http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 04:27:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *edit* I'm playing a boardgame with myself!!  (Read 7440 times)
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 04:42:03 PM »

Back in the sixties through the early ninties, when I was a board wargame enthusiast, I played practically every game by myself. First of all, just finding someone to play the more complex games I enjoyed was tough. Also I enjoyed them as an activity rather than a competition, figuring out how the game system worked and how to best play the game.

My wife, when we moved into our first apartment after we got married (29 years ago  eek), built me a ten foot by thirty inch table so I could leave "Campaign For North Africa" set up continuously for several months (which btw was how long it took to play it  icon_wink). We had one bedroom to sleep in, the other bedroom became my game room. Probably why we are still married after 29 years  thumbsup.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:26:02 AM by Roscoe » Logged

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008, 03:27:50 AM »

Are you telling me that you actually finished a complete game of Campaign for North Africa?  That's both amazing and scary.

For those of you who don't know, it's one of the more legendary monster wargames (these being games that are huge and incredibly detailed, and designed to be played by multiple people over the course of weeks, if not months).  Campaign for North Africa is really intended to be played with four players on each side, with one player controlling the army, navy, and air force, and one person acting as the supply officer.

That's right, someone has to track supplies, because this game tracks everything.  Food, ammo, fuel, uniforms, water, everything is tracked.  Not only is it tracked, it is consumed (obviously), evaporates (faster for the British initially, because their gas cans were faulty, but the rate goes down at a certain point because they start copying the German gas cans), and gets spilled.  The best rule in the game? Italian units need more water to...wait for it...cook their pasta. 

It's a mind-bogglingly complex game, and if you managed to play even a chunk of it, my hat's off to you, sir.

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 10:33:12 AM »

I never did finish the full campaign, but after several months I was rather worn out anyway. Besides the big table I had several shelves so I could organize the couple of thousand (IIRC) counters. The rather thick game manual went to work with me every day so I could peruse it at lunch.

Regarding the best rule, that one about the Italian need for more water was one of my favorites too. Another was that while you could not transport live camels by air, you could transport dead ones. Can't remember for the life of me why you might need to transport dead camels, but the rule was there.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »

"Another was that while you could not transport live camels by air, you could transport dead ones. Can't remember for the life of me why you might need to transport dead camels, but the rule was there."

That was in place for the planned (and never released?) expansion pack: Campaign for North Africa - Necromancer.
SwampIrish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 01:19:26 PM »

I just sold my Battlelore game in anticipation of finishing my Command and Colors: Ancients collection. I've already bought the entire Memoir 44 set.  For Battlelore, I felt like DoW was trying to dime it to death with all of those $20 expansions.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: