http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:01:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 70956 times)
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 20, 2012, 02:09:53 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 20, 2012, 01:58:42 AM

"Now, again, what are you lot doing here?  Specific-like!  'tis not a good day for riddles."

Bilon -Diplomacy 20

[/quote]
The Gnome told us we owed him a lot of money. We are here to to organize the payment.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: June 20, 2012, 02:35:25 AM »

Yes we made level 16.  Will post exact XP in the morning, along with a response from Kriv.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 20, 2012, 02:38:11 AM »

"Now, again, what are you lot doing here?  Specific-like!  'tis not a good day for riddles."

Bilon -Diplomacy 20

The Gnome told us we owed him a lot of money. We are here to to organize the payment.

"Hmm.  What's your name.  I'll be more than happy to tell him that you told us not to worry about it.  Of course, it looks like you won't be around long enough for us to pay up any way.  What's up?"

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: June 20, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 20, 2012, 02:09:53 AM

Quote from: Arnir on June 20, 2012, 02:38:11 AM

"Hmm.  What's your name.  I'll be more than happy to tell him that you told us not to worry about it.  Of course, it looks like you won't be around long enough for us to pay up any way.  What's up?"

One of the guards in the gateway moves to fetch his master, but is cut short as the gnome appears behind him and pushes his way past his guardsman's legs. 

"Ho ho!  Early payment," he laughs, "Were all our accounts like you, we'd save a fortune in blood and coin on debt collection!" 

"And yet, I see no chests, no sacks, no coffers?"  Beezho begins to pace quickly in front of his men while looking the party up and down. "Yes, you've brought me one new treasure," he says with a wink at Ryla, "but the House of Coin does not traffic in Mortal flesh.  'No slaves in the Empire!' and all that."

"So then, is the coin you owe cleverly concealed about your person?  I thought I sensed some spatial distortions about!  Bag of Holding?  Portable Hole?  No matter.  Your secrets are your business.  Just leave the funds here and we'll be on our way, not to be seen again until your little spat with the Prepotency has been satisfactorily, err, terminated."   

When the gnome finishes his monologue, you all hear Ryla's voice whisper in your ears, though she makes no move to actually speak.  She just smiles widely at the gnome.  Jett instantly realizes Ryla is using the Ghost Sound cantrip to communicate with you in near perfect silence.  "I do not believe I care for this petty little warlock.  Not one bit.  If our negotiations were to unfortunately fail, and violence were to spontaneously erupt, I would be eternally grateful if I were to be allowed to visit some gross bodily harm upon him."

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 20, 2012, 04:06:28 AM »

Bilon wants to checkout the opposition from a combat viewpoint.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1765 on: June 20, 2012, 06:03:39 AM »

And Jett will look over the opposition from a magical standpoint. If he had to make a guess, every single one of them has a magical weapon pointed straight at the party, but his guesses have been wrong before.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 20, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 20, 2012, 02:50:12 AM

"Ho ho!  Early payment," he laughs, "Were all our accounts like you, we'd save a fortune in blood and coin on debt collection!" 

"And yet, I see no chests, no sacks, no coffers?"  Beezho begins to pace quickly in front of his men while looking the party up and down. "Yes, you've brought me one new treasure," he says with a wink at Ryla, "but the House of Coin does not traffic in Mortal flesh.  'No slaves in the Empire!' and all that."

"So then, is the coin you owe cleverly concealed about your person?  I thought I sensed some spatial distortions about!  Bag of Holding?  Portable Hole?  No matter.  Your secrets are your business.  Just leave the funds here and we'll be on our way, not to be seen again until your little spat with the Prepotency has been satisfactorily, err, terminated."   

Kriv steps forward, his standard of Bahamut unfurled and blowing in the breeze, smoke wafting from the hole in his throat that stole his ability to breath fire.

"You petty, greedy and vain gnome.  You are no longer an authority in this town...No slaves in the empire...what an abomination of a claim...what do you think my people have been turned in to.  The penance is no such trial, but rather a poor front for pushing the dragonborn race into slavery under the gray dwarves.

In times of such hardship, you care not for the weak and down trodden, instead you only care for bashing in skulls until you get your 30 pieces of silver.  You carry no allegiance to anything but your precious metals that have no divine significance.  Your days as a thug under the guise of a merchant are over.  We have brought no coin, as you will be collecting no more debts, from either us or the people of this town.  You and your goons can either leave peacefully, leaving all possessions behind for the greater good of the people remaining in Scaleport, or you and your men can be taken forcefully into custody and rot in a jail cell until such time that this war is over, and you can be tried for your crimes in a proper court.

If you choose neither of these options, then you will leave us no choice but to send you to whatever vile deity you serve so as to be judged for eternity this day.

The next move is yours gnome, choose now!"

Kriv will continue to boldly walk forward as he is speaking.  When he finishes commanding the gnome to choose his course of action, Kriv will let out a vicious roar. (attempting to use dragonfear on top of an intimidation check if possible, understanding the power would not be available in our next encounter)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1767 on: June 20, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »

Jett watches Kriv break off from the group, and as the Dragonborn finishes his speech, will mutter to himself, "By the 13 layers of Hell themselves..." He'll then hope the knowledge he gathered previously will be helpful in the battle ahead, and ready himself for the combat no doubt to come shortly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 20, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »

DM Confession:  I have not been tracking your XP since back when ghouls were trying to eat you.  I've been relying on Arkon's tally, but I do believe everybody should be level 16 now. 

Our current XP total is 71,000...enough for level 16.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 21, 2012, 02:22:16 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 20, 2012, 04:06:28 AM

Bilon wants to checkout the opposition from a combat viewpoint.

There are 10 goliath warriors at the front of the gate.  Two, armed with crossbows, on top of the wall, and 8 in the gateway.  Bilon can spot another 20 or so scattered about the courtyard and a few more on the wall opposite the gate.  They remind the cleric of the goliaths in the Stone Crow tribe, only better armed and with seemingly more discipline.

Bilon - Perception 12+9 = 21

Quote from: Destructor on June 20, 2012, 06:03:39 AM

And Jett will look over the opposition from a magical standpoint. If he had to make a guess, every single one of them has a magical weapon pointed straight at the party, but his guesses have been wrong before.

The arms and armor the guards are sporting is very well made.  Jett thinks magic may have been used in its creation, but none of it appears to bear any but the most minor of enchantments.  The gate and walls have some defensive runes upon them, though.  The walls would stand up to a lot of damage and are likely protecting those within from being scryed upon.

The gnome seems as potent a magic user as before and Jett thinks Ryla's assessment is correct.  He is almost definitely a warlock, likely in some pact with one of the Masters of the Feywild. But where is that strange elemental energy coming from?  It seems more potent than Beezho should be able to wield?  Jett presses his magical sight to its limits and is able to discern the truth.  The energies come not from Beezho, but from several powerful elementals bound to the gnome, ready to be summoned at a moment's notice.     

Jett - Arcana 19+20 = 39!  critical success!

Quote from: Arkon on June 20, 2012, 01:08:21 PM

Kriv steps forward, his standard of Bahamut unfurled and blowing in the breeze, smoke wafting from the hole in his throat that stole his ability to breath fire.

"You petty, greedy and vain gnome.  You are no longer an authority in this town...No slaves in the empire...what an abomination of a claim...what do you think my people have been turned in to.  The penance is no such trial, but rather a poor front for pushing the dragonborn race into slavery under the gray dwarves.

In times of such hardship, you care not for the weak and down trodden, instead you only care for bashing in skulls until you get your 30 pieces of silver.  You carry no allegiance to anything but your precious metals that have no divine significance.  Your days as a thug under the guise of a merchant are over.  We have brought no coin, as you will be collecting no more debts, from either us or the people of this town.  You and your goons can either leave peacefully, leaving all possessions behind for the greater good of the people remaining in Scaleport, or you and your men can be taken forcefully into custody and rot in a jail cell until such time that this war is over, and you can be tried for your crimes in a proper court.

If you choose neither of these options, then you will leave us no choice but to send you to whatever vile deity you serve so as to be judged for eternity this day.

The next move is yours gnome, choose now!"

Kriv will continue to boldly walk forward as he is speaking.  When he finishes commanding the gnome to choose his course of action, Kriv will let out a vicious roar. (attempting to use dragonfear on top of an intimidation check if possible, understanding the power would not be available in our next encounter)

The gnome's jaw drops as the guards in the gateway take a few steps back.  One trips over his own feet and stumbles backwards, staring at Kriv the whole while.

A soft clicking noise comes from Beezho's throat.  After a moment, your group realizes he's trying to force himself to speak.  "K...K...Kill them all."   He turns and runs past his guardsmen.  He begins to disappear from sight, vanishing under the power of some illusion, but his voice gets louder and stronger as he fades from view.  "Kill them all!  Kill them all!" 

The goliaths, though badly shaken, make ready to obey.

Kriv -Intimidate 26+16+5 for creative power use =  47!

When combat begins, all guardsmen will be slowed and grant combat advantage for the first round of combat. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: June 26, 2012, 04:13:08 AM »

Ryla's companion character stats for the next battle!
Spoiler for Hiden:

linked here.

(just noticed I forgot to note that one power that slows ends on the end of Ryla's turn!  Too much of a hassle to edit it properly! 

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: June 26, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »

Doopri and Winnish, can you guys let me know what you took for level 16 when you get a chance, so I can get your characters updated on iPlay4e.

Kriv is taking the following:

LVL 16 Utility Power:

Divine Aegis
Your god shelters you and your allies from harm.
Daily        Divine, Stance
Minor Action      Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, you and any allies within 2 squares of you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses.

=================================================================================================================

For my feat I am torn between:

Shield Mastery
Paragon Tier
Prerequisite: 11th level, proficiency with light shields or heavy shields
Benefit: While wielding a shield with which you have proficiency, your shield bonus also applies to your Fortitude.

Devoted Paladin
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Paladin, lay on hands power
Benefit: When you use your lay on hands on an ally, that ally regains additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.
Your number of healing surges increases by one.

Angelic Protection
Paragon Tier
Prerequisite: 11th level, paladin, lay on hands
Benefit: When you use lay on hands, you can instead grant the target temporary hit points equal to the number of hit points it would have regained.

=================================================================================================================

Lastly my Paragon Path lvl 16 feature is:

Hospitalers' Care (16th level): You add your Charisma modifier to the healing provided each time you use your lay on hands power.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: June 26, 2012, 11:40:31 PM »

Due to the competent healing of both Bilon and Kriv, Winnish has been able to renew his focus on combat prowess.  And while he will continue to regale both willing and unwilling alike with tales of said prowess, it will no longer be interwoven with the magical bardic energies that had manifested themselves.  He will return to being the wonderfully whimsical trained killer all grew to know and love - however his reputation will suffer as a result!  He now must resume relying on lies and blade rather than honeyed words intuned with magic

Practical Translation:  I'm trading out my Bardic Subclass.  We have more than enough healing and the downside is I'll lose training in Diplomacy, but I'd rather negotiate with the point of my foil any day!

So my Paragon Path Power will unlock (Unfair Advantage) and by rededicating myself I get TWO new feats (yay!):  Two Weapon Fighting and Two Weapon Opening (no more magical bs-ing means more time to practice stabby stabby).
My Utility will be Raise the Stakes (I always try to - and hey; live by the sword, die by the sword).  Oh and 5 more HPs!  That's all folks, see you tomorrow. *winks*
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: June 27, 2012, 01:31:32 AM »

Winnish is updated on iPlay4e.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: June 27, 2012, 03:06:06 AM »

Bilon 16 should be up and loaded.  (Or uploaded if you prefer)
My changes

Spoiler for Hiden:
Healing Circle
(+8) vs. unknown damage Roll Both vs. target(s)
More Rolls...
Notes ▼ Compendium Entry ▼
Report Bad Link

Soothing radiance surrounds you and your companions.
Daily ♦ Divine, Healing, Zone
Minor ActionClose burst 5
Target You and each ally in the burst
Effect Each target regains 15 hit points. The burst creates a zone of healing light that lasts until the end of the encounter. When you or any ally spends a healing surge while within the zone, he or she regains additional hit points equal to 5 + your Charisma modifier.

and

Spoiler for Hiden:

Mighty Crusader Expertise

Prerequisite: Proficiency with holy symbols
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with any two-handed melee weapon and a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls you make with holy symbols. These bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
    In addition, while you wield a two-handed melee weapon, ranged and area attacks you make with a holy symbol do not provoke opportunity attacks.

Published in Dragon Magazine 402.
[\spoiler]

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: June 27, 2012, 03:10:48 AM »

Arnir keep in mind that the bonus from Mighty Crusader Expertise isn't going to stack with Holy Symbol Expertise when making implement attacks, which I think just about all of your attacks are.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 27, 2012, 03:13:36 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 27, 2012, 03:10:48 AM

Arnir keep in mind that the bonus from Mighty Crusader Expertise isn't going to stack with Holy Symbol Expertise when making implement attacks, which I think just about all of your attacks are.

I'll take a look, thanks.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 27, 2012, 03:37:42 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 27, 2012, 03:13:36 AM

Quote from: Arkon on June 27, 2012, 03:10:48 AM

I'll take a look, thanks.

Okay, I plugged this in instead.
Impending Victory

Heroic Tier
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with at-will powers against bloodied creatures.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1778 on: June 27, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »

And picks this level:

Storm Fury (from Paragon Path):
When you first become Bloodied, you deal 5+Wis Lightning damage to all enemies within 10 squares.

Stoneskin (16 Utility, Daily):
Target (you or one friendly) gains Resist 10 to all damage until the end of the Encounter.

Fly (16 Utility, in Spellbook, Daily):
You gain a Fly speed of 8 until the end of your next turn. Sustain Minor: The fly speed persists until the end of your next turn.

Thunder's Rumble (16 Feat):
You gain a +3 Feat Bonus to all Thunder Damage Rolls (basically all my big AoEs). This increases to +4 at level 21.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:39 PM »

Server up @ 8EST!

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 27, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »

I think I have everything updated for Level 16.  My new powers are:

Utility: Meditative Solace - a stance that allows an extra saving throw every round

Paragon: Ride the Spirit - I can teleport up to five squares every time I kill an enemy, and get Combat Advantage against enemies adjacent to where I appear

Feat: Master's Instruction - When I use an Encounter attack power and miss at least one target, one ally I can see gets a +2 bonus to attack a target I missed until the end of my next turn.

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 29, 2012, 01:10:23 AM »

And after defeating the guards at the gate, our heroes must decide if the press onwards in pursuit of their gnomish quarry.

3,200 xp each

Jett thinks he could convert the smoldering remnants of the smashed guardian elemental into about 50,000 gp worth of residiuum, provided he had about ten free minutes and no one was aiming a ballista at him.

Speaking of ballistas, across the chaotic courtyard of the House of Coin, it looks as if more Tradeguard are readying such a device and pointing it towards the party.  10 more guards have taken up position around the device, along with a gnome who is helping to deploy the siege weapon.  There are also some two dozen servants running and screaming about the courtyard, some fleeing back inside the House, others disappearing to its rear.  They all give the party a wide berth, though, and none make for the front gate.

How would you like to proceed?  (If anyone in the party would like to press on immediately, I'll allow them two spend two healing surges to enjoy the benefits of a "short rest" without actually having to rest for 5 minutes. )

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 29, 2012, 03:03:40 AM »

Do we think the elemental is going to decay away if we press onwards, or can we come back to it after we finish clearing the House of Coin?

My vote is to spend the two surges and charge before they can fire the ballista.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 29, 2012, 01:02:52 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 29, 2012, 03:03:40 AM

Do we think the elemental is going to decay away if we press onwards, or can we come back to it after we finish clearing the House of Coin?

Jett thinks you have about half an hour before the remnants cool to the point they are unworkable.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 29, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »

Do we want to charge in or do we want to lay siege to the House of Coin?  Prevent them from leaving?  Demand to see to correct gnome and work out a new deal while we loot the elemental?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1785 on: June 30, 2012, 01:49:05 AM »

I for one want to press on, especially if we can convert some Surges to a Short Rest. They need to come to their senses. Problem is, killing them isn't exactly the answer either.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: June 30, 2012, 02:01:33 AM »

I'll go with the group and convert some surges, too.

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 05, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »

OK, if everybody who wants to burn surges could please post their new surge/hp totals sometime before next session, that would be awesome.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1788 on: July 06, 2012, 03:43:12 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on July 05, 2012, 11:17:55 PM

OK, if everybody who wants to burn surges could please post their new surge/hp totals sometime before next session, that would be awesome.

Sorry, Kadnod, all of my character data is stored in your server. I couldn't tell you.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: July 06, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

Ok, we'll take a few minutes at the beginning of next session to update totals instead.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: July 06, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

Yeah I was trying to remember what my HP and Surges were at, but it is beyond my recollection.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: July 07, 2012, 02:47:55 AM »

I'm lucky and managed to escape largely unscathed!

So I'll be at 94 HPs and 3 Surges after burning the two to press on w/ my encounters back
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: July 07, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 07, 2012, 02:47:55 AM

I'm lucky and managed to escape largely unscathed!

So I'll be at 94 HPs and 3 Surges after burning the two to press on w/ my encounters back

Show off....

Tongue
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: July 07, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »

Hey even if we're doing it over the inter-tubes with fancy soft-war-ma-calls-it and digitized voice-mo-waves, I take the term "Pen and Paper" VERY seriously! slywink

Also, lucky lucky lucky last match - because those goliaths hit HARD!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: July 11, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »

We on for tonight?
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »

A bus is conveying me to my Gygaxtorium as I type!   Server up at 8EST!

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: July 11, 2012, 10:59:32 PM »

Like others, my current char condition is on maptools.  I don't know what I will need to do about healing surges until I log in.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: July 11, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »

I may be 15-20 minutes late tonight. Sorry.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 12, 2012, 11:43:18 AM »

Incredibly tough battle last night, really put us to the test.

Surprised at how hate filled that Goliath was.  It was never my intention to execute him, but he determined his fate with his words and actions.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: July 12, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »

Oh yeah, it was intriguing.  BTW, OOC I have no problem with what happened to the guy.  IC, Bilon is confused abut how rapidly Kriv swings from side to side.  And realizes how similar he is. Bilon is having to think about his moral compass a bit.  Great job.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: