complete toon and then advanced them by specializing in specific skill or career paths; not exactly like AO's huge skills-based matrix, but definitely skills oriented. I remember it being more of a rules system with lots of flexibility and that some of the people in my RPG gaming circle used it to come up with some very creative and wacko scenarios.

That said, I googled it and much to my surprise the game is still alive and there's been about 5 reincarnations of it since the early 80's version I played, including a D20 based version. I was also pleased to find the players guide, character charts and a 3 mission scenario free online at RPG Drive Thru. Talk about a blast from the past, the PDF player guide was the small -almost paperback- sized black covered book I remember, complete with artwork that looked like storyboards from an 80's B rate Sci-Fi movie; great stuff.  icon_biggrin

So I'm wondering if anyone else here every dabbled in this RPG, and if there's anything more recent that might be closer to AO?
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:57:12 AM »

I'm not too familiar with it, but Eclipse Phase is something you might want to take a look at.  The full rules (minus the artwork) are available for free, legally, under a Creative Commons license.   I don't think there's an actual link to the free version on the game's website, but there's a thread going on the Penny Arcade forums.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:55:07 AM »

I played around with MegaTraveller (the 2nd version, released in the mid-80s) and owned a few source books from the original version.  Most of the GDW RPGs from that period had the concept you mentioned, where you created your character and then they advanced through a pre-game "career" to build up skills (though they could also lose stats as they aged).  Twilight:2000 and Traveller:2300 were put out around the same time as MegaTraveller.  When GDW shut down, the original creator of Traveller got the rights back and he's been redoing it ever since, with varying success.  I'm not sure what the community for the game is anymore, but I gather that for a time Traveller was the sci-fi option of choice for people who wanted something other then D&D in their RPG diet.

I haven't played a tabletop RPG in years, though, so I don't know what counts as equivalent anymore.  There are so many RPGs out there at this point that its almost counterproductive for the hobby, IMHO. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:31:35 PM »

It's interesting to hear of all the iterations Travellers has gone through. I checked out Eclipse Phase and my God is that ever a comprehensive and detailed game world!  eek I'm thinking it's going to be a bit too sophisticated for my nephew, but then I thought the same about AO when he 1st started playing it. slywink
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »

If you can dig up an old copy of Gamma World, that might work for you. Post apocolyptic RPG. More like Mad Max than AO though.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »

Quote from: DocD on April 21, 2010, 06:00:03 PM

If you can dig up an old copy of Gamma World, that might work for you. Post apocolyptic RPG. More like Mad Max than AO though.

Gamma World was repubbed with the d20 ruleset, so it isn't hard to find. I'd actually take a look at Shadowrun, oddly enough. You might be able to do a conversion from the implant system there to something that would approximate AO. Capturing the feel of that seems like one of the hardest things rules-wise, IMO.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 21, 2010, 11:21:35 PM

Gamma World was repubbed with the d20 ruleset, so it isn't hard to find.

A new version based on D&D 4e rules are coming out soon, too. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 09:12:39 PM »

Ah...Gamma World, remember hearing about that ages ago, but it never made it to the table for my college RPG circle. Wasn't it supposed to be based on some of the books by Brian Aldiss and Andre Norton?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:16:11 PM by kronovan » Logged
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »

Gamma World!  Wow, that brings back memories from way back in the day....

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 01:17:47 PM »

I had the rule books for Traveller, but never was able to get anybody to play.

I ran SpaceMaster for about 2 years right out of college...really was one of the most fun games I've ever run.  Game broke up when several players all moved away within a couple of months of each other.  I never tried to get the game restarted because I knew I would never get the chemistry of the characters the same.

Um...what about the Serenity RPG?  Did they like Firefly?  That isn't as combat-oriented as I would assume AO is, but it could be fun.

Haven't played it, but didn't FFG just release an RPG set in the Warhammer 40K universe?  Yeah.  Rogue Trader.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on May 03, 2010, 01:17:47 PM

Um...what about the Serenity RPG?  Did they like Firefly?  That isn't as combat-oriented as I would assume AO is, but it could be fun.

Haven't played it, but didn't FFG just release an RPG set in the Warhammer 40K universe?  Yeah.  Rogue Trader.

I leant my nephew my copy of the Firefly series about 2 years ago, but he's yet to finish viewing it. I also gave him a copy of WH40K for his PC and he hasn't even gone further than the tutorial. So I'm thinking no to both of those, but I'm personally going to give a look at that Firefly RPG -  being a very big fan of the TV show.
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »

I looooved travellers... unfortunately could not get a regular group...
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »

How about Cyberpunk 2020?

Ale
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 07:07:39 AM »

Traveller good, although the systems a bit primitive, compared to more recent game systems.

If you hunt carefully, you can find the combined rulebooks, adventures 0-8, etc, in some more convenient releases.

Aka here... http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Traveller-Books-Marc-Miller/dp/1558782001/ref=sr_1_32?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1285743884&sr=1-32

and here... http://www.amazon.com/Traveller-The-Classic-Supplements-1-13/dp/155878201X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Or here, if you want to cut out the middleman... check the left side for hard copies.

http://www.farfuture.net/hardcopy.html

Atomic

GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 12:19:01 AM »

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »

A slumbering thread for sure, but I had to ressurect it because finally found my nephew an PnP RPG that has a Anarchy Online Vibe to it - Interface Zero for the Savage Worlds system. I'm already a big fan of Savage Worlds, having run 2 different campaings in the past. We've played IZ through 3 sessions now and I can say it's 1 excellent setting! It's Earth in 2088 with heaps of cbyerpunk, hacking, ghosting (as in Ghost in the Shell) and biomodding. It also has 5 distinct races/pseudoraces; Humans, Human 2.0 (gentically enhanced), Androids (there a lot like Blade Runner's), Simulacras and Hybrids (genetically spliced from human and different animal forms.) They're not quite the alien races of AO, but still very cool. There's also space travel within the Solar system and -saved the best for last- you can pilot mechas wich are called golemmechs. slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: