http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 06:03:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Edition]FR Campaign Writeup  (Read 1822 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »

This thread can be used to tell the tales of our exploits, to keep from cluttering up our old thread.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:27:44 PM »

Gather around folks... for I have a story to tell...

Please allow me to first introduce myself, my name is Keothi.  Please do not be alarmed by my appearance, perhaps my kind are not well known in these parts but soon you will come to appreciate the talents and abilities of us Goliaths.  The tip of my hair reaching an awe inspiring 8 feet...I am an impressive physical specimen if I do say so myself.  I am a Warden, a defender of nature...though don't let that fool you into thinking that I am some sort of mamby-pamby tree hugger.  I have a trusty warhammer that I will without hesitation use to bash in the skulls of those who stand in my way.  I draw upon the strength of the very stone and earth around me to land devastating crushing blows.  Don't let this hide armor I wear lull you into thinking I will be an easy target, I am more hardy than most and can absorb quite the beating without even flinching.  So enough about me...you are more interested in my latest adventure I assume.  Get cozy, with these large lungs I have been known to be a bit long winded.

It all started a few weeks ago, when I was notified by messenger that my services had been retained by a small time mayor of a no name town.  Apparently this so called "mayor" sent a boy, (his town militia), to do a man's job...the job of a an adventuring party.  The details were brief at best, stating merely that a dwarf going by the name Copperknight had begun excavating near town.  Mr. Mayor was paranoid that the dwarf was up to no good, so he sent out his town militia to investigate, unfortunately the militia never returned.  So now he was calling in some pro's to clean up his mess...when I arrived in town I was met by a local who was instructed to take me to meet up with the rest of the adventurers who had answered to call for help.  I was being led to the town center where the rest of the party was waiting along with the mayor.

The first to great me was an impressive looking dragonborn, Rhakos.  Rhakos had what I can only explain as the sheen of arcane magic about him, yet he announced that he would be manning the front lines...an impressive feat given the state of his leather armor.  For sure I had taken him to be a simple wand waving, finger wiggling spell caster who would assist from the back lines...I was skeptical to say the least.  However, given my knowledge of nautre I have learned to never judge anything by the outward appearance, so I was willing to reserve judgment.

Next was Felpurr, who I immediately could sense was someone with an affinity with nature.  My instincts were correct...Felpurr was a druid.  While very little was communicated, I could tell Felpurr would provide to be quite the powerful ally.  Felpurr had an almost animilistic appearance, one I had not seen before...I decided it would be best to not ask any questions at this point.

Then came Ringo...he was fairly quiet but I was able to gather that he was a ranger.  As a sidenote... while I didn't actually say anything to him, I found it quite interesting that he appeared to be only carrying his bow...let's hope he doesn't have to actually try and defend himself in tight quarters with that thing.

Lastly was another dragonborn, and given his holy symbol proudly displayed I assumed correctly that he was a cleric.  Gorflon approached me and introduced himself, he indeed was a cleric.  Well armored and armed, he stated he fully intended to be right up front with Rhakos, crushing his foes with every ounce of strength his god would provide him.  I was tempted to chuckle, knowing full well that his strength could not compare to mine, but I figured it would be best to not immediately upset the guy who would be healing me.

So with introductions out of the way, it was time for us to set out to find and save the town militia and make sure this Copperknight wasn't plotting anything evil against the town.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:11:30 PM by Arkon » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:28:19 PM »

It was early morning when we set out, I of course was leading the way, scanning the horizon for any signs of trouble.  It was only a few hours walk when we came to the base of a hill with a path leading to what appeared to be a pretty standard stockade fence at the top.  Looking at the tracks that had worn down the grass and weeds Felpurr easily determined that we would be greeted by quite a few kobolds when we reached the top.  As we climbed the hill, we could see that the fence was only a partial fence, with some rubble on the sides.  As we breached the hill, we could hear the kobolds in behind the fence, it was time for a fight...

Perhaps we were a bit brash, perhaps we were a bit over confident...aside from setting a marching order, tactics were not discussed.  Ringo, using his impressive agility and dexterity managed to get the first shot.  He fired two arrows, striking through the heart of the first kobold, dropping it to the ground.  We were off to a good start.  Rhakos followed suit and rushed the northern breach in the fence.  Seeing for the first time the number of enemies we were facing, Rhakos let loose an impressive breath of lightning.  The air was crackling, as screams of pain and agony rose to the air from the kobolds caught in the blast.  Surprisingly two of the kobolds deftly dodged away from the lightning with barely a singe on their armor.  Surprising us all, the kobolds loaded their slings, hitting Rhakos with some of the foulest smelling liquid I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing. 

Felpurr advanced, seizing an opportunity to attack, and unleashed a chilling blast.  The cold winds and ice buffeted the kobolds, pushing them back and noticeably damaging them.  While the kobolds were focused on the previous attack, Gorflon advanced, attempting to get within range to be able to call down the smiting power of his god upon an unlucky kobold...but as it would be, luck was on the side of the kobold who got away unscathed.  Finally I saw an opening...while the rest of the party was occupying the northern breach, I decided to take a more direct approach and I rushed the fence.  It was poorly built and I figured I could make use of the element of surprise by bashing through.  Sadly I underestimated the incline I was climbing and was winded just as I reached the gate in the fence.  No worry, I would just hold my ground for the time.  Unfortunately, given my height...there was no surprise as the kobolds opened the gate and launched forward to attack me.  Stabbing at my knees with their javelins I was grazed, but unfazed.  It would take more than a few pin pricks to hurt me.

As best I can recall, it was at this point that I turned and noticed Gorflon.  He had been hit in the leg and feet by a jar of glue that was so sticky he could barely move.  Every attempt to take a step ended with his foot crashing back down...it was as if the earth itself was grasping him.  While the kobolds numbers had been thinned, they were organized and were taking advantage of the terrain.  They were expecting this encounter and were much better prepared than we would have ever guessed.

Ringo had finally reloaded his bow and he fired with the accuracy of a blind man.  I am pretty sure I could hear the kobolds laughing...but this provided just the distraction we needed to press the attack.  Rhakos advanced, shrugging off the horrid stench, and unleashed some sort of arcane magic via his sword.  The sword ignited into a green flame as he swept it through the ranks of kobolds who had closed to within range.  I was rather surprised...I had doubted Rhakos when he said he would be manning the front lines...but no more.  His prowess with his sword was impressive, and while he was taking a bit of a beating, he was still standing, showing no signs of the pain he was in.

Gorflon, still struggling with the glue he was bound by, was unable to advance, however he was within range to speak words of healing to Rhakos, closing the wounds and softening the bruises Rhakos had.  With one last surge of strength Gorflon managed to break free.  Felpurr unleashed another gust of icy wind.  This time, in an attempt to push the kobolds, the kobolds resisted as best they could, but in the end fell prone to the ground.  Seeing an opening, Felpurr advanced to assist Rhakos.

Finally...I turned my attention to the pests in front of me...drawing my warhammer I called upon the strength of the earth around me, swinging down to crush the kobolds.  I underestimated their small stature and missed badly, leaving myself open for attack.  Knowing that I was vulnerable I braced myself, tightening my muscles in an attempt to shrug off incoming damage.  Thankfully it worked...the kobolds attacked and hit, however by tightening my muscles I was able to keep the javelins from piercing the skin.

Impressed with my staying power, Gorflon decided he would be most useful in helping Rhakos.  To many it may have looked like I was being rather ineffective, but the truth is that I was keeping the attention of quite a few kobolds...it was tactical genius.

Gorflon once again called to the heavens, this time connecting and dropping his target.  The tide of the battle was turning...in the chaos, Rhakos was hit by another stinkpot and also by a gluepot.  He began to vomit, held in place by the glue.  Let's just say I was glad I was so far away from him at that point.  In disgust, Ringo readied another arrow...I think perhaps the stench was affecting him as his arrow flew about 20 feet too high...hopefully there was no one on the other side of the hill.  Next thing I know, Felpurr shifted into a ferocious beast and pounced on the downed kobold.  The kobold was severely damaged and bloodied, but was still alive. 

It was time for me to shine...I attacked the nearest kobold, this time landing the blow.  My warhammer came down on his skull with the weight of a mountain, absolutely destroying him.  The kobold crumpled to the ground.  While the party was in awe of my destructive strength, one of the kobolds took advantage of the distraction to scramble down a ladder into the excavation.  It was mop up time, we outnumbered the kobolds at this point.  Dispatching the last few, only one remained and Rhakos decided it would be best to attempt and question him. 

I have no clue what any of the conversation was that went on, not understanding the ancient draconic language, but from what I could tell the kobold played dumb, and the party let him go.  Seeing as he was one of the ones stabbing my knees, I preferred the option of dousing him in oil, lighting him on fire and dropping him down into the excavation to send a message...I was overruled and the kobold was let go.  Tired, we decided it would be best to take a few moments to and rest, checking the dead for any useful items.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:29:26 PM »

Our first battle was over, our wounds had been healed, and our pride slightly bruised.  We had made it through, but we quickly realized that next time, we would need better tactics or else we may not be so lucky.  Despite being "just kobolds", they had put up one hell of a fight, and made use of great tactics given their overall abilities.  In addition, one of them had escaped down the ladder into the dig site...they would be waiting for us.  Looking around at the rest of the party, I decided it was time I take charge. 

Knowing that I was the most durable of the group, I lit a torch and climbed down the ladder knowing full well I was putting myself in danger.  When I reached the bottom, much to my surprise there were no kobolds waiting for me...at least not that I could see from the meager light of my torch.   Rhakos quickly scurried down the ladder to provide some backup.  In front of us we saw some stairs leading down beyond the edge of our light.  We could hear more kobolds, but could not see them, so we advanced ever so slowly.  We were determined to not make the same mistake a second time, tactics would be employed this time around.  At the base of the staircase there was some ruble with blood on it.  It didn't appear to be fresh blood, so it wasn't from the kobold who escaped down the ladder.  Everyone in the party feared the worst for the town militia, obviously there had been a struggle.

Fearing that the rubble was intentionally placed to put us at a disadvantage in combat, we quickly crossed it, moving into the center of the room.  To the north was another hallway, lined in majestic tapestries, and guarded by a 6 foot tall stone statue of a dwarf.  As my torch lite began to illuminate the hallway, kobolds adorned in scale armor and heavy shields rushed out from behind the statue to attack.  These were no simple minions...these were members of the elite Dragonshield order, they wouldn't be nearly as easy to dispatch.  Behind the Dragonshields, just at the edge of my sight I could see the kobold that got away from us topside...sure enough he had alerted them to our presence.  However he isn't truly what caught my eye, it was the Wyrmpriest that was standing next to him.  This was sure to be a glorious battle indeed.

Rhakos and I moved up to intercept the Dragonshields, taking advantage of the narrow hallway we managed to close the distance quickly enough to shield our back lines.  Gorflon moved up to intercept as well, providing support to both Rhakos and I.  My blood was pumping...this time I would really show my worth.  Gorflon spoke words of encouragement, Ringo readied his bow and Felpurr began sizing up the targets, looking for the perfect time to strike.  Rhakos let loose his lightning, the kobolds braced themselves.  I was so close I could feel the tinge of electricity crawling over my skin.  The Dragonshields laughed...they were elite soldiers, they would not so easily be defeated.  The Wyrmpriest seized the moment and let an orb of energy fly...it flew between Rhakos and I, barely missing and burst against the wall behind us. 

Felpurr had found his mark, the Wyrmpriest would pay.  A breeze ruffled my hair as it blew past... you could see your breath as the temperature dropped.  The Wyrmpriest was hit, but was more resilient than expected, brushing the frost from his skin, you could almost sense him saying..."Come on, is that all you got?"  Furious, the Wyrmpriest called out to his allies encouraging them to press the attack.  At this point, the front line had been drawn, 2 Dragonshields and a striker had advanced to my position.  Drawing upon the strength of a glorious mountain ram, I lunged forward, putting all my weight into my attack in an attempt to send my foes flying backwards.  With an agility I have never seen before from foes in such heavy armor, they easily evaded my advance, pushing me back in the process.

The battle raged, Ringo still cursed with bad luck was firing wildly, arrows bouncing off of the walls, allies ducking in the hope they would not be hit by friendly fire.  Felpurr was throwing everything he had at the Wyrmpriest, spells were flying.  Finally Felpurr landed a solid hit with a lightning strike.  The air around the Wyrmpriest was buzzing, he had taken damage but much more was coming unless he moved out of the area.

Apparently, none of us were very good at fighting in these conditions, whether it was the lighting, or the caliber of our enemies, many of our attacks were either barely wounding the kobolds, or they were merely glancing off of their heavy armor.  Seeing the stalemate, the Wyrmpriest managed to spring a trap, pulling some hidden rope, a tapestry fell on Rhakos, blinding and immobilizing him.  We had to react with force...we were all wounded and tired, but we had to reach deep and press the attack.

Ringo finally managed to find some luck, landing some solid shots into the kobolds...the tide began to turn.  I pushed forward clearing some space to protect Rhakos.  While trying to get the tapestry off of Rhakos, a kobold striker rushed the statue of the dwarf and attempted to push it forward onto us.  In all the chaos we were too busy to notice that the statue had been rigged to fall over.  Thankfully the kobold was weakened and was unable to budge the statue...seeing this the Wyrmpriest advanced to assist.  It was now or never so I lunged forward, putting my shoulder into the statue, knocking it back right on top of the Wyrmpriest.  Luck was finally on our side, Rhakos was freed from the tapestry and our hits were finally breaking through the heavy armor of the Dragonshields.

It had been a long battle...we were tired, bruised and battered but we had won.  As we searched the area, looking for anything we might be able to use, we rounded the corner of the hall and noticed there were large wooden doors at the end...as hard as this battle was, obviously it appeared as tho it wouldn't be the last.  We decided it would be best to take a moment to collect ourselves, heal some wounds and catch our breath.

This was a true trial by fire for our rag tag adventuring party.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:23:48 PM »

We approached the door, getting more and more cautious as we went.  If the previous battle was any indication, what awaited us in the next room was going to take great tactics and heroics from everyone in the party.  We debated, should we try busting down the door hoping that the sight of an 8 foot tall Goliath turning the door into splinters would break morale and perhaps thin the ranks?  Should we try seeing if the door will just open?  Was it trapped, or were we being paranoid?  We could hear the rustle of some kobolds on the other side...were they blissfully unaware of our presence?  Had they assumed that the Wyrmpriest and Dragonshields would make quick work of our party?  We decided that perhaps they were unaware and if the door would just open, perhaps we could catch them by surprise.  Slowly I opened the door and the party quickly moved through.

Success!  We had in fact managed to surprise them, and we immediately launched our assault.  I took the initiative and charged the nearest kobold, hoping to expel some of my pent up rage.  This adventure had been a disappointment for me, despite my physical prowess these kobolds had been skillfully evading almost every single one of my attacks.  I was feeling useless to the party, being nothing more than a moving shield to draw the attacks of our enemies.  Only 2 kobolds out of the tens of kobolds we had faced thus far had fallen beneath my mighty warhammer.  It was at this moment that I knew I would redeem myself...and then it happened.  I didn't keep my eye on my target, I was startled as I burst into the room and saw just how many kobolds there were.  We were outnumbered 3-1...and that was just with what I could see from where I was.  Looking back to my target I swung my warhammer with all my might.  The little bastard ducked and cackled with glee as my warhammer connected with nothing but the wall.  I was ashamed...I could do nothing more then attempt to taunt some of the kobolds into attacking me.

Rhakos was next into the room behind me, there was a fire in his eyes, he wanted to end this fast.  He let loose with his lightning breath, aiming it spectacularly I stood in awe as kobold after kobold crumpled to the ground...bodies still twitching from the electrical current flowing through them.  In one fell swoop we were now only outnumbered 2-1.  Rhakos stood proud, looking over the devastation he had just brought down upon the vermin...he choose a nearby target, pointed to him and simply said..."You're next!"

Gorflon, Ringo and Felpurr all took advantage of the chaos that had just ensued to enter the room.  Ringo let fly two arrows, both finding their mark, burrying deep into the chest of a kobold...except this kobold barely looked injured.  I looked on in amazement and then realized this was no ordinary kobold, this was a slyblade...in fact there were two of them.  The kobold slblade snapped the arrows off and launched an attack.  I was the closest target and he slashed at me with a sword in each hand.  His expert aim found it's mark with both strikes, drawing a good amount of blood.  It hurt, but it would not deter me.  Gorflon tried to catch the slyblade off guard, but the kobold easily parried the attack.  The kobolds blades were almost singing they were moving through the air so fast.

Felpurr had seen enough and called upon the chilled winds...blasting the kobolds with frigid air, knocking them back.  another kobold was down, however the slyblades both stood firm.

At this point we heard what I can only describe as a booming voice coming from an alcove that we could not see into...."Finish them already, they are weak...they are nothing...destroy them!"

The other slyblade took this queue and launched and attack against Rhakos, but his swords merely deflected off of Rhakos' leather armor.  I had finally recovered from my horrendous miss and called upon nature itself to aid me.  My skin took on the appearance of the bark of a willow, my reach extended offering protection to my allies around me.  I attempted to strike at the slyblade who had just attacked me moments ago, but again my weapon was turned aside.  Gorflon came to my aid, calling down a sacred flame, singing the slyblade...he was now badly hurt.  Ringo let loose another volley of arrows, both finding their mark in the second slyblade.  We were quickly gaining the upper hand, and apparently the voice from the alcove had seen enough, and out from the shadows he stepped....it was a white dragon wyrmling!

The wyrmling contemplated using his iced breath against us, but that would have heavily damaged his few remaining kobolds and he couldn't take that risk...instead he sat there...patient, taunting us.  Felpurr evidently has dealt with a wyrmling before and so he launched an all out assault, encapsulating the wyrmling in a prison of wind.  The wyrmling winced in pain, but looked no worse for wear.  I am not positive, but I could have sworn I heard Felpurr taunting the wyrmling... something along the lines of "we don't want to fight you, we just came for your eggs, they make a great omelet..."

While surveying the battlefield to determine my best option Rhakos disappeared, and in a clap of thunder reappeared next to one of the slyblades, slashing his sword deep into the slyblades side.  Gorflon, empowered by Rhakos' assault attacked the slyblade as well, once again calling down a sacred flame...the flame hit, dropping the slyblade to one knee...he was badly wounded. 

The wyrmling gathered his strength, breaking free of his prison to advance and assault Rhakos, however this scattered the wind, hitting the slyblade with enough force to knock him prone.  The wyrmling lashed out with his claws, digging in to Rhakos.  Ringo fired a salvo of arrows into the wyrmling, digging deep into the wyrmling's flesh.  I looked to Rhakos, he was badly hurt... I needed to act.  I had to get over my previous failing... I had to summon my strength and be the  force of nature that I know I am.  I once again called upon the strength of a mighty mountain ram and I lunged out with every ounce of energy in my body and I connected with the wyrmling...square in the chest with my warhammer.  With a thud you could hear bones snapping...I pressed my advantage by directing the blow and pushing the wyrmling between myself and Gorflon.  I had attacked with so much rage, that the force of my attack killed the slyblade who had been lying prone at my feet.  Filled with rage and adrenaline I attacked once more...as if hardening my hammer with the very granite we were surrounded by I came down on the head of the staggered wyrmling...his neck snapped under the immense pressure...and like that it was over...finally I had come through when it was most needed.

If still alive, the dwarves and the town militia would have to wait just a bit longer... we had some serious wounds to attend to.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »

Damn, I really don't want to interrupt your thread with my crap - but great job Arkon.  Love reading about the group's adventures - especially because my time is too limited to play right now.  Fine job, young fella.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:51:28 PM »

Now what we need to do is play more often, just so you can write more of our 'story' in our adventures. biggrin

Excellent work capturing all the highlights of our adventure so far.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:00:33 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 05, 2009, 12:02:07 AM

Thanks LD and Destructor...honestly I was rather scared writing this.  I am not exactly confident with my writing abilities.

Bah. You did a fantastic job with it. Now take it a step forward and do it all in character. biggrin

And as Arkon said - too bad you can't join us, Lockdown. I remember our previous adventure quite well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 01:21:20 AM »

You are doing a great job with the story.  I'm amazed at how will you remember this stuff.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »

...Our wounds attended to, it was time to survey our surroundings and get to the business of finding the town militia and the dwarves...if they were still alive.  Personally I had my doubts, given our encounter with a wyrmling, but I figured it best to not cast such a long shadow on the hopes of the group.

While everyone was looking around for treasure, I took it upon myself to "salvage" any valuable parts of the white wyrmling.  I figured we would have plenty of time, so with carefully planned precision, I skinned the beast, retrieved the eyes and the claws.  Surely these would come in useful at some point, in some way.  It had been a long day, so I decided to lighten the mood a bit.  Donning the skin of the wyrmling I walked up to the rest of the group..."Look at me, I am a dragonborn now too!".  Needless to say Gorflon and Rhakos were a bit taken back.  I couldn't tell if they wanted to kill me, or if they were just trying hard to stifle a laugh...but it was mission accomplished.

It was at this point that we heard some voices coming from the south, behind a locked door.  We were in luck, it was the town militia members as well as the dwarves!  Well, perhaps luck isn't the best word for it all...Mr. Copperknight was quite displeased to see what had become of his "temple".  I had to hold back a laugh when the little fella tried calling this paltry cave a temple.  Who in their right mind builds a temple underground.  Gorflon was tripping over himself trying to offer assistance to the dwarves.  Personally I figured saving their hides was assistance enough but Gorflon insisted upon giving the dwarves some gold.  (Let's just say I am making sure that gold comes out of his share of the reward.  The bastards were so ungrateful I should have squashed them right then and there.)  Seeing how poorly armed the militia members were, I suggested that they take this chance to scavenge the many dead kobolds and better equip themselves, before the rest was sold off for profit.  

We of course made sure to escort the town militia members back to the safety of their puny village.  With that, the day was done, our contract had been fulfilled.  All that was left was a return journey back to Loudwater to collect our pay.  Ringo, disgusted with his overall poor performance decided to take his leave, he put down his bow, vowing to never fire it again and disappeared into the forest.  It is a shame really...he was always keeping us on our toes (seeing as we were always trying to make sure he didn't accidentally hit us).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:39:14 PM by Arkon » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »

Another great chapter, Arkon. And I love how you turned it into something from Keothi's point of view. BTW, I don't recommend trying out your 'I'm a Dragonborn!' trick on anybody else - I'm not sure how well they'll take it. biggrin

And I'm working on my own writeup for this as well, but unlike yours, it'll be done from a journal aspect from Razira's point of view. I figured it would be most interesting doing it from her viewpoint as she can't talk with the rest of the party. It just won't be that long to start (or have that much to do with the story anyway) as I need a summary of what that Dwarf told us yesterday (too much detail there for what notes I jotted down).

Keep up the good work.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »

Okay, this ended up taking a lot longer than it was supposed to. Stinkin' Champions Online Open Beta...

Anyway - this is in two parts. The first is Razira's journal up until this point (spoilered to keep the length of this post down a bit), and the second is pretty much her thoughts as to the party so far. I'll see if I can put up a summary of the fight tonight/tomorrow morning.

From the journals of Razira:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Rhakos has asked me to start keeping a journal of our adventures. While I think he might be better off writing them, he’s told me that this may help my memories come back. I’m not convinced, but it’s a thought. Besides, what do I have to lose?

To start, the first thing I remember is waking up on a healer’s bed with no memories at all as to how I’d gotten there. For that matter, I couldn’t remember anything at all short of what I assumed was my name. The healer wasn’t any help either, as he said I’d stumbled in on my deathbed a week prior. He also couldn’t explain why I couldn’t speak like he could, and he was completely baffled by my way of ‘talking into his mind’ as he put it. I was just glad I had a way to speak, period.

I stayed there for a few months helping out the healer in thanks and doing other minor tasks. It was a small town, but it was apparently on an important path to somewhere as it was always occupied by some adventuring group or another. Eventually, watching them coming and going convinced me to move on with my life – I wouldn’t learn anything of what happened to me by just staying there.

I’d earned enough gold helping out that I took a ship to another part of the mainland. As long as I could pick up a job here and there, I had enough left in reserve to last for a while. But that wasn’t important in the end, as time would tell.

Pirates attacked the ship I was on during the journey. A cannonball exploded nearby and I went overboard. Fortunately, somebody saw me fall, as a cargo net landed in the water nearby not seconds later and I was dragged back on board. My savior was a race I’d never seen before – he called himself a Githyanki – and the two of us helped out the crew when the pirates grappled our ship and invaded us. We succeeded in the fight, but the ship was damaged.

There was something about this person that made me trust him. I still don’t know why, but I let him in on my lack of usual speech, as well as told him my story. He told me his – in short, he’d been a guard on the high seas for the last few years, and this was his final journey. The captain as thanks was going to help him with his official identification papers, and then he was planning on journeying around the Realms to see what he could see.

The two of us joined up in the end. He took the lead against whatever we came across, and I burned and froze whatever got past him. We made a good duo and ended up helping out a few people in the process without getting into too much danger. Goblins and the occasional giant spider weren’t exactly the biggest of threats to our combined strengths.

And then we came across the Podunk town in the middle of what seemed like nowhere. Rhakos joked that the place looked ripe for a Kobold invasion, and I agreed with him. The town guards looked like they were bums off the street, it had no defenses to speak of, and the citizens acted as if they’d given up on life. It’s a far cry from the town where my memories began.

Time to finish this for now – I’m about to have a well deserved meal after the last few hours riding and writing.

-----

We’ve just sat down and ordered a meal from the busty waitress that always seems to inhabit these places, and much to Rhakos’ chagrin, I’m going to keep writing. Hold on…

The most unlikely of trios have just walked through the front door. In the lead is this absolutely huge Goliath. He’s so tall infact that he actually ducked underneath the doorway just to get in. I’m fearful for whatever he sits upon, not to mention the ceiling just inches above his head. And the weapon strapped on his back…I doubt I can even lift it, much less swing it.

Behind him is a Dragonborn. I smile at seeing another of my kind – I haven’t seen too many as of late – and watch as he seems to take the lead of this band and be the first to sit down. He’s the talkative kind, and he only paused once the waitress showed up.

The final member of the trio is a Shifter. He says little to the others as he entered, but I can sense something about him. A quiet fury is deep within him, that much I can tell. That, and magic. Powerful magic.

For that matter, I can sense that all of them have their own kind of magic within. As to what extent, I’m not sure at this point, but I know they are a powerful combination in their own right.

And it seems I’ve caught the Dragonborn’s eye – he’s coming over here right now.

-----

Well, that went well. After a short discussion, we’re part of their band. Seems that the other two in their group (an Elf who was apparently incapable of hitting the broad side of a barn, and a Dragonborn who seems to be a lot like the Rhakos I know) decided to leave after their last adventure.

It’s time to see if I’m right about them and their powers, as now we head as a group to Loudwater to finish the quest they’d come back from only a short while before. And it’s quiet. Too quiet. Time to put this away.

EDIT: Apparently my memory is getting worse instead of better.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:09:14 AM by Destructor » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: