http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:23:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AD&D 4E character creation  (Read 16285 times)
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 03:34:40 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 23, 2008, 02:37:22 AM

Half-elves are listed under Dilettante as being able to choose an at-will power from a class different than the characters.  Does that include, say, At-Will prayers such as the paladin's Holy Strike?

I'm pretty sure that's the one WotC recommends that the Half-Elf pregen cleric from Keep on the Shadowfell take (as they forgot to add it).  Hmmm, it wasn't Holy Strike it was Bolstering Strike (don't have my books handy so can't comment on Holy Strike).  From the FAQ:

4. Why doesn't the half-elf cleric have another class's at-will power as an encounter power?

The power was removed for space, if you would like to include one, we recommend Bolstering Strike.

Edit: Ok - I looked up Holy Strike.  You could take it, but since a cleric can't mark then you wouldn't get as much benefit from Holy Strike as Bolstering Strike.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:38:01 AM by IceBear » Logged
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 03:48:14 AM »

Quote from: IceBear on June 23, 2008, 03:34:40 AM

Half-elves are listed under Dilettante as being able to choose an at-will power from a class different than the characters.  Does that include, say, At-Will prayers such as the paladin's Holy Strike?

I'm pretty sure that's the one WotC recommends that the Half-Elf pregen cleric from Keep on the Shadowfell take (as they forgot to add it).  Hmmm, it wasn't Holy Strike it was Bolstering Strike (don't have my books handy so can't comment on Holy Strike).  From the FAQ:

4. Why doesn't the half-elf cleric have another class's at-will power as an encounter power?

The power was removed for space, if you would like to include one, we recommend Bolstering Strike.

Edit: Ok - I looked up Holy Strike.  You could take it, but since a cleric can't mark then you wouldn't get as much benefit from Holy Strike as Bolstering Strike.

Actually, I'm a fighter.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:53:28 AM by Arnir » Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 23, 2008, 03:48:14 AM

Quote from: IceBear on June 23, 2008, 03:34:40 AM

Actually, I'm a fighter.
Oh, sorry, I thought you were making the cleric, sorry.  I guess it would work, I'm not sure it's intended to work on other types of marks (I don't think I'd allow it - just the way I envision the powers working, but with the way it's written it's legal and it's not like a fighter would have a huge WIS bonus)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:03:37 AM by IceBear » Logged
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 03:27:37 AM »

Okay, I'm fighting computer problems, grading tests and term papers, but I'm also dense, So, with my head spinning, can someone point me to the page where it says how many powers, etc. I choose?

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 03:31:27 AM »

PHB, page 29.

As a Half-Elf Fighter you get 2 at-will, 1 encounter and 1 daily from the fighter powers.  You also get to pick an at-will power from another class and add it as an encounter power.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 03:36:16 AM »

Quote from: IceBear on June 27, 2008, 03:31:27 AM

PHB, page 29.

As a Half-Elf Fighter you get 2 at-will, 1 encounter and 1 daily from the fighter powers.  You also get to pick an at-will power from another class and add it as an encounter power.

Mucho gracias.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 04:14:32 AM »

Page 1 of my character, Trevor Windson.  I don't know how to post .pdf files so I took screenshots.

OLD

NEW
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:54:23 AM by Arnir » Logged

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 04:15:04 AM »

Page 2

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 04:15:42 AM »

My Powers sheet

IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 10:47:59 AM »

I'd like to make a suggestion. You took Holy Strike, but since your Wisdom modifier is 0, it's not actually doing anything. Your Charisma is high so  Enfeebling Strike would give you a benefit, or, since defenders are supposed to be surrounded by attackers, Valiant Strike.  Also, my experience is a defender will be taking a lot of damage and since you're wearing heavy armor you might want to switch your Con and Dex around so you end up with 16 Con and 12 Dex.  Also, as a heavy blade fighter I think you'll be using more Con based powers than Dex.  Of course, you might have some roleplaying reasons or other plans for your character that I'm not aware of at this point so feel free to ignore.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »

Where'd you find the editable pdf file?

BTW - you also forgot the +1 Ref from you having a (apparently light) shield.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:41:29 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »

I don't think it's exactly an editable PDF.  If you go to this website http://www.emass-web.com/ and pay $5 you can create a character and it will build a character sheet for you

I actually just found one here:
http://www.theagencystar.com/download_files/Interactive_DnD_4.0_Character_Sheet.pdf

Note sure if it's any good as, like I said, I just found it smile
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:46:55 PM by IceBear » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »

And I just found a modifiable one based off of Wizard's template over here. Apparently they're popping up all over the place.

EDIT: Now to find a nice Excel based one. I have one from 3.5 I've modified up from somebody else's work, but I never worked on it to convert it to 4th.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:55:54 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »

Oh, I've seen lots of Excel sheets as well - shouldn't be too hard finding one.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2008, 03:44:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 27, 2008, 02:53:57 PM

And I just found a modifiable one based off of Wizard's template over here. Apparently they're popping up all over the place.

I like this.  Thanks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2008, 07:50:43 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 27, 2008, 03:44:57 PM

I like this.  Thanks.

I've found at least one mistake on that sheet so far, the surge value rounded up instead of down when I input my HP's.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2008, 07:53:52 PM »

Doh - it's autocalculating?  I just want something that's form fillable.  Most likely it'll be fixed soon, but thanks for pointing that out
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »

Just got home and will look at suggestions soon, but yes, mine was from the for pay site Icebear mentioned.  It was the first I found.  I like autocalculating because it helps me figure out what is going on at first.

Okay, I'll ask questions and look stupid now and hopefully avoid that for later.  On p 92, Paladins, Holy Strike talks about (as many other places do) the [W].  Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier radiant damage....    What does the W mean?
And I'm not sure where Wisdom applies to the Holy Strike.  I'm NOT saying it doesn't but I'm not grasping it.  I liked the thought of Holy Strike because the Undead really, really annoy me!  And my character as well.

IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2008, 10:05:57 PM »

Ok, the [W] is a placeholder for your weapon's damage.  So if you were using a longsword you'd replace [W] with 1d8 and if you were using a shortsword you'd replace it with 1d6.

Holy Strike states that it does 1[W] + Str modifier radiant damage.  It also states that if you marked the target you do extra damage equal to your Wis bonus (0 in your case).  You make a good point about it doing radiant damage and undead are vulnerable to it, but you have to be fighting undead to get the bonus and you can only use it once in a fight for basically basic attack damage.

If you took Valiant Strike then you could use it in any fight whenever you are surrounded and really need to hit something (as you get a bonus to hit the more opponents are next to you).

Enfeebling Strike would do one point of damage less than Holy Strike (it uses Cha mod instead of Str) but then any marked opponent would be at -4 to hit.

You did make a good point about radiant damage and undead, just not sure how often it would come up

Also, I cannot stress enough that as a fighter you should be marking a target every turn.  That means they'll be taking a -2 penalty to hit if they attack someone other than you, and you get to make an opportunity attack if they attack someone other than you.  This tends to mean that the monsters will be attacking you more (which is good - that's your job) but it also means you'll need more hp (which was why I was suggesting moving Con and Dex around)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:19:05 PM by IceBear » Logged
Hemlock Bones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2008, 10:09:05 PM »

The [W] stands for weapon damage die (d4, d8, d10 depending on weapon).  So 1[W] would be 1d8 (sword), 2[W] would be 2d8.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2008, 10:23:39 PM »

New Adventure is up

http://www.wizards.com/download.asp?filename=155_Sleeper.pdf
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2008, 01:01:24 AM »

Okay, I changed part of my character and posted a new page one on my original post on the first page of this thread.  I'll take a look at an alternative half-elf skill.  Feedback is very appreciated.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2008, 02:57:18 AM »

Quote from: Rich on June 27, 2008, 07:50:43 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on June 27, 2008, 03:44:57 PM

I like this.  Thanks.

I've found at least one mistake on that sheet so far, the surge value rounded up instead of down when I input my HP's.

I was just filling out mine, and I notice that my +1 strength modifier is not being properly added to my Fortitude save.  I'm going to add a +1 to one of the Misc. boxes until it's fixed....

-Autistic Angel
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »

This one is form-fillable but doesn't auto-calculate as far as I know

http://www.dragonavenue.com/downloads/4eCharacterSht_kiznit_v1_form.pdf

Actually, ckeck out this whole site - some good stuff
http://www.dragonavenue.com/dnd/resources/
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »

And while you're finishing up your characters, think about this:

The Romans apparently played D&D (or some other d20 based game) back in their hayday. Thanks to Bill Harris for finding that out. biggrin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: