http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:36:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd Edition AD&D is kinda back!  (Read 1294 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2013, 01:20:49 AM »

3 of the books (Players Handbook, DM's Guide and Monstrous Manual) are back as reprints.  50 bucks a pop but damn they look nice.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:36:00 AM »

Ah, memories. I grew up on 2nd edition. Never played when I was old enough to really do it right though... 2nd graders don't make the best DM's  icon_wink

I still have a couple of my old dungeons from back then in a drawer somewhere
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:34:41 AM »

Funny thing, that's the only version of D&D I never liked. Filled to the brim with rules for the sake of rules. From what I can tell, most of people's good memories come from the use of house rules.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »

I still have all of my 2nd edition books I believe, and have a group of friends considering starting up a 2nd edition campaign.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »

Still have quite a bit of 2nd Ed stuff.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »

Kinda funny that D&D4 has ended up bombing so hard they had to re-release the older editions to get some D&D love back.

Okay well, people are still playing 4th edition, but by now it's clear it's just not as popular.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:10 PM »

I really enjoyed playing 4th Edition, however at higher levels, combat bogged down too much.  I am looking forward to D&D Next, and still have a soft spot for the older editions.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 23, 2013, 08:27:10 PM

I really enjoyed playing 4th Edition, however at higher levels, combat bogged down too much.  I am looking forward to D&D Next, and still have a soft spot for the older editions.

Pathfinder replaced D&D for me.  Not sure I have much interest in Next.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »

The dance is over for tabletop RPGs unfortunately. The music has long-since stopped, though there are some stragglers on the floor that haven't realized it yet.

They aren't bringing in new people. The younger set are either playing warhammer/CCGs or computer/console games.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 25, 2013, 05:11:24 PM

They aren't bringing in new people.

You have something to back this up?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 25, 2013, 07:23:42 PM

Quote from: Misguided on May 25, 2013, 05:11:24 PM

They aren't bringing in new people.

You have something to back this up?

Nope. Just my perception. I have teenage children and to the best of my knowledge none of their friends play. Instead they roleplay in games like WoW, TSW, etc. there are simply any more creative outlets these days.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 06:36:56 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 23, 2013, 08:49:39 PM

Quote from: Arkon on May 23, 2013, 08:27:10 PM

I really enjoyed playing 4th Edition, however at higher levels, combat bogged down too much.  I am looking forward to D&D Next, and still have a soft spot for the older editions.

Pathfinder replaced D&D for me.  Not sure I have much interest in Next.

Ditto, but to be honest I'm not a big fan of any of the the editions of D&D. If I play in, or run a campaign, with any D&D edition now it's PathFinder/3.75. For the most part though, I just adapt my D&D and PathFinder settings to True20 which I find to be a more balanced system. I downloaded the Next beta and it looks decent. I really haven't played enough 4e to know whether it's an improvement or not.

When I played D&D back in the day it was 1st Ed and I was on pretty much on my way out of the hobby when 2nd Ed arrived. I did think some of it was an improvement over 1st Ed, but features like THAC0 were a too whacky for my tastes.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:41:14 AM by kronovan » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 25, 2013, 09:54:51 PM

Nope. Just my perception. I have teenage children and to the best of my knowledge none of their friends play. Instead they roleplay in games like WoW, TSW, etc. there are simply any more creative outlets these days.

Was curious if you'd seen some stats on it.  I do Pathfinder Society at my local friendly game store and I do see some younger people come in to play.  I'd been under the impression that sales for Pathfinder had still been pretty strong, but it could just be us old dudes.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 26, 2013, 09:51:47 PM

Quote from: Misguided on May 25, 2013, 09:54:51 PM

Was curious if you'd seen some stats on it.  I do Pathfinder Society at my local friendly game store and I do see some younger people come in to play.  I'd been under the impression that sales for Pathfinder had still been pretty strong, but it could just be us old dudes.

Pathfinder almost always ranks in the top 2 PnP RPG's for sales, often nudging out D&D 4e for top spot. That's based on IcV2's  samplings who do less than a full market analysis (interviews conducted with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers) for their surveys. Still, what I've seen from their reports is reflected with what I generally see in the RPG section of LGS's in terms of what's there and what's selling. What I've been told by people who write and publish in the PnP industry, is that there's fairly healthy growth amongst young people that are the children of previous or current PnP players, but there isn't a lot of growth for young people with no connection to the hobby. For the young people that are playing, previous experience with MMORPG's apparently is more of a driving factor than a deterrent. I know from my own son, who currently GM's a Pathfinder campaign, that that's certainly true for him and his players.

As to Pathfinder play, it's by far the most popular PnP RPG table in my city right now and the local Pathfinder society is almost 50 members strong despite being only a few months old. I've sat in on a few of their sessions and there's almost always a few teens and a handful of players in their 20's playing. As well, the number of  Pathfinder and D&D tables running in my city now is definitely higher than it was a few years ago. So my general impression at least with my neck of the woods, is that they're far from dead.

As to AD&D 2nd Ed, I don't know of any tables in my area running it, but that might change with this republishing of it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:43:56 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: