http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 06:35:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Game of--er, I mean-- War of the Realm online  (Read 4348 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »

http://waroftherealm.com/

So basically, an online company has basically taken almost all of the A Game of Thrones boardgame mechanics, rethemed and repackaged them, and put them online.  It's shady, lacks courtesy, but on the other hand it's currently the only good way to play this game online.  It's called War of the Realm.

For those that don't know, the A Game of Thrones boardgame was a bit like the old Avalon Hill boardgame, Diplomacy, except a bit more complex and based in a fantasy universe.  The idea is that players have to conquer the game, but don't really have enough strength to do it alone.  As such, they must make alliances to achieve their goals, all the while backstabbing other players and watching out for knife in the back as well.

It does some things the boardgame doesn't, namely add new maps with different setups, but for the most part all the mechanics are the same.  The new maps aren't as strategically interesting as the boardgame's map though.  Part of the problem with the boardgame was finding the time and players to play the game.

Still, anyone want to start a game of this?  There's a "casual" speed where you can log in to take your turn as it comes up, kind of like play by email, except you still log into the site to take your turn.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:53:11 AM by Turtle » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »

I've never played A Game of Thrones, but I did play a lot Diplomacy with the AD&D gang back in college whenever everyone got tired of RP'ing. How much more complex is AGOT compared to Diplomacy? I'm surprised no ones made a Vassal module for it since a lot of players that use vassal are fairly versed in voice chat apps.

Quote from: Turtle on February 28, 2009, 11:50:43 AM

There's a "casual" speed where you can log in to take your turn as it comes up, kind of like play by email, except you still log into the site to take your turn.

Isn't this what's called Play By Web (PBW)? I've heard about it a number of times, but haven't ever tried it. It seems like it would put a bit of a damper on a game that featured a lot of verbal diplomacy though.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »

Yeah I'm not sure how well this would work as a PBW game, but I'd give it a shot.  I have the boardgame but never get to play it. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »

Alright, there's enough to play based on interest here and on OO, anyone can invite friends too.

Sign up and look for: "Vert's Casual Game" then join that game.  Unfortunately, I can't set it private, but it doesn't look like many are using the service yet.

There are silver and gold memberships available that have extra options, but it's not needed.

I've set the turn limit at 24 hours.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »

Did this already fill up?  I don't see your game, and I don't see a way to search for games.  If I go to "casual games" there's just a list of the current open games, and yours isn't in there.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: