http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:07:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 78536 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: May 26, 2012, 07:50:42 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 26, 2012, 07:39:45 PM

Jett will keep far away from the diplomatic table, but he will keep watch to make sure the problem characters that Kriv scared away don't come back in force.

BTW, did that 2000 experience from last week trip us over into the next level or not?

No, we are still 5000 xp away I believe.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 28, 2012, 02:49:08 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 24, 2012, 10:36:09 PM

We should probably ask Lorna for advice on how to calm the population.  She's been around long enough to know the most influential voices in the community, and our best play is convincing local leaders to help put people at ease.

I don't know who has the best Diplomacy score, but my character will make helper rolls on any attempt to persuade people that we've come to help.

-Autistic Angel

Quote from: Arnir on May 25, 2012, 07:01:58 PM

Bilon will help with diplomacy as well.  I agree that Lorna seems to be the big cheese for now.  Maybe she can let us know the names of other community leaders that will help calm the city.

After discussing matters with the priestess, Lorna will not agree to directly betray the Prepotency, but will assist the party in ways that may lessen the loss of life during your occupation.  She will allow the group access to the temple library if they wish to research the Living Gate, but will remove any books relating to the Prepotency.  She also tells you that you may have luck negotiating some sort of agreement with the merchants at the House of Coin.  They are lead by Beezho of the Swiftriver Trading Company.  Lorna believes you may have some luck buying his loyalty, "but don't try appealing to his better nature.  The old gnome doesn't have one!"  Beyond that, she has no recommendations on people the party could talk to in order to barter some sort of peace or calm the populace.  "You mayhap could've negotiated with Magistrate Vulpis, but I hear you knocked him off his magic horse then threw him off Fort Scale!  Too bad, too.  He was always such a polite lad. A little boring, truth be told, but very respectful. "

AA - Diplomacy 17  (aid another successful)
Bilon - Diplomacy 28 +2 from AA = 30

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: May 29, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »

I may be a bit late for our session tomorrow.  The purchase of the company I work for, by IBM, finally went through, as such there is a day long event tomorrow, that won't wrap up until after dinner, around 7PM eastern, so I am guessing I will be 20-30 minutes late for our session.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 29, 2012, 11:55:51 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 29, 2012, 02:39:54 PM

I may be a bit late for our session tomorrow.  The purchase of the company I work for, by IBM, finally went through, as such there is a day long event tomorrow, that won't wrap up until after dinner, around 7PM eastern, so I am guessing I will be 20-30 minutes late for our session.

No problem.  Asmodeus isn't due to make an appearance until around 9ish, anyway. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: June 02, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »

And our heroes do some research, some recon and move to intercept an impromptu collections agent.

2500 xp each. 

Bakerson gives the group directions to the roadblock and you speed your way south along the city wall.  The southern portions of the city still smell of smoke from the minotaurs' rampage and the light snow that began earlier in the day starts to gain in intensity. After a twenty minute run, you catch sight of the unorthodox blockade.  From the wall, you can see a point about 5 blocks into the city where the main thoroughfare to the Southgate narrows. There, in between some charred buildings and what appear to be huge metallic vats, a low, long wooden palisade blocks the street.   On the side of the roadblock closer to the city wall lurk two hulking armored warriors, while a much smaller man warms himself by a large campfire.  On the opposite side of the palisade, several bodies litter the street.  Some appear to be crawling away, but others are disturbingly still.

What do you do?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: June 02, 2012, 03:18:04 AM »

Kriv will unfurl the Battle Standard, carrying it in his right hand, while wielding his shield in his left.  With his chest puffed out, he will approach the small man by the fire.

"You there, by the fire...I assume you are to blame for this roadblock, as well as these wounded.  I do not care about your petty disputes and for your attempt to collect debts, as such you will take down this barricade immediately, and let folks pass or I shall personally ensure that every single one of your possessions is donated to those in need around this city while you rot in a prison cell.  Now, you and your men are going to let me pass to check on the health and well being of these people."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 03, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 02, 2012, 03:18:04 AM

Kriv will unfurl the Battle Standard, carrying it in his right hand, while wielding his shield in his left.  With his chest puffed out, he will approach the small man by the fire.

"You there, by the fire...I assume you are to blame for this roadblock, as well as these wounded.  I do not care about your petty disputes and for your attempt to collect debts, as such you will take down this barricade immediately, and let folks pass or I shall personally ensure that every single one of your possessions is donated to those in need around this city while you rot in a prison cell.  Now, you and your men are going to let me pass to check on the health and well being of these people."

The two large goliath warriors are clearly startled by the paladin's approach and clumsily draw their halberds. The smaller man, an older gnome upon closer inspection, looks up from his fire and begins to chuckle. 

"Well, then," he laughs, "you're the new magistrate, aye?  Why, man, the Senate will have a collective stroke over this!"

He then looks away and begins to warm his hands by the fire.  "Well, your magnificence, you're not in the book," he pats a large tome on a nearby table, "so we've got no quarrel.  I suggest you keep it that way." He pulls out a pipe and it half disappears beneath a ridiculously large white mustache.   "Keep on walking ... right out of town, if you've got any sense.  I've seen what the Empire does to those who dodge the Penance.  Not pretty."

Kriv -Intimidate 42

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1727 on: June 03, 2012, 12:25:38 AM »

Two large warriors and a smaller gnome... And they think they can completely control an exit out of town? Something else must be up. Jett thinks it's magic. (He'll use his Arcana skill to detect magic around the three and pass the information onto the rest of the party.)

Also, is there anything else he can dredge up out of his memories about the Penance? (History check)

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 03, 2012, 12:47:01 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 03, 2012, 12:25:38 AM

Two large warriors and a smaller gnome... And they think they can completely control an exit out of town? Something else must be up. Jett thinks it's magic. (He'll use his Arcana skill to detect magic around the three and pass the information onto the rest of the party.)

Jett senses strong elemental, illusion and summoning magics on the gnome.  It's likely he's either a powerful arcanist, carrying powerful enchantments, or both.  Jett also detects a fainter magical aura coming from a nearby burnt building, but can't identify the type.

Jett -Arcana 32

The gnome shivers as he falls under Jett's magical sight.   He turns and looks towards the gensai.  "Ahh, but this one, I believe he's in the book."  The gnome stands and shouts towards the wizard, "Aye, be you Jett o' Stone Crow? We've got business, you and I."

Also, is there anything else he can dredge up out of his memories about the Penance? (History check)

You know the Penance is theoretically why the Prepotency rounds up dragonborn.  The dragonborn are supposed to be making amends for not using their armies to stop the dragons from destroying old Osradin.  That's officially why they are being forced to do labor on behalf of the Prepotency.  When the Penance is complete, the dragonborn should be set free, but no one knows what completion actually entails and one of the Legionnaires you interrogated guessed that the dragonborn are in truth being sold as slave labor to the Grey Dwarves. 

Jett-History 36

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: June 03, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »

Kriv will check on the bodies, to see if they are dead or alive.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 03, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »

Bilon is probably on the list?  Reward list or something?  If Kriv doesn't need help with the wounded, Bilon will listen in on the discussion and is more than happy to whack the Gnome.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1731 on: June 05, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »

Jett eyes the Gnome wearily, armed with what information he's learned via his magical sight. "What business do you mean exactly?"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:16:47 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 05, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 03, 2012, 10:15:38 AM

Kriv will check on the bodies, to see if they are dead or alive.

Kriv finds the fallen have taken quite a bludgeoning, but have none have actually been killed.  Kriv quickly binds the worst of their wounds and is relatively confident all shall be able to stumble home soon, just slightly worse for wear.

Kriv-Heal-25 

Quote from: Arnir on June 03, 2012, 06:07:36 PM

Bilon is probably on the list?  Reward list or something?  If Kriv doesn't need help with the wounded, Bilon will listen in on the discussion and is more than happy to whack the Gnome.

Quote from: Destructor on June 05, 2012, 12:13:09 AM

Jett eyes the Gnome wearily, armed with what information he's learned via his magical sight. "What business do you mean exactly?"

As Bilon approaches, the gnome laughs, "Ho!  The gang is all here, aye?  Well, that makes things much easier."

He pulls a sheaf of paper from the thick tome and holds it up over his head, frantically shaking it at Bilon and Jett.  "Beezho, I am!  O' the Swiftriver Trading Company! Main Chair of the Scaleport House o' Coin!  And my business is thus; Your little rebellion has cost my fellows and I a great, great deal of money!  Horrible, I know!  But put your minds at ease, friends.  By this truce you've arranged, I know you are honorable, just men!  I certainly don't believe all those horrible rumors about consorting with ghouls and demonic insects! Never! And now I present you with a wonderful opportunity!  Simply pay this small invoice, and the House shall call your accounts cleared!  And not an electrum of interest shall you be charged! What say you?"

It's difficult to see the details of the writing on the paper he is shaking about, but the big, black numbers at the bottom are relatively easy to read: 325,742 gp

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: June 05, 2012, 01:35:30 AM »

"Ooh, goodie.  We get to kill it."

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: June 05, 2012, 02:15:59 AM »

"Beezho, our people and the citizens of this town will be in need of supplies very shortly.  A wise businessman with established contacts will recognize the opportunity for new profits here.  Someone less shrewd might squander this chance by chasing after the broken promises of expired contracts.  The stream you have is a preferable source of water than the river you do not.  Consider your direction carefully."

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: June 05, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 05, 2012, 02:15:59 AM

"Beezho, our people and the citizens of this town will be in need of supplies very shortly.  A wise businessman with established contacts will recognize the opportunity for new profits here.  Someone less shrewd might squander this chance by chasing after the broken promises of expired contracts.  The stream you have is a preferable source of water than the river you do not.  Consider your direction carefully."

"Oh, we'd be glad to do business with you once this is all over," replies the gnome enthusiastically, "very glad indeed!  Profitable all around, I'm sure.  Unfortunately, this would all be contingent upon your holding of the city against the inevitable Prepotency counter-siege!  Though this would seem an unlikely outcome, we'd surely trade with you if you won the day!  Of course, you'd also need to negotiate some sort of truce with the greater Empire as well, else we'd be branded traitors and our business interests outside Scaleport forfeit!  Can't allow that, of course."

"Still," Beezho continues, now seemingly speaking more to himself than The Monk, "something could be arranged, even absent a greater truce. Subsidiaries. Our friends in the City of Brass, hmm, risk would be low. They'd know, of course, but could never prove.  Yes! Aye!"  He enthusiastically returns his attention to the conversation at hand. "There is wisdom in your words, Githzeri!  But still, a mutual token of good faith would be in order.  For our part?  We would continue to keep our guardsmen inside the House until this nasty business is all sorted out.  Yes, some are calling for blood, 'death to the barbarians,' and all that.  But you have my word, they will stay put!  And on your end?  Well, there is still the small matter of damages incurred.  What would you deem fair?"

AA-diplomacy 18 + 5 situation bonus for coming up with plan appealing to the gnome =23

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: June 09, 2012, 04:03:56 AM »

"Perhaps we're misunderstanding the nature of these damages.  Do you mean the loss of previous clients who are leaving the city?  We're assembling forces from leagues away that will form a new customer base, and because our people do not arbitrarily enslave entire races, we represent a larger, more diverse, and more lucrative market than whatever is passing through those gates.

"If you mean damage to your infrastructure or supply lines, those we can help to rebuild.  The last thing this city needs is any further disruption to its security, either from dwindling stores or fruitless, short-sighted violence in the streets.  Let us negotiate how to help each other once this exodus is done and our adjunct can meet with you in peace."

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: June 10, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 09, 2012, 04:03:56 AM

"Perhaps we're misunderstanding the nature of these damages.  Do you mean the loss of previous clients who are leaving the city?
-Autistic Angel

The gnome hands The Monk the bill and explains the are the expenses the House of Coin has incurred as a result of the invasion.  If they are not compensated, the House will have to pay their members out of their own coffers:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Ships and Cargo destroyed

• The Mermaid  - 79,200 gp
  • The Thunderous 36,000 gp
  • Hallowed Seas  -55,000 gp

Warehouses and Goods destroyed
  • 7 small 2400 gp each 16,800gp
  • 5 large- 10000 gp each-50,000gp

Weregild
  • 43 longshoremen 20gp each- 860gp
  • 53 guardsmen 100gp each 5300gp
  • 5 merchants, Lower House 500 gp each -2500gp
  • 6 merchants, Upper House 2000 gp each -12000 gp

38 gp computation and calculation fee
44 gp scribe fee

"So, as you can see, your invasion has indeed caused us great expense!  All your talk of a glorious future has certainly not fallen on deaf ears, but surely, some compensation is in order?"

The Monk - Diplomacy 8+12 =20

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: June 10, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »

"Ah wonderful, negotiation!  What can we do about this bill, what indeed?  *brashly snatches it, holding it so it can be seen by the Monk.*  Ah, well, first easy bit of business is the matter of these ships.  Highly expensive, make no mistake no one will make recompense for them, a terrible, terrible loss indeed!  So we can cross those off.  *slashes out each ship name with the point of his dagger*  And as you oh so accurately mentioned there are clearly three parties involved here, ourselves *bows deeply, smiles* the Prepotency and of course your own coffers.  So the division of the remainder is parted three ways.  Oh, but wait, wait again!  *points at the line indicating loss of manpower*  How fortunate, you have lost several troops, we have brought several more!  So there's another point of removal!  Where does that leave us... hmm, let's see..."
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 10, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Mermaid  - 79,200 gp
The Thunderous 36,000 gp
Hallowed Seas  -55,000 gp

7 small 2400 gp each 16,800gp
5 large- 10000 gp each-50,000gp

Weregild
43 longshoremen 20gp each- 860gp
53 guardsmen 100gp each 5300gp
5 merchants, Lower House 500 gp each -2500gp
6 merchants, Upper House 2000 gp each -12000 gp

44 gp scribe fee

Equitably Divided Three Ways
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: June 11, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on June 10, 2012, 10:25:02 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Mermaid  - 79,200 gp
The Thunderous 36,000 gp
Hallowed Seas  -55,000 gp

Weregild

44 gp scribe fee

I like it.  If it doesn't work, Bilon might suggest (besides killing people) that we need to present our bill for compensation inflicted on the Crows, Fangs, Myst, etc. by the House of Coins through their agents the Prepotency.  As they bankrolled and supplied the invasion of our lands, we need some recompense.  Plus, of course, the loss of future earnings that we will suffer from the damage and, of course, of course, the newly inflicted costs of the new defensive measures we will have to take to secure our lands against the House of Coin's campaign of aggression and destruction performed by their proxy agents (namely the Prepotency).  I think we may also have to demand payment to cover our costs of invading the city (which apparently include their damages).  We only had to invade this city to mitigate the losses/damages being inflicted on the economy by the above mentioned Coin/Prepotency Proxy War.  Our actions clearly were intended to halt the losses to all parties and as such we should be aided financially in our endeavour.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:17:31 PM by Arnir » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: June 11, 2012, 09:15:58 PM »

Kriv will ignore the discussions of petty possessions and gold and continue tending to the wounded.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Mermaid  - 79,200 gp
The Thunderous 36,000 gp
Hallowed Seas  -55,000 gp

Weregild

44 gp scribe fee

Shouldn't we get a few levels of experience from that damage alone?  If we really did all that.   icon_lol
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:26:37 PM by Arnir » Logged

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: June 12, 2012, 01:10:10 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on June 10, 2012, 10:21:57 PM

"Ah wonderful, negotiation!  What can we do about this bill, what indeed?  *brashly snatches it, holding it so it can be seen by the Monk.*  Ah, well, first easy bit of business is the matter of these ships.  Highly expensive, make no mistake no one will make recompense for them, a terrible, terrible loss indeed!  So we can cross those off.  *slashes out each ship name with the point of his dagger*  And as you oh so accurately mentioned there are clearly three parties involved here, ourselves *bows deeply, smiles* the Prepotency and of course your own coffers.  So the division of the remainder is parted three ways.  Oh, but wait, wait again!  *points at the line indicating loss of manpower*  How fortunate, you have lost several troops, we have brought several more!  So there's another point of removal!  Where does that leave us... hmm, let's see..."

Quote from: Arnir on June 11, 2012, 09:09:29 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Mermaid  - 79,200 gp
The Thunderous 36,000 gp
Hallowed Seas  -55,000 gp

Weregild

44 gp scribe fee

I like it.  If it doesn't work, Bilon might suggest (besides killing people) that we need to present our bill for compensation inflicted on the Crows, Fangs, Myst, etc. by the House of Coins through their agents the Prepotency.  As they bankrolled and supplied the invasion of our lands, we need some recompense.  Plus, of course, the loss of future earnings that we will suffer from the damage and, of course, of course, the newly inflicted costs of the new defensive measures we will have to take to secure our lands against the House of Coin's campaign of aggression and destruction performed by their proxy agents (namely the Prepotency).  I think we may also have to demand payment to cover our costs of invading the city (which apparently include their damages).  We only had to invade this city to mitigate the losses/damages being inflicted on the economy by the above mentioned Coin/Prepotency Proxy War.  Our actions clearly were intended to halt the losses to all parties and as such we should be aided financially in our endeavour.

Just a thought.

The merchant seems incensed at Winnish's creative editing of the bill and vehemently denies that the House is to be held in any way accountable for any damages or loss of life the party and their allies may have suffered.  "Why," he shouts, red-faced and eyes ablaze,  "you might as well say we all owe the bloody ghouls a corpse disposal fee if we continue with this absurd line of thought!"

He grabs the tattered invoice and begins to pace along the barricade quickly, muttering to himself.  Finally, he leaps atop it and walks briskly back towards his fellow negotiators.  Now eye-to-eye with Winnish, he looks as if he's going to begin yelling again, but instead speaks very softly.  "Very well.  Perhaps it is right I seek some recompense from the Legate?  Oh, Seven Hells, he'll surely love that.  But, worth a try, worth a try."

He leaps down and gestures to the armored goliaths.  "You and you! We're back to the House, to gather our people!  Then out of this damned city, out! 'till the killing's done.  And you lot!"  He points at the party.  "I'll be sending some lads around to the Fort at noon today, to collect our unfairly diminished due!  If I see your smiling faces again, and they be not on pikes, I'll look forward to further lively negotiations!" 

The three head into an alley to the North.  What do you do?

Winnish - Bluff = 18
Bilon - Diplomacy= 33

Quote from: Arkon on June 11, 2012, 09:15:58 PM

Kriv will ignore the discussions of petty possessions and gold and continue tending to the wounded.

They're all going to make it, provided the worst hurt aren't left to the mercies of the cold streets, but won't improve further in the short-term unless Kriv decides to call on the power of Bahamut to magically heal them.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: June 12, 2012, 01:15:30 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 11, 2012, 09:18:31 PM

Shouldn't we get a few levels of experience from that damage alone?  If we really did all that.   icon_lol

After the xp got divided between all the minotaurs and hydras and whatnot, there wasn't much left for you guys.  ninja

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: June 12, 2012, 02:25:18 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 12, 2012, 01:15:30 AM

Quote from: Arnir on June 11, 2012, 09:18:31 PM

After the xp got divided between all the minotaurs and hydras and whatnot, there wasn't much left for you guys.  ninja

Damn Communists!  icon_wink

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: June 12, 2012, 03:48:21 AM »

So this is all totally out of character and (sorry kadnod!) not privy to NPC eavesdropping - but now what?  It looks like we have the option, via some creative economics from The Monk and timely bottom line slashing by Winnish and Bilon, to pay a vastly reduced amount at a soon-to-be later date (noon today!) or we can do like the majority and avoid our creditors or resort to violence.  Or hell, we can ignore the bastard at noon, checkpoint cleared and forego (wow I'm not sure how to spell that!) any benefits of improving relations with the merchants at the expense of some, well, spared expenses.  (Damnit now I'm typing like my PC!).  At least those are the options as I see them at the moment.

Also, huzzah for a postive result from an 18 Bluff roll!  Yay gullible loansharks or previous persuasive arguements!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: June 13, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »

Server up at 8EST tonight, folks.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: June 13, 2012, 11:09:48 PM »

I'm confused as to how much we agreed to give them, but shouldn't it be given to them and then taken as a tax or something like that for the upkeep of the city?

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: June 15, 2012, 01:22:33 AM »

And our heroes stubbornly continue to refuse to murder people in our ongoing Diplomacy and Duplicity campaign.

4000 xp each.   

The wizard Ryla has agreed to accompany the party to the House of Coin in order to further negotiate with the merchants therein.  Do you take any further preparations before you depart?

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: June 16, 2012, 01:38:28 AM »

No, my character is set to go straight there.  I'd be surprised if the House of Coin has spotters looking out for us under these circumstances, and going directly there would give them very little time to respond anyhow.

-Autistic Angel
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 17, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »

Ryla wraps herself in a lustrous, black-fur cloak as you step out into the cold streets of Scaleport.  "Lovely snow," she says with a smirk, "I hear that inclement weather generally favors defenders in a siege.  Perhaps the Prepotency has heard the same and will decide to winter in warmer climes?"  With that, the illusion masking the gate of Fort Scale manifests once more and you continue on your way.   

You see more townsfolk making the way to the city gates as you head towards the House.  For the first time, though, you also spot some citizens going about their normal business.  A tavern, a bakery and a general goods store are all open along the route you have chosen.  Some groups of evacuees seem to be stopping to pick up food and supplies for their journey out of the city, but others look as if they're taking their purchases to their homes. 

It only takes about a quarter hour before you catch sight of the House of Coin.  Fifteen-foot high stone walls surround a large a courtyard with an elegant, three-story wooden building in the center.   The House itself looks almost out of place in Scaleport and somewhat reminds you of a larger, more elaborate version of the woodland buildings back in Misthome.

The large, brass gates to the courtyard are swung wide open as grim, heavily armored guards stare down into the streets below.  Inside, you can see frantic servants loading a half a dozen oxcarts with wooden containers of various shapes and sizes.   

What do you do?

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: June 18, 2012, 01:31:04 AM »

I say we walk in and say we are here for our meeting with the gnome whose name I can't remember.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1753 on: June 18, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »

Although I'm curious what's going on with the servants. Are they going somewhere in a hurry?

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: June 18, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 18, 2012, 09:35:27 PM

Although I'm curious what's going on with the servants. Are they going somewhere in a hurry?

I agree.  Although I don't have anything against levying a tax on outgoing capital that is vital to the city.  It might even be equal to what we "owe" the House of Coin.

I have a feeling they want to get out of Dodge before the Preps show up. 

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: June 19, 2012, 02:23:43 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 18, 2012, 09:35:27 PM

Quote from: Arnir on June 18, 2012, 10:49:28 PM

I have a feeling they want to get out of Dodge before the Preps show up. 

The wizard and the cleric do think the staff of the House are preparing to leave.  From the look of things, they're not loading warehoused goods into the carts, but the furnishings of the House itself.   

Jett also spots a large tapestry depicting a group of cindersoul genasi being gingerly placed in the back of one cart.  He thinks it might have been created in the rare and valuable fireweave style, an artform popular among the more civilized residents of the Elemental Chaos, which features images that flicker in the wind and generate their own heat.   

Jett- Perception 28
Bilon - Perception -21

Quote from: Arnir on June 18, 2012, 01:31:04 AM

I say we walk in and say we are here for our meeting with the gnome whose name I can't remember.

As you get closer to the entrance, a goliath guard wielding a massive crossbow catches sight of your group and whistles loudly from atop the wall.  "Hey, you lot.   State your business!" 

He seems to have caught the attention of several of his fellows, as a dozen other guards are now making their way to the front gate.  Ryla leans heavily on her ivory staff and sighs. 

What do you do?

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: June 19, 2012, 02:30:51 AM »

"We were told to make good our accounts.  What are you doing?"

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1757 on: June 19, 2012, 11:55:28 PM »

Jett nods in appreciation at the art as he notices it, and then frowns at the guards as the lot of them get noticed. He then lets Bilon do the talking, at least for now.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: June 20, 2012, 01:40:15 AM »

Kadnod, did you say we made it up a level?

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: June 20, 2012, 01:58:42 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 19, 2012, 02:30:51 AM

"We were told to make good our accounts.  What are you doing?"

"Recalibrating my bolt-thrower," shouts the burly goliath as he slowly turns a crank on his mammoth crossbow.  His fellows, seeming none too pleased with your arrival, take up a defensive position in the gateway.

"Now, again, what are you lot doing here?  Specific-like!  'tis not a good day for riddles."

Bilon -Diplomacy 20

Quote from: Arnir on June 20, 2012, 01:40:15 AM

Kadnod, did you say we made it up a level?

DM Confession:  I have not been tracking your XP since back when ghouls were trying to eat you.  I've been relying on Arkon's tally, but I do believe everybody should be level 16 now. 

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: