http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 08:27:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] Official GT Campaign 3: No Business Like Gnome Business  (Read 73918 times)
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 17, 2013, 02:02:29 AM »

OK, just fired off the epilogue-related PMs!  I'm going to try to write this up next weekend, so if anyone wants to get back to me with input, please do so via PM by 5/25.  I'm also happy to answer any other questions you may have had about the game once the epilogue is written up, so please feel free to send those as well. 

I also wanted to say I had a hella good time DMing the game!  Thanks for asking me to do it & thanks for making things so fun!   

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 29, 2013, 04:44:52 AM »

Campaign Epilogue!

Spoiler for Hiden:
The old woman trudged wearily through the slushy streets on her way to the temple.  “I’ll say one thing for the Empire,” she sighed, “they always kept the streets clear.”  It had been a year since the natives chased the Prepotency from Scaleport and as the Legions fled, certain comforts she’d grown quite accustomed to fled with them.  Streets were dirtier, skilled craftsmen were hard to find. And the food!  If it couldn’t be grown within a league of the city, it might as well not exist.  Gods, she missed those little gredberry pastries from back home.  

At first, she worried for her safety in the newly occupied city.  What would these barbarians do to a poor old weaver from Querix-Ra?  She’d lost many a friend to rampaging  beastmen shortly after the locals’ initial assault on the city, but after the new rulers kicked out the worst of the lot and repelled the Legion’s counterattack, things had calmed down quickly.    For weeks, she waited in fear for the day when these newly minted kings would round up citizens of the Empire and throw them out into the cold fields beyond the city walls.  Perhaps even over the city walls. But that day never came.  No one came to throw her out of her humble home.  No one came to seize her meager property.  Hells, after a few days, some elfish person, nearly as scared as she was, came knocking at her door, bearing food and promises of safety.  

She thought back on how quickly this first year of independence had passed.  Within weeks after the battle’s end, a sense of calm settled over the city.  Old residents helped acclimate new arrivals to city life.  New arrivals helped old residents to restore buildings damaged in the sieges.  She’d been able to open up her old stall less than a month after the battles had ended. And though she certainly had her complaints about life outside the Empire, this new life had its upsides as well.  No bronze-clad thugs harassing folks just because they didn’t like their looks.  No zealots screeching about penance, punishment and conquest in every square.  “And no more of those poor wyrmlings in chains,” she said to no one in particular as she spied a young dragonborn woman hurrying eagerly through the snow.  No doubt she was heading towards the Celebration as well.

Yes, things had settled down in Scaleport quite nicely, she thought as she caught site of the New Temple.  At its heart, it was really a very old temple, dating back to when Old Osradin was young.  But if the natives wanted to pretend that the central building was never devoted to Tiamat or Bane, who was she to argue?  It certainly did seem like madness to her, having one complex devoted to so many gods.  Was there really anyone who paid fealty to The Platinum Dragon, The Free Lady and The Raven Queen equally in their hearts?  Judging from the crowd out front, she guessed some actually might, but it still seemed like lunacy to her.  Not that she really minded, though.  All religion had always seemed a bit insane to her.  

At she began to lose her footing on an unnoticed patch of ice, she wondered if there was such a thing as internal blasphemy.  Time slowed as she careened towards the slick stone street.  Just as she was about to strike the ground, the weaver felt a grip of steel steadying her by the shoulder.  She looked up.  Then up some more.  Finally, her eyes met those of the grotesque beastman that had saved her from embarrassment, injury or worse.

“Steady!  Steady old grayhair!” bellowed the fat minotaur, half naked and seemingly unbothered by the cold.  “We can’t have the streets clogged with the snow and the elderly both!  Ha!”  

For several uncomfortable moments, the beast man guffawed loudly at his own joke, then slowed and finally stopped once he realized the frail human didn’t seem to appreciate his brand of humor.  Ah well, he thought, the world was sadly filled with the unsophisticated.

“The name is Suhvob, ma’am,” he said as he roughly brushed some snow off the old woman’s frail shoulders.   “Perhaps you’ve heard of me!  I’m one of the famous Giantslayers, after all!”  

“Eh, thank you.  I’m Fiylan Weaver.  Thank you, you can stop now,” she replied as she gently pulled his hand from her shoulders.  “Suhvob?  I know about the wizard and the gith and the holy warriors.  Say, you’re not that Haversham fellow, are you?”

“Winnish?”  he roared incredulously.  “She...you think I’m Winnish!  Hellfire!  Captain Winnish of the Shadow Sphinx?  Now that is funny.  Nobody’s seen him since him and all those lil’ halflings headed out to sea!  Wish that I’d gone with ‘em.  Hear he’s givin’ the Legions wot for!  Ha! ”  

“Yes, yes,” she responded.  “Well, as long as he doesn’t bring trouble back upon our heads, I suppose they may deserve it.”

“May deserve it?  May deserve it!  Of course they deserve it!  A thousand times worse, they deserve!” he shouted angrily.  Then he noticed the growing fear in the old woman’s eyes.

“Err, maybe tonight’s not the night for politics, aye?” continued a calmer Suhvob in a much softer tone.  “You need a lift to the Celebration?”  

“A lift, what? What!” She cried out as the minotaur gently lifted her over his horns and sat her upon his burly shoulders.  

“Comfortable up there, grayhair?” he asked, not truly waiting for a response.  “Good then!  Off we go!  Ha!”

As she steadied herself upon the back of the beast, Fiylan once more considered what a strange year it had been.  But they arrived at the Celebration safely, and though Suhvob's smell left something to be desired, she had to admit her view of the proceedings was quite good.  

The crowd was festive, both native and newcomer.  Burly goliaths told tales of life in the mountains, dodging dragons and hunting ghouls, as awestruck townsfolk kept the drinks flowing.  Apprentice wizards worked mysterious machines powered by captured lightning.   An inebriated young woman loudly proclaimed that her new master had taught her to run up walls, then proceed to prove it at the Southgate as several grey-cloaked guardsmen tried to calm her down.  Strange crystal men entertained with illusory scenes of bizarre lands far beyond those of mortal men while an elvish dancer sang a haunting song of the Feywild.  Chanting priests sought converts as a green-haired gnomish woman snuck up on Suhvob, asked him if he had heard the word of Avandra, then laughed and disappeared into the crowd.

Speaking from the tallest tower of the New Temple, Ryla the Red gave a stirring speech, congratulating the city on a year of peace and praising the brave heroes gathered about her.  Brave Kriv.  Wise Bilon.  Learned Jett.  The deadly Monk.  Even the missing Captain Winnish.   Suhvob cursed loudly as he realized he was not going to be mentioned, but after a brief moment filled with glares and awkward silence, Ryla continued and spoke of the future.  All would be free in Scaleport.  She eagerly looked forward to next month’s elections, joking that being unemployed might be a pleasant change of pace.  The path of Empire would be rejected, though assistance would be provided to those wishing to restore the other cities of Tiam-Krey.  Peace would be paramount.  “But woe be to any tyrant, any fiend who would seek to grasp these lands!  They shall find them forever beyond their reach!  And should they threaten you, Free Citizens of Scaleport, they shall learn once more what folly it is to threaten a land of heroes!”

As the crowd cheered, Fiylan once more considered all the things Scaleport had lost since the Empire had gone.  Then smiled proudly at what it had gained.    

(Edit for NPC name error!)

As for the "whatever happened to?" questions, folks wanted to put resources into finding out what was up with the shardmind and the dragons.  I'd write that up now, but I am totally sleepy! Will try to have that up in a few days. Thanks!  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:27:22 AM by kadnod » Logged

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 03, 2013, 02:32:34 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on May 29, 2013, 04:44:52 AM

As for the "whatever happened to?" questions, folks wanted to put resources into finding out what was up with the shardmind and the dragons.  I'd write that up now, but I am totally sleepy! Will try to have that up in a few days. Thanks!  

Spoiler for Hiden:
Some months after the defense of Scaleport, a band of nearly 100 weary humans and hobgoblins requested sanctuary in the city.  Though clearly former Legionnaires, their leader, a tiefling warlock named Zesharhi claims they are rebels.  Swearing they were followers of Thraco, the fallen Legate you freed just before he was slain at the Battle of Misthome, the newcomers eventually win your trust and give you much information about the Prepotency.  Zeshari in particular is exceptionally helpful and gives you a tome written by a powerful heretic he once pursued back when he was a loyal Centurion.   Though much of it discusses the author’s repulsive personal history and how best to summon certain unpleasant creatures, it does address both the shardmind who serve the Prepotency and the madness of the dragons. 

On the shardmind:
The Crystal men called the Opti serve the Emperor because he has agreed to help them locate others of their kind and pieces of the shattered world that birthed them, known in scholarly circles as The Living Gate.  Though some theorize that should this world be restored, it would close a hole in reality that leads to a universe of nightmares called the Far Realm.  Home of such monstrosities as beholders, illithid and the aboleths, denying these aberrants access to the Mortal World would certainly be a worthy goal.  However, there are several flaws in the logic of the Opti when it comes to this matter.

Firstly, reassembling the Gate in the manner proposed by the Opti may be as to attempting to reassemble an aquarium after it has been thrown into the sea and dashed against a rock.  Some pieces of have doubtless been irrevocably lost, some of its inhabitants have long since swam away and the water originally within has been irreversibly absorbed into the sea .   While it appears that the Opti do have a method of causing pieces of The Gate to combine, they are simply hoping that should they combine enough pieces, something will be created equal to that of the original Gate whole and entire.  Could this be true or have the Opti wasted their time, searching the shores for a few stray shards of glass that they can glue together at random, hoping that the aquarium will soon be whole once more?

Secondly, the Opti assert the hole caused by the destruction of The Living Gate is the only way the nightmares of The Far Realm can enter our World.  This too may be a fool’s hope.  Deep beneath the surface of the World, many aberants call the Underdark their home.  The Opti claim these monstrosities simply crawled ever downworld after their arrival on this plane, to the place in our home that most closely resembled their own.  But does this hold up to scrutiny?  The Gate existed in the Astral Plane.  That place was home to a dozen realms of horror, even before The Gate’s destruction.  Would not the creatures of The Far Realm settle their?  Or do so many creep and skulk in the Underdark because there too lie entrances to their blashphemous home.  Be they created by drow or the grey dwarves,  the result of the thrashings of the Tortured God Torog  or simply places where reality naturally frays, I believe there must be other Gates in the deep places of the World. 

Finally, in order for the Opti to achieve their goals, they must hunt their brothers that do not share their philosophies.  Should not their wayward brothers be apprehended and absorbed, the Opti claim, The Gate may never be whole.  Yet many of these so-called heretics are powerful psychics in their own right.  Most are repulsed by the creatures of The Far Realm and do much to oppose them wherever they can be found.  What is worth more to the World?  A legion of immortal, psionic warriors who would defend it against foul beasts that feast, sometimes literally, on the minds of mortal men? Or a cult of zealots who hunt their brothers today in the name of some unknown better tomorrow?  I know which I would choose, but then of course, I may not be the most unbiased party.

-Mir the Mad, Last Servant of Atropus

On the dragons:

What drove the Old Lords mad?  Can any dragon truly be considered sane by Mortal standards?  Likely not, but they were at least predictable before the troubles started.   Food, wealth, power.  These are the things even the most pleasant of the Old Lords obsessed over.  And though these may sound similar to the goals many mortals hold most high, they mean infinitely different things to dragons.  Well, perhaps not food. They seem to hunger just as we do, though on an obviously greater scale and for much more exotic fare.  But wealth?  Wealth is literally its own goal to a dragon.  They care not what their gold or gems can be used to buy.  They want it because it as to the warmth of the sun or the love one’s children to a dragon.  And power?  They need it because they inherently need to destroy something.  But what?  And why would the gods fill such magnificent creatures with such avarice and rage? 

It is in these questions where I believe the answer to the madness of the dragons lies.  I believe the gods instilled the dragons with their greed and hate for a purpose.  At the dawn of time, when the gods battled the elemental kings known as the Primordials, the dragons were the gods’ greatest weapons.  But early in this Dawn War, many dragons turned against their creators and joined the elemental armies of their enemies or even abandoned the war entirely.   These early defections were never repeated.  Though many a scholar of Old Osradin asserted that the remaining loyalist wyrms were all strong and honorable creatures, I believe this to be a false appeal to their masters’ vanity.   We know the Dawn War was nearly lost on many an occasion.  We know that servants of both sides, and even some gods and primordials themselves, turned on their allies throughout the conflict.   But never another dragon.   Why?

After much research and several fruitful consultations with wyrms both living and dead, I believe I have learned the truth.  The gods, in their wisdom, removed the piece of the dragons’ free will that would have allowed them to refuse their predivined role in the Dawn War again.   There is a signal that the gods could give, one that would send their servants on a warpath against their enemies, even without the wyrms’ consent.  One that would bring the worst of their greed and anger to the forefront of their mind, making surrender and peace unimaginable. 

What proof have I?  Sadly little.  But there are certainly artifacts that control dragons, most notably the Orbs of Dragonkind.  Might they make use of this divine signal?  And why have the dragons that have become separated from the gods, such as those who have abandoned their natural bodies for mechanical, elemental or undead forms, retained their sanity?  Such as they could be called sane in the first place, at any rate.   

Though my theory is certainly in its infancy, I hope to find more subjects to consult soon.   I’ve had several sharp blades and many strong chains constructed for just such a purpose.

-Mir the Mad, Last Servant of Atropus

And they all lived happily ever after.  Until Kavouri came back.  And the giants.  And the dragons.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2083 on: June 03, 2013, 06:39:56 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 03, 2013, 02:32:34 AM

And they all lived happily ever after.  Until Kavouri came back.  And the giants.  And the dragons.

saywhat eek crybaby

So, now I'm curious - any points where we the players really threw you off for a loop, Kadnod? Where we really messed up whatever it was you had planned?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 04, 2013, 02:21:16 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 03, 2013, 06:39:56 AM

So, now I'm curious - any points where we the players really threw you off for a loop, Kadnod? Where we really messed up whatever it was you had planned?

There were lots of times where I wasn't sure what you all would do next, but I can think of two times in particular the party took things in a very different direction than I had anticipated.  The first time was when the group decided to help Boulder.  I had thought that would be a one encounter deal, where the group would either kill Boulder and take his cows for the tribe or they'd try to buy them.  I forget why I even had a backstory for the giant.  Maybe to explain why he was relatively friendly? At any rate, that you guys went after the frost giant that had been slapping him around was unexpected, particularly since you were all pretty low level, and it lead to one of my favorite battles of the campaign. 

The biggest surprise for me, though, was when you sent the dragon Tegarrus to destroy Tiam-Krey.  First, I was surprised you even allied with him.  Those Steelspike dwarves Rangrim was trying to track down were basically in the same prison as Tegarrus, but you all left before you encountered them!  Then, I figured you'd use the dragon to attack Scaleport, but sicking hm on Tiam-Krey took me by surprise. I had a lot of crap written up about Tiam-Krey, but instead you just destroyed the whole city!  More than anything else, that move changed up the campaign.   

I was also really surprised the Deck of Many Things never got used.  And you guys also bypassed a wave of killer modrons by diplomacizing an NPC I thought you might fight!  But those were more side-quest type deals.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: June 04, 2013, 08:53:24 PM »

So was there any chance of us actually saving Thraco?  And what was up with him, why did it seem like we thought he had been polymorphed?

And care to share what would have happened if SaRelka had survived?

Oh and speaking of the dwarves, where they actually mad as the dragon insisted?
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:31 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 04, 2013, 08:53:24 PM

So was there any chance of us actually saving Thraco?  

Oh, yeah.  I believe the assassin that got him was just a slightly reskinned/restatted solo from one of the Free Rpg day things Wizards gave out that year.  It totally wasn't an attempt to screw you guys over or anything. The fight was actually pretty close, too.  The assassin didn't run because I didn't want a TPK.  She ran because she killed her target, was really beat up & still faced a few opponents with magical abilities of unknown capabilities.  

The dude that brought the book about the shardmind and dragons in the post above?  He's in my notes from way back when Thraco was introduced, because I thought the most likely turn of events would be that you guys would end up teaming up with Thraco, then joining up with the remnants of his legion.  

And what was up with him, why did it seem like we thought he had been polymorphed?

That was basically a Prepotency culture thing, that in retrospect, I probably could've ditched entirely.  I had this idea that all the hobgoblins, bugbears, goblins and barghests were all really the same species.  Everybody started out as hobgoblins, but if you committed some sort of crime, part of your punishment would be that you would get magicked into one of the subspecies.  For example, if you were convicted of something violent that didn't warrant execution, the priests of Bane would magic you into goblin so you'd be small and weak in addition to whatever else the punishment was.  Thraco, who was a pretty suave leader type falsely convicted of cowardice, got magicked into a brutish bugbear.  Legate Suun pushed for this particular punishment, as he saw Thraco as a rival and thought folks would be less likely to follow someone who is basically a furry ogre.  Thraco was on his way to get thrown into a suicide squad when the Mist accidentally freed him when they were attacking the Prepotency prisoner convoy.  

Dumb bonus fact:   Thraco was initially based on real life Roman commander, Maximinius Thrax.  

And care to share what would have happened if SaRelka had survived?

Probably not much more than a couple of bonus demony-related feats, unless you guys decided to focus on rooting out the Jubilex cult.  I had some notes on where they were hiding, what they were up to, etc., but it was pretty bare bones.  

Oh and speaking of the dwarves, where they actually mad as the dragon insisted?

Port Silver was a rough place.  I figured if you could have convinced the folks trapped there to serve you, they basically would have been your Sardaukar.

Dumb bonus fact part 2:  I can't believe nobody called bullshit on Kiln the Elf.  

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 17, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »

Hmm figured I'd check out the site and can't wait to go through this thread + PMs

Wish me luck
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 17, 2013, 11:40:34 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 17, 2013, 11:27:02 PM

Hmm figured I'd check out the site and can't wait to go through this thread + PMs

Wish me luck

Ha!  Good luck!

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: