http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:12:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 75530 times)
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: April 14, 2013, 01:57:44 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 12, 2013, 02:04:30 AM

After praying, Kriv will assist the acolytes in passing out food and blankets, and offering healing to those in need.

Some turn their backs on Kriv as he approaches with aid, but most of the refugees accept his assistance and are grateful for the help.  All of the wounded refugees have already seen their injuries tended to, but Kriv uses his vast knowledge of battlefield medicine, his divine healing abilities and the assistance of his arcane accomplice to improve on the work of the temple's acolytes.  By the time the paladin is finished, he is sure everyone within the temple will make a full recovery with just a day or two of rest.

Heal = 37 + 2 Jett helper check = 39

Quote from: Destructor on April 13, 2013, 02:55:27 AM

Anyhow...

So now we have a way to get back to Scaleport quickly. Once Jett has taken an extended rest somewhere down the line (as the ritual needs 5 healing surges to cast, and Jett doesn't have that if memory serves), and 4 hours to cast, he'll create a Teleportation Circle (2x2 area, unless there's a good reason why to risk making it larger) in a good spot somewhere in the Fort (more than likely at the Circle he shut down way back when). And then he'll start maintaining it.

And thanks to his new Planar Portal Ritual, he'll be ready to leave whenever on summoned mounts. Just as soon as the rest of the crew decide what to do.

This is all fine.  

Does the party have any other business in Scaleport?

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 14, 2013, 06:46:09 AM »

I think I am ready to head out.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: April 14, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »

We should probably spread the word among the townsfolk that we intend to put the Legate on trial for his war crimes so they can provide depositions to the prosecution or defense.  The outcome won't have any legitimacy if the people feel their voices aren't being considered.

Of course, we should also leave someone in charge of oppositional research, ferreting out if anyone siding with the defense might have personally benefited from the Legate's rule.  Associates of that trading gnome, for example, or collaborators who gained favor by exposing suspected dissidents to the Prepotency.  They're all welcome to testify, but we'll want someone with a credible Streetwise score to investigate their backgrounds.

Otherwise, my character is ready to return to Cratertown, too.

-Autistic Angel
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 15, 2013, 03:11:13 AM »

Bilon is all packed.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2044 on: April 15, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »

I agree with AA's line of thinking, as well as starting our journey to Crater Town.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 17, 2013, 02:05:35 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 14, 2013, 03:39:15 PM

We should probably spread the word among the townsfolk that we intend to put the Legate on trial for his war crimes so they can provide depositions to the prosecution or defense.  The outcome won't have any legitimacy if the people feel their voices aren't being considered.
-Autistic Angel

Word spreads fast about the Legate's upcoming trial.  Though you hear rumors that some townsfolk are upset he's being tried away from the city and some of your own troops let you know they want you to just execute him, no one actually tries to interfere with your plans.  However, two citizens of Scaleport petition the party regarding the trial.  The first introduces herself as Ginsreli Erbi, the young woman who took informal control of the civilian fire brigade.  The polite, soft-spoken follower of Erathis does not attempt to persuade you of the Legate's guilt or innocence, but expresses concern that if no neutral party from the town is present at the trial, some in Scaleport will never accept whatever verdict is reached.  "I believe someone impartial should witness this, my lords," says Ginsreli, still wearing the charred blacksmith's apron she'd been using as impromptu fire-fighting gear.  "Otherwise, ever shall there be rumors that his verdict was predetermined by his captors or perhaps even that there was no trial at all. "

The Monk thinks Ginsreli is being truthful, but believes that she may be unprepared for a rapid journey to The Crater.  Though she seems muscular enough to have actually been a smith, The Monk thinks the young woman is fatigued from her recent efforts and might slow the party down.

The Monk Insight = 38   Perception =20

The second to petition the party is a middle aged, portly man wearing an expensive looking gray servant's uniform.  He tells you his name is Grenus Freson, a former clerk of the town's magistrate.  He tells you he bears you no ill will for slaying his former master, but wishes to assist the Legate in his defense.  "I know not what passes for law in your homelands, my lord," he says with a barely concealed sneer, "but in civilized realms, a man can traditionally expect legal representation!"  He then goes on at great length to tell you in excruciating detail about how he assisted the magistrate in many very important trials in both Scaleport and in other Prepotency lands.

Though The Monk does believe Grenus genuinely hates the party, he doubts the aging man will be of any real danger to the party.  He seems to be a bit of a buffoon, so perhaps he shall botch the Legate's defense?  He looks to be in horrible physical shape, though, and will very likely slow the journey back to The Crater considerably.

The Monk Insight = 20   Perception = 30

Though you haven't had time to establish a very robust network of contacts among the citizens of Scaleport, the party asks around a bit and both who wish to join you seem to be known in the community.  Winnish does uncover that Grenus had been hiding out at Kraken Hall during the invasion, though, where the party met with the shardmind representative.

Winnish Streetwise = 35

Do you bring one or both of these citizens back with you at this time?

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 14, 2013, 03:39:15 PM

Of course, we should also leave someone in charge of oppositional research, ferreting out if anyone siding with the defense might have personally benefited from the Legate's rule.  Associates of that trading gnome, for example, or collaborators who gained favor by exposing suspected dissidents to the Prepotency.  They're all welcome to testify, but we'll want someone with a credible Streetwise score to investigate their backgrounds.

Ryla agrees to oversee the city while you are away, though she makes it clear she'll only be a temporary caretaker.  "Yes, yes, very well.  I'll get the place cleaned up for you," she says with an exaggerated sigh  "While you're all off having fun with the Crows, doing your festive tribal dances and executing limbless tyrants, I'll be here. Supervising masons and carpenters and street cleaners. Marking sure fishermen fish and butchers... butch?  No, no, I'm not bitter at all."

"Just hurry back," smiles the mage. "My patience is boundless, but I'm easily distracted."

"Barger, as the magnificent-but-temporary steward of Scaleport, I hereby place you and your diminutive-but-dashing crew in charge of flushing out any who would stand in the way of our glorious new order!"  The halfling appears ready to protest, but Ryla doesn't give him the opportunity.  "Yes, I know you likely had plans to return to river piracy or establishing a thieves guild of your very own or perhaps even emptying the vaults of a merchant or two dozen.  Those will have to wait.  We've got a city to hold and I don't have the patience to be dealing with assassins, spies, saboteurs or even the mildly disgruntled.  Now off with you!  And no leg-breaking!  That's what I have Gruhef for!" 

A defeated Barger skulks out of the chamber, muttering curses as he leaves. 

Does the party leave Ryla any instructions before departing?

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:11 AM »

Bahamut believes in Justice, and as such I feel we need to take along both Ginsreli and Grenus.

Does Kriv believe that some magical healing will improve the ability of both to travel, or at least that of Ginsreli?  We will have to deal with slower travel for this trial to have any sense of legitimacy.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: April 18, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2013, 06:27:11 AM

Bahamut believes in Justice, and as such I feel we need to take along both Ginsreli and Grenus.

Does Kriv believe that some magical healing will improve the ability of both to travel, or at least that of Ginsreli?  We will have to deal with slower travel for this trial to have any sense of legitimacy.

Kriv does not think magical healing will allow either of the pair to travel more rapidly, but he does think The Monk may be underestimating just how tough Ginsreli is.  Though she definitely appears a bit fatigued, Kriv believes the young fire warden will get her strength back quickly now that she is no longer running into smoke-filled buildings and dodging incendiary weapons.

Kriv Healing 1d20 (18) + 18 = 36

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2048 on: April 18, 2013, 04:18:46 AM »

Jett has no issues bringing Ginsreli along, but he's leery about Grenus. The last thing that this needs is something going terribly wrong with 'defending' the Legate during his trial.

That said, if it would make the townspeople happier about the result...he's worth the possible frustration and general mayhem chance.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 19, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »

OK, Operation: Prisoner Transport is a go.  Will have a write up of the party's journey back to good ol' Crater town posted in a day or so.  In the meantime, prepare your opening arguments for a very special episode of Law and Order: Special Legates Unit!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2050 on: April 20, 2013, 01:20:21 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 19, 2013, 02:48:45 PM

OK, Operation: Prisoner Transport is a go.  Will have a write up of the party's journey back to good ol' Crater town posted in a day or so.  In the meantime, prepare your opening arguments for a very special episode of Law and Order: Special Legates Unit!

ROFL

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: April 20, 2013, 03:25:11 AM »

Did somebody remember to Mirandize him?

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 21, 2013, 12:26:51 AM »

When it becomes clear that he is about to be taken on a journey, The Legate once again argues that you would all be much better off if you simply ransomed him back to the Prepotency.  His protests are abruptly cut short as Ryla gags him with a silken rope.  "Hush, hush now," says the mage, speaking softly as if she were gently admonishing a small child. "You've got a great big journey ahead of you!  New people to meet!  Fun trials to attend!  And if you're very, very good, you may even get to see an execution!"   

Suun's eyes go wide for a moment, but he soon regains his composure and does not struggle as you lead him out of Scaleport.  Your allies wish you a safe journey and Sersha makes you all vow to return to Scaleport as soon as your able. 

Your journey back to the Cratertown region is not a comfortable trip.  Fierce snowstorms, dangerous terrain and the grating Grenus is rarely silent.  When awake, he complains.  About the food.  About the weather.  About your every decision.  About everything.  When he sleeps, he snores.  He snores with such unbelievable gusto, young Ginsreli jests that there is no need to keep watch, as even the fiercest beast of the wilderness will surely flee as fast as their legs will allow.  After a few days, even the Legate seems to wish his self-appointed advocate was left behind. 

Still, the journey isn't a complete misery.  Jett's phantasmal steeds make the leagues fly by, sometimes literally. The Legate attempts neither escape nor sabotage.  Ginsreli is also a surprisingly pleasant traveling companion, often speaking fondly of her childhood in the Prepotency city of Garyx-Fehn.  You get the impression that life was comfortable for her there, but that the blacksmith-turned-firewarden has not completely ignored the harsher, more unjust aspects of life under Imperial rule. 

After nearly a week of travel, you reach the mountain range where Cratertown lies.  The four in your party who are members of the Crow tribe get a telepathic greeting of return from Amehez.  "ADARA HAS LET US KNOW WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED AND WE HAVE PREPARED FOR THE TRIAL AS BEST WE ARE ABLE.  IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE WE SHOULD DO PRIOR TO YOUR ARRIVAL?"

You estimate you are still about an hour away from the town.  Do you instruct the Shardmind to do anything?  Is there anything else you would like to do before you arrive?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2053 on: April 22, 2013, 06:15:41 AM »

Nothing comes to mind in Jett's mind about what to do next. He just hopes it doesn't all fall to pieces as they return to their old home.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 22, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »

Kriv, not knowing anything specific about Crater Town, or the Crows really has no thoughts.

In a general sense, we just need to make sure there is somewhere to hold the prisoner while the trial is not being held.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: April 22, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »

Bilon, without any information about what has gone on in Cratertown since our departure, doesn't have any suggestions.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 24, 2013, 01:51:02 AM »

Ascending the mountain as the sun sets is a cold, arduous task, but you are welcomed warmly upon your return to The Crater.  Both the Crows and the Mist noncombatants congratulate you on your victory, are glad to meet Kriv and are eager to learn more about your adventures.  Many of the Crows are disappointed that you haven't returned with cartloads of loot and nearly everyone is disheartened to learn that Rangrim is no longer accompanying your victorious band.  Still, they are glad to get confirmation that the war is indeed over, at least for now.  With a snarl, Smiler the Gnoll, along with several burly goliath tribesmen, roughly seize the Legate and vow to guard him until the trial begins at dawn tomorrow. 

As the party chats with old allies, they learn of the following events that took place in their absence: 

1) The Crows harassed the local Prepotency garrison as best they were able.  When the legion abandoned the fort they built in Crow lands, they harried the legion troops as they headed East.  They killed many legionnaires and auxiliary troops, but the tribe eventually gave up pursuit once their enemies made it fifty miles away from The Crater. 

2) One evening Kavouri went mad(der) and assaulted her father Kavak in his tent with a knife, screaming about "death from the North" the entire time.  Kavak survived due to some last second intervention from Smiler, who proceeded to throw a screaming, convulsing Kavouri off the mountain. Her body was never found.

3) Kavak lost his one good eye in his daughter's assault, along with much of his will to live.  Amehez was eventually able to convince Kavak to replace his lost eyes with crystal replacements of his own design.  Though his eyesight has returned, in a fashion, little of Kavak's old personality is in evidence.  He meets the party coldly, says little, and quickly tells you he must rest. 

4) Misa the dragonborn tinker takes our heroes aside and informs you that although Kavak still leads the tribe in name, most important decisions have fallen to Amehez.  Kavak generally defers to the shardmind, and even though some among the Crows resent following the orders of the strange crystal construct, his decisions have generally been wise ones. 

5) Adara has been providing spiritual guidance and healing during your absence.  She refuses to meet with the party in advance of the trial as she prepares an impromptu court in a large tent built at the heart of The Crater.

6) Boulder never came back for his cows.

Do you have any other questions about events in Cratertown?  What crimes will you accuse the Legate of at tomorrow's trial?  What evidence do you offer?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2057 on: April 26, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »

Having not been one of the people who wanted to take the Legate to trial, Jett really doesn't have a good opinion on what to charge him for other than, "just general evil". Which doesn't count at all. biggrin

Random thoughts: Kavouri going totally nuts doesn't surprise Jett. Sadly it had to injure Kavak in the process. He also appreciates the information from Misa, as well as her opinions on Amehez. Although hearing that Kavak has basically allowed Amehez to lead worries him a bit, it at least comforts him to know that the construct's decisions have been good for the town for the most part.

Also, on Boulder: frown

I do hope someone else has a better idea what to charge the Legate for.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 26, 2013, 04:48:51 PM »

The Legate is to be tried as a war criminal.

For Kriv, the most pressing charge is that of "dragonocide". 

The legate and the Prepotency would have you believe that the Penance is some sort of justice, but in the end an untold number of dragonborn have been tortured via the insertion of a vile spike into their throats, Kriv shows the scars of where his spike once resided. From what we have been able to deduce, there is no outcome to the penance other than death or being enslaved to the dark dwarves, which the Prepotency has some sort of alliance with.

In addition, the Legate is directly responsible for executing the last remaining member of the Black Fangs (I think that was their name) tribe.  The method of execution was to force feed grain to the mighty warrior until his stomach burst and then he was stuffed into a chest and left at the gates of Scaleport.

Next, while it occurred before Kriv came to be with the party, there are the crimes that were committed against the Crows, simply for the tribes choice of not joining the Prepotency.  The Crows wished to simply live in peace as a nomadic tribe, and that reality was shattered by the Prepotency.

Lastly, from my understanding, the Prepotency has harshly enslaved via the threat of extreme violence, the Shardmind.

I am sure there are countless other crimes, but these are what are most pressing in Kriv's mind.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 27, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »

Between the Stone Crows, the Mist Tribe, and assorted other factions we've encountered, it seems clear the Prepotency's talk of peace and reconstruction was propaganda to cover their violently racist doctrine and demand for complete capitulation from everyone they encountered.  We've witnessed all manner of brutality from their troops, especially against dragonborn like Kriv, and we also know they put down any form of disagreement with military force.  Any good they might have accomplished in the meantime, such as allegedly chasing the undead out of Tiam Krey, is secondary to the fact that they were fueling their conquest through the subjugation of innocent civilians.

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 29, 2013, 12:57:33 AM »

The trial begins just before dawn in the heart of the Crater.  The gathered tribesmen, some drunk, most armed, and all eager for the day's events, ring the massive basin at the center of the mines.  A huge slab of roughly hewn green crystal sits near the entrance to the large mineshaft leading to the cavern where the Giantkillers once slew the monstrous spider Taraza the Corrputed.  Before it lies a long onyx table.  At one end sit our heroes.  At the other, the accused and his advocate.

As dawn's first light hits the slab, it reflects off the crystal in a thousand different ways.  The beams strike the crater walls, reflecting again and again off the tiny pieces of ore imbedded therein, until the light grows to a painful intensity.  It culminates in an emerald flash, briefly blinding all those present.  As you blink the sight back into your eyes, you see a cloaked figure walk slowly from the mineshaft behind the crystal slab.  It is Adara, wielding a raven headed staff.   The still-smoking sigil of her goddess, The Raven Queen, has been burnt into the slab. 

"All here know the accusers!" shouts the deva to the assembled crowd. "All here now know the accused! All present know of the war that has wracked these blighted lands!"  She swiftly strikes the slab with her staff. "Now, at the day's dawn, we shall hear the tale of this man's part in it! First, from the accusers!  At noon, he shall respond, and attempt to convince us if the tale they have spun be fact or fancy!  By the sun's fall, a decision will have be made!  For as the light fades, the Queen's power grows!  And when all is darkness, She shall help me to discern this man's proper destiny. I will lead him to it, no matter what it may be!"   

Our heroes list the crimes they have accused the Legate of, describing their various clashes with the Prepotency, and occasionally answering questions from the cleric-turned-judge.  Grenus insists that a more suitable arbitrator must be found when the party begins to discuss dangerous events Adara was actually present for, but the Deva gives him a soul-withering glare and insists that her people's immortal nature and her personal devotion to her goddess means she has no choice but to be impartial.  "My life in peril?" she says with a harsh laugh, "It would have taken more than a little cannon fire to finish me, mortal.   Only the Queen herself may end my story.  Be assured, I'll not risk her wrath by attempting to alter this man's fate, one way or another."   

It is now nearly noon.  The party has succesfully made the points raised above and neither Grenus nor the Legate have vigourously disputed their version of events.  Are there any other points the group would like to make prior to Grenus's response?

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 29, 2013, 04:48:24 AM »

Bilon will simply pray to Avandra for guidance.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: April 29, 2013, 11:10:10 AM »

It should likely also be pointed out that for years now, the Legate was conquering foes via a weapon that had a dracolich bound inside.  His hunger and thirst for power led him to enslave the dracolich instead of destroying it.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 30, 2013, 01:09:22 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 29, 2013, 11:10:10 AM

It should likely also be pointed out that for years now, the Legate was conquering foes via a weapon that had a dracolich bound inside.  His hunger and thirst for power led him to enslave the dracolich instead of destroying it.

Quote from: Arnir on April 29, 2013, 04:48:24 AM

Bilon will simply pray to Avandra for guidance.

Based thinks Kriv's idea of mentioning the dracolich is a good one, based on what he knows of the faith of the Raven Queen.  When the pair bring it up, Adara frowns and the Legate's eyes get wide, but he quickly regains his composure.

Bilon religion = 23 + 2 from Kriv = 25

At noon, Grenus begins his defense of the Legate.  He attempts no complicated legal arguments, but instead does his best to point out what he perceives to be flaws in the party's arguments:

1) The Legate can not be guilty of genocide, for he has not killed any dragonborn outside of the battlefield.  He has sent dragonborn to be imprisoned, and bound them in such a manner where they could not use their natural abilities to fight back.  "But who would not do this to their enemies?  It's been done here, today, to the very man who is on trial!  Or will you believe his arm simply fell off?"

2) That the Prepotency considers all dragonborn their enemies is not the responsibility of the Legate and neither is the conditions of their imprisonment.  "Did not the Dragon Lords of old imprison their foes, sometimes in terrible conditions?  Did the dragonborn, their servants, rise up against their masters because of how the great wyrms' foes were treated?  No.  Can we reasonably expect more of this man?  No!" 

Grenus then follows a similar line of argument and explains that the Legate can not be held responsible for the Emperor setting his sights upon this region.  "What sort of soldier defies his prince's wishes? Not a loyal one!" 

(This draws a particularly unsympathetic response from the assorted tribesfolk.  Old Hunt of the Mist hurls a rock at Grenus, just missing the advocate's head, but still causing him to stumble to the ground.  The crowd laughs and even the Legate chuckles as he pulls his barrister up out of the mud.)

3) The Legate does admit defiling the corpse of a dragonborn prisoner, but only after the Giantslayers unleashed a terrible beast upon Tiam-Krey, who killed both soldier and civilian alike.  "Not only did this terrible dragon of stone kill many score of legionnaires," says Grenus, "he crushed dozens of merchants, guilty of only seeking a new life. Hoping only to restore the once great city!"  Grenus sighs theatrically.  "What man would not be driven to a rage by this?  And who did he take it out on?  The corpse of one already slain in battle!"

4) Grenus wraps up his argument in about three hours, admitting that the one he represents is indeed an enemy, but simply an enemy soldier, and one who has offered to help negotiate a peace between the people of this region and the Empire.  "What you see before you is a man, not a monster!" shouts Grenus, as he turns and faces the audience. "And one who restored a great city in these lands, a city where you would all have been welcome, if you had chosen to join our people!  But this was not to be.  Perhaps fate herself made us enemies.  But be merciful, be reasonable in your victory!  And the future between our peoples shall be brighter indeed!"

It is about an hour until nightfall.  Does the party have any final statements they would like to make as the sun falls?  If not, stay tuned for Adara's verdict after the commercial break (aka in a few days!)

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2064 on: May 03, 2013, 12:53:42 AM »

Well, Jett has nothing to add that would help prove their point any better than what was said. He completely disagrees with Statement 4, as deep down he knows that everyone would not have been welcome there, but instead would've been welcome as slaves, but he has no way to actually prove it in the court of law.

Statement 3...yeah, we kinda made a mess with that one. He was always curious what happened to the dragon. Now he knows.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 03, 2013, 12:58:02 AM »

When Grenus claims that we would have been welcome, Kriv will stand up and look at him sternly...

"We would have been welcome you say...would I have been welcome...would Misa been welcome?  No I was not welcome, and in fact I was taken to your city with a spike driven through my throat, bound in chains to be sent to the penance...and what is the penance?  It is nothing more than slavery!

As for his arm, if I had not removed the arm, the legate would not be here alive today.  The Dracolich he tried to control was escaping, and tearing the legate to pieces in the process.  Removing his arm was an act of mercy."
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 03, 2013, 07:17:49 PM »

"Slaves are welcomed in many places.  The Prepotency is one of those places.  We all were welcome as long as we were compliant. Subservient.  Useful.  We are a proud people.  We are proud of our independence.  We are respectful of our equals.  We have enemies.  We have opponents.  But we have respect.  We have rules.  We struggle - we strive.  But we do not enslave tribes.  We do not exterminate things that are not evil.  But we do fight evil.  We do remove evil.  The Prepotency is evil.  Their leaders are evil.  Their actions are evil.  The fact that the Legate did not mean it personally does not make it less evil.  It makes it even more evil.  No hate.  No passion.  Just indifference.  Just evil."

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 05, 2013, 05:52:48 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 30, 2013, 01:09:22 AM

At noon, Grenus begins his defense of the Legate.  He attempts no complicated legal arguments, but instead does his best to point out what he perceives to be flaws in the party's arguments:

1) The Legate can not be guilty of genocide, for he has not killed any dragonborn outside of the battlefield.  He has sent dragonborn to be imprisoned, and bound them in such a manner where they could not use their natural abilities to fight back.  "But who would not do this to their enemies?  It's been done here, today, to the very man who is on trial!  Or will you believe his arm simply fell off?"

The distinction is that while the Legate was targeting dragonborn for persecution because of their species, he has been targeted for prosecution because of his actions.  We all had choices on how to act.  He decided to go hammering spikes into the throats of innocent civilians; we engaged in the minimum level of force required to stop him and restore sovereignty to the free peoples of this land.

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 06, 2013, 12:51:11 AM »

Adara listens to the party's final arguments.  The assembled tribesfolk quiet as the sun begins to disappear.  She renders her verdict.

"Suun Valoratus is an enemy of the people of these lands because of his actions as an enemy soldier," says the cleric calmly. "Though he sought to subjugate his enemies in a manner most foul, he did little more than the tribes of Tiam-Krey have often done to each other, albeit on a greater scale.  Can we truly demand more honor from the agents of this new Empire than we do from ourselves?  This has caused me to consider mercy."

The Legate's smile shines in the darkness as Adara continues.  "It must also be reckoned that due to his actions, the fallen city of Tiam-Krey was finally cleansed of the horrid ghouls.  Though we struggled against these horrors for decades, only this invader was able to chase them from their holes.  Had he been successful in restoring the once great city, much knowledge could have been restored to the World.  This has caused me to consider forgiveness."

Grenus pats the Legate on the back, but stops as Adara's voice takes on a harsher tone.  "However, Suun Valoratus has also committed crimes unpardonable. His Empire has declared war on the sons and daughters of Bahamut and sentenced them all to a kind of living death.  Such a punishment is never just.  A man of the Legate's stature in the Prepotency must be held at least partially accountable for the harm done by this foul penance."

"His subjugation of twice-damned Hezterach, may his name be forever cursed, is also inexcusable.  Would he have ended that unholy amalgamation of scale and sorcery when he had the chance? Such honor and glory all would owe him! Instead, he seized the foul lich's power for himself, endangering the World entire in the process.  Such selfishness, such dishonor, is thankfully rare, even in these dark times."

"Mercy and forgiveness I must abandon." 

Adara levels her staff at the Legate and begins to shout.

"Suun Valoratus, I declare you arch-heritic! A threat to those both living and dead!"

She turns to the party.

"Execute him, and quickly, that I may shepherd his soul into the arms of the Queen."     

What do you do?   

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 06, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »

"Legate Suun, you have been judged, by an impartial judge for your crimes, as was the will of Bahamut.  I have allowed the wheels of justice to churn, and your sentence is death."

Kriv draws his longsword.

"May Bahamut, Avandra, The Raven Queen and any gods you may serve have mercy on your soul. Do you have any last words?"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:57:02 PM by Arkon » Logged
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: May 07, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »

I don't have a problem with Kriv executing the sentence, but does it possibly look more like a vendetta than justice?  I'm good either way.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 08, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »

Death is not the sentence my character would have sought.  He's prepared to abide by the ruling, just as he would if the Legate had been found innocent, but he won't act as the executioner himself.

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2072 on: May 09, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »

Jett thinks quickly and while he moves to act per Adara's order, he will more than happily let Kriv get the justice that he feels that the Dragonborn deserves.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 10, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 06, 2013, 12:55:19 PM

"Legate Suun, you have been judged, by an impartial judge for your crimes, as was the will of Bahamut.  I have allowed the wheels of justice to churn, and your sentence is death."

Kriv draws his longsword.

"May Bahamut, Avandra, The Raven Queen and any gods you may serve have mercy on your soul. Do you have any last words?"

As Grenus backs away in shock, the Legate slowly stands.  He looks each of our heroes in the eye in turn, then gazes upward and addresses the crowd.  "No grand final speeches," he shouts, "no brilliant pleas for clemency!  I know when I am beaten! I've played a good game! But now, that game is done!  Enjoy your victory!  While it lasts, anyway!"

He approaches Kriv, places his remaining hand over his own heart, and asks with a sneer, "Would you mind terribly if I assisted?  Consider it a sort of last request."    
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:23:45 AM by kadnod » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 10, 2013, 03:44:26 AM »

Kriv will try to scan the face of the Legate, to try and sense if this is one last gasp of trickery.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:50:53 PM by Arkon » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2075 on: May 10, 2013, 11:35:43 PM »

Jett will look over the Legate as well, both trying to judge his reasons as well as scanning him via his magical sight. He's heard of strange rituals and such that require one to basically kill themselves to pull off.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 11, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 10, 2013, 03:44:26 AM

Kriv will try to scan the face of the Legate, to try and sense if this is one last gasp of trickery.

Quote from: Destructor on May 10, 2013, 11:35:43 PM

Jett will look over the Legate as well, both trying to judge his reasons as well as scanning him via his magical sight. He's heard of strange rituals and such that require one to basically kill themselves to pull off.

The Legate looks to have aged a decade since they first saw him on the battlefield, but neither Jett nor Kriv detect any treachery.  Jett does believe that Adara has grown in magical might since last they met, though. 

Suun lifts the point of the longsword to his heart, stares the paladin in the eyes, and nods. 

Does Kriv allow the Legate to impale himself?  Does anyone else take further action?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 11, 2013, 02:15:20 AM »

Kriv will brace the pommel of the sword, and allow the legate to impale himself.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 11, 2013, 03:15:45 AM »

We don't know of any arcane or religious mojo that he could fire by killing himself, do we?

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 13, 2013, 01:09:24 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 11, 2013, 03:15:45 AM

We don't know of any arcane or religious mojo that he could fire by killing himself, do we?

Not under these circumstances.

Quote from: Arkon on May 11, 2013, 02:15:20 AM

Kriv will brace the pommel of the sword, and allow the legate to impale himself.

The Legate grabs the paladin's shoulder, then impales himself on the blade.  He gasps as the sword pierces his heart, then shudders as he dies, his eyes still glaring at Kriv. 

As Suun's corpse slides off the weapon and onto the ground, Adara steps forward. "And thus is justice done," she mutters as she begins to trace a ritual circle with her staff around the body.   After a few moments, she notices that none of the gathered tribesfolk have departed and shouts up to them, "Well, what are you lot still doing here?  That is all!  No mighty flash of holy power!  No flock of ghostly ravens to devour the body!  Just another necromancer, rotting in the dirt!"   

Then softly, so only the party may hear, she whispers, "May this serve as a lesson to all who would treat the powers of the afterlife as playthings." 

Did she just glare at Jett?

At any rate, she's finished drawing the circle in a few moments, says a few words, then announces that the deed is done.  The Legate's soul has been sent directly to the goddess of death, where She will do with it as her wont.   The Crows and Mist have already resumed drinking.  Kavak order's the Legate's body burned, the ashes scattered, and several shardmind move to comply. 

Does anyone have any immediate plans?  If not, it will be epilogue time in a few days!  Watch your inboxes for some final questions about your characters' future which you can feel free to ignore if you so desire!

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: