http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:31:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 68477 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: April 11, 2012, 01:52:05 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on March 29, 2012, 02:36:45 AM

I'll try to have a map up on the board in advance of next session so you can get a better idea of your surroundings prior to facing the Lovecraftian horror.  (Everyone roll SAN checks! Whoops, wrong game!)

Sorry, guys.  Ran out of time to put this map together in advance of the game due to minor RL emergency.  I think we are still good to play tomorrow night, though.  Should have it ready by then!
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 3523


View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: April 11, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »

Hope everything's okay, kadnod!

For Level 15, my character is going to drop Masterful Spiral and take Dancer on the Sea of Battle from PHB 3.

Quote from: Player's Handbook 3, Page 71
Daily -- Implement, Psionic

Standard Action -- Melee 1
Effect:
I shift my speed and can make the following attack once against each enemy I move adjacent to during the shift.

Target: One enemy
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude

Hit: 3d10 + Dex Mod damage, and I knock the target prone
Miss: Half damage


-Autistic Angel
Logged
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 973


View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: April 11, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »

I added:

Divine Reprisal Magic Holy Symbol +3 Unarmed
Wisdom (+17) vs. Will 3d8+8 Radiant damage Roll Both vs.  target(s)
You utter a prayer to heal an ally's injury and exact punishment against the attacker.
Daily ♦ Divine, Healing, Implement, Radiant
Immediate ReactionRanged 10
Trigger An enemy within 10 squares of you hits your ally
Target The triggering enemy
Attack Wisdom vs. Will
Hit 3d8 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage.
Effect The ally can make a saving throw and can spend a healing surge.

It replaced Moment of Glory.
Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: April 11, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »

AA has been updated on iPlay4e.
Logged
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2853


View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: April 11, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »

hope everything worked out fine and minor issue is something as simple as changing a tire!
Logged
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2853


View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 11, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »

Arkon I swapped out Precise Incision for the shiny new version Wounding Strike (I wish I could swap the names, as PI sounds MUCH more menacing than wounding strike).

I'm also availing myself of the usual once a level retrain to get rid of fortuitous dodge for sidestep stance - I hope sticking with a daily doesn't mean this one will just sit there too, especially when I have one where I can shift my speed once per encounter...
Logged
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: April 11, 2012, 11:10:29 PM »

Server will be up at 8est.
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: April 11, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »

Winnish has been updated on iPlay4e.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: April 12, 2012, 07:06:29 PM »

So last night was a lot of fun...thankfully I built my Paladin to be able to heal and not just defend.  Now if only I would have remembered that I had an Elixer of Flying in my inventory!

 retard

==============================================

Kriv will continue working with the released dragonborn to remove the spikes in a fashion to do no permanent damage to them.  If there are any healers within the ranks of the Mists I will instruct them on the proper techniques so they can assist.

"Ryla, on our way back here to the fort we encountered a vile monstrosity that has escaped from the Hippodrome.  It may be wise for us to gather intelligence on what else may be running loose, in addition to gathering intelligence on any remaining pockets of Prepotency resistance."

Once all of the dragonborn have been attended to, Kriv will look for opportunities to assist in fortifying the fort.
Logged
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: April 13, 2012, 02:22:01 AM »

And our heroes bash the flying horror back to Miskatonic U and get to healing up some dragonborns.

2500 XP each.

Quote from: Arkon on April 12, 2012, 07:06:29 PM

"Ryla, on our way back here to the fort we encountered a vile monstrosity that has escaped from the Hippodrome.  It may be wise for us to gather intelligence on what else may be running loose, in addition to gathering intelligence on any remaining pockets of Prepotency resistance."

"Yes, we should definitely learn what we can.  Please, lets all discuss what we know so far..."

After comparing notes with Ryla, Suhvob and Barger, the party learns the following:

  • Nearly all the minotaurs have left the city.  Suhbov persuaded 15 bulls to remain loyal to Ryla, but over 200 left after their Queen's defeat at the Temple.
  • You now have approximately 400 troops to hold the Fort and the City, made up primarily of Grey Mist warriors with Barger's halflings, a few dragonborn hoplites who have abandoned the Five Fangs and Suhvob's kin providing support.
  • Much of Scaleport is abandoned, but Barger estimates there are at least 5,000 Prepotency citizens still living in the city, hiding in their homes.
  • Armored warriors have been seen at the House of Coin, Kraken Hall and the Temple of Bahamut.
  • Ft. Scale's artillery is damaged beyond the ability of Ryla or her apprentices to repair.
  • The Mist have captured about 20 prisoners, mostly servants employed at the castle, and imprisoned them in the cells beneath the Fort.

Barger offers to send his lads out to do more reconnaissance, but wants advice on where they should concentrate their efforts.  Ryla suggests they learn what they can about Kraken Hall near the city center, but Suhvob insists they would be better used outside the city, on the lookout for any Prepotency reinforcements.  They all seem interested in the party's opinion on this matter.

Quote from: Arkon on April 12, 2012, 07:06:29 PM

Once all of the dragonborn have been attended to, Kriv will look for opportunities to assist in fortifying the fort.

The dragonborn have been made comfortable and a few may even be able to fight after a few days of rest.   Kriv thinks the Fort's primary weakness is the shattered gate and lends his efforts to repair it. 
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 3523


View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: April 17, 2012, 03:53:13 AM »

By the way, the tentacle monster made a whole series of comments about winning points by taking us down, retreating back to his arena, and respawning after he was killed.  It all sounded like MMO talk to me, but since my character had no frame of reference to make sense of it, he was reinterpreting it as best he could. nod

-Autistic Angel
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »

"I am sure that my opinion is somewhat biased, but I would like to investigate the Temple of Bahamut and make sure that it has not been defiled."
Logged
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: April 20, 2012, 02:34:12 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2012, 11:54:23 AM

"I am sure that my opinion is somewhat biased, but I would like to investigate the Temple of Bahamut and make sure that it has not been defiled."

"That may be a wise choice," replies Ryla.  "If you can persuade those within to join us, it could go far in securing the loyalty of the people of Scaleport."
"But don't be surprised if the Prepotency has gone and messed about with it," interrupts Barger.  "I hear worship of the ol' scaly gods is a hanging offense in the Empire.  Can't imagine they'd leave a temple to the Platinum Dragon in one piece."
"So don't be afraid to stab a few priests if you have to!  Ha!" Suhvob laughs a bit too long at his jest, seemingly oblivious to the scowls of Ryla and Barger.  The minotaur then slaps Bilon roughly on the shoulder.  "Aint that right, tiny?"
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15845


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1693 on: April 20, 2012, 06:15:43 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2012, 11:54:23 AM

"I am sure that my opinion is somewhat biased, but I would like to investigate the Temple of Bahamut and make sure that it has not been defiled."

"Somewhat biased indeed, but making sure that the Temples of this city are in working order would be a morale booster for those citizens that still remain, among other things."

Jett agrees with Suhvob - making sure that we don't get ambushed from reinforcements entering the city from the outside seems to be the sound plan. Odds are good there's still plenty of opponents inside the city gates - but outside, who knows at this point.

Jett also offers his magical skills in any wards or defenses that Ryla may have set up or is in the process of getting ready, but only for so long - he (along with the rest of the party) are in dire need of rest.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 973


View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: April 22, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »

Bilon supports checking out the temple, but feels a long rest is in order as he is magically spent.
Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: April 22, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 20, 2012, 06:15:43 AM

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2012, 11:54:23 AM

"I am sure that my opinion is somewhat biased, but I would like to investigate the Temple of Bahamut and make sure that it has not been defiled."

"Somewhat biased indeed, but making sure that the Temples of this city are in working order would be a morale booster for those citizens that still remain, among other things."

Jett agrees with Suhvob - making sure that we don't get ambushed from reinforcements entering the city from the outside seems to be the sound plan. Odds are good there's still plenty of opponents inside the city gates - but outside, who knows at this point.

Jett also offers his magical skills in any wards or defenses that Ryla may have set up or is in the process of getting ready, but only for so long - he (along with the rest of the party) are in dire need of rest.

Barger agrees with Jett and Suhvob.  He leaves the meeting and sends his halflings out to scout the city walls and to keep an eye out for anyone approaching the city. 

Ryla and Jett then begin work to improve Ft. Scale's arcane defenses.   Jett offers Ryla several suggestions on how to improve her illusions and to fortify them the power of fire and storm.  The pair are confident the Fort should be nearly impervious to scrying.  The mages are also able to prepare a nasty surprise for any enemies who may try to strike from the air.  If all has gone according to plan, anyone approaching Fort Scale from the skies with hostile intent should find themselves suddenly lost inside a storm of thunder, darkness and flame. 

Quote from: Arnir on April 22, 2012, 12:54:04 AM

Bilon supports checking out the temple, but feels a long rest is in order as he is magically spent.

After their labors are done, the party is able to sleep for the rest of the evening.  They awake to a cold and clear winter morning. 
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 25, 2012, 09:44:05 PM »

Server up at 8 EST!  Rust Monster invasion at 9 EST!
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15845


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1697 on: April 25, 2012, 11:33:21 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 25, 2012, 09:44:05 PM

Server up at 8 EST!  Rust Monster invasion at 9 EST!

*runs around in a panic* Rust monsters! Rust monsters!

Wait...Jett has nothing metal on him. Short of a dagger or three. Okay, that would be bad to lose.

Rust monsters! Rust monsters!
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 973


View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:49 PM »

Yes, but if they are made of rust, then they will just go poof.
Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 27, 2012, 02:53:38 AM »

And our heroes negotiate their way through the session, making friends with an elderly priestess of Ioun and totally bypassing the awesome combat encounter their poor DM spent hours slaving over a hot computer designing.  icon_wink

Loot and XP
Spoiler for Hiden:
2500 XP each. 

Platinum Dragon Rampant Battle Standard -  counts as Battle Standard of the Fiery Legion
Level 16 Uncommon, Wondrous Item        45,000 gp
Power (Fire, Zone) Encounter (Standard Action)
-When you plant the battle standard in your space or an adjacent square, it creates a zone in a close burst 10. You and each ally in the zone gain resist 10 fire and can choose to have any attack you make deal fire damage instead of its normal damage type. This effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until the battle standard is removed from the ground. Any character in or adjacent to a battle standard's square can remove it from the ground as a standard action.

Upon the group's return to Fort Scale, things appear to be in relative order.  It looks as if your own troops have raided the Fort's armory in your absence.  You see many of your allies garbed in random pieces of Legionnaire armor under heavy woolen cloaks.   Several minotaur are gathered around a fellow bull wearing a portable Prepotency firebelcher cannon.  It does not appear that they're having much luck figuring out how to operate the device. A frustrated Suhvob taps the fuel tank several times in rapid succession with a large brass mace, then presses an ear against the tank's side.

What do you do?
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 3523


View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: April 30, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »

We should probably check in with the teams we sent out to sweep the neighborhoods.  We can't let any Prepotency remnants get the populace organized against us, and the sooner we communicate our intentions, the less reason the citizenry would have to join in.  The only people better acquainted with Scaleport's strategic resources than the Prepotency will be the people who live there, so our fastest way to secure the city is by securing their trust.

-Autistic Angel
Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15845


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1701 on: April 30, 2012, 06:06:09 AM »

The first thing we need to do is let Ryla know of what happened with our little trip, and how we've made a sort of cease-fire agreement with the Prepotency for a short time. This needs to be honored, as the last thing we want to do is piss off an elderly priestess who no doubt can kick our asses in if we break this.

Jett, having seen how the firebelchers work first hand (and I think still carrying one somehow), will help out Suhvob best he can in passing on his knowledge.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2853


View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 30, 2012, 11:46:57 PM »

*flashes a nervous smile at Suhvob* Ah, er... ahem, m'boy!  *a bit of a grimace*  Perhaps I might suggest Jett here give aid in the operation of that bit of artifice.
Logged
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 01, 2012, 11:53:20 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 30, 2012, 03:52:10 AM

We should probably check in with the teams we sent out to sweep the neighborhoods.  We can't let any Prepotency remnants get the populace organized against us, and the sooner we communicate our intentions, the less reason the citizenry would have to join in.  The only people better acquainted with Scaleport's strategic resources than the Prepotency will be the people who live there, so our fastest way to secure the city is by securing their trust.

-Autistic Angel

The Monk discusses the situation with Barger and Kiln, both who have troops patrolling different parts of Scaleport.  Neither is aware of any overt attempt on behalf of the Prepotency to rally the populace, but several groups of townsfolk have been spotted making their way to Kraken Hall.

Quote from: Destructor on April 30, 2012, 06:06:09 AM

The first thing we need to do is let Ryla know of what happened with our little trip, and how we've made a sort of cease-fire agreement with the Prepotency for a short time. This needs to be honored, as the last thing we want to do is piss off an elderly priestess who no doubt can kick our asses in if we break this.

Jett, having seen how the firebelchers work first hand (and I think still carrying one somehow), will help out Suhvob best he can in passing on his knowledge.

Ryla is a bit suspicious of Prepotency betrayal, but agrees to honor the cease-fire.

Quote from: Doopri on April 30, 2012, 11:46:57 PM

*flashes a nervous smile at Suhvob* Ah, er... ahem, m'boy!  *a bit of a grimace*  Perhaps I might suggest Jett here give aid in the operation of that bit of artifice.

As Jett and Winnish approach, Suhvob reluctantly stops smacking the mobile artillery piece with blunt weaponry.  "Bah!  I could have figured it out," bellows the minotaur. "You two should go help those other bookworms up in the keep.  They're downright aroused by all the new toys in this place.  Ha!"
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2853


View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: May 14, 2012, 02:07:02 AM »

*surveys the current situation, and is clearly quite pleased*  "Our secured cease fire seems not to be for naught, praise Ryla.  And for the moment we have no native uprising in the streets!  Is it too much to hope for no mounting counterattack outside our walls?"  *removing the battle standard he slung across his back like a bow, he glances at both it and his dragonborn companion* "Looks a bit like you m'boy!  You want it, or might I continue to carry the dragon's glory along my back?  Though *a bit sheepish* with flag furled for now. *winks* Wouldn't want to worry the world extolling the virtues of a return to our reptilian rulers!"
Logged
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 3523


View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 14, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »

That's a good point: we should have small scouting parties advancing outside the city to provide some advance warning of an enemy counter attack.  We'll also want to create an escort for any Prepotency troops who will be leaving the city peacefully, for our protection and for theirs.  Hopefully Ryla can help us put together a task force of soldiers who can be trusted not to provoke a confrontation, and we'll want to keep the exit route as clear as possible to avoid making a big scene.  No riots.

Once they're gone, we'll need to ensure a steady supply of food and water to everyone in the city and start shoring up all the points of ingress that we identified on the way in.  Polling the citizenry might turn up more, especially if we can establish that we're here to help.

-Autistic Angel
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: May 14, 2012, 02:15:30 PM »

"Winnish, I do believe the battle standard was given to me, and as one of the last bastions of Bahamut's light in this world, it is my duty to carry the standard in all of it's glory.

Thank you for being willing to carry it, but it is my cross to bear."
Logged
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2853


View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:28 PM »

AA I like the idea of an escort for the Prepotency troops a lot.  And I think our group might be one of the best for "least likely to cause a provocation."  While Winnish has no love lost for the Prepotency, fighting along side a bandit prince has certainly made our group familiar with shifting alliances and the need for temporary cease fires and strange bedfellows.  Heck, we almost went into negotiations with the Prepotency at one point - and while we're nowhere near doing that, I do think it means we have the best temperament for the escort.  Even if maybe we are #1 on the Prepotency's most wanted.

*edit* And rereading your post, I just noticed that if we escort it'll kill two birds with one stone - we can get a good look at the surrounding fields and maybe even scout any force that will be coming to rejoin the fight or just cover the troops' retreat.  Hopefully our new "friend" in the Temple is doing a good job of healing the wounded and keeping the city out of squalor.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:25:15 PM by Doopri » Logged
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: May 15, 2012, 03:03:38 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 14, 2012, 02:11:38 PM

That's a good point: we should have small scouting parties advancing outside the city to provide some advance warning of an enemy counter attack.  We'll also want to create an escort for any Prepotency troops who will be leaving the city peacefully, for our protection and for theirs.  Hopefully Ryla can help us put together a task force of soldiers who can be trusted not to provoke a confrontation, and we'll want to keep the exit route as clear as possible to avoid making a big scene.  No riots.

Once they're gone, we'll need to ensure a steady supply of food and water to everyone in the city and start shoring up all the points of ingress that we identified on the way in.  Polling the citizenry might turn up more, especially if we can establish that we're here to help.

-Autistic Angel

Quote from: Doopri on May 14, 2012, 03:22:28 PM

AA I like the idea of an escort for the Prepotency troops a lot.  And I think our group might be one of the best for "least likely to cause a provocation."  While Winnish has no love lost for the Prepotency, fighting along side a bandit prince has certainly made our group familiar with shifting alliances and the need for temporary cease fires and strange bedfellows.  Heck, we almost went into negotiations with the Prepotency at one point - and while we're nowhere near doing that, I do think it means we have the best temperament for the escort.  Even if maybe we are #1 on the Prepotency's most wanted.

*edit* And rereading your post, I just noticed that if we escort it'll kill two birds with one stone - we can get a good look at the surrounding fields and maybe even scout any force that will be coming to rejoin the fight or just cover the troops' retreat.  Hopefully our new "friend" in the Temple is doing a good job of healing the wounded and keeping the city out of squalor.

Suhvob, overhearing your plans as he finally seems to get the hang of the fire belcher, comments, "Ha!  Let all them fleeing see that the infamous Giantslayers really are here!  And not murdering them! Should put just the right mix of fear and respect into the cowardly bastards!"

Under the terms of your agreement with Lorna, refugees may start leaving the city at dawn by either land or sea.  That means you've got about 16 hours before any exodus begins, should the choose to keep (and be able to enforce) her end of the bargain.  Are there any other preparations you would like to make?
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: May 18, 2012, 02:11:31 AM »

And our heroes wander down into their own personal dungeon, interrogate some prisoners, followed by random acts of stabbing, neck snapping and psychic possession.

2000 XP each.

When you head back to the Temple of Ioun & Erathis, you spot Lorna, flanked by several temple guards, speaking to a group of about 30 townsfolk.  A few of the townsfolk are shouting as the elderly priestess leans heavily on her ivory staff and motions for them to calm down. 

What do you do?

Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 3523


View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: May 18, 2012, 08:01:47 PM »

I think we need to know how distant shardminds are able to physically possess some people, even kill them outright, but apparently not others.  Without that information, we're basically in The Matrix where anyone could be subverted into an enemy agent at a moment's notice.

Maybe Jett and Bilon can examine the bodies of the prisoners for any sort of brand, tattoo, or implant that would explain it.  Assuming we can figure it out, we'll need to start screening everyone in the city immediately...including Bilon, who has previously been off on extended adventures by himself, and Arkon's dragonborn who we just met.

Also, we should find out how to help calm the situation around Lorna and find out what's happening.

-Autistic Angel
Logged
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 20, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 18, 2012, 08:01:47 PM

I think we need to know how distant shardminds are able to physically possess some people, even kill them outright, but apparently not others.  Without that information, we're basically in The Matrix where anyone could be subverted into an enemy agent at a moment's notice.

Maybe Jett and Bilon can examine the bodies of the prisoners for any sort of brand, tattoo, or implant that would explain it.  Assuming we can figure it out, we'll need to start screening everyone in the city immediately...including Bilon, who has previously been off on extended adventures by himself, and Arkon's dragonborn who we just met.

(assuming Jett and Bilon have no objection to the investigation...)

Jett and Bilon are unable to locate any sort of rune on the two dead prisoner's bodies.  Jett continues to detect slight, but now rapidly fading, psionic energies on the body of Victus.  He does not feel these energies are remnants of the legionnaire's possession, though.   It is likely Victus himself possessed some sort of psionic abilities.

Bilon also recalls that, according to obscure Avandrian scripture, psionic abilities only began appearing in the Mortal World after some foolish god forced his way into the Realm of Nightmare.  Bilon always thought this proverb was just a metaphor for the carelessness of the other gods, but if it described a real sequence of events that the shardmind were mixed up in, perhaps they have the ability to empower Mortals with psionic abilities?

Bilon-religion 28
Jett-arcana 30

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 18, 2012, 08:01:47 PM

Also, we should find out how to help calm the situation around Lorna and find out what's happening.

-Autistic Angel

Some of those in the crowd are starting to disperse, but it looks like the angriest members of the mob are getting even angrier...
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15845


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1712 on: May 20, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on May 20, 2012, 04:00:13 AM

Some of those in the crowd are starting to disperse, but it looks like the angriest members of the mob are getting even angrier...

Then it's time we figure out what's going on. The last thing we need is some sort of riot (no matter how small).
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 23, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 20, 2012, 02:16:44 PM

Then it's time we figure out what's going on. The last thing we need is some sort of riot (no matter how small).

Does the group approach the mob in any particular way or is it just a casual wander on over to the commotion?
Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 23, 2012, 02:23:12 PM »

Kriv will approach Lorna at an angle to which the crowd will be able to clearly see him.

"Lorna, is there a problem here?"

Kriv will be ready to intimidate the crowd into standing down if needed.
Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15845


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1715 on: May 23, 2012, 04:24:25 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on May 23, 2012, 02:00:32 PM

Quote from: Destructor on May 20, 2012, 02:16:44 PM

Then it's time we figure out what's going on. The last thing we need is some sort of riot (no matter how small).
Does the group approach the mob in any particular way or is it just a casual wander on over to the commotion?

Jett will keep his distance and let Kriv do all the talking. The big hulking Dragonborn is far more menacing and capable of controlling crowds than Jett is.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1258



View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 23, 2012, 02:23:12 PM

Kriv will approach Lorna at an angle to which the crowd will be able to clearly see him.

"Lorna, is there a problem here?"

Kriv will be ready to intimidate the crowd into standing down if needed.

Quote from: Destructor on May 23, 2012, 04:24:25 PM

Jett will keep his distance and let Kriv do all the talking. The big hulking Dragonborn is far more menacing and capable of controlling crowds than Jett is.

As Kriv gets closer, he hears some of the complaints from the crowd more clearly.

"They'll never honor the truce!"
"Those damn bulls are probably waiting right outside the gates!  They'll butcher us all!"
"You've betrayed the Empire, Priestess!"

"Lorna," asks the paladin, "is there a problem here?"

Like a group of chastised children, the mob quickly goes silent as they catch sight of the plate-clad warrior.  It seems they are unused to seeing a heavily armed dragonborn in the midst.  One angry young woman, somewhat less cowed startled than her compatriots, shouts "Wymrling!" and makes to lob a rock at Kriv.   A low growl from the paladin stops her in her tracks.  Her stone drops at her feet, and as it strikes the ground, the mob breaks.  Screaming, they flee in random, erratic directions as fast as they are able.  

"Well," shouts Lorna over their screams, "that's certainly a hell of a way to end a meeting!"  

The priestess cackles so loudly, so violently at her jest, the small blue stone circling her head appears as if it may fly loose from its orbit.  

Kriv- Intimidate 46!  Critical success!

What does the group do?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:23:48 AM by kadnod » Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 3523


View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: May 24, 2012, 10:36:09 PM »

We should probably ask Lorna for advice on how to calm the population.  She's been around long enough to know the most influential voices in the community, and our best play is convincing local leaders to help put people at ease.

I don't know who has the best Diplomacy score, but my character will make helper rolls on any attempt to persuade people that we've come to help.

-Autistic Angel
Logged
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 973


View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: May 25, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »

Bilon will help with diplomacy as well.  I agree that Lorna seems to be the big cheese for now.  Maybe she can let us know the names of other community leaders that will help calm the city.
Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15845


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1719 on: May 26, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »

Jett will keep far away from the diplomatic table, but he will keep watch to make sure the problem characters that Kriv scared away don't come back in force.

BTW, did that 2000 experience from last week trip us over into the next level or not?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:41:39 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.347 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.212s, 2q)