http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:46:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 68320 times)
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: October 19, 2012, 01:49:45 AM »

And our heroes stuff a corpse in a box, get a message from a squirrel, then jump off the city walls on their magic horses!

2000 xp each.

For those who missed the whole or part of the session, the Prepotency attacked the walls at dawn on the third day of the siege.  The party is headed to face a pack of siege-ogres and their duergar leader outside the Northgate!

I'm also sending around a note regarding a possible reschedule for next session.  Check your Inboxes!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 27, 2012, 04:59:14 AM »

After some hurricane and holiday related delays, looks like the game will be starting up again on Weds.   As our brave heroes move to repel a terrible siege, they may call upon their allies if things look grim:

Cry for aid! - Standard Action [edit - or a minor action when used after a Second Wind or Total Defense action.]
Roll a d20 and consult the table below.  Apply the following modifiers to the roll.  
  • +2 if the PC is bloodied.
  • +1 per party member unconscious/dying/dead.
  • -1 per previous call for aid by party this encounter.
  • -2 if it is snowing heavily.
  • -2 if party more than 2 squares, but less than 5 squares, away from allied forces on the overland map.
  • -5 if party is 5 or more squares away from allied forces on the overland map.

Cry for Aid! table.
  • Less than 1: Fog of War Your allies have lost sight of you.  No assistance is forthcoming and the party may not use Cry for Aid! again this encounter.  
  • 1-5: We've got our own problems!  Your allies are engaged. No assistance is forthcoming.
  • 6-11: Hold!  Hold! Unengaged allies move to support the party, but may be intercepted.  Re-roll on table at the start of the PC's next turn with an additional +2 modifier.
  • 12-15: Feather yon blaggard! A group of Mist Archers in tight formation fire at an enemy of the PC's choosing.  +22 vs AC.  Hit: 2d12+4 damage and all allies adjacent to the target may shift 1 square.  Miss: Half damage.
  • 16-19: Incoming! A spotter calls in an artillery strike from one of the small mortars atop Ft. Scale.  Burst 1.; +22 vs. Reflex. Hit: 2d10 + 7 fire damage and poison damage.  Miss- half damage.
  • 20 or higher: At dawn, look to the East... A powerful ally enters the fray!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:45:04 AM by kadnod » Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 27, 2012, 05:31:22 PM »

LOL - love it!

Concerning that there is a stacking modifier for downed PCs though...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1923 on: November 28, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »

We'll be perfectly okay. What could possibly go wrong?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 28, 2012, 11:35:49 PM »

Server up at 8 EST!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 29, 2012, 02:46:49 PM »

Very fun session last night...what an intense and daunting start we had to the battle.  Destructor, your use of Mass Charm massively opened up the battlefield, which then led to AA's back to back usage of massive movement/attack powers which really swung the tide of battle.  Thankfully while Kriv doesn't have great range on his heals, he was able to heal for high amounts which meant we lost no one, even Gruhef.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 29, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »

Sorry guys about last night.  I didn't forget, but I came home to an apartment flooded by a broken hot water heater.  Had to move all sorts of stuff for reclamation which included the modem and router, etc. etc.  So, no home phone (vonage) or internet or email.  They are now dealing with carpet and sheetrock etc.  So, I do admit that after the flood I couldn't contact y'all and then forgot all about it after getting into emergency mode.

Sorry.  (But they are fixing the stuff and it is getting better.  Good thing about apartment living - they pay and fix it all).

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 29, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »

Oh, man!  Sorry you had to go through all that, Arnir!  Hope all your stuff is fixed/replaced in short order!

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 30, 2012, 05:22:50 AM »

And our heroes inconvenience some incendiary imbeciles while the cleric provides divine intervention to some allies with incredible injuries!

(aka Winnish, Jett, Kriv, the Monk and Gruhef the NPC Satyr beat up ogres with fire mortars while Bilon helped some seriously injured allies on the city walls.) 

Loot and such from yesterday's battle below.  Also note I made a slight adjustment to the "Cry for Aid" rules above based on feedback!

Spoiler for Hiden:
3500 xp each

2 Falsefire Mortars
- 5 rounds of ammo between the two of them.  Are considered a "superior" weapons for proficiency purposes. Weight -  150 lbs each.  Designed to be carried by ogres, a medium creature may still wield one, but considers all terrain difficult terrain while wearing the device.  They can not be used on horseback, though they could possibly be fired from the back of a wagon, large chariot, or similar conveyance.

Attack- Attack: Area burst 3 within 50 squares.  Center of the burst must be a ground-level square, but flying creatures in the blast radius can still be hit.  Attacks reflex defense. 
Hit: 5d6 + 11 damage, and ongoing 10 fire and poison damage (save ends).
Miss:  Half damage.

1 Granite Longsword - This stone weapon is crudely carved, but the black crystals along it's edge pulse with a dark, discomforting light.

Lvl 19, rare, +4,   175,000 gp            
Enhancement Bonus: attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus, +1d10 damage per plus against fey creatures.
Property: When you hit a creature with this weapon, that creature cannot teleport (save ends.)

As the ogres and their dwarven master throw down their weapons and flee back towards their camp, the party sees a group of Praetorian assassins racing towards them!  Our battered heroes can retreat to the (relative) safety of the city walls and rejoin their faithful priest, but if these assassins must abandon their prey, who instead shall bear the brunt of their wrath?

(If folks could decide on if you're running or fighting by Friday, 12/7, it would be much appreciated!)

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: November 30, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »

I am sure this is going to sound insane...but if we are able to manage a short rest, and Bilon is able to charge into the fray, I think we need to stay and fight.  If we run, who knows who the assassins may target.  My thought is quick breather to regain encounter powers, then brace ourselves, and use the fire belchers to try and surprise/soften the assassins.  And we would likely need to make use of the call for aid, but we need to keep the assassins from the rest of our troops who would likely be slaughtered quickly.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 30, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »

Oh ewww bummer Arnir - I don't imagine water damage is fun at all; at least it's being covered!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 30, 2012, 06:40:42 PM »

*quickly shakes off his dazed state and earlier reticence, at the sight of the next wave of troopers approaching.  Foil dangling by his side, plumed coif tilted downward, he raises an arm and prepares to whistle, hopefully catching the assassins in an arrow volley before they can close ranks and attack...*

(no Arkon, I don't think you're insane at all - in fact it was what I was hoping to do myself slywink)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1932 on: December 02, 2012, 06:10:47 AM »

Jett looks over what the others have planned and shakes his head. Actions like these are going to get them all killed. However, they do have a slight advantage, at least for the moment...

He hunkers down, digging deep into his physical reserves (planning on burning a few surges like before to get a short rest), before he picks up one of the Mortars. "Time to figure out how this thing works now that we have them. Anyone else want to take the other?"

(here's to hoping that between Jett's high Strength (to carry the thing), and Intellect (to learn how to use it), that he can properly fire off a shot or two before the incoming mob gets to within more effective range)

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: December 02, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »

The party can make one roll on the "Cry for Aid" chart, fire a mortar once, see the cleric join them and take a short rest before the assassins reach them.  Anything more than that will require the forfeiture of the short rest and/or healing surges. 

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: December 03, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on December 02, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

The party can make one roll on the "Cry for Aid" chart, fire a mortar once, see the cleric join them and take a short rest before the assassins reach them.  Anything more than that will require the forfeiture of the short rest and/or healing surges. 

That sounds like a plan to me, unless anyone has a different thought I say we go with this, and prepare to fight the assassins.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: December 07, 2012, 12:13:40 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 03, 2012, 05:13:53 PM

Quote from: kadnod on December 02, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

That sounds like a plan to me, unless anyone has a different thought I say we go with this, and prepare to fight the assassins.

Ok, we will resolve the relevant dice-rolls next session!

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: December 12, 2012, 11:12:27 PM »

Server up at 8EST!

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: December 13, 2012, 12:21:59 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on December 12, 2012, 11:12:27 PM

Server up at 8EST!

I plan on being there.  Installing new software on the new travel laptop.  Please pray that I don't get ill, flooded, shot, or whatever as these sessions have been hard on me lately!

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: December 13, 2012, 01:00:32 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on December 13, 2012, 12:21:59 AM

Quote from: kadnod on December 12, 2012, 11:12:27 PM

Server up at 8EST!

I plan on being there.  Installing new software on the new travel laptop.  Please pray that I don't get ill, flooded, shot, or whatever as these sessions have been hard on me lately!

Need Vent info and Maptools version.  Feel free to pm confidential info.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: December 13, 2012, 11:59:17 AM »

Sorry, everyone: that did not go very well.  The download from the Oracle archive site arrived as corrupt on two separate downloads, and I tried four separate restoration points in System Restore that all failed.

Fortunately I found the MapTool thread Arkon was talking about and that had a link to Java 6.37 -- from the very same Oracle site, mind you -- which downloaded and installed properly.   MapTool was launching properly again as of about 10:00pm last night.

My advice is to definitely not upgrade to Java 7 until the next version of MapTool is working properly. icon_frown

-Autistic Angel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: December 13, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »

AA, sorry to hear about all the issues you had.

To fill you in, we decided to engage the assassins on the battlefield that had the bridge and the frozen river.  The assassins were coming in from the west, so we set up on the eastern side of the frozen river.  Led by the Praetorian that killed Thraco, flanked by Lupo who got away from us when Sa'Relka died, and accompanied by 4 additional assassins and 2 shadow warlocks.  We initiated the combat with Winnish firing off the mortar we had captured, and hitting the 4 nameless assassins, doing excellent damage, and setting them all on fire.  Using the frozen river and the bridge as a chokepoint, Kriv set up on the middle of the bridge, with your monk at my side.  On the Praetorian's first turn, she turned insubstantial/phasing and tried moving right through me to get to the back lines, which provoked an opportunity attack.  Kriv landed the attack, and utilized one of his item daily powers to apply a daze condition, which stopped her in her tracks.  Amazingly, that daze held for the entire combat, at least for as long as she was engaged in the combat (Which was a major penalty for her).  On your first turn, instead of advancing off of the bridge (I controlled your character), you tossed a shuriken at Lupo, who was flanked by two nameless assassins, both of which were hurt and on fire.  The attack was a critical hit, doing modest damage to Lupo, but also splashing damage to the assassins (I used the daily power on your Caustic Gloves).

Before it was all said and done, Winnish managed to get off one more devestating shot of the mortar, Bilon called down some righteous fire that killed off 3 of the assassins in one shot if I recall correctly, and Lupo died, on fire, in the freezing cold river after Jett melted the ice, and then was electrocuted when Jett dropped a storm cage into the water.

Sadly the two Warlocks and the Praetorian got away, at least we think the Praetorian got away, she was badly hurt when she was dropped into the river.  Either she somehow teleported out, or the current swept her downstream.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: December 14, 2012, 03:09:09 AM »

Thanks for the recap, Arkon.

Loot and such:
Spoiler for Hiden:
3000 xp each

Most of Lupo's gear seems well crafted (and well singed and well soaked!) but not inherently magical.  These are the exceptions:

Lupo's Ebon Pendant (counts as Abduction Ki Focus, Level 19, Uncommon, +4)

Stare into the eyes of this dragon-skull pendant and the laws of time and space seem like mere suggestions.

Implement: Ki focus, Enhancement Bonus: attack rolls and damage rolls, Critical: +4d6 damage

Property: Whenever you hit an enemy with a melee basic attack using this ki focus, you can slide the target 1 square as a free action.
Power (Teleportation) Daily (Free Action)

Trigger: You hit an enemy with a melee attack using this ki focus.

Effect: You teleport 5 squares, and you teleport the enemy 5 squares to a square adjacent to you.

Lupo's Ivory Chain (Counts as Necklace of Keys, Level 18, +4, uncommon)

If it's really ivory, then why does it squirm beneath your touch?

Neck Slot

Enhancement Bonus: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Property: You gain an item bonus to Thievery checks to open locks equal to the necklace’s enhancement bonus.

Power (Teleportation) Daily (Minor Action)
If you're grabbed or restrained, you can teleport 5 squares.

With the assassins either dead, missing or fleeing from a goat-faced berserker, the party must now choose what to do next.   The consensus seemed to be to take a short rest at your current location, then attack the House of Coin forces assaulting the Southgate.  If anyone objects, please respond ASAP!  (And be on the look-out for a PM with game scheduling info!)

Quote from: Arkon on December 13, 2012, 01:30:54 PM

AA, sorry to hear about all the issues you had.

Yeah, me too! 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1942 on: January 02, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »

Don't forget - we have a game tonight.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: January 02, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »

Yup, barring any computer or commuting related weirdness, server will be up at 8 EST.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: January 02, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »

I still can't get maptools to even boot on my Win  8 machine.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: January 03, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »

Won't install on my Dad's Win 7machine either.  You get the old style DOS window for a split second.  Then nothing.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1946 on: January 03, 2013, 12:54:42 AM »

Check what version of Java you have running. AA had this issue last week - it was very unhappy running under Java 7. Had to use the latest version of Java 6 just to get it to fire up.

That said, I'm running MapTools just fine under Java 7 Update 9 on my Win8 machine. Sorry I can't be of any real help.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html

That's where you can download the older Java versions.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:57:09 AM by Destructor » Logged

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: January 03, 2013, 12:59:54 AM »

Thanks.  I'll keep plugging away

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: January 04, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »

And our weary heroes defeat the House of Coin Tradeguard and make a strategic withdrawl behind Scaleport's mighty walls. 

3500 xp each.
50,000 gp worth of residuum.

Your allies let out a rousing cheer as they throw thick ropes down from the southern wall, allowing you to bypass the druid-barricaded Southgate.  They report that the city's other defenders have faired relatively well while you were engaged.  Your forces have suffered approximately 16 casualties, some fallen to Prepotency siege weapons, others to skirmishers attacking the walls or to the spikes of soaring manticores, but morale remains high.  Most of your troops are unharmed, the walls still hold and no serious damage has befallen the Fort.  Your acts of valor on the field seem to have inspired your allies as well.  "I don't care how big their damn cannons are! You have taught them fear," shouts a massive, white-furred minotaur you pass as you make your way back to Fort Scale. Gore-splattered, he roars, "They will not take this city.  Not now! Not ever! Giantslayers!  Giantslayers! Giantslayers!"  Dozens of your compatriots take up the chant as you head towards your rest.

The city itself seems to be holding together as well.  Acrid smoke clings to the streets, but you pass few buildings that have suffered substantial damage since you took to the field.  Once back in the Fort, though, a weary member of your fire-brigade tells you that a row of houses near the city center did take a direct hit from the Prepotency Great-Cannon. "I believe most of the homes were abandoned, my Lords," reports an exhausted, soot-stained young woman, "but there were ... screams as some of the buildings burned and fell.  I am sorry."

Is there anything else the group would like to do before resting?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: January 04, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »

So I know we have a ton of Residuum, but no clue the exact amount...was thinking perhaps we could make a few items?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »

If possible, this item would be good for Kriv, and even AA and Winnish to get.

Helm of Able Defense
Level 14 Uncommon

Lifelike crystal eyes in the back of this helmet focus your will and bolster your defenses.

Head Slot        21,000 gp
Properties

You gain a +1 item bonus to Will.
    At the start of each encounter, you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until you take damage for the first time after the end of your first turn (not including a surprise round).
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: January 16, 2013, 11:03:28 PM »

Server up @8EST

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: January 18, 2013, 03:00:25 AM »

And our heroes engage in an unorthodox artillery duel, are pursued by aggressive automatons and are waylaid by Imperial entanglements.

3000 xp each.

As you charge the legate and his men, the pursuing golems begin to slow.  Will they stop before you and your foes collide into battle or will they join the fray?  Only one way to find out...

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: January 18, 2013, 03:03:39 AM »

Going to need to double/triple check, but I believe that 3,000 puts as at level 18.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1954 on: January 18, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on January 18, 2013, 03:00:25 AM

And our heroes engage in an unorthodox artillery duel, are pursued by aggressive automatons and are waylaid by Imperial entanglements.

3000 xp each.

As you charge the legate and his men, the pursuing golems begin to slow.  Will they stop before you and your foes collide into battle or will they join the fray?  Only one way to find out...

You forgot to mention the thoughts of making a devious draw from the deck of doom, too. biggrin

I can't believe it's coming down to this (or it looks like it anyway).

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: January 21, 2013, 05:13:39 AM »

Bilon thinks about asking Winnish to cut the cards, but figures Winnish might be too literal minded for that.  Bilon is a shufflin'. 

Did we gain a level?

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: January 22, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on January 21, 2013, 05:13:39 AM

Did we gain a level?

Since I am too lazy to double check the math & the end (one way or the other!) is near, let's just say level 18 for everybody!

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: January 22, 2013, 11:54:13 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on January 22, 2013, 09:53:49 PM

Did we gain a level?

Since I am too lazy to double check the math & the end (one way or the other!) is near, let's just say level 18 for everybody!

And Cake!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1958 on: January 23, 2013, 05:00:36 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on January 22, 2013, 11:54:13 PM

Quote from: kadnod on January 22, 2013, 09:53:49 PM

Did we gain a level?
And Cake!

Whoo! And give us cake too! biggrin

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: January 23, 2013, 05:24:39 AM »

My level 18 is posted on iplay4e.com

Mighty Crusader Expertise
Spoiler for Hiden:
Mighty Crusader Expertise

Prerequisite: Proficiency with holy symbols
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with any two-handed melee weapon and a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls you make with holy symbols. These bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
    In addition, while you wield a two-handed melee weapon, ranged and area attacks you make with a holy symbol do not provoke opportunity attacks.

Published in Dragon Magazine 402.

I think I went with strength and charisma.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: