http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 11:11:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 71220 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2000 on: March 15, 2013, 01:05:18 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on March 14, 2013, 03:59:32 PM

Does Jett send forces from the Fort to assist elsewhere?  And if so, where?

Jett's thinking to just concentrate our reserves on the Barghests. Let Ryla's apprentices deal with #1 and Suhvob deal with #3. Once the reserves deal with #4 for good, we can reassign them into figuring out what's up with #3. No doubt we'll need to patch up 1 and 2 ourselves.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: March 15, 2013, 02:25:44 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 15, 2013, 01:05:18 AM

Quote from: kadnod on March 14, 2013, 03:59:32 PM

Does Jett send forces from the Fort to assist elsewhere?  And if so, where?

Jett's thinking to just concentrate our reserves on the Barghests. Let Ryla's apprentices deal with #1 and Suhvob deal with #3. Once the reserves deal with #4 for good, we can reassign them into figuring out what's up with #3. No doubt we'll need to patch up 1 and 2 ourselves.

"Death!  Death to the wolflings!" shouts Gruhef as he storms out the front gate, hooves clacking loudly on the courtyard's cobblestones.  After a moment's hesitation, about half of the Fort's remaining guards reluctantly chase after the half-mad satyr as he disappears into the alleys of Scaleport.

Soon thereafter, our heroes depart to assist at the Northgate.  A loud, rhythmic pounding echoes through the snowy streets as they near their destination.  They climb the city wall near the gatehouse to get a better view, as Mist Archers frantically loose ineffective arrows at one of the iron golems the party fled from earlier.  The massive construct has torn apart the portcullis, but the gate itself still holds.  Kiln the elf dances nimbly between the statue's legs, scoring them over and over again with a glowing white longsword.  Undeterred, the golem continues to batter the gate.  Sersha lets out an ear-piercing battlecry as she fires the last bolt from the repeater ballista the party recovered earlier.  A hit!  The massive projectile embeds itself deep into the golem's right bicep, giving the automaton pause as it struggles to move an arm now pinned to its side. 

Cursing the now useless ballista, a frenzied Sersha, seemingly oblivious to your presence, picks up a pick-axe nearly as tall as herself and appears ready to hurl herself off the wall and onto the golem.

What do you do?

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:38 AM »

We need to get down there and keep it from breaking through the gate, any easy way down?
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: March 15, 2013, 12:06:38 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 15, 2013, 11:46:38 AM

We need to get down there and keep it from breaking through the gate, any easy way down?

Nearby notched rope seems the safest way.   Jumping + deep snowbank seems the quickest.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2004 on: March 19, 2013, 01:18:52 AM »

Jett watches as the party (apparently) leaps down to engage the thing in melee. He's going to stay right where he is, just slightly (a lot) out of melee range of the giant iron golem whatever it is thing.

Ah, the joys of being a ranged class. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 20, 2013, 12:30:50 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 19, 2013, 01:18:52 AM

Jett watches as the party (apparently) leaps down to engage the thing in melee. He's going to stay right where he is, just slightly (a lot) out of melee range of the giant iron golem whatever it is thing.

Ah, the joys of being a ranged class. Tongue

As their gnomish ally hurls herself off the wall and onto the golem's head, our heroes rappel down, jump off or remain atop the wall and engage the iron automaton.  Preparing for a tough battle, they are pleasantly surprised when the golem turns out to be relatively easy prey.  It makes no move to defend itself as it continues to pound the gate with its one free arm.  A few arcane blasts, mighty blows and divine strikes later, the battered golem falls to one knee, then topples on its side, nearly crushing Kiln.  Sersha nimbly rolls to safety, her pickaxe still imbedded in the creature's head.  A disconcerting hiss and quick puff of acrid smoke shoot from the puncture wound her weapon has caused.  The gate is damaged, but still holds.  As the Mist on the wall cheer, Jett scans the creature with his arcane senses and believes your assault has destroyed the enchantments powering the construct.

A weary and still somewhat singed Kiln slowly walks over to the group.  "Have I mentioned that I hate this city?  Struck down taking it.  Burnt to a crisp defending it.  Now almost crushed by a damned walking statue.  I was safer in the Feywild."  He kicks the golem, coughs violently, then continues. "Still, I surely thank you for the timely save." 

A panting Sersha, struggling to pull her weapon free shouts her agreement.  "Aye, thanks!  And I hate this place as well!"

The archers on the wall laugh at the gnome's jest, but not loud enough to keep Jett from hearing a crash in the distance behind him. He turns just in time to see a burning warehouse near the docks crumble violently to the ground. 

What do you do?

Jett Arcana check = 26

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 20, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »

Server up at 8 EST.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2007 on: March 27, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »

So, anyone have any ideas on how to beat a skeletal dragon? biggrin

Also, see you all tonight.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: March 27, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »

Server up @8 for Escape from the Empire: Gratuitous Boss Battle Edition!

"Cry for Aid" actions still available, though successful results may produce effects other than those listed!  Muahahaha and stuff!

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: March 28, 2013, 04:02:22 AM »

And our heroes, pulled into the Realm of the Dead itself, defeat the unholy monstrosity that was the Last of the Dragon Lords of Osradin, with a slight assist from some barbaric allies and the Goddess of Luck herself!

Aftermath of the the final battle and post campaign Q&A over the next few days!

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: March 29, 2013, 02:34:59 AM »

Recap of how the final fight played out for those who left early and for anyone else who might take the occasional look at this thread: 

Spoiler for Hiden:
The eldritch monstrosity lumbered through the darkened streets of Scaleport, a growing army of frenzied undead minions surrounding him.  Intercepted by our heroes, they made short work of the dracolich's slaves and engaged the beast itself.   Seeking higher ground, Hezterach launched himself into the air and landed on a nearby building, hoping to exhale his poisonous breath upon the party from a safe distance.  Little did he know the heroes were prepared for such a contingency! After some quick potion-quaffing, the beast was soon confronted by a flying paladin, monk and rogue!

Casting his soulless eyes upon the warriors, he overwhelmed their wills, causing them to battle each other while harrying them with fang and claw.  The cleric and mage provided support from a distance, but were unable to heal their allies' wounds due to the dark energies surrounding foul Hezterach.  Using his eldritch senses, Jett the Wizard found a way to draw some of this power away from the dragon and channeled it into the ever-dashing rogue Winnish Haversham.  Filled with necrotic energies ripped from the lich, Winnish struck with supernatural speed.   Encouraged by this turn of events, Jett tried to channel further power from the beast, but was tragically unsuccessful!  The dark power was too much for him to control and the entire battlefield was plunged into the Shadowfell, The Land of the Dead!

Things were looking grim for the warriors directly engaging the beast.  Though Kriv the Dragonborn Paladin had not suffered many injuries, the dracolich continued to warp his perception.  Kriv could not tell the difference between friend and foe and struck out at both!  The Nameless Monk struck out at Hezterach and was having some success, but the beast was still lashing out.  Their healing magics neutralized in the nightmare realm, it appeared as if Hezterach would simply outlast the warriors before him, then deal with Jett and Bilon the Cleric at his leisure. 

Jett and Bilon continued to pour arcane and divine power into the beast, while their reluctant minotaur sidekick Suhvob protected them from any undead minions who got to close.  The force of Jett's lightning half-destroyed the building Hezterach was standing on, causing the dracolich to crash to the ground.  As the creature struggled to free itself from the rubble, the warriors repositioned and Suhvob moved to engage the beast.  Our heroes shouted for help from any allies that might be within earshot and continued their assault.  Bilon, preparing for the worst, grabbed a mad artifact he'd been carrying for months.  If it appeared they would not win the day, he would unleash the chaotic power of The Deck of Many Things.

Praying to his goddess, the fair Avandra, the cleric noticed that she seemed closer in this place than she had in the Mortal World.  It would seem that the energies that tore this place into the Shadowfell had weakened the walls between all the planes.  Bilon attempted to open a portal of his own...

Meanwhile, the rest of the heroes took the battle directly to the dracolich.  Blow after blow rained down upon it, but still it stood, still it made friend battle friend, and it appeared to be readying it's poisonous breath once more.  Shouting curses, a former enemy and ally of the cursed Imperial Legate, a gith psion, arrived and struck out at the lich with waves of psychic power, but to no avail. 

Sensing victory was near, Hezterach was unprepared as the skies began to lighten, the chill fled from the air and the faint sound of a young woman laughing drifted through the air.  "IMPOSSIBLE!  IMPOSSSSIBLE!" it hissed as Avandra's warmth filled the battlefield.  Bilon had succeeded and the power of his goddess filled the heroes with much needed strength and healing. They redoubled their efforts and soon other defenders of Scaleport arrived to help destroy the creature.  Gruhef, half-mad satyr barbarian and occasional henchman of the party, came crashing onto the scene with a group of tribal archers in tow.  Slamming into the lich with a primal battlecry, he knocked Hezterach off his feet and the assembled heroes proceeded to unleash their full might upon the villain.  Still, the day was not won as the dragon's fangs sunk deep into Winnish.  Falling to the ground, the dragon's vile venom continued to ravage his body.  If this battle could not be won soon, the rogue would surely die.

Hezterach righted himself and attacked with renewed fury. Though shaken, it appeared as if he would soon muster the strength to use his dragon's breath once more.  Rearing back, the beast did not even see The Monk as he leapt into the air. Moving so fast he appeared to surround the beast, he struck its skeletal form with the flat of his spear in several places nigh-simultaneously, shattering bones into dust! The rest of the dracolich soon followed as the power sustaining its undead form fled back into the Shadowfell. 

Thus fell the Last Lord of Osradin, his mockery of life ended for all time.

10000 xp each!
250000 gp worth of residuum/dracolich dust

A thankfully natural night falls over Scaleport as both the power of Avandra and The Shadowfell retreats.  It's cold as Kriv uses his healing prowess to save the life of Winnish and the gith psion retreatst.  Gruhef runs off in search of other prey, a disturbing smile on his face as the satyr click-clacks through the streets.  Sensing no immediate danger, the party returns to Fort Scale to try to better gauge the state of the city.

By morning, it becomes apparent that the battle has been won.  No Prepotency foes are at the gates and your scouts say their camp has been abandoned.  The barghests that made it into the city are found slain, their ravaged remains piled up outside the abandoned temple of Tiamat.  None of your allies take credit for the grisly kill, but a young merchant's child swears she saw wolves being chased through streets by massive hell-hounds. "The wolves wa' really, really fast! But the other doggies were faster," recounts the astonished child, nose running freely in the chill morning air. ' YARK YARK YARK!' was how the scary doggies sounded."

Gruhef and your other allies seem to have been successful in scouring the streets of the few leftover undead minions of Hezterach. Though over thirty townsfolk were killed, it does not appear that everyone slain by one of the horrors rose again to fight by the dracolich's side.  Ryla theorizes that it was only the manticores that could spread the curse of undeath.  Unfortunately, she has some first-hand evidence that seems to support this theory. 

As the party nears the Southgate,it is readily apparent that the druid Lesh's defenses have fallen. The massive wall of living wood that sealed the gate is no more.  In it's place, a small, thin-trunked tree has sprouted from the ground.  As you get closer, you are surprised to see Lesh's face frozen in it's bark.  "She fought bravely, but was overrun and bitten by one of the damned manticores," explains a somber Ryla. "We arrived in time to destroy the creature, and those who had already succumbed to its foul power, but not in time to save her.'

"She told me she could feel what was coming.  Could feel her heart slowing and her mind going red."  The wizard leans wearily on her ivory staff.  "Then she told me not to worry, thanked me for being her friend, and cast her final spell."

What are the group's immediate plans?     

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: March 29, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »

Kriv would like to go check on the Legate...

"Hello Legate, I hope that your wound is healing nicely.  I wanted to let you know that Hezterach the dracolich, has been destroyed.  The last lord of Osradin exists no more and the battle for Scaleport is over.  Your troops have abandoned their camp.  I am sure there is still much to do to bring peace, but a large step has been taken today."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: March 31, 2013, 01:58:09 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 29, 2013, 12:31:25 PM

Kriv would like to go check on the Legate...

"Hello Legate, I hope that your wound is healing nicely.  I wanted to let you know that Hezterach the dracolich, has been destroyed.  The last lord of Osradin exists no more and the battle for Scaleport is over.  Your troops have abandoned their camp.  I am sure there is still much to do to bring peace, but a large step has been taken today."

The Legate stares blankly at Kriv for a long moment, then smiles.  "Ah, good show!  Dispatched the beast once and for all, eh?  Well, that's one more remnant of the old Osradin destroyed! And now, on to a better future!  For all of us!"  

"So what will it be?  Ransom me for untold riches?  Or have you given further thought to one of my more ambitious suggestions?"

Kriv is unsure of the Legate  -  Insight 19

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: March 31, 2013, 04:42:57 AM »

Bilon will check things out, insight, whatever if it helps.  I do suggest a long rest soon, though.  Just in case.

Also, how much XP is that total?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:52:20 AM by Arnir » Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2014 on: March 31, 2013, 05:08:11 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on March 31, 2013, 01:58:09 AM

"So what will it be?  Ransom me for untold riches?  Or have you given further thought to one of my more ambitious suggestions?

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I know what I want - peace and quiet after this. No more invasions, no more armies, no more fighting on a daily basis just to survive."

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: April 01, 2013, 11:16:25 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on March 31, 2013, 04:42:57 AM

Bilon will check things out, insight, whatever if it helps.  I do suggest a long rest soon, though.  Just in case.

Bilon is also unsure if the Legate is being honest or not. Insight = 29.

Also, how much XP is that total?

Uh, a billion?  I have totally lost track.  Sorry.

Quote from: Destructor on March 31, 2013, 05:08:11 AM

"So what will it be?  Ransom me for untold riches?  Or have you given further thought to one of my more ambitious suggestions?

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I know what I want - peace and quiet after this. No more invasions, no more armies, no more fighting on a daily basis just to survive."

"You are a wise djinni, sir!" responds the Legate.  "I would listen to him!  Though, I am at a lost on why he just doesn't wish himself peace or a harem or a castle made of gold..."

The Legate looks to each of you, then begins to laugh.  "Oh, I jest, I jest!  I know well that noble Jett is not that sort of elemental!"  He begins to tear up a bit at his joke.  "But yes, peace, a noble ambition!  But shall it be the Pax Imperial, the peace of good neighbors, or perhaps something more risky?"

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: April 03, 2013, 09:24:11 PM »

My character still prefers the order of a trial for the Legate's brutality over more impromptu solutions, and doesn't trust him to follow through on any other deals he offers.

Are we playing again tonight, or is this the night Arkon was going to be away on his trip?  I know Arnir is away next week....

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2017 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:20 PM »

No game session tonight or next week.   Since it is unlikely the party is going to run into a battlemat worthy combat again, we could probably handle the campaign wrap-up on the forums.  I may send a questions around via PM about characters' plans and goals once you decide what to do with the Legate.

Of course, if folks want to get the band back together for one last session, just let me know and we can schedule something later in the month.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2018 on: April 04, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 01, 2013, 11:16:25 PM

Quote from: Destructor on March 31, 2013, 05:08:11 AM

"So what will it be?  Ransom me for untold riches?  Or have you given further thought to one of my more ambitious suggestions?

"You are a wise djinni, sir!" responds the Legate.  "I would listen to him!  Though, I am at a lost on why he just doesn't wish himself peace or a harem or a castle made of gold..."

The Legate looks to each of you, then begins to laugh.  "Oh, I jest, I jest!  I know well that noble Jett is not that sort of elemental!"  He begins to tear up a bit at his joke.  "But yes, peace, a noble ambition!  But shall it be the Pax Imperial, the peace of good neighbors, or perhaps something more risky?"

Jett looks over the rest of his party, not sure what to decide. Each has their risks, as well as their benefits. But he's already said his piece.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: April 04, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »

"If it is up to me Legate, you will stand trial for your crimes.  I will not be making deals with the proverbial 'devil'.  If my comrades wish to engage in a pact with you, know full well that I will never stop hunting down those who persecute my kind, and I will bring the perpetrators to justice."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: April 05, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »

OK, so we have two votes for trial, one vote for let 'em go if it can bring about a greater peace.

Anyone else want a say?

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: April 05, 2013, 12:10:52 AM »

Who exactly is going to be holding the trial?  Jury, etc?

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: April 05, 2013, 08:54:52 PM »

I was thinking Adara could preside.  The people of Scaleport might balk at the notion of an outsider running the trial, but I think once we explain how little interest kadnod's wife has had in the events of the campaign, they'll agree she would be the epitome of an impartial jurist.

-Autistic Angel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »

Wow now there is a name from the past...even I had forgotten about Adara...

I don't know...I am thinking Kavouri would be a good judge...

ninja2
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: April 06, 2013, 12:47:09 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 05, 2013, 08:54:52 PM

I was thinking Adara could preside.  The people of Scaleport might balk at the notion of an outsider running the trial, but I think once we explain how little interest kadnod's wife has had in the events of the campaign, they'll agree she would be the epitome of an impartial jurist.

-Autistic Angel

Aww man, this made my day.  I can't get the smile off my face! 

FWIW, she says she'll play Adara as judge as long as she can tell me what to write and doesn't actually have to talk into the Internet.  If you guys actually want to play it that way, that works on this end!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: April 06, 2013, 01:34:30 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 06, 2013, 12:47:09 AM

-Autistic Angel

FWIW, she says she'll play Adara as judge as long as she can tell me what to write and doesn't actually have to talk into the Internet.  If you guys actually want to play it that way, that works on this end!

I vote an overwhelming yes!
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: April 06, 2013, 02:36:25 AM »

Tell her Bilon says, "hi, there."

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2027 on: April 06, 2013, 09:52:21 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 06, 2013, 12:47:09 AM

-Autistic Angel

Fine by me. Also very cool. biggrin

Although Jett would still rather risk this guy for a potential and greater advantage further down the line, verses a short term gain, it looks like this is how things are going to roll.

kadnod

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2028 on: April 08, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 06, 2013, 02:36:25 AM

Would Bilon like to say it himself via a Sending ritual?  Then he could also summon her to Scaleport.   Last Bilon heard, she was still at Crater Town with the rest of the Crows and the Mist noncombatants.

Arnir

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2029 on: April 08, 2013, 05:10:40 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 08, 2013, 12:07:09 AM

Would Bilon like to say it himself via a Sending ritual?  Then he could also summon her to Scaleport.   Last Bilon heard, she was still at Crater Town with the rest of the Crows and the Mist noncombatants.

Bilon is game.

kadnod

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2030 on: April 09, 2013, 02:42:21 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 08, 2013, 05:10:40 AM

Quote from: kadnod on April 08, 2013, 12:07:09 AM

Would Bilon like to say it himself via a Sending ritual?  Then he could also summon her to Scaleport.   Last Bilon heard, she was still at Crater Town with the rest of the Crows and the Mist noncombatants.

Bilon is game.

Adara agrees, saying she will judge the Legate based on the teachings of her goddess, the Raven Queen, the customs of the Crow tribe and the laws of old Osradin.  Given that Adara, a deva, can remember some of her own past lives, she likely has more firsthand knowledge of the culture and history of Osradin than most.  

However, her acceptance comes with a condition.  She will not leave the Crows and the Mist refugees at Crater Town.  She states they need her healing abilities and she does not have the time or inclination to train a replacement.  She asks that you bring the Legate to her.

What do you do?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 09, 2013, 11:33:57 AM »

Well we either need to somehow transport all of Cratertown to Scaleport, or we need to have Ryla become the new ruler of Scaleport (If she is agreeable to it) and our band of misfits needs to transport the Legate to Cratertown.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 09, 2013, 07:54:33 PM »

I was going to recommend that we have Smiler and one of the anti-Prepotency shardminds receiving asylum from the Stone Crows testify in the trial anyhow, so returning to Cratertown would be my character's vote.

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2033 on: April 09, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 09, 2013, 11:33:57 AM

Well we either need to somehow transport all of Cratertown to Scaleport, or we need to have Ryla become the new ruler of Scaleport (If she is agreeable to it) and our band of misfits needs to transport the Legate to Cratertown.

Misfits indeed. But Jett would be up for Ryla becoming the ruler of Scaleport (again, if she wants it), unless someone else has a better ruler in mind.

Jett can also easily create up to 8 Phantom Steeds, so it's not like we'll have issues heading back to Cratertown. At least we won't be walking. And if he gets a lucky dice roll, they'll fly in style. biggrin

Although if Jett knew Linked Portal or Planar Portal, he could create a Teleportation Circle inside of Scaleport somewhere and then the whole party could easily get back to Scaleport at nearly a moment's notice if something went horribly wrong. Or it could be used to port all of Cratertown to Scaleport once the crew gets there.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: April 11, 2013, 12:26:27 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 09, 2013, 08:40:28 PM

Quote from: Arkon on April 09, 2013, 11:33:57 AM

Misfits indeed. But Jett would be up for Ryla becoming the ruler of Scaleport (again, if she wants it), unless someone else has a better ruler in mind.

Jett can also easily create up to 8 Phantom Steeds, so it's not like we'll have issues heading back to Cratertown. At least we won't be walking. And if he gets a lucky dice roll, they'll fly in style. biggrin

Although if Jett knew Linked Portal or Planar Portal, he could create a Teleportation Circle inside of Scaleport somewhere and then the whole party could easily get back to Scaleport at nearly a moment's notice if something went horribly wrong. Or it could be used to port all of Cratertown to Scaleport once the crew gets there.

Jett does not believe Ryla or her apprentices could share these rituals with him.  Does he attempt to locate either of them elsewhere?

Also, Jett does recall there being something close to a teleportation circle in the dark temple Lairdala the Vampire was using as her home, which was not very far from Cratertown.  Jett could try to use it, but consequences could be dire if he stumbled across some sort of safeguard or curse left upon it by the vanquished vampire (aka if he botches the arcana roll to use it, something very bad could happen.)

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2035 on: April 11, 2013, 02:09:36 PM »

After Jett's last attempt at using his Arcana powers to mess around with things he didn't fully understand (the dragon's necromantic powers) nearly causing a TPK, he's not interested in doing anything that could cause A Very Bad Thing if the dice are against him. biggrin

That said, while the rest of the group chat with the Legate over what exactly they have in mind, Jett will go wandering. Perhaps there's a good magical library somewhere, or maybe the Temple of Ioun & Erathis might have what he needs - but either way, Jett would like to have access to being able to port back to Scaleport at a moment's notice.

Especially since getting the camp at Cratertown (assuming they want to come) back to Scaleport is going to take -forever-. Even more so during winter.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: April 11, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »

Kriv has a "decent" working relationship with the priestess of Ioun (Can't remember her name, but the one in the old temple of Bahamut).  He will go an speak with her, to let her know the outcome of the recent battles, and to ask for permission to pray in the temple.  Kriv would like to seek guidance from Bahamut, beyond what to do with the Legate, but the larger ongoing war, as Kriv wishes to see the end of the enslavement of the dragonborn.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 12, 2013, 01:50:15 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 11, 2013, 02:09:36 PM

After Jett's last attempt at using his Arcana powers to mess around with things he didn't fully understand (the dragon's necromantic powers) nearly causing a TPK, he's not interested in doing anything that could cause A Very Bad Thing if the dice are against him. biggrin

That said, while the rest of the group chat with the Legate over what exactly they have in mind, Jett will go wandering. Perhaps there's a good magical library somewhere, or maybe the Temple of Ioun & Erathis might have what he needs - but either way, Jett would like to have access to being able to port back to Scaleport at a moment's notice.

Especially since getting the camp at Cratertown (assuming they want to come) back to Scaleport is going to take -forever-. Even more so during winter.

Quote from: Arkon on April 11, 2013, 02:35:55 PM

Kriv has a "decent" working relationship with the priestess of Ioun (Can't remember her name, but the one in the old temple of Bahamut).  He will go an speak with her, to let her know the outcome of the recent battles, and to ask for permission to pray in the temple.  Kriv would like to seek guidance from Bahamut, beyond what to do with the Legate, but the larger ongoing war, as Kriv wishes to see the end of the enslavement of the dragonborn.

Jett and Kriv visit Lorna of Ioun at the temple.  Beleaguered townsfolk huddle throughout the main hall as Lorna's acolytes scurry about distributing food and blankets.  As the two adventurers enter, the elderly Lorna walks slowly towards them through the crowd, occasionally pushing someone who tarries in her path aside a bit too forcefully with her staff.  "Ah," she says with a disturbing cackle, "I was wondering when our victorious new overlords would get here!"  She steps between the wizard and paladin and leans heavily on them both.  "Well, let us get going! I certainly hope my cell won't be drafty!"

When it becomes obvious you do not mean to apprehend her, she eagerly discusses current events with the pair.  She's surprisingly well informed about what has transpired, though you're not sure how she could already know about the capture of the Legate or the battle with the dracolich.  She is able to share the Planar Portal ritual with Jett and does not wish gold in return.  Her price, however, is that she wishes Jett to lend him his own ritual book for a week.  "No rush, mage.  Whenever you've a few days with no dragon slaying or hydra baiting or whatever it is you people do for fun.  Adding whatever knowledge you've accumulated to our own archives will surely please Ioun!"

She also has no objection to Kriv praying in the temple, though it appears his presence is disconcerting to some of the refugees in the temple.  Still, they eventually stop murmuring and gawking at the dragonborn and return to their warm porridge and well worn blankets. Some even give Kriv a respectful nod as he begins his prayers.

The paladin communes with his god and comes away feeling he has behaved in a manner worthy of Mighty Bahamut.  Creating a place of sanctuary for his brothers and sisters would surely be most pleasing to the Platinum Dragon, though he receives no particular insight into how he should go about it.

Kriv diplomacy = 33 + 2 helper check from Jett = 35.
Kriv religion = 29

Does Jett agree to Lorna's terms?  And what does the group do next?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 12, 2013, 02:04:30 AM »

After praying, Kriv will assist the acolytes in passing out food and blankets, and offering healing to those in need.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2039 on: April 13, 2013, 02:55:27 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 12, 2013, 01:50:15 AM

Does Jett agree to Lorna's terms?  And what does the group do next?

Jett gladly agrees to Lorna's terms.

It's also times like these that I wish that 4th Edition had a bit more 'mass powers'. Or in other words, something like the ritual of Travelers' Feast (feed 5 people for 24 hours), but scaled up to say, like 50. Then Jett could help feed the locals instead of having to spend the next 10 hours casting the ritual just to take care of 50.

Anyhow...

So now we have a way to get back to Scaleport quickly. Once Jett has taken an extended rest somewhere down the line (as the ritual needs 5 healing surges to cast, and Jett doesn't have that if memory serves), and 4 hours to cast, he'll create a Teleportation Circle (2x2 area, unless there's a good reason why to risk making it larger) in a good spot somewhere in the Fort (more than likely at the Circle he shut down way back when). And then he'll start maintaining it.

And thanks to his new Planar Portal Ritual, he'll be ready to leave whenever on summoned mounts. Just as soon as the rest of the crew decide what to do.

Although he's curious how Lorna knows of these recent events. He ponders that as he helps with Kriv for the moment.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: