http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 10:18:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign Thread  (Read 58571 times)
CrayolaSmoker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »

MapTool, the program we're currently using, is a free tool. WotC has a tool in development that seems pretty powerful (and certainly more convenient with drag-and-drop monsters from the monster manual), but I haven't seen any info regarding pricing for their stuff yet.

What's cool about MapTool is that it's customizable to whatever game you're playing. Playing some Deadlands? No problem. Playing some Dark Heresy? Yeah, it does that, too. Takes some work on the part of the GM and/or the players in customizing the tool to the ruleset, but the tool is up to the task. MapTool even has support for hex-based movement built-in. It really is an impressive little tool. And, IIRC, it's open-source. So the community isn't just making demands of the programmers, they're helping to make the tool what they need it to be.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2008, 02:20:37 PM »

but I haven't seen any info regarding pricing for their stuff yet.

I've heard it will be $15/month, with discounts for multi-month packages (same pricing scheme as most MMOs). However, at launch they will have special introductory pricing that will be available for a limited time. I'm assuming this could probably be as low as $10/month.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 01, 2008, 02:20:37 PM

but I haven't seen any info regarding pricing for their stuff yet.

I've heard it will be $15/month, with discounts for multi-month packages (same pricing scheme as most MMOs). However, at launch they will have special introductory pricing that will be available for a limited time. I'm assuming this could probably be as low as $10/month.

There's supposed to be some sort of guest-pass thing for people who just want to play in a particular game, too.  I'm not 100% sure on how it's going to be implemented, though. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2008, 03:22:52 PM »

WotC has never impressed me with their electronic tools, so I suspect the 3rd party products will be superior.  That said, that $15 a month will also get you access to the Compendium (which is replacing the old SRD.  Yes, I know there is a 4E SRD, but it doesn't actually contain any rules like the Conpendium does) and Dungeon and Dragon Magazine articles.  If the quality of the magazines stay the same as they are right now, that alone might be worth the cash.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2008, 03:27:57 PM »

BTW - if you feel like adding crafting skills to your game, there's a very detailed set of house rules you can download here:

http://www.merlinrpg.com/TechnoCraftDraft2.pdf
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »

Saturday's game was a blast!  I look forward to the next session.  I haven't played D&D in probably 15 years so it was a nice introduction back into the game for me.

BTW Crayola, I screwed up my HP.  I should be 5 higher.   I missed the rule in the PHB that states if I'm a twin blade ranger that I get Toughness as a bonus feat.  That adds 5 more to my total. 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »

I've updated my character sheet to show that my second language is "Superna" which is used by angels and demons.  I'm not sure when that might ever come in handy, but I figured it made more sense for a cleric than many of the other options.

Are we going to try to play around the same time of day this Saturday?  I can update the original post in this thread to make it easy for people to find when the next intended time is....

Is there a way we can help Turtle get all the MapTool files early so he won't have to download them from scratch on Saturday?  That could save a lot of time and get him right into the game when we start.

-Autistic Angel
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 02, 2008, 02:53:18 PM

Are we going to try to play around the same time of day this Saturday?  I can update the original post in this thread to make it easy for people to find when the next intended time is....

Is there a way we can help Turtle get all the MapTool files early so he won't have to download them from scratch on Saturday?  That could save a lot of time and get him right into the game when we start.

-Autistic Angel

Same time Saturday works for me. I'm going to ask that everyone update to the latest Development build of MapTool (1.3.b34 was released last night), as they've updated the "status" features to handle marking in a far more efficient manner. Unfortunately, the maps I did in 1.3.b32 didn't play nice with 1.3.b33, and I had to redo them. I've shrunk the file size a bit, losing a smidge of detail, but I think the time saved on DL will be worth it (Files are less than half their initial size).

I've also been introduced to a new feature that allows me to store the assets on a remote host, which should allow for faster DL speeds of new assets. I'm going to try to get things set up this evening so that I can leave the server running all day Friday while I'm at work (0700-1900 CST). This should let everyone who wants to get the initial DL out of the way do so without too much fuss.

Not that they're strictly needed. Since you guys are at the city gates, I expect we'll be spending the first part of the next session doing more role playing/investigating than fighting, but that's really up to you guys.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:27:48 AM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »

/Fizzle goes to the local eatery straight away. 

/Fizzle drags the rogue with him in hopes of scoring some free food.

/Fizzle wonders what Dragonborn eat?

/Fizzle hopes it's not halfling!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 03, 2008, 11:11:17 AM

/Fizzle wonders what Dragonborn eat?

/Fizzle hopes it's not halfling!

You'll be safe - you're too stringy and not very good with ketchup.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2008, 11:04:24 AM »

Server is running (should be in the File->Connect to Server->RPTools.net tab):

GT RPG - KotS
password: redesign

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2008, 03:33:04 AM »

Ok I connected and imported my character and his sheet but I notice that the GT Stats in the config menu isn't there, do you need to copy and paste those in or are we going with a different set now?

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2008, 06:39:36 PM »

I've running on a new computer today so I might have some more hiccups.  When the server is up and running again I'll try to download my info and get set up.

I'm still learning the macro stuff, though.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2008, 09:26:14 PM »

Anyone else have a blank list when hitting Connect To Server?

Wait.... it lives!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2008, 02:56:03 AM »

well i THOUGHT elves were supposed to love all things natural and of the world...

i learned (by observation, mind you) that SOME are frigid ice princesses
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2008, 03:04:44 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 05, 2008, 09:26:14 PM

Anyone else have a blank list when hitting Connect To Server?

Wait.... it lives!

That happens to me quite a bit.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2008, 02:47:42 PM »

If anyone has any suggestions on how to speed things up I'm listening.

Macros, if anyone wants the macros to their powers to make them appear like mine did last night so they look like they do in the book let me know what powers you have and I'll post the macro on here so you can just copy and paste it in.

PS3 - PTCynic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »

Quote from: Rich on July 06, 2008, 02:47:42 PM

Macros, if anyone wants the macros to their powers to make them appear like mine did last night so they look like they do in the book let me know what powers you have and I'll post the macro on here so you can just copy and paste it in.

Macros are the big thing right now I think. Everybody has a decent handle (I think at least) of what they can do in a round, so now it's just speeding things up. And not having to look up everything would do it.

And last night definitely went differently than it did the week before. I was actually getting hit for starters. 20AC sure as heck isn't as powerful as it used to be in 3.5. And me rolling a 1 on an Intimidate check wrapped things up quite nicely. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »

while the party searches for gear, binds the kobold priest and mends their wounds giovanni sits back and smokes his pipe, a habit learned from his tutor.  He assesses this motley crew with which hes fallen in

daroman - a womanizing, hard drinking rogue who prefers to brawl over sneak.  has no fear of the front line or a lack of shadows, and no problem striking from them when the opportunity arises

avandras apprentice - a zealous, excuse me - OVERzealous cleric who thinks piety is something to be dispensed with a morning star - but there in a pinch with a rejuvenating word

rhakos - despite his monstrous appearance, this quiet creature is kind hearted, just and honorable.  i feel a kinship with, um, it and think it *edit - he, apparently hehehe - crazy dragons* will check our occasional greed and dishonorable intentions

trevor - a boisterous fighter who seems to occasionally be a bit farsighted - we may need to get him some glasses, or perhaps a longer sword.  also, hes unusually flammable

fizzle - an enigmatic little being.  seems to be wrapped in his studies of the arcane, but always willing to offer a poignant observation or present a line of questioning not thought of

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:07:50 AM by Doopri » Logged
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »

Quote from: Rich on July 06, 2008, 02:47:42 PM

Rich,
I'll take you up on that soon.  I would like to get some pointers on how to do this stuff as well, if that is possible.
I need to do the whole thing including regular attacks, perception, insight, wisdom, etc.
Thanks.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 06, 2008, 06:47:17 PM

while the party searches for gear, binds the kobold priest and mends their wounds giovanni sits back and smokes his pipe, a habit learned from his tutor.  He assesses this motley crew with which hes fallen in

rhakos - despite his monstrous appearance, this quite creature is kind hearted, just and honorable.  i feel a kinship with, um, it and think it will check our occasional greed and dishonorable intentions

Well, thank you very much. With this motley crew though, who knows if I'll be able to keep you in check.

Oh, and BTW - I am a male, thank you very much. I don't take too kindly in being called an 'it'. (looks for a firebreathing emote  icon_twisted)

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »

Sorry I missed out this week guys.  We had some company come over at the last minute and I couldn't make it frown  Maybe for those of us that missed we can do summary posts of what happened on the adventure so we are caught up when we rejoin?

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2008, 11:44:11 PM »

hey faide - yea aremith (sp?) was sorely missed!

basically heres what happened:

we tooled around winterhaven for quite a while.  weve basically be keeping our true intentions (hunting a death cult) on the "down low" - we dont know who may or may not be involved at this point.  basically we told the mayor of the town we were going to hunt some of the kobolds for him, and learned from the captain of the guard that there is possibly a creature known as irontooth who may or may not be involved with the increase in kobold attacks.  theres a missing adventurer who hasnt been seen since he was in town about 3 weeks ago - he was possibly investigating as yet unknown ruins.  finally theres a very helpful barkeep, whos tavern weve been using as a home base, and a less than helpful wizard who seemed to us to have ulterior motives, though the townspeople have pretty much been telling us hes a good guy, hes just leery of outsiders.  we spent the night in town, and set out in the suspected direction of the kobold lair - we were ambushed along the way and ended the night after having captured the apparent leader of the group of kobolds who attacked us.  strangely enough we found a token of a very powerful undead demon on one of the kobolds (possible tie in to the death cult?).  so next time we meet (which WONT be next saturday - crayola is out of town) well be conducting a questioning of the kobold to see what we can get out of him.  anyone else feel free to fill in any gaps i may have missed!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2008, 03:26:01 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 07, 2008, 11:44:11 PM

anyone else feel free to fill in any gaps i may have missed!

That pretty much sums things up. Here's to hoping that I roll greater than a 1 on my next Intimidate roll, as I'm apparently the only person in the group that can talk to our captured little kobold.

One thing I forgot to mention: Everybody's favorite Fighter did NOT burst into flames last week. We were all shocked and dismayed.  icon_twisted

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »

Actually, I think Fizzle can speak Draconic as well.

Unfortunately, he's about as intimidating as a fruitfly.

icon_neutral

LD

hellwolf78
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »

So how was everyones saturday and how did u guys do?So tell me this what do u think of 4e comparaed (cant spell) to 3.5 and what are ur pros and cons between the two..
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »

Lots and lots of new magical toys in the latest Dragon article

http://www.wizards.com/download.asp?filename=365_Bazaar.pdf

As for the pros and cons, what some people consider pros (harder to die at first level) other people consider cons (OMG! Everyone is uber now!!! Where's my gritty everyman-type campaign).  It seems to be a lot of personal preference with 4E - much more than 3.x.  I think some players - the ones that loved min-maxing via multiclassing or those that loved building strange and unique builds will say the character construction in 4E is too narrow.  Other players that were overwhelmed will say it's much easier and streamlined.  As a DM I know making encounters are a zillion times easier and keeping track of wealth levels is so simple now that I can focus more on the creative side of DMing (more places, NPCs, plots, etc) than on the tedious side
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:34 PM »

Sounds like fun!  Let me know if you ever have room for an additional character who could join up in the adventure.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »

When is the next session, I tried connecting to upload my character last Saturday but the server wasn't up?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 10, 2008, 10:11:16 PM

When is the next session, I tried connecting to upload my character last Saturday but the server wasn't up?

Strange, as it was definitely up Saturday.

Anyway - CrayolaSmoker dares to have a life (Tongue), so we won't be playing this Saturday. Next Saturday will be when we'll be getting together again.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:42 AM »

Yeah. I'm pulling the "I'm the DM" card and going to see a musical my wife and I have been dying to see for a couple years on Saturday. (Avenue Q) We leave Monday morning for Orlando, FL, but fly back Friday, giving plenty of time to prep for a game that Saturday, the 19th. I'm thinking same time (4:30P), unless an earlier start works for everyone.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 11, 2008, 08:40:38 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on July 11, 2008, 01:57:42 AM

Yeah. I'm pulling the "I'm the DM" card and going to see a musical my wife and I have been dying to see for a couple years on Saturday. (Avenue Q) We leave Monday morning for Orlando, FL, but fly back Friday, giving plenty of time to prep for a game that Saturday, the 19th. I'm thinking same time (4:30P), unless an earlier start works for everyone.

I stated I couldn't play that day but if the others wanted to play earlier I could maybe join in for awhile before I left for work.

PS3 - PTCynic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »

I'm off all day Saturday, so starting earlier will work fine for me. Gotta feel sorry for some of those East Coasters when our games constantly run late into the night. biggrin

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2008, 05:10:49 PM »

You mean like the sleepy little halfling?

I blame the late hour on why I'm slinging frost rays god-knows-where.

icon_biggrin

LD

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2008, 04:53:07 PM »

I could start at 3:30pm on July 19th if that would help Rich have more time to play.\

Quote from: hellwolf78
So tell me this what do u think of 4e comparaed (cant spell) to 3.5 and what are ur pros and cons between the two.

I learned the basics of 2nd Edition to play Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, and a lot of 3rd Edition for Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, but this is my very first experience with "real" Dungeons & Dragons so I don't really have anything to compare it to.  My newbie impression is that the different At Will and Encounter powers give you a few different ways to approach each round, so you're always reconsidering which ability would be best to use in the current situation.

I'm really looking forward to playing again next Saturday, and I hope we can get Turtle's connection issue sorted out by then! icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2008, 06:07:25 PM »

P.S. - Quote of the game (In the middle of a combat encounter):

"I low-five Fizzle as a free action."

IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2008, 05:45:12 AM »

FYI - WotC has just released errata.  There are some changes and clarification in the PHB, Skill Challenges got an overhaul, and a lot of monsters have hitpoint changes and damage changes.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080716
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »

Thanks for the notice!  I browsed through and didn't see any adjustments to clerics, but there's at least a couple minor clarifications for warlocks and fighters.

When faide coudn't make our last game, CrayolaSmoker asked if anyone else wanted to take control of his character during combat, and I realized that I had absolutely no idea how to be a ranger.  Or an eladrin, for that matter.  These 4th Edition rules do a good job of explaining how each individual power works and what makes it useful, but each race / class combo has so many subtle possibilities to them, it's all you can do to learn the nuances of your own character.

Are we definitely starting at 4:30pm Central this Saturday?

-Autistic Angel
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel
Are we definitely starting at 4:30pm Central this Saturday?

That's the plan. I should be landing tonight at 2300 or so, giving me plenty of time rest and set up for the next session. If something changes I'll post here ASAP.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 18, 2008, 05:14:59 PM »

Speaking of this Saturday...

Everyone's favorite Halfling may be late or MIA altogether, depending on events. 

If by chance I don't make it, I would hope one of you takes over the role of missing with ranged attacks while I'm away.  If you all roll really well, I would of course understand, as it takes significant talent to consistently miss your enemies from less than 6 squares away.  I wouldn't expect everyone to be as gifted at it as Fizzle is.   icon_neutral

LD

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: