http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 12:11:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [FFG] Android...  (Read 6418 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2008, 07:03:21 PM »

Okay, Blade Runner style game, using Arkham Horror mechanics...sign me up.  I like the art style they've shown so far, and if Kevin Wilson can replicate some of the magic that Arkham Horror has, then I think it'll be a winner.   (Yes, I like the idea of a game that can defeat me more than 20% of the time.)  I'm impressed that they kept this under wraps until now, and only a little dismayed at the idea.  Maybe they're trying something new with marketing (No pre-hype..just dropping the bomb on people right before release.)

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=68&enmi=Android:  Product page for the game, featuring a short movie.

Also, color me happy about their purchasing of Battle Lore, new WOW Boardgame expansion soon: Scions of Darkness, and the Battlestar Galactica game.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »

oh heck yea!

dream is this the "jinteki" project theyve kept under wraps until recently (and had that semi-viral thing going on for about a month or so now?)

and if so - is it also due out this month (on their upcoming page "jinteki" was listed as november)...???
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »

All signs say 'Yes'.  Interestingly enough, Kevin Wilson (the designer) posted on the message boards about the game.  He said that it is a competitive game, not co-op...so while it looks like it will have some Arkham mechanics...there's some new stuff he hasn't revealed yet.

Release is reporting to be early Dec.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »

Yeah, we had the information on this in the morning:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=12928

The video is there as well.

I'm going to be trying to get a copy from FFG for review.  Hopefully I will still get Battlestar Galactica as well.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »

Quote from: Graham on November 25, 2008, 01:57:00 AM

I'm going to be trying to get a copy from FFG for review.  Hopefully I will still get Battlestar Galactica as well.

Very nice!  BSG looks to be a good game overall!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 25, 2008, 03:48:57 PM

Quote from: Graham on November 25, 2008, 01:57:00 AM

Very nice!  BSG looks to be a good game overall! 

Picked up BSG a couple weeks ago (get it now, if you're going to order from FFG as the price is going from 39.99 to 49.99 soon).  Got two games in last friday night with the gang.  Humans lost both times.  I love the Cylon mechanic in the game but you need to be careful when you're trying to hide which side you're on.  Overall, I give it 4 out of 5 stars.  I think it needs a bit more card variety to push it over the edge to greatness.

p.s. like i need another game, but damn if you folks haven't put Android on my radar now.   icon_mad  icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:47:55 AM »

they actually put the rules up within the last few days (i check the site every week or so just because i like their stuff)

its a pretty hefty ruleset (downloaded the pdf) at forty odd pages - i did a little more than skim / little less than read them and it seems interesting.  they obviously wanted to work A LOT of different mechanics into the game - and did hehehe.  honestly im curious what was CUT from the game if this much stuff went in (actually, im thinking maybe nothing smile)

i know all games are like this to a degree, but it seems like the kind of game where the winner doesnt really matter (its just adding up a bunch of points).  from my short time with the rules i could honestly say that were i to play this game, i would do so without really giving a hoot toward scoring those points - it would just be about going through the narrative or being the detective.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:18:44 AM »

My main concern for this game, and one of the reasons why I don't own games like Runebound or Arkham Horror, is that there might not be enough player interaction.

On one side, you have games like Camelot or BSG where you have to interact all the time to do things and affect each other as you play.  In Arkham Horror and Runebound, you basically travelled separate paths along the board doing things until somebody won.  If I wanted to play a game like that, I'd play a single player video game.

I'm liking the theme and what they want to do with Android, but I'll have to read the dev diaries and rules to see if there is enough player interaction to make this worthwhile for me and my group.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 04:19:40 PM »

I was briefly interested in this game, but then I read a couple of previews about a guy who got half-way through the game in 4 hours, started again later, got half-way through the game again in 4 hours ... I definitely don't have that kind of time.  I can't even get Arkham Horror on the table these days, and find that I rarely want to play long games anyway.  Combine that with the obviously complex rule set, and I am definitely passing on this one.  I'm sure it will get the grognard's juices flowing, but I'm a more "casual" board gamer with only about 30 games in my collection. slywink
Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 04, 2008, 06:18:44 AM

My main concern for this game, and one of the reasons why I don't own games like Runebound or Arkham Horror, is that there might not be enough player interaction.

I can understand this about Runebound, but Arkham is a cooperative assault against the board.  Play with any one of the expansions thrown in and you're facing at best a 60% chance of winning.  I find that if you have the players all move and act simultaneously you get fantastic cooperation, squabbles and great entertainment.  If everyone really does run off and do their own thing, I can't imagine ever winning.  It's nothing like the multiplayer solitaire that is Runebound.

Maybe I'm lucky and my group just gets really into things.  We split up tasks, helped each other out and everyone had to scramble when someone invariably got eaten/driven mad mid-mission.  Arkham also creates great stories to tell, from our motorcycle driving, shotgun wielding nun saving everyone's ass to my friend showing up at the police station completely deranged, dragging a flamethrower behind him, and lugging a wagon load of charred corpses.  His immediate promotion and subsequent run as deputy was marked by a blazing hell-wagon zooming through the streets burning any evildoers who dared to haunt the night.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »

Ah, interesting story about Arkham.  I guess it forces cooperation due to difficulty, and that the goal literally is to stop the horror rather than to become the most powerful.  I may have to give arkham a buy next time I'm in shops, alongside the Battlestar Galactica game too.

This game is also competitive, but it does seem to have some interaction, but not really direct opposition.  It seems you can adversely affect character stories by taking and use dark character cards.

Also, contrary to how it's presented, it looks like the game isn't a deduction game like Clue and its clones, but instead it's more of a bidding war, you bid and wager evidence against characters and the one that ends up with the most evidence against him is convicted.  But then after that you also get scored on other things you did in the game like uncovering conspiracies and dealing with personal problems.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »

I really wish Fantasy Flight would try and get their game lengths down.  I love a lot of their games, but I frequently can't arrange a play session of a 3+ hour game.  There's definitely a place for longer games, and I'm glad I own them and love playing them, but it would be nice to have a few of their style of games that was short enough to get to the table more frequently.  Anything under two hours would be grand.

Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 12:37:32 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 10, 2008, 04:20:23 PM

I really wish Fantasy Flight would try and get their game lengths down.  I love a lot of their games, but I frequently can't arrange a play session of a 3+ hour game.  There's definitely a place for longer games, and I'm glad I own them and love playing them, but it would be nice to have a few of their style of games that was short enough to get to the table more frequently.  Anything under two hours would be grand.

Amen.  They need to branch out a bit and make high quality short games.  They also need to learn that more rules is not the same thing as good rules.  Descent is a nightmare for this, and Arkham is still more complicated than it needs to be.  Starcraft might be the best thing they've done so far along this line, although the expansion is probably going to fix that.  icon_neutral

I think their games work well for my group because we rarely go above 3 players and we pick up the rules pretty quickly.  I've heard of people who tried to play 8 player games of Arkham and I cannot fathom how they made it past turn two.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 03:51:47 AM »

Even Starcraft supposedly clocks in at around 3 hours, and will probably require a 30 minute rules explanation.  I generally play games with my friends, and there are only a select few who can sit through a 15+ minute rules explanation (unfortunately, my GF isn't one of those people), and anything over two hours elicits groans from them.  Again, there's definitely a place for the Gamemaster-style games, but there's something to be said for the games with straightforward rules that can be taught on the fly (Wallenstien/Shogun is great for this), and last less than two hours.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 01:31:15 AM »

Someone on BBG put Android this way...  Not only are you playing the detective, but you are the director at the same time.  Having devoured the rulebook and read a fair chunk of the cards, I am now looking forward to playing this over the weekend, along with some Race for the Galaxy with the wife and my sister.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »

let me know how it goes!  i LOVE complex rules, but after going through these i think id be hard pressed to find a good group to play it with

youre lucky dream!  ive said it before and ill say it again - i NEED a boardgame-geekier group of friends!

(and if anyone from ffg reads these boards - you NEED to hurry up and get twilight imperium and / or starcraft up on live!!!)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 10, 2008, 04:20:23 PM

I really wish Fantasy Flight would try and get their game lengths down. 

I started a game of Twilight Imperium III on March 23rd, 2006. 

...we're about halfway through the game now.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 04:31:35 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 12, 2008, 03:50:32 PM

let me know how it goes!  i LOVE complex rules, but after going through these i think id be hard pressed to find a good group to play it with

youre lucky dream!  ive said it before and ill say it again - i NEED a boardgame-geekier group of friends!

(and if anyone from ffg reads these boards - you NEED to hurry up and get twilight imperium and / or starcraft up on live!!!)

Yeah..it's a shame, but the game didn't happen.  I'm still sitting here drooling over the rules though.  Don't feel bad Doopri, I know how it is some days.  I want to play *more* boardgames with friends...but half of my regular group is over in Dallas (and I'm in Ft. Worth).  With three little ones... I can't get out there often enough to play with them.  I even missed out on the D&D 4th Ed game they started.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 07:07:36 AM »

Wow, I didn't realize this was already out.  Did you get a chance to play?  I picked up BSG already not realizing this was here.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »

BSG's a great game, so you won't be disappointed.

I'm gonna take a pass on Android as it seems it might be a difficult sell with the chicago gangs/ohio gangs i play with.  I did FINALLY get a copy of pandemic a couple of weeks ago.  that friggin' thing was out of print for ages.  i'm heading back to ohio for christmas week and i've got friends staying with me for 3 of those days.  i'm going into board game overdrive starting sunday.   icon_biggrin

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 04:54:47 PM »

I also picked up BSG and Pandemic a while back. Unfortunately with the baby I haven't been able to find the time to play them with some friends.  Its a shame neither are available in VASSAL format for online play.

Oh waitaminute:
Vassal Pandemic

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 05:22:14 PM »

Pandemic is awesome.  It's been a huge hit with all the folks I've tried it with.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »

cool, glad to hear pandemic is as much fun as i've heard!  now i really can't wait for this weekend!

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 03:05:37 AM »

The wife and I recently picked up Pandemic. Started the intro game, "This will be easy!" 3 or 4 turns in, hit the 8th outbreak and lost the game.

We did better on our second playthrough, and even though it was the intro game there was a real sense of urgency, once you know the mechanics and what to watch for.

It's a real gem, I'm looking forward to playing it with a bigger group.

I'd LOVE to pick up BSG, but since I have yet to purchase TI3 I really should get it before. And never mind the release of Cosmic Encounter.

I do have a copy of the AA release of Axis and Allies on hold at FLGS, so that eats into any possible boardgame budget. I've went back and forth, though, since A&A:AA would about cover TI3 and the expansion.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »

I'd recommend BSG over twilight imperium 3rd edition any day.  BSG is a game that'll get more play, whereas TI3 is one of those games that just never ends.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 04:00:17 PM »

Yeah, but the scope, scale and setting of TI3 is a perfect fit for me. I only need 3 clones of myself and a time machine for the time needed to have a good game.  icon_confused

I'll eventually pick up both and Cosmic Encounter, pretty certain...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2008, 10:21:14 PM »

I found both Android and BSG under the tree today, along with Ghost Stories.  Tomorrow I think I'm going to pick up a copy of Red November, and that'll be two new co-op, one co-op-ish big group game, plus one massive game that I won't get to play very often.  Awesome.  I think I have something like 100 pages of rules to read (~75 of which are between BSG and Android).

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 10:17:02 PM »

Okay, I had my annual christmas board gaming marathon with a group of childhood friends earlier this week.  The clear winner was BSG.  This was my third time to play and this time it just all clicked.  The first two times we were struggling with some of the rules and we had a player who didn't understand the concept of "cylon" in the context of the game.  This last time it was just perfect.  The guy we thought was a cylon turned out not to be, and my friend's wife who I thought was doubtless a human turned out to be a cylon.  Much, much fun.

Pandemic also turned out to be a winner.  I really enjoyed it.  We put in about 3 games and lost the first two.  It's pretty cool the way the game can suddenly turn on you when you think you have it beat.

Dominion was a close third.  I still love this game but I think people are getting tired of me pushing it on them whenever we all meet up  icon_wink.  If you don't already have it, I highly recommend it.

Finally, I got to play a full game of Touch of Evil (from the folks who brought us the great Last Night on Earth board game).  Although last in the order of games in my opion, it was still great fun.

Someone earlier mentioned Axis and Allies.  I've been drooling over the anniversary edition that was just released.    If i could justify the 80 bucks or more it costs, and was sure I could find willing players in the chicago gang, I'd be all over it. 

edit:  oops, i think the anniversary edition of AA was what greeneggs was talking about.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:19:02 PM by hepcat » Logged

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 02:06:53 AM »

Now you've got me all excited - my copy of BSG arrives on Tuesday.  How many players did you have?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 06:29:23 AM »

I'm also looking forward to getting BSG on the table.  Tonight I had a gaming night with two local friends and a fourth buddy who moved to DC about a year ago.  That move hurt, because four hardcore gamers who are willing to play long games is an excellent number to have, and would mean a lot more games being played.  Unfortunately, only having three local means we don't get much gaming in.  So tonight was something unique these days.

However, we decided to break out Britannia, which we haven't played in a while.  A good five hours later (and a hosing of epic proportions for me), and we had a good time.  Fortunately, the guy from DC is planning on moving back to the area within a year, so when that happens, I can finally start playing all these more hardcore games I keep buying.

You know, I noticed something tonight: Android's rulebook is actually longer than the rulebook for Here I Stand, a hardcore, 8 hour, 6 player, in-depth wargame set in the Protestant reformation.  For real?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 08:23:40 AM »

Yeah, but FFG's rulebooks tend to have a lot more whitespace and graphics, which makes things easier to read and understand.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »

True, they do have a lot more page-filling images, but I don't agree that their rulebooks are easy to understand.  A lot of them are very sloppily put together, with rules affecting one area spread throughout the book.  Look at War of the Ring, Britannia, Warrior Knights, Arkham Horror, etc.  All have rulebooks that make the game look much more complicated than it is, and finding a particular rule when you need to clarify something is not easy at all. 

I almost wish they'd go to using the x.x.x system that wargames use.  Yeah, it looks nasty, but it's incredibly useful when referencing rules later.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on December 28, 2008, 02:06:53 AM

Now you've got me all excited - my copy of BSG arrives on Tuesday.  How many players did you have?

all games I've played have been with 5 players so far.  With 6 players (and I think maybe 4) you get to use an extra rule for sympathizers, but I've never had the chance to try it.

I really think it shines the closer you get to 6 players, though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: