http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 12:56:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 68413 times)
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: September 13, 2012, 02:09:56 AM »

I saw this article on Facebook about die rolling is not completely random and thought it fit into some of our discussion.  Sorry for the sidetrack.
http://insidescience.org/?q=blog%2F2012%2F09%2F12%2Fdice-rolls-are-not-completely-random

Sorry, don't remember how to make short links.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: September 16, 2012, 12:26:20 AM »

So, has the party agreed upon a pre-siege plan?  Smash Kraken Hall?  Flood  the city?  Become dashing canoe-pirates?

This week's game will likely be the last week before the siege begins!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: September 16, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »

Although my character has a strong opinion, I personally do not.  I'm good with whatever the majority decides! smile

-Autistic Angel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: September 16, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

Well, what more can we determine about the "vision" Bilon had?  Should we go destroy the shardmind at Kraken Hall?
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: September 17, 2012, 01:11:26 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 16, 2012, 11:32:40 AM

Well, what more can we determine about the "vision" Bilon had? 

You are welcome to try whatever you would like to investigate or interpret whatever Bilon did (or didn't) see.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1885 on: September 17, 2012, 02:30:14 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 16, 2012, 11:32:40 AM

Well, what more can we determine about the "vision" Bilon had?  Should we go destroy the shardmind at Kraken Hall?

Honestly, Jett believes that despite what Bilon says he saw, the best next step is to do what the Shardmind wants - reveal the location of Amahez so we have a chance of actually surviving the siege. Something about the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:32:28 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: September 17, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »

And what if the Shardmind is trapping us in some way?  We know he was not being fully forthcoming in what he was telling us...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1887 on: September 17, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 17, 2012, 04:19:30 PM

And what if the Shardmind is trapping us in some way?  We know he was not being fully forthcoming in what he was telling us...

While the possibility is there, what if he was telling the truth? We absolutely do not stand a chance at all without their help. Period.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: September 17, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 17, 2012, 07:02:37 PM

While the possibility is there, what if he was telling the truth? We absolutely do not stand a chance at all without their help. Period.

But if Rangrim lives, and he is somehow trapped in Kraken Hall...that is our secret weapon...clearly he is the tipping point in the war!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1889 on: September 17, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 17, 2012, 07:24:25 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 17, 2012, 07:02:37 PM

But if Rangrim lives, and he is somehow trapped in Kraken Hall...that is our secret weapon...clearly he is the tipping point in the war!

...no. He ran off on us like he did. We need something that can possibly help now, and not some teammate who took off for his own reasons.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: September 17, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »

Bah, I forgot the smiley as my last post was intended as comedy...

My biggest concern is that we are missing some sort of huge "gotcha" in our dealings with the Shardmind.  Would killing the Shardmind in Kraken Hall cripple the Prepotency as much as if we work with him?
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:35 PM »

Bilon is certain that the image of Rangrim was a warning, but beyond that he cannot say.  Nor can he prove what he feels.  Which Shardminds are holding Rangrim?  He doesn't know.  Bilon feels, though, deep in his bones, that Rangrim does have a role to play in this whole mess.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 19, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »

Server up @ 8 EST.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 20, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »

So, yeah, last session . . . everybody gets 4800 xp each.  Uh, somebody else write up the recap of what happened after AA and Arnir logged off.   icon_eek

This is the last time to make any siege preparations.  If no one has anything specific they want to do, we can just say your troops spend the time fortifying the city walls as best they can.  Otherwise, please post what you want to get done by Friday, 9/28 at the latest.  That will give me the weekend to write up the next session based on your feedback.  Thanks!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 21, 2012, 12:42:28 AM »

And with that we have made level 17.

For AA and Arnir:

After much more discussions and recalling what we know of the Living Gate, we decided in the name of the greater good that we needed to go along with the Shardmind..so Jett gave the location of Cratertown.  The vision Bilon had was actually a stray thought of the Shardmind, as they do in fact have Rangrim imprisoned in crystal.  Rangrim was captured at Tiam-Krey.  Once they found out Rangrim was an ally, which Kriv let slip, they gave us the choice that if we didn't want to go along, they would simply rip the information from Rangrim's mind.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 23, 2012, 09:42:11 PM »

Should we perhaps look at making some alchemical items, or potions, or equipment...or perhaps building more traps?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1896 on: September 24, 2012, 06:41:12 AM »

Honestly, we need some way to cause damage to large groups and at long distances. We need to stop as many troops as possible before they get into archery range. Or closer.

And woe be us all if they happen to have any sort of siege weapons.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 24, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »

Do we have the technology to create grenades?  Some sort of explosive potion that we can put into glass jars?  Glass is brutally fatal when it explodes.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 25, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on September 24, 2012, 06:32:22 PM

Do we have the technology to create grenades?  Some sort of explosive potion that we can put into glass jars?  Glass is brutally fatal when it explodes.

Quote from: Arkon on September 23, 2012, 09:42:11 PM

Should we perhaps look at making some alchemical items, or potions, or equipment...or perhaps building more traps?

When you assaulted Ft. Scale, you found an unexploded bomb with strange, clockwork gears near an unconscious Kiln the Elf. If you turned it over to Ryla's apprentices and set them on the task of reproducing them, you believe they could make 20 of them a day for 3200 gp worth of alchemical reagents or residuum a day.  Barger's halflings could rig up sling-like throwers, allowing the bombs to be hurled 100 feet, if you set them to the task for a day. 

The bombs would have the following stats:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Clockwork Bomb Level 9 Common

Alchemical Item: Volatile Formula Cost: 160 gp
Key Skill: Arcana or Thievery Time: 15 minutes
Power (Fire) Consumable (Minor Action)

Place the clockwork bomb in your space or in a square adjacent to you, and decide how many rounds pass before the bomb goes off (6 rounds maximum). Each round, at the start of your turn, move the clockwork bomb one square in a direction of your choosing and roll a d6. On a roll of 6, the bomb detonates prematurely. If the clockwork bomb is hit by an attack (the bomb has the same defenses as its user), it also explodes. When the bomb detonates, make an attack: Area burst 1 centered on the bomb's space; targets each creature in burst; +7 vs. Reflex; 1d10 fire damage.

Level 9: +12 vs. Reflex; 2d10 fire damage.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1899 on: September 25, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »

I think that sounds like a fantastic idea.

Other thoughts (although I have to admit that Arkon brought it up to me): Start mass producing potions of Dragon Breath or other things (although ones with a better hit value) for the troops. Anything that can help balance things better in our favor.

It's not like we don't have the Residuum to burn at this point.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: September 25, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »

Agreed, let's spend at least two days making the bombs and the sling-throwers.  Also yes, I think we should make some elixers:

Elixir of Dragon BreathLevel 7+ Uncommon
Whether frigid, acidic, or crackling with energy, this liquid grants you a potent blast of dragon breath.
Lvl 7      100 gp      Lvl 27      65,000 gp
Lvl 17      2,600 gp            
Consumable: Potion
Power (Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison)  Consumable (Minor Action)
Use this power after your drink the elixir. Until the end of the encounter, you gain an at-will attack power that requires a standard action to use: Close blast 3; +10 vs. Reflex; on a hit, deal 2d6 + Constitution modifier damage of a type determined when the elixir is created: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison.
Level 17: +20 vs. Reflex; 3d6 + Constitution modifier damage.
Level 27: +30 vs. Reflex; 4d6 + Constitution modifier damage.

Lesser Elixir of Dragon BreathLevel 6+ Common
You drink this syrupy elixir, and a surge of energy courses through your body, waiting to be released in an explosion of breath.
Lvl 6      75 gp      Lvl 26      45,000 gp
Lvl 16      1,800 gp            
Consumable: Elixir
Special: When this elixir is created, the crafter chooses acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. The elixir gains that keyword, and all damage dealt by it is of that damage type.
Attack Power (Varies)  Consumable (Minor Action)
Effect: You drink the elixir. Once before the end of the encounter, you can use a minor action to make the following attack.
Attack: Close blast 3 (creatures in the blast); the elixir’s level + 5 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + 3 damage of the chosen type.
Level 16: 3d8 + 7 damage.
Level 26: 4d6 + 12 damage.

If nothing else, Kriv,AA and Winnish should each get one regular elixer and one lesser elixer.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: October 03, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »

Kriv has been updated on iPlay4e with his new encounter power for level 17.

AA and Winish if you can send me your changes I will do my best to get your characters updated asap.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: October 03, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »

Server up @ 8 EST.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: October 04, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »

Ah yes another swap level!

As my regular retrain - Circling Predator is OUT for the new Hectoring Strike because...

I will FINALLY get rid of Setup Strike and its CA granting ability for the level 17 (WOW!) Dragon Tail Strike

So OUT:  Circling Predator, Setup Strike
IN: Hectoring Strike, Dragon Tail Strike
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: October 05, 2012, 02:04:46 AM »

And our heroes take one last trip around scenic Scaleport before the hellfire begins to fall!

2000 xp each.

Just after dawn, a shriek pierces the skies around Fort Scale followed by a horrific crash and a terrific wave of heat.  A shell from the Prepotency's massive cannon has hit the city about a block south of your fortress.  A small cluster of shops burn with an acrid black and purple smoke, but the stone buildings don't appear to be in any immediate danger of collapse. 

"Oh, my," whispers a stunned Ryla, looking down on the destruction from the walls of Fort Scale. "I knew, I knew this was coming, but how can the wreak such destruction from so far away?" 

The mage quickly regains her composure and addresses the group.  "Well, then.  What exactly can we do about..."

She is cut off as another shell smashes into the town, this time to the north of the fort.  The shells continue to fall, one about every five minutes.  The occasionally hit the walls of Fort Scale, but fail to inflict much damage.  Some of the surrounding buildings smolder with pungent smoke, but the Wyrms of old apparently made Scaleport hard to burn.  While buildings directly hit by a shell are in flames, the fires don't appear to be spreading. You think the city could take several days, or perhaps even a few weeks of this, but then again, a few lucky strikes by the cannon could cause some serious damage to your troops.

What do you do?

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: October 09, 2012, 12:10:18 AM »

*quickly ushers the nearest contingent of archers beneath overhangs in the ramparts before giving a confused shrug to the rest of the party*  "Do we sacrifice position to send out fire fighting forays?  Or hope for the best?  In the least watch a moment or two; I don't want to send soldiers to the location of the next volley!"
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: October 09, 2012, 02:00:21 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 09, 2012, 12:10:18 AM

*quickly ushers the nearest contingent of archers beneath overhangs in the ramparts before giving a confused shrug to the rest of the party*  "Do we sacrifice position to send out fire fighting forays?  Or hope for the best?  In the least watch a moment or two; I don't want to send soldiers to the location of the next volley!"

You can send out bucket-brigades to try to put out fires.  There is a small chance any troops sent will be hurt or even killed on such a mission, though.  Plus, those you send will be unable to defend the city in event of an assault.  However, if successful, they should allow the city to withstand the cannon fire for a longer period of time.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1907 on: October 09, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »

Jett believes that 1) We need to try to keep the fires under control (while the city may not burn too badly thanks to most things being stone, it'll still badly affect morale), and 2) We need to take that cannon down ASAP.

Somehow.

Just any ideas how?

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: October 09, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 09, 2012, 02:43:50 PM

Jett believes that 1) We need to try to keep the fires under control (while the city may not burn too badly thanks to most things being stone, it'll still badly affect morale), and 2) We need to take that cannon down ASAP.

Somehow.

Just any ideas how?

Can we gather civilian volunteers to help fight fires?  Most residents would rather do something to help their city than just let it burn.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: October 10, 2012, 12:48:29 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on October 09, 2012, 09:53:36 PM

Can we gather civilian volunteers to help fight fires?  Most residents would rather do something to help their city than just let it burn.

The only place you are sure a large number of civilians are hiding is in the temple of Ioun & Erathis, run by the priestess Lorna.  She has told you she will not assist you in the upcoming conflict, but you could try to change her mind.

You could also assign some troops to round up an impromptu fire brigade by searching for smaller groups of townsfolk hidden elsewhere in the city.  You would have to instruct your forces on how exactly they should go about persuading any they find to "volunteer" for this dangerous duty, though. 

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: October 10, 2012, 01:44:35 AM »

Is it possible that Jett or Ryla have a ritual that could control the weather a bit?  Such as the "Control Weather, level 17 ritual", to perhaps let mother nature assist us a bit?  Either in putting out the fires, or making visibility from the camp in to the city impossible.

Since we saw no ammo, I can only assume we are being shelled by some sort of magical projectiles, which means they could likely shell us for a very long time.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: October 10, 2012, 11:06:32 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on October 10, 2012, 12:48:29 AM

Quote from: Arnir on October 09, 2012, 09:53:36 PM

The only place you are sure a large number of civilians are hiding is in the temple of Ioun & Erathis, run by the priestess Lorna.  She has told you she will not assist you in the upcoming conflict, but you could try to change her mind.

I think this is a good idea.  There's a big difference between interceding in the conflict and acting to preserve homes and possessions from indiscriminate fires.  Whatever Lorna's position might be, I bet the civilians will want to help each other.

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: October 11, 2012, 12:12:32 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 10, 2012, 01:44:35 AM

Is it possible that Jett or Ryla have a ritual that could control the weather a bit?  Such as the "Control Weather, level 17 ritual", to perhaps let mother nature assist us a bit?  Either in putting out the fires, or making visibility from the camp in to the city impossible.

Ryla doesn't know it (unless I already said she did and I forgot.  then she totally has it!)  If Jett has it (which I don't think he does, but I may have forgot!), he could try to stop the sporadic snow, increase it's intensity, or increase the strength of the local winds.  How any of these options would impact the siege is unknown.

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 10, 2012, 11:06:32 AM

I think this is a good idea.  There's a big difference between interceding in the conflict and acting to preserve homes and possessions from indiscriminate fires.  Whatever Lorna's position might be, I bet the civilians will want to help each other.

-Autistic Angel

Bilon and Kriv are able to compose a compelling argument, using elements of what they know of the scriptures of Ioun and Erathis, on why it is the duty of all righteous followers of the gods of knowledge and civilization to help preserve the city from destruction.  Lorna seems unconvinced and reiterates her neutrality. ("Stick to preaching the ways of your own little love-cult, dwarf!") Most of those hiding within the temple feel the same.   Nearly 30 devout followers of Erathis are persuaded, however, and agree to help put out any fires, even through Lorna tells them that they will not be allowed to return to the temple should they leave. 

Bilon - Diplomacy 25
Kriv - Religion 30

Fires should now cause less damage to the city for as long as the fire-brigade is able to function. 

It's now late-afternoon and the winter sun is getting ready to set.  Is there anything else the party would like to do before nightfall?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1913 on: October 11, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on October 11, 2012, 12:12:32 AM

Quote from: Arkon on October 10, 2012, 01:44:35 AM

Ryla doesn't know it (unless I already said she did and I forgot.  then she totally has it!)  If Jett has it (which I don't think he does, but I may have forgot!), he could try to stop the sporadic snow, increase it's intensity, or increase the strength of the local winds.  How any of these options would impact the siege is unknown.

No for Jett, and I don't think you said anything about Ryla in the past. As much as I'd like to say otherwise. biggrin

Quote from: kadnod on October 11, 2012, 12:12:32 AM

It's now late-afternoon and the winter sun is getting ready to set.  Is there anything else the party would like to do before nightfall?

Pray for the Gods to keep watching over our heroes during the siege?  icon_lol

Did we ever decide about getting a message to Kavak and crew about what was happening here, and/or what might be visiting them shortly about their Shardmind?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 13, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »

((apologies for the intrusion, folks, but has anyone considered doing a pbem or pbforum game? I'd love to participate))

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: October 14, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 13, 2012, 07:47:58 PM

((apologies for the intrusion, folks, but has anyone considered doing a pbem or pbforum game? I'd love to participate))

No problem. We're most likely a few sessions away from wrapping this campaign, but if we do something like this again in the future, we'll be sure to give you a head's up!

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 16, 2012, 02:11:24 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2012, 09:15:17 PM

Pray for the Gods to keep watching over our heroes during the siege?  icon_lol

Did we ever decide about getting a message to Kavak and crew about what was happening here, and/or what might be visiting them shortly about their Shardmind?

While the party discusses getting a message to the Crows, the sun sets and the Prepotency siege engine falls silent.  A few buildings smoulder, but no fires are spreading. Your fire-fighters are doing their jobs well, but they seem to be weakening more quickly than anticipated and are in obvious need of rest.   "We'll be back at it tomorrow. First light,"  coughs Kirmon, a barrel-chested old dockworker who has become the unofficial leader of your recently recruited followers of Erathis. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1917 on: October 16, 2012, 02:25:03 AM »

Jett looks surprised and a bit concerned as the siege cannon falls silent. "They have us obviously targeted and in range. Why would they stop firing for something as simple as lack of daylight?"

He ponders for a moment before continuing. "This means one of two things. Either this is our chance to make our move to shut that thing down...somehow, or else they're invading the town and don't want to set fire to their own troops."

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 17, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »

Server up @8EST.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: October 17, 2012, 11:50:43 PM »

I just got called to a meeting.  No clue when I will be out of it. Sorry.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: