http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 11:16:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 71120 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: July 12, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on July 12, 2012, 04:48:09 PM

Oh yeah, it was intriguing.  BTW, OOC I have no problem with what happened to the guy.  IC, Bilon is confused abut how rapidly Kriv swings from side to side.  And realizes how similar he is. Bilon is having to think about his moral compass a bit.  Great job.

Yeah it was a bit of a combination of heat of the moment, tough battle, constant denigration and knowing we needed to keep moving forward.  Paragon's of Justice aren't perfect.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 13, 2012, 12:39:22 AM »

And our heroes continue their siege on their would-be creditors and precisely perforate a prisoner in the process!

Loot & XP:

3500 xp each
some dead goliath guards
a rather nifty looking repeating ballista
the rapidly cooling remnants of a fiery elemental

The courtyard surrounding the House of Coin has quieted.   You can see smoke in a closed window on the top floor of the House, but none is actually billowing outside.  What do you do?

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 13, 2012, 12:46:59 AM »

Don't forget I grabbed the Goliath's hammer...no clue if it is anything special, but he was hitting pretty dang hard with it.

Do we see actual flames?  I have the elixir of flying and could fly up to look in.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1803 on: July 13, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »

Well, Jett needs a few minutes to convert the elemental into something far more worthwhile. Beyond that, he's curious as to what's causing the smoke. But he wants the Residuum first.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: July 14, 2012, 03:26:36 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 13, 2012, 12:46:59 AM

Don't forget I grabbed the Goliath's hammer...no clue if it is anything special, but he was hitting pretty dang hard with it.

Whoops.  Didn't hear you mention that.  Yep, it is enchanted.  Ryla assists you in identifying it while Jett harvests the remains of the elemental.

"Oh, I think we've got a winner here," says the mage with a grin, eyes literally aglow as she examines the hammer.  "Yes, this will do nicely."

Spoiler for Hiden:

Earthstrike's Mallet (Counts as Mighty Dwarven Thrower - Level 20 - rare)
Legend says that King Toad Earthstrike killed many a Forgotten Beast with this mighty hammer.  Encircled with bands of jade and inexplicably engraved with the likeness of a dwarf being swallowed by a giant rainbow trout, this deadly steel weapon was once feared by giants throughout the world.  It was long thought lost after the King had a particularly Fun night in the mines beneath his fortress. 

+4,   125,000 gp,  Weapon: Hammer
Enhancement Bonus: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus, or +1d12 damage per plus against Large or larger humanoid
Property: You gain an item bonus to damage rolls against Large or larger humanoids. The bonus equals 2 + the weapon’s enhancement bonus.

Attack Power - Encounter- (Standard Action)
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature). You throw the weapon but make a melee basic attack against the target. On a hit, the target also falls prone. After the attack, the weapon returns to your hand.

Utility Power Daily (Free Action)
Trigger: You hit a creature adjacent to you with this weapon.
Effect: The creature is dazed (save ends).

Quote from: Arkon on July 13, 2012, 12:46:59 AM

Do we see actual flames? 

No, no flames. Just black smoke in the one window. 

After she's done identifying the hammer, Ryla takes a long look at the House. 

"Well, that's quite devious," she says, " I wish I would have thought of it."  She goes on to explain that she thinks the window with the smoke, and perhaps some of the other windows on the building's exterior, are not actually there.  However, she's not sure if the purpose of the illusion is to actually misrepresent what is on the inside of the building.  "I'm not quite certain if the spell is providing a false look inside the House, if it is simply making the wall transparent, or some combination of the two.  It's actually a rather intriguing security measure.  At the very least, it must give potential thieves absolute fits." 

With that, she wanders over to Winnish to see what he's been up to.

Kriv - Perception 17+ 6 = 23
Ryla - Arcana 15 + 16 + 2 for specializing in illusions = 33.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 14, 2012, 03:37:42 AM »

Would that hammer let Bilon actually hit something in melee? 

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1806 on: July 14, 2012, 06:15:51 AM »

"An illusion? On the entire building? That...is an impressive bit of magick, even by my standards. If we are to go inside once I'm done, we must do so carefully. Who knows what illusions and tricks could be layered within."

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 14, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on July 14, 2012, 03:37:42 AM

Would that hammer let Bilon actually hit something in melee? 

Probably only if you took melee training to leverage your highest stat, since your strength is low.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 18, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »

How does the group proceed from here?  Invade the House of Coin?  Make ready for that Prepotency battle group heading to Scaleport?  Go find your old friend Sam and become apprentice shepherds?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1809 on: July 19, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on July 18, 2012, 12:08:02 PM

How does the group proceed from here?  Invade the House of Coin?  Make ready for that Prepotency battle group heading to Scaleport?  Go find your old friend Sam and become apprentice shepherds?

Well, we've made it this far without getting killed. Somehow. It's time to drop everything and become apprentice shepherds!

Er, uh, I mean I think it's time we work our ways into the House of Coin. And try to not kill everyone in doing so.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 19, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »

I agree, while the impending invasion by the Prepotency is a priority, we need to finish what we started at the House of Coin.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »

"Well, then," says Ryla as she climbs the stairs to the House, "Let's chase this droll little badger out of his hole."

She goes to place a hand on one of the large double doors.  Before she can do so, a brief but blinding pulse of white light envelops the mage.   As you blink the sight back into your eyes, Ryla's appearance seems slightly different.  Her clothes look a bit more worn and her face looks a bit more aged.

"Drat," she exclaims, examining her hands.  "An illusion ward!  Haven't seen one of those in ages!  I don't know if I should be impressed or appalled!"

"Perhaps a bit of care is in order here, gentlemen," asks Ryla as she returns back down the stairs. "It seems our badger relies on more than ballistas and brutes to guard his home. "

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1812 on: July 24, 2012, 04:50:49 AM »

*looks around for any remaining guards or the civilians which might still be running around*

Well, how are they getting past the wards? Or did you somehow dispel them with your touch, Ryla?

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 24, 2012, 11:59:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 24, 2012, 04:50:49 AM

*looks around for any remaining guards or the civilians which might still be running around*
None.  Most disappeared behind the House during your last battle, though you did see a few run inside.

Quote from: Destructor on July 24, 2012, 04:50:49 AM

Well, how are they getting past the wards? Or did you somehow dispel them with your touch, Ryla?

"Ah, my friend.  I should have been clearer!  I haven't dispelled a thing.  Rather, this illusion ward has dispelled some minor ... cosmetic illusions of my own!"

Jett looks at the doorway and notices the ward Ryla is talking about.  He thinks its only function is to dispel illusions, but he is unsure how to remove it.

Jett Arcana 20 + 2 = 22

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1814 on: July 25, 2012, 02:40:19 AM »

*thinks out loud*

I think its only function is to dispel illusions. Strange thing to keep on the exterior of the building like this...unless whoever is inside is afraid of meeting people who aren't in their true form for whatever reason.

It should be harmless. Unless one of us are not what we seem to be.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: July 25, 2012, 02:45:48 AM »

"I have nothing to hide, let's get moving."

Kriv will begin walking in the front entrance.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: July 25, 2012, 08:57:03 PM »

Server will be up tonight at 8 EST.*

*unless, like, a sea monster eats the lincoln tunnel or the Internet or something.  Then I might be a few minutes late.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1817 on: July 26, 2012, 04:42:00 AM »

Jett picked up before the fight (Ritual Scrolls):

Hold Portal x2
Endure Primordial Element
Magic Circle x2

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:33 AM »

And our heroes eviscerate some elementals, but lose an ally in the process.

XP and loot:

Spoiler for Hiden:
4000 xp each
One Ryla corpse
Some ranty scrolls
A strange teleportation circle
The ritual scrolls Jett found
A burned, then soaked, small library

Hide Armor of Fire Resistance-

Lvl 17, +4, 65,000 gp, Enhancement Bonus: AC, Property-Resist 10 fire

Chaos Cloak
Lvl 19, +4,   105,000 gp, Enhancement Bonus: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Property - You gain resist 10 to all damage from elemental creatures (including Jett!)

Lightning Scimitar
Lvl 20, +4, 125,000 gp, Enhancement Bonus: attack rolls and damage rolls,
Critical: +4d6 lightning damage.
Power (Lightning)  (Free Action)
All damage dealt by this weapon is lightning damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.
Power (Lightning)  Daily (Free Action)
Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target and each enemy within 2 squares of the target take 2d6 lightning damage.

What does the party do next?

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 27, 2012, 03:13:24 AM »

Isn't there a ritual we have to perform to preserve Ryla's body for resurrection?  We should probably start with that.... icon_eek

-Autistic Angel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 27, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »

That cloak is very nice. 

Our first order of business needs to be bringing Ryla back to life.  Otherwise we need to finish checking out the house of coin, including the basement.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 27, 2012, 11:28:26 PM »

Here are the details of Raise Dead and Gentle Repose, both of which the party has access to.  It could take quite a while to raise Ryla.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Raise Dead

Component Cost: 500 gp
Market Price: 680 gp
Key Skill: Heal (no check)Level: 8
Category: Restoration
Time: 8 hours
Duration: Instantaneous

To perform the Raise Dead ritual, you must have a part of the corpse of a creature that died no more than 30 days ago. You apply mystic salves, then pray to the gods to restore the dead creature’s life. The subject returns to life as if he or she had taken an extended rest. The subject is freed of any temporary conditions suffered at death, but permanent conditions remain.
The subject returns with a death penalty: –1 to all attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, and ability checks. This death penalty fades after the subject reaches three milestones.
You can’t restore life to a creature that has been petrified or to a creature that died of old age.
The subject’s soul must be free and willing to return to life. Some magical effects trap the soul and thus prevent Raise Dead from working, and the gods can intervene to prevent a soul from journeying back to the realm of the living. In all cases, death is less inclined to return paragon (that's what Ryla is) and epic heroes; the component cost is 5,000 gp for paragon tier characters and 50,000 gp for epic tier characters.

Gentle Repose

Component Cost: 10 gp
Market Price: 50 gp
Key Skill: Heal (no check)Level: 1
Category: Restoration
Time: 1 hour
Duration: Special

This ritual is performed on an adjacent corpse. It quintuples the time the corpse can lie dead and still be affected by Raise Dead or a similar ritual. Gentle Repose also protects the corpse from being raised as an undead creature for 150 days.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 28, 2012, 03:25:18 AM »

Unless we're certain on the whereabouts of the local Miracle Max franchise, I think we should do Gentle Repose to make sure Ryla doesn't decay past Mostly Dead.

We could also bring in a local druid or something to see if this living house phenomenon could be adapted to create living walls to help protect the city.  Self-repairing ramparts could increase our Total War Assets by upwards of forty points! nod

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1823 on: July 28, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 28, 2012, 03:25:18 AM

Unless we're certain on the whereabouts of the local Miracle Max franchise, I think we should do Gentle Repose to make sure Ryla doesn't decay past Mostly Dead.

We could also bring in a local druid or something to see if this living house phenomenon could be adapted to create living walls to help protect the city.  Self-repairing ramparts could increase our Total War Assets by upwards of forty points! nod

-Autistic Angel

Humor bits aside, I agree with both parts for sure. Ryla is way too important to lose, especially to a bunch of nobodies like how she died. And this very strange house tree thing could be quite useful for someone who isn't as just plain strange as that Gnome was.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 30, 2012, 08:36:12 PM »

Ok, so is the plan at this stage to cast Gentle Repose on Ryla's corpse, then explore the rest of the House?  Or do you go and see if any of your allies have a Druid they can spare? Other?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1825 on: July 31, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »

Jett is in no further mood to explore the rest of the House. The party is exhausted and we've already had a death with Ryla. Getting into another conflict at this point could see even more fatalities.

That said, if we could find a Druid or two out of our allies (say, on the way to getting Ryla brought back to life), that would be quite the bonus. But getting Ryla healed is Jett's first priority.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 31, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »

The gamer in me says charge on, but the cleric says that our losses are too high at the moment. 

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: August 01, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »

I agree.  Any additional threats we find in this condition would kill us dead, and hopefully any goodies left to find will keep until we've had some shut-eye.

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 02, 2012, 12:46:34 AM »

OK, so rest in the House or make your way back to Fort Scale?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 02, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »

While it may not be the safest option...I am actually voting on resting here in the house of coin, and performing the ritual here...perhaps we could barricade ourselves into one of the rooms.  My concern with going back to Fort Scale is we could absolutely devastate/ruin troop morale if we go marching back in to Fort Scale with a deceased Ryla.  All of these troops are here, following Ryla, not us.  It could break our army and lead to us loosing Scaleport.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1830 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »

Arkon makes a very good point. As much as Jett wouldn't want to sleep here...it's by far the better option.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: August 06, 2012, 12:48:48 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 02, 2012, 12:30:59 PM

While it may not be the safest option...I am actually voting on resting here in the house of coin, and performing the ritual here...perhaps we could barricade ourselves into one of the rooms.  My concern with going back to Fort Scale is we could absolutely devastate/ruin troop morale if we go marching back in to Fort Scale with a deceased Ryla.  All of these troops are here, following Ryla, not us.  It could break our army and lead to us loosing Scaleport.

Quote from: Destructor on August 02, 2012, 07:43:28 PM

Arkon makes a very good point. As much as Jett wouldn't want to sleep here...it's by far the better option.

The gnome-sized bedroom seems the most defensible (and most comfortable!) room.  The party secures themselves inside, barricading the doors as best they're able, while Bilon begins to call upon the power of Avandra to resurrect your fallen comrade.  Hours pass as the cleric chants, imploring his divine patron to free Ryla's soul from the grip of the Shadowfell. Morning gives way to afternoon.  The group keeps watch in shifts on the courtyard below through one of the House's small, strange windows, and spots no activity. 

As Bilon continues his prayers and Kriv takes his turn on watch, Jett sits up with a start.  Someone is attempting to locate him using some sort of psionic energy, but Jett is sure that he remains hidden so far.  It is likely that the anti-scrying runes the party spotted on the courtyard wall are creating interference.  Jett feels the psionic power rapidly fading, but an image quickly flashes through the wizards mind:  A blue-crystal shardmind, sitting cross-legged at the bottom of the pit that serves as the entrance to the mines of Crater Town, home of the Stone Crows. 

Jett thinks he can momentarily disrupt the runes preventing the connection from being established.  Alternatively, he can let the connection fade.   

Bilon will need another 4 hours until the ritual of resurrection is complete.

What do you do?

Jett- Arcana 20 + 20 = 40!  Critical success!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1832 on: August 06, 2012, 06:31:52 AM »

So we can either talk to the shardmind, and in the process let him know about Ryla's condition (as well as ours, and possibly get some information out of it in the process overall), or act like nothing has happened, let the connection fade, and try to 'call back' at a better time (how, of course, is then the question, as I don't think we have any sort of scrying bits handy on our party).

Decisions decisions...

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: August 06, 2012, 04:40:13 PM »

Without Rangrim, the party doesn't really have a way to call back.

Obviously out of character be cause Kriv knows none of this.  Remember the visions we had, included Crater Town.  I think it would be best if Jett went ahead and established communication with Amahez.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1834 on: August 07, 2012, 07:02:55 AM »

Jett warns the others of what he's doing before he exerts his magic to disable the anti-scrying runes scattered across the courtyard. He has a bad feeling about the message he's about to hear.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:06:24 AM by Destructor » Logged

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: August 07, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »

"Ryla, go into the light.  Into the light...., no not that light."

What will Bilon's condition be when he is done with the ritual?  Will he be combat effective?

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: August 08, 2012, 01:22:11 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 07, 2012, 07:02:55 AM

Jett warns the others of what he's doing before he exerts his magic to disable the anti-scrying runes scattered across the courtyard. He has a bad feeling about the message he's about to hear.

Jett's eyes begin to glow with a bright, blue light as Amehez's mind reaches his own:

"... IS AMEHEZ. MUST BE BRIEF.  MAY BE MONITORED.  EMPIRE FORCES ABANDONED FORT ERECTED ON CROW TERRITORY THREE DAYS PAST, NOW MOVING SOUTH WEST. 150 WARRIORS.  WE HARRY THEM AS WE ARE ABLE, BUT CAN NOT STOP THEM. 

"HAVE HEARD RUMORS OF RECENT EVENTS AT SCALEPORT. SUSPECTED GIANTSLAYER'S INVOLVEMENT. UNABLE TO LOCATE RANGRIM.  AM GLAD TO HAVE FOUND YOU ALIVE. 

"ATTEMPT NO RESPONSE."

With that, the Jett's eyes return to normal and the voice leaves his mind.

Quote from: Arnir on August 07, 2012, 08:28:30 PM

"Ryla, go into the light.  Into the light...., no not that light."

What will Bilon's condition be when he is done with the ritual?  Will he be combat effective?

Bilon will be unrested upon completion of the ritual.  He'll need six hours of relative inactivity after the ritual is complete to gain the benefits of an extended rest. 

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 08, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »

Server up @8est, folks.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 09, 2012, 02:08:26 AM »

Posting from phone!  Total computer meltdown! Should have resolved soon!

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 09, 2012, 02:12:45 AM »

Unfortunately, I've got to log out early tonight. frown  Sorry I can't say good night to everyone, but no voice chat tonight either.

Hope your system gets better, kadnod!

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: