http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:21:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 74453 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:36:37 AM »

Summer!  It's hot!  There's nothing on television and game publishers go into hibernation until September.  I guess we could...I don't know, go outside or something...but instead it's time for our annual GamingTrend Dungeons & Dragons adventure! eek

Featuring:

Arkon as the Dwarven Resilient Battlemind
Arnir as the Dwarven Cleric
Autistic Angel as the Githzerai Monk
Destructor as the Genasi Wizard
Doopri as the Human Rogue

with

Lockdown as the Halfling Bard (on sabbatical)

and

kadnod as the DM!

Time: 8:00pm Eastern, every other Wednesday evening, starting 7 / 7 / 10

Character Creation: We'll be using a standard point-buy for anything out the Player's Handbooks 1, 2 or 3 *except* hybrid characters with multiclass feats -- it's one or the other.  Additional stuff from Dragon Magazine are also fair game, but check with kadnod before picking anything out of a third-party supplement.  The free version of the official Character Creator doesn't support many of the options from PHB 3, but if you need it, some of the other players have extra installs of the full version to share.

Software: We'll be using MapTool for our tabletop software, specifically version 1.3b70.  For voice chat, we'll be using GamingTrend's dedicated Ventrillo server, courtesy of UMSC Kato. thumbsup

Campaign: By popular vote, kadnod will be running Escape from the Empire!
Twenty years ago, the ancient dragon-emperors who ruled your homeland went inexplicably berserk.  Your once mighty civilization was swiftly reduced to a pack of squabbling tribes.  Now a horrible new empire rises from the south.   Can you lead your tribe to safety and eventually unite your people?

I'll be updating this first post with more information as more details get settled.  A lot of things are still in flux, so post something if you're interested in being an alternate!  More to come....

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:45:45 AM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 02:51:18 AM »

Here's most of my character details.  I still need to buy gear, but it has all the basics (and gives everyone a chance to double-check my math!)  Spoiler-tagged for length:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Here's the Centered Breath Monk character I'm hoping to try, straight out of Players Handbook 3.

Race: Githzerai  (+2 WIS, DEX, Acrobatics, Athletics, Initiative)
Class: Monk
Alignment: Good

Abilities & Modifiers (racial bonuses applied)
STR: 13 (+1)
CON: 12 (+1)
DEX: 18 (+4)
INT: 10
WIS: 16 (+3)
CHA: 11

Defenses
AC: 16  (10 + 4(Dex) +2(class - cloth or unarmored only)

Fortitude: 13   (10 +1(Str) +1(class) +1(centered breath)
Reflex: 15   (10 +4(Dex) +1(class)
Will: 14   (10 +3 (Wis) +1(class)

Skills (racial bonuses applied)
+6  Acrobatics
+0  Arcana
+8  Athletics  (trained)
+0  Bluff
+0  Diplomacy
+3  Dungeoneering
+6  Endurance  (trained)
+3  Heal
+0  History
+8  Insight  (trained)
+0  Intimidation
+3  Nature
+8  Perception  (trained)
+0  Religion
+4  Stealth
+0  Streetwise
+4  Thievery

Feats

Pointed Step Style

Powers

At-Will
Dancing Cobra
Five Storms
Centered Flurry of Blows

Encounter
Iron Mind
Drunken Monkey

Daily
Masterful Spiral

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:35:15 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:09:52 AM »

The free creator doesn't have access to most of the PH3 classes/races? Wow. I guess it might be time to plunk down the $5 or whatever a month's sub to D&D Insider is to download the new version. Remember - even though your sub is expired, as long as you don't delete the creator, you'll still have full access to it. You just won't get updates anymore. Unless they changed that bit.

Anyway...

I've been digging through the creator as well, and I have a few classes in mind. Githyanki Swordmage (Defender), Dragonborn Sorcerer (Striker), Dragonborn Runepriest (Leader). Paladin...I dunno. Rhakos (before he became a Swordmage) just didn't seem to have the right stuff for me. Armor, yeah. Beyond that, he seemed to be missing something.

For some reason, I feel like trying something crazy (assuming I get the full creator, as it's really limited in last version I had) - a Hybrid class. I just feel like I'll break the game if I try that out.

Shall we keep in touch here? Might be easier than constantly tossing around PMs.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:11:51 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:31:07 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm looking forward to the game.  I've got a few ideas for different types of campaigns, which I'll post in the next day or two.  Whatever most players seem interested in is what we'll go with.  I'll try to play around with the two software options, too.

Standard point buy for PCs is fine.  The only things I'd ask folks to keep in mind while making PCs are:

1) If you really want to use something from a 3rd party sourcebook, please run it by me first.
2) No hybrid PCs with multiclass feats.  It's not a big deal at low levels, but can cause weirdness later on.  However, hybrid characters are cool, as are non-hybrids with multiclass feats.
3) You can choose one background if you would like, but please no campaign-world specific (Forgotten Realms, Ebberon, etc.) ones.  

Quote from: Destructor on June 21, 2010, 03:09:52 AM

Shall we keep in touch here? Might be easier than constantly tossing around PMs.

Sounds good.  I don't have access to the forums during the day, but I'll be checking in the evenings.  

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:44:41 AM »

I keep playing clerics of some sort, and I'm looking at that again.   Any character creation issues with that in the possible campaign world?

I'm willing to try an class though, so I'm open to requests.

BTW, I'm watching The Gamers: Dorkness Rising again to get into the mood.  I had never seen it until I found it on Netflix streaming.  It is worth checking out if you like low budget satire.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:17:19 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 21, 2010, 04:31:07 AM

2) No hybrid PCs with multiclass feats.  It's not a big deal at low levels, but can cause weirdness later on.  However, hybrid characters are cool, as are non-hybrids with multiclass feats.

Waitasecond - you mean that you can more or less take a third class if you take a multiclass feat when you're designing a hybrid character? That's...just not right.

And since you're allowing hybrid characters, I guess I'll look more into the many varied possibilities out there, as well as look at everything available period. The class list has grown slightly since last we all played. biggrin

Kadnod - I'm assuming what you mean for #1 is that you'll allow everything that's in the Character Creator without issue, short of multiclassing hybrid characters and campaign-world specific backgrounds, right? I didn't know there were any 3rd party 4th Edition sourcebooks. Shows how out of the loop I am right now.

FYI - I just resubbed to the WotC Insider thingy, so I can double check anybody's characters if they'd like me to. Been wanting to grab all the Dungeon and Dragon magazines anyway. While WotC doesn't give out enough downloads for everyone, Kadnod, I'm more than willing to give one of my installs to you if you'd like. Just let me know.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 09:23:35 AM »

I am a D&D Insider, so I could give out a few installs as well.

Kadnod - I'm assuming what you mean for #1 is that you'll allow everything that's in the Character Creator without issue, short of multiclassing hybrid characters and campaign-world specific backgrounds, right? I didn't know there were any 3rd party 4th Edition sourcebooks. Shows how out of the loop I am right now.

I am guessing this means no classes from things like Dragon Magazine, such as the assassin class.

At this point we have one confirmed striker correct?  I have rolled up numerous characters that I feel I would enjoy, covering striker, defender, controller and leader, although leader so far doesn't look to be one of my favorites.  Anyone have any suggestions at this point on which of those we will need most?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:39:03 AM by Arkon » Logged
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 12:14:59 PM »

Thanks for the offers on the DDI-stuff, but my subscription is current, so I'm good!

Quote from: Arkon on June 21, 2010, 09:23:35 AM

I am a D&D Insider, so I could give out a few installs as well.

I am guessing this means no classes from things like Dragon Magazine, such as the assassin class.

Sorry for not being clearer.  Goodman Games and a few other companies still put out 3rd party books and magazines for the current edition of D&D.  (I actually contributed to this one.)  Stuff from these sources is the sort of thing I wanted to take a closer look at. Everything in the Character Builder is fine to use.  

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 01:14:21 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 21, 2010, 09:23:35 AM

At this point we have one confirmed striker correct?  I have rolled up numerous characters that I feel I would enjoy, covering striker, defender, controller and leader, although leader so far doesn't look to be one of my favorites.  Anyone have any suggestions at this point on which of those we will need most?

My character is a striker, but that doesn't necessarily mean we wouldn't have room for a second.  Monks seem really good for taking on thick groups of enemies, but they lack the punch against individual hardened targets that you can get with a rogue or a ranger.

Quote from: Arnir on June 21, 2010, 04:44:41 AM

I keep playing clerics of some sort, and I'm looking at that again.

Boy, I hope you do!  I think Clerics are great characters: I love the way they can heal and attack in the same round, and the way their attacks give off bonuses to the rest of the party.

And, selfishly, I'm hoping we have a strong healer because my guy isn't terribly well armored, yet some of his best powers rely on deliberately provoking Opportunity Attacks in battle.... Tongue

-Autistic Angel
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »

If you guys want another option, I play by post on another forum. Basically we post our moves and the DM updates the thread. It takes longer to resolve combat, but it is very laid back and doesn't require worrying about people's schedules. If someone doesn't update quickly, everyone has a 'proxy' that can move for them. We use iPlay4E as our character sheets. Just throwing out another fun option.

This is a map of our current encounter:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 01:34:30 PM »

Once I'm done running some boardgames, I was going to run a play by post of some RPG, most likely playing the Rogue Trader (aka Warhammer 40,000) setting.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »

Quote from: Jag on June 21, 2010, 01:22:17 PM

If you guys want another option, I play by post on another forum. Basically we post our moves and the DM updates the thread. It takes longer to resolve combat, but it is very laid back and doesn't require worrying about people's schedules. If someone doesn't update quickly, everyone has a 'proxy' that can move for them. We use iPlay4E as our character sheets. Just throwing out another fun option.

Spoiler for Hiden:

That looks like an interesting option.  I wonder if it would be possible to do a mix of play by post in between the every other week session.

I really enjoyed my time playing a Warden in the last campaign, at least when the insufferable jackass was able to hit the broad side of a barn.

I am also checking out the new Seeker class which is an interesting style of controller.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:08:07 PM by Arkon » Logged
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »

im leaning striker myself (a melee rogue - boring i know! smile)

however ill try and find a defender if the group thinks we need one (do we have anyone leaning defender yet?)
ill also do leader if we need one, but arnir you seem like you might be jumping headfirst into cleric and i really dont think wed need two
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 12:26:13 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on June 21, 2010, 11:02:53 PM

im leaning striker myself (a melee rogue - boring i know! smile)

however ill try and find a defender if the group thinks we need one (do we have anyone leaning defender yet?)
ill also do leader if we need one, but arnir you seem like you might be jumping headfirst into cleric and i really dont think wed need two

If we need a defender, I am very willing to bring back Keothi my Goliath Warden or try out Thalai my Goliath Battlemind.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 12:57:50 AM »

OK gang, here’s what I came up with for possible campaigns:

Chaos Scar – This is a loose campaign currently being published in Dungeon.  The basic idea is a giant meteor hits D&D land and the adventurers explore the valley created by the impact.  A more detailed explanation can be found here:http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/duad/chaosscar

This one is mostly dungeon crawls, from what I've read so far.

Escape from the Empire! – Twenty years ago, the ancient dragon-emperors who ruled your homeland went inexplicably berserk.  Your once mighty civilization was swiftly reduced to a pack of squabbling tribes.  Now a horrible new empire rises from the south.   Can you lead your tribe to safety and eventually unite your people?

This would be a bit of a sandbox campaign, as the group plots where the tribe goes and I write the adventures based around that. 

Gladiator-Slaves of the Spider Queen!- Captured by the drow, you now fight and die for their amusement.  Spill enough blood and steal enough glory and you may win your freedom!  Or will you go all Sparticus on the Underdark and lead a slave revolt? 

This would likely be a combat heavy game at first, perhaps getting more political as the adventurers gain more influence in the arena and get more involved in the schemes of the drow.

If players could post their favorites by this weekend, we'll go with the one that gets the most votes.  I'll be the tie-breaker if necessary. 

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

I've checked out iplay4e before and it looks really handy.  I'll definitely have to give it a closer look.  Play-by-post is definitely something to consider, too, if we end up having trouble meeting up on a regular basis. 

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 01:43:49 AM »

I haven't been following it, but wasn't WotC working on its own online client system or something like that?  Whatever happened to that one?

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 03:10:36 AM »

Here's my first attempt at a Dwarven Battle Cleric, Wilon.
Feedback is appreciated.

Spoiler for Hiden:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Wilon, level 1
Dwarf, Cleric
Build: Battle Cleric

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 10 Will: 16
HP: 28 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +5, Diplomacy +6, Insight +9, Heal +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Arcana, Bluff +1, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +4, History, Intimidate +1, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth -1, Streetwise +1, Thievery -1, Athletics

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Combat Medic

POWERS
Channel Divinity: Turn Undead
Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric at-will 1: Sonnlinor's Hammer
Cleric encounter 1: Vengeful Flare
Cleric daily 1: Curse of Misfortune

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Chainmail, Warhammer, Holy Symbol, Oil (1 pint) (2), Sanctified Incense (Religion), Sunrod (2), Waterskin, Flask (empty) (5)
RITUALS
Gentle Repose
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »

Kadnod, my personal preference for the campaign would be in the following order, however all of them sound like they would be fun:

Escape from the Empire
Gladiator-Slaves
Chaos Scar

That said, reading up on Chaos Scar, it sounds neat in that each play session would almost be like a mini-campaign.

I will post up some of my characters tonight for feedback.  I am still up in the air about the type of character, although I have ruled out leader.  We seem to have enough strikers so it looks like I am going to either be a controller or a defender.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 02:19:32 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 22, 2010, 01:01:00 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I've checked out iplay4e before and it looks really handy.  I'll definitely have to give it a closer look.  Play-by-post is definitely something to consider, too, if we end up having trouble meeting up on a regular basis.  

The great thing about iPlay4E is that you can easily import/export your builds from the official character builder, so no need to manually create or update character sheets.

We have our entire campaign uploaded, so by clicking on the campaign button, I can see all the other characters and their current status. The DM updates it for us. It is also fully functional on Android phones!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:21:19 PM by Jag » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 22, 2010, 12:57:50 AM

OK gang, here’s what I came up with for possible campaigns:

"Escape from the Empire" and "Chaos Scar" sound the best to me, but like Arkon, I'd be happy to play any of them!  I think combat's always been our strong suit because we're pretty good about keeping things moving.  I like the between-encounter stuff too, though: it's good to know *why* we're fighting all these guys and what we're working towards.

-Autistic Angel
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »

I'm happy with any of the campaigns, but I do like a lot of story.  I have never liked the "group of mercenaries" going around killing things just for money.  That's fine, but not in isolation and not for good characters in many cases.  I wont to role play, not just hack and slash.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »

If you decide to go back to FG2, I can hunt up the video's I used to teach me how to use it from the GM's side, they weren't that long but there were other problems that we overcame with importing the rulesets and 4e books.  I saved all my folders and stuff from our game last year so I have most of that stuff even though I don't remember how we added in content that was missing, parsing tools and stuff like that were involved.  The 4e ruleset itself was also something that had to be tracked down and installed since FG couldn't legally host it themselves or create one of their own.  I think all the info was found at fouruglymonsters.

Combining FG2 with an expensive program like Campaign Cartographer and using Gimp as well worked really well for someone with the time and desire to build the adventure by those means.  We could have got by without the CC3 maps I built for the lvl 1 adventure stuff we did complete but preparing all that stuff was kind of fun, just wish I had set up a video recorder behind me to show my future self what the hell I did.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »

Quote from: Rich on June 22, 2010, 06:06:34 PM

If you decide to go back to FG2, I can hunt up the video's I used to teach me how to use it from the GM's side, they weren't that long but there were other problems that we overcame with importing the rulesets and 4e books.  I saved all my folders and stuff from our game last year so I have most of that stuff even though I don't remember how we added in content that was missing, parsing tools and stuff like that were involved.  The 4e ruleset itself was also something that had to be tracked down and installed since FG couldn't legally host it themselves or create one of their own.  I think all the info was found at fouruglymonsters.

Combining FG2 with an expensive program like Campaign Cartographer and using Gimp as well worked really well for someone with the time and desire to build the adventure by those means.  We could have got by without the CC3 maps I built for the lvl 1 adventure stuff we did complete but preparing all that stuff was kind of fun, just wish I had set up a video recorder behind me to show my future self what the hell I did.

One thing I liked about MapTool was that it seemed like once CrayolaSmoker typed in our character stats, he was able to drop in pre-made macros from the community to automate our powers.  He still had to make the maps, but the ruleset was basically cut-and-paste as needed.

I was really, really impressed by all the work CrayolaSmoker and Rich put into crafting our sessions! thumbsup  Personally, though: all I *really* need is voice chat, a terrain map with tokens, and the ability to "roll" a d20.  That's all they have in real pen-and-paper editions, and I'd rather have our DM free to think up cool environmental features and skill challenges and storylines than mired trying to learn Java scripting. Tongue

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 09:53:12 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 22, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

I was really, really impressed by all the work CrayolaSmoker and Rich put into crafting our sessions! thumbsup  Personally, though: all I *really* need is voice chat, a terrain map with tokens, and the ability to "roll" a d20.  That's all they have in real pen-and-paper editions, and I'd rather have our DM free to think up cool environmental features and skill challenges and storylines than mired trying to learn Java scripting. Tongue

-Autistic Angel

After poking through how all the macros and such worked with FG2, I was really impressed in all the time both of them put into DMing us. Definitely helped the experience. Oh, and yes, Rich, last year the 4E stuff was not available to import into FG2 due to Wizard's legal team. Couldn't buy it anywhere either. Thankfully we got lucky and 'found' it somewhere.

And I agree with AA - give me voice chat, a terrain map with some kind of tokens, and some way to toss a d20 around (either 'real' like with FG, or virtually via a button push), and I'm all set.

Looking back over the recent posts, it looks like we have two Strikers, a Leader, and a Defender all possibly lined up. I really need to get in gear and figure out some characters.

Finally - kadnod, I'd prefer Chaos Scar and Escape from the Empire out of the ones listed. I just can't figure out which one I'd like more.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 22, 2010, 09:53:12 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 22, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

-Autistic Angel

After poking through how all the macros and such worked with FG2, I was really impressed in all the time both of them put into DMing us. Definitely helped the experience. Oh, and yes, Rich, last year the 4E stuff was not available to import into FG2 due to Wizard's legal team. Couldn't buy it anywhere either. Thankfully we got lucky and 'found' it somewhere.

And I agree with AA - give me voice chat, a terrain map with some kind of tokens, and some way to toss a d20 around (either 'real' like with FG, or virtually via a button push), and I'm all set.

Looking back over the recent posts, it looks like we have two Strikers, a Leader, and a Defender all possibly lined up. I really need to get in gear and figure out some characters.

Finally - kadnod, I'd prefer Chaos Scar and Escape from the Empire out of the ones listed. I just can't figure out which one I'd like more.

Destructor, if you want to go defender, I am also rolling a controller that I think will be a lot of fun.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 10:50:10 PM »

Here are three characters I am most considering playing:

Minotaur Seeker (Primal Controller)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Minron, level 1
Minotaur, Seeker
Build: Protecting Seeker
Seeker's Bond: Spiritbond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

AC: 15 Fort: 13 Reflex: 11 Will: 16
HP: 23 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +12, Insight +10, Athletics +8, Perception +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance, Heal +5, History, Intimidate -1, Religion, Stealth, Streetwise -1, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Initiative

POWERS
Seeker at-will 1: Guardian Harrier
Seeker at-will 1: Biting Swarm
Seeker encounter 1: Serpent Arrow
Seeker daily 1: Spirit Rider

ITEMS
Javelin, Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit

Keothi - Goliath Warden (Primal Defender)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Keothi, level 1
Goliath, Warden
Build: Storm Warden
Guardian Might: Stormheart

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 12
HP: 33 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +7, Perception +5, Endurance +5, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -3, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering, Heal, History, Insight, Intimidate -1, Religion, Stealth -3, Streetwise -1, Thievery -3

FEATS
Level 1: Crushing Guardian

POWERS
Warden at-will 1: Tempest Assault
Warden at-will 1: Thorn Strike
Warden encounter 1: Gale Strike
Warden daily 1: Form of Mountain's Thunder

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Heavy Shield, Adventurer's Kit, Warhammer

Thalai - Goliath Battlemind (Psionic Defender)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Thalai, level 1
Goliath, Battlemind
Build: Quick Battlemind
Psionic Study: Speed of Thought

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 20, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 14.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 15
HP: 35 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +7, Insight +5, Athletics +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -2, Arcana -1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering, Endurance +3, Heal, History -1, Nature +2, Perception, Religion -1, Stealth -2, Streetwise +2, Thievery -2

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Speed of Thought

POWERS
Battlemind at-will 1: Demon Dance
Battlemind at-will 1: Whirling Defense
Battlemind daily 1: Steel Unity Strike

ITEMS
Scale Armor, Heavy Shield, Warhammer
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:07:03 AM by Arkon » Logged
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 12:59:24 AM »

my campaign choices would be Empire, Chaos, Gladiator, with Empire as 1

also i will add in that i DO like unique, interesting and carefully crafted skill challenges!  i think theyre hard to "do right" and get ignored a lot (at least in my 4e experience so far) but i promise i wont bite if you to incorporate a few!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 03:28:12 AM »

Thanks for casting votes so quickly, folks.  Seems like Empire! is in the lead, so lets go with that.  I'll start fleshing out the setting and will hopefully have something a bit more detailed posted by the weekend.

The character ideas seem great so far.  For those still deciding, I wouldn't sweat trying to fill out all the party combat roles, as I can always throw in a companion NPC if the party ends up particularly short in some area.  Just play whatever interests you the most and I'm sure it'll work out fine.  

Quote from: AA
and I'd rather have our DM free to think up cool environmental features and skill challenges and storylines than mired trying to learn Java scripting.

Ha! That's good to hear.  If I have to learn much Java scripting, it'll be a long, long time before we're up and running.   icon_biggrin

I did have a chance to fool around a little bit with MapTool and Fantasy Grounds.  I'm still trying to decide which one to go with.  FG is definitely slicker, but Maptools seems like it would be sufficient, too.   Anyone have any additional thoughts on software choice?  

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 04:08:48 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 23, 2010, 03:28:12 AM

I did have a chance to fool around a little bit with MapTool and Fantasy Grounds.  I'm still trying to decide which one to go with.  FG is definitely slicker, but Maptools seems like it would be sufficient, too.   Anyone have any additional thoughts on software choice?  

FG is slicker by far, but also required a lot more work to set everything up. And I know that the macro set that made everything a ton easier (for all the powers) is woefully out of date. And it's also not free (but I believe I saw something about our former GM giving you the code so you can use it). Maybe I'll poke around in Google and see if I can find the macro stuff again.

Maptools (from a year ago, or was it 2) worked well enough, but it started being a serious bandwith hog after playing a few hours. If memory served, we saw some serious lag late in our game days (as in upwards of a minute or two). But it was also free.

Must find time to figure out what characters I want to play...

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on June 23, 2010, 12:59:24 AM

also i will add in that i DO like unique, interesting and carefully crafted skill challenges!  i think theyre hard to "do right" and get ignored a lot (at least in my 4e experience so far) but i promise i wont bite if you to incorporate a few!

Yeah!  In the Robot Chicken D&D video podcasts, the DM had two separate combat encounters with skill challenges built right into them.  In one, there were statues and a flamethrower monster they could choose to fight or try to disable through Arcana or Thievery, and an ice-covered exit they could work on melting or shattering with brute force.  I liked how it gave everyone more decisions to make, it upped the tension when they were on the brink of success or failure, and they wound up getting some neat extra stuff if they won.

-Autistic Angel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 23, 2010, 03:28:12 AM

Once you learn FG and get everything set up, it makes playing very easy.  I really liked using it, but am open to whatever ends up being the easiest for you Kadnod.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »

One thing I did like about FG was that I had more confidence that I had all of my modifiers set up properly for the die rolls, etc.  Maptools was fine with me, but as stated the lag got horrific and killed the sessions for me near the end.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »

Anyone have any suggestions on the three builds I posted?  I am still really torn as to which one to play.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 23, 2010, 05:48:28 PM

Anyone have any suggestions on the three builds I posted?  I am still really torn as to which one to play.

How would your rank them in terms of story or just hack n' slash?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 23, 2010, 05:58:26 PM

I have always been very fond of nature/primal characters.  Because of that, both the Seeker and Keothi, my warden would be characters I could see being more than just hack and slash.  I can see motivations behind both of them for adventuring.  From a skills perspective, both Keothi and my Seeker dabble in the same skills for the most part.

The battlemind character...I really haven't thought up any sort of story for him, to be honest he was built more as a combat machine to play around with the new psionic stuff.  He is pretty limited to being really good at killing/soaking damage and little else.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 23, 2010, 06:56:48 PM

Quote from: Arnir on June 23, 2010, 05:58:26 PM

I have always been very fond of nature/primal characters.  Because of that, both the Seeker and Keothi, my warden would be characters I could see being more than just hack and slash.  I can see motivations behind both of them for adventuring.  From a skills perspective, both Keothi and my Seeker dabble in the same skills for the most part.

The battlemind character...I really haven't thought up any sort of story for him, to be honest he was built more as a combat machine to play around with the new psionic stuff.  He is pretty limited to being really good at killing/soaking damage and little else.

It's always a good thing to have a good combat character.  I think as long as we have two characters who can handle the story side, we should be good.  I would be interested in seeing how the psionics go.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »

Arkon - Play the Battlemind!  I also would love to hear how the psionics work out in 4e.  And if you guys do aar's - I can at least read all about it.   icon_biggrin

(of course, not being a Halfling will gimp you beyond belief, as we ALL know halflings are the best race for every class in the entire game... but other than that - you should have tons of fun!)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »

Well, personally, for some reason I'm looking at being a Controller this time around. Wizard to be exact. Reminds of the Sorcerer I 'ran' before, but I can do more to the battlefield than just deal damage.

Plus, after digging through all of the available powers, I've realized I can have all kinds of story based fun with Cantrips. biggrin

Yeah, it's not exactly one of the 'new' classes, but having fun in the end counts for a lot. Plus it'll cover the Arcana and History parts of things. Build coming sooner or later.

I also look forward to see how Psionics work in 4E, so it'll cover that and our Defender role with your Battlemind. That said - I'll toss our a few builds as well myself and see what best sticks with the group.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »

I will dig a bit more into the Battlemind class and see if I can't tweak the build a bit.  My main concern is trying to learn the new mechanics that psionics entails.  I may also tweak his race and go with something other than Goliath.

One thing I will have to change is none of his at-will powers can be used as a basic melee attack, so for Attacks of Opportunity he will miss constantly due to the low strength score, unless I switch out his feats to take the feat that would let me use his constitution score instead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: