http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:22:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] GT FR Adventure  (Read 18315 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »

I won't be home for another few hours, but when I do get home I will fire up FG and get connected in.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »

4e skin for FG2

4e skin

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2009, 07:26:59 PM »

Ok because Destructor and I didn't spend 4 weeks parsing our own books to use with FG, instead Destructor found the books already converted, we have run into a small snag.  When you parse the files you choose if you want them to be sharable or not when players connect to the server, the person who made these did not choose that option so there is no way for you to get the books by just logging into the server no matter what boxes I check in FG.  YOU STILL WILL GET THE 4E RULESET by logging into the server.  To load the books you'll have to download them separate and copy them to the correct folder, I'll walk people through this via Ventrilo, it's actually faster to do it this way.

Character portraits are another matter, I haven't found a way to host these files so that you can add them to the folder for more choices, yet.

PS3 - PTCynic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »

Quote from: Rich on July 25, 2009, 07:26:59 PM

Character portraits are another matter, I haven't found a way to host these files so that you can add them to the folder for more choices, yet.

Do they just need to be loaded into the Portraits folder of the campaign you're running (or something of the sort)? Or is there a way to pick and upload a file while we're still playing?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »

Sorry I blinked out so abruptly last night.  After Ventrillo started cutting out, Fantasy Grounds started suffering moments of extreme lag where the whole interface would stop responding for several seconds.  I finally had to kill it in the Task Manager, and by that time, the session was just about over.

(Also, I was slow making my character before the game so I had to wait until afterward to go running.  Sitting still for three and four hours makes me pretty antsy, so by the time we finished, I itching to get moving.)

The next time we log in, I need to remember to take away the +1 AC and +1 Reflex I got from Razorclaw shifting, and add an Action Point for finishing our second encounter (assuming that was the end!) Tongue

Otherwise, I thought the game went very well.  It took some time to learn the interface, but getting the basics down helped the turns to go quickly and I liked how the rolls appearing the chat window made combat easy to follow. thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »

Yeah.. it was very easy to follow... and seeing as I missed horribly on almost every roll, it was easy to predict what would happen on my turn!

icon_smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2009, 06:02:40 PM »

Stupid dice rolls. They're gonna get us killed.

I still like Rich's suggestion - did you try changing the color of the dice yet to see if that helps? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 26, 2009, 06:02:40 PM

Stupid dice rolls. They're gonna get us killed.

I still like Rich's suggestion - did you try changing the color of the dice yet to see if that helps? biggrin

I think that is about the only thing I didn't try...
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2009, 03:28:20 AM »

Wizard Needs Food

I think we should open up some discussion on how we can work on improving immersion and speed of play.

I know half of the slowness is figuring out rules and what it is each of you and the monsters for that matter actually do, combined with the need to learn a new piece of software each of the last 2 weeks it had to have doubled the time it should have taken, that said it was still way too long.  I know I was struggling with having to take over the Ranger and run the monsters until they used up their special attacks and were thinned out some then it was much easier.  I need more prep time with the monsters and the adventure and I hope to have that this week, I'm also going to work on creating my own version of a DM screen with tables and info from the books so I won't spend so much time searching on what to do.

I'm going to try to get Lockdown into the game for next Saturday, if you read this Lockdown post if you still want in.

As the DM, the adventure gives me a monster tactics section to point me in the right direction of what the monsters will do, combined with your marking of them a lot of what I do is decided for me I just have to know how to actually do that stuff.  My first suggestion for the players would be to use more free actions in character to communicate, if you need combat advantage to help with a power try to say something as a free action like "Rhakos, let's fence this guy in" or something, or when it isn't your turn use the chat feature to talk to each other and plan your next turn.  Same thing can be said for healing, I saw AA post in the chat that Felpurr needs some help, I think the players need to get it across to the cleric when they get hit if they'll need his help or not when his turn comes up so that he doesn't have to ask who needs what each turn.  There is some of this planning ahead going on but more would speed up the time it takes for each turn.

I also think when you use a power that benefits another player to just call the shot instead of asking who would like the benefit, use your instincts and just tell the DM that you've given a +1 to hit or whatever to yourself and Keothi until the end of your next turn.  It might be a mistake but try to think like your character is on the battlefield and has to make that judgment and doesn't have the luxury of talking it over first.  That would cut down on time and help me by telling me how long the effect lasts so I'm not opening your character sheet and looking up the power to see what the effect is and when it expires, better yet say it and if the software lets you go ahead and apply it to the party members effected. Stuff like that eats up time and the next player is waiting on me to do all the bookkeeping. I think this will fix itself as we play a few more sessions.

Another thing I'd like us to get into more in the future is a little more use of flavor text in your actions to up the immersion so we don't have such a dry game of "I use my "name of at-will attack here" and try to hit the kobold"  This is something that I think once we start trying to work in will get easier to do and create more atmosphere and immersion and make the encounters feel less like giant chess games. I'm not saying you should try to be creative every turn to describe your actions on the battlefield but some could help out.  If I can study your powers a bit more during the week leading up to the session, which shouldn't be hard to do while I'm at work, you guys can start to voice your attacks and just click on the powers. for example Felpurr could just say "I transform and ..." I should know as the DM that Felpurr just triggered the druids minor action Wild Shape and then did something. or Felpurr could say "I call forth some icy winds and direct them at...." in time I would know that the Druid just used Chill Wind and hopefully would either look for the arrow pointing to the target square or I would be good enough to ask where AA wanted to direct that attack.  When everyone starts getting larger collections of powers just help me out by double clicking on the power so its description pops up in the chat window.

For example if I had known more about AA's Storm Spike power I would have known that it's flavor text says "A bolt of lightning spears your foe and charges the air around it"  I wouldn't have had to wonder like I did what the monster would do, if it would know to move or not.  The flavor text pretty much points out that the air in that area is electrically charged and he should probably move if he can but I didn't go over your guys powers well enough to know what exactly you guys can do to the monsters and how I should have them react should you do something.

Then again if you guys aren't interested in using a flavor text style of gameplay and want to approach the game in more of a board game/strategy game type of fashion I can go with that, I just don't want people falling asleep while waiting on their turn. smile

Long story short I've got some work to do as a DM to keep the action moving along with some help from you guys.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:30:45 AM by Rich » Logged

PS3 - PTCynic
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2009, 05:51:06 AM »

Found this nice little .jpg of shortcuts for FG.

The map shortcuts point out how to draw the various squares/pointers/cones and such.

PS3 - PTCynic
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »

Very cool, will have to print this out on the color laser here at work on Saturday when no one is around.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »

Rich - I'll give a try being more 'roleplayish' when it comes to my powers tonight. The main issue is that unlike MapTool, there's no Kobold 12, Kobold 128, etc etc. It makes it hard for targeting and such. "Yeah, I'll attack the Kobold to the NW of me." See, just doesn't flow as well.

Plus, Rich, don't worry about not understanding all our powers and such. Same with us as players. It'll all come to us naturally as time goes on. Remember - we're only two battles in (which have taken like 3 hours apiece).

BTW - did you get Lockdown in? I haven't seen him post here, so I'm curious as to what happened.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »

I kept forgetting to send a pm to him, finally sent one yesterday morning sometime.  No word back.

PS3 - PTCynic
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2009, 12:20:06 AM »

I think the role playing will be cool and will come more naturally once we get used to the software.  I know it took me a long time last week to figure out that the wnds column was wounds and not winds, and then I thought it was a running total for the game and not the current number.  So, I kept looking at the HP column and thought everyone was still at full HP when some were in bad shape.  My bad, but it takes a while for me to key in on these things.  I am hoping that when we get comfy we will role play better.  You are doing fine as the DM, but I think we will learn it as we go along.

If I had more desktop space it would be cool to keep the chat window for Ventrillo open for OOC chat but I get too much stuff up there as it is.  We do need to speed things up, but we are learning.  And having fun, IMO.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2009, 12:41:52 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on August 02, 2009, 12:20:06 AM

If I had more desktop space it would be cool to keep the chat window for Ventrillo open for OOC chat but I get too much stuff up there as it is.  We do need to speed things up, but we are learning.  And having fun, IMO.

Now that's a cool idea. But it's also fun to chatter with one another via Steam. However, I do see what you mean as far as OOC stuff goes.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2009, 05:01:30 AM »

Enjoyed that session, one thing I could use from you guys I guess is if you can remember those odd bonus problems we run into like Felpurr's extra con bonus to some power, go ahead and post any of those here so I can figure out either how to add them to your actual power or create a modifier if it is conditional.

Oh yeah I'm still upset that my dragon only really got a couple of attacks in, would have been better off if he had used his breath on his first turn for all the good his minions did him.

You got off lucky that his bonus didn't kick in on his Dragon's Fury, same for the slyblade's twin slash + 1d6 extra damage for combat advantage.  Decimating all the minions so there were no adjacent allies for the slyblades paid off.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:05:14 AM by Rich » Logged

PS3 - PTCynic
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2009, 05:35:54 AM »

Tonight was clearly one of those nights were everything just came together and clicked for us as a squad in combat.  I had a great time and am learning my character much better.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2009, 06:01:28 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on August 02, 2009, 05:35:54 AM

Tonight was clearly one of those nights were everything just came together and clicked for us as a squad in combat.  I had a great time and am learning my character much better.

Oh, totally. That went so dang well it was crazy.

And yeah, I think we're really glad that wyrmling didn't breathe on us. I mean, think of how much damage I do breathing lightning - something tells me that it would've hurt far more on the lot of us.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »

So finally last night...I felt like I could have said KEOTHI SMASH!  for a change....I actually hit something.

Combat went much smoother last night, mostly in part to us getting better dice rolls quite honestly.  Tactics wise, I am thinking that looking back, we were in a narrow hallway when we opened the doors to all those kobolds...we rushed in...had we stayed in the hallway we could have forced them to come to us through that bottleneck, thereby negating any chance of combat advantage for them, and also limiting the number of attacks they could do.

Attaching my revised character.  Looking back through the builder I made quite a few mistakes on my first pass.  I could have been using Hide Armor instead of leather, and a heavy shield, there by gaining an AC 2 higher.  I went ahead and also redid ability scores a bit to raise my con and drop my str...I now am sitting at an AC of 20.

I changed out my feat, the feat I had taken was not really all that helpful, so I took weapon focus I believe which offsets my str mod dropping one, so I still should have the same attack bonus as I had had.

had to zip the character file for the server to let me upload it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2009, 01:35:47 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 02, 2009, 12:41:14 PM

So finally last night...I felt like I could have said KEOTHI SMASH!  for a change....I actually hit something.

You didn't hit just 'something'. You hit multiple somethings. AND you got the killing blow on that wyrmling of should've been far more threatening than it should have. Nice job maneuvering the creatures around as well for those nice blows of yours, too.

I'll take a look at the character when I can - for whatever reason, I can't run the Creator on this Vista 64 OS, even though it runs just fine on my other Vista 64 rig.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2009, 10:50:46 AM »

Thanks Destructor, I have to admit that after our first two sessions I had been feeling more than useless.

Have you looked any more at the Genasi for your race?  They actually can make a pretty good defender race, with some feats that can give them some pretty nice elemental resists.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 03, 2009, 10:50:46 AM

Have you looked any more at the Genasi for your race?  They actually can make a pretty good defender race, with some feats that can give them some pretty nice elemental resists.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do that. I just gotta spend the time digging around the Character Creator to do so. Talk about a ton of options out there to choose from.

Two things as well:

1) I really like Keothi's 'rebuild'. Talk about one heck of a tank. The only thing I can think of is that you might want to even out your Str/Con - yeah, you'll lose out on 2HP and 1AC in doing so, but you'll get a global (so far, as all you have are Str attacks) +1 to hit with the increased Str. Yeah, you do have Weapon Expertise (Hammer) to balance it out, but being able to hit more often (and for an additional 1 point of damage) is always useful.

Additionally, if you have any Implement powers down the line, you might want to grab Focused Expertise (Warhammer) instead. Yes, this will lock you into a single weapon, but it will give you a +1 to hit on both Weapon and Implement attacks (with additional bonuses farther down the line).

2) Rich, I'm assuming that Hybrid Classes (introduced recently and fully supported in the Builder) are out of the question? It almost feels like I'm abusing the system if I try to make one of them.

And Arkon, trust me - you're not useless. You can really keep enemies at bay with your ability to mark a whole ton of people by just looking at them. Remember that I can only mark a single target.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »

I looked out through 10th level and didn't see anything that listed an implement for the Warden.

I was messing around in the character creator, and put together a really solid , (on paper at least) gnome bard.  Something we should probably consider is overall party makeup...are we too heavy on defender type roles, considering how tankish Arnir's cleric is...I am starting to get into a bit of a groove with the warden, but if we need to flesh out the party dynamic some, I am not too attached to the warden yet.

I suppose you are right about Str/Con.  Looking at powers down the line, my Con mod does come in to play on some of them, but only for the secondary effects.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »

Actually I'm fine with the hybrid classes, I just wanted to avoid the very Eberron feeling characters like the Artificer and the Warforged, that and have people choose a FR background for their characters. 

A few others I'd like people not to choose for my own selfish reasons.

Races:

Changeling
Kalashtar
Warforged

Classes:

Artificer
Psion

Nothing against those races or classes, I just want to save them for a future Eberron adventure.

PS3 - PTCynic
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »

I'm hoping that the next update to the character builder will have Divine Powers as a sourcebook.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2009, 09:03:08 PM »

Quote from: Rich on August 03, 2009, 07:12:44 PM

Actually I'm fine with the hybrid classes

Here's why Hybrid Classes are bad (and why I'll be nice and not use one):

level 1
Genasi, Swordmage|Wizard
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 13
HP: 28 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

POWERS
Hybrid Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst (PBAoE that only hits enemies for 1d6+4 Force)
Hybrid Wizard at-will 1: Thunderwave (Close Blast 3 (think of my Flame Cyclone power, or a non-hurled Dragon Breath) that does 1d6+4 Thunder, AND pushes enemies 1 square - oh, and that's an At-Will)
Hybrid encounter 1: Burning Hands (Close Blast FIVE that does 2d6+4 Fire - talk about a minion killer and it'll do serious damage to anything nearby)
Hybrid daily 1: Dimensional Thunder (My Bamf! and blast power you saw last battle)

Thunderwave alone is outright broken when you have near-defender AC levels (it's low compared to what I had before because I don't have access to any armor at all in this Hybrid form - but that can be fixed with an armor feat next level). Not only do I hurt foes (and, yes, players if they're in the way) for damage, but I can rearrange them with it too. And this is only first level. Just think what can be cobbled together between the two classes if I keep going.

Also, keep in mind that my sword is my implement (from my Swordmage class), so I'll do additional damage once I start finding magical weapons, not to mention feats (Focused Expertise) that can boost it further.

Arnir - I hope they have Divine Powers in the next Builder update too. I subscribed earlier today just for having access to the full featured Builder, and I'd love to see what's in the book itself. Although, I wonder...is it in the Compendium already?

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:29 AM »

I don't think that Divine Powers is in the Compendium yet.  If it is, I can't find it.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »

Post has been moved to a dedicated thread:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=35200.0
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:27:25 PM by Arkon » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 04, 2009, 02:34:48 PM

Gather around folks... for I have a story to tell...

*applauds*

I always wondered how writing out an in-character description of our exploits would turn out. With yours as the example, it seems it would end up quite well. Do continue.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:28:12 PM by Arkon » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2009, 03:38:58 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 04, 2009, 03:01:31 PM

Quote from: Arkon on August 04, 2009, 02:34:48 PM

Gather around folks... for I have a story to tell...

*applauds*

I always wondered how writing out an in-character description of our exploits would turn out. With yours as the example, it seems it would end up quite well. Do continue.

I will do my best... it isn't something I have done in a long time.  I used to do alot of "creative" writing back in middle school.  I should have done this after each session as my memory is a bit fuzzy on some of the events, so please do forgive me if I end up paraphrasing and summarizing a bit.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:29:30 PM by Arkon » Logged
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »

Good tale so far!  

Here is the Augst update list from the character builder login: (DP is in!)
Patch Notes - August 2009 D&D Insider Update

Data Update
Data from the following published materials are new this month:
•   Books
•   Eberron® Campaign Guide
•   Divine Power®
•   Adventure
•   Seekers of the Ashen Crown™
•   Khyber’s Harvest™
•   Online Magazines
•   Dragon® Issue 376
•   Dungeon® Issue 167
•   Debut from Player’s Handbook® 3
•   The Githzerai Race

Character Builder

Data Update

Data from the following published materials are new this month:
•   Books
•   Divine Power®
•   Adventure
•   Khyber’s Harvest™
•   Online Magazines
•   Dragon® Issue 376
•   Dungeon® Issue 167
•   Debut from Player’s Handbook® 3
•   The Githzerai Race

Character Builder

Content Highlight
•   Debut for the Githzerai Race
•   New content in Divine Power (The introduction of Domains and the powers associated to them)

Compendium

Domains have been added to Compendium to support Divine Power

Complete Data Set

•   Player’s Handbook®
•   Dungeon Master’s Guide®
•   Monster Manual®
•   Forgotten Realms® Player’s Guide
•   Forgotten Realms® Campaign Guide
•   Adventurer’s Vault™
•   Martial Power™
•   Draconomicon™: Chromatic Dragons
•   Manual of the Planes™
•   Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead™
•   Player’s Handbook® 2
•   Arcane Power™
•   Monster Manual® 2
•   Eberron® Player’s Guide
•   Online Magazines
•   Dragon® Issues 364–376
•   Dungeon® Issues 155–167
•   Adventures
•   H1 Keep on the Shadowfell
•   H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth™
•   H3 Pyramid of Shadows™
•   P1 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens™
•   P2 Demon Queen’s Enclave™
•   P3 Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress™
•   E1 Death’s Reach™
•   E2 Kingdom of the Ghouls™
•   FR1 Scepter Tower of Spellgard ™
•   Khyber’s Harvest™
•   The Psion, levels 1–30 (Debut from Player’s Handbook® 3)
•   The Githzerai (Debut from Player’s Handbook® 3)
•   Miniatures
•   Player’s Handbook Heroes: Series 1™
•   Player’s Handbook Heroes: Series 2™
•   Monster Manual: Dangerous Delves™

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »

Some possible character choices I was looking at for the start of the main campaign

#1 Variation of current DB cleric:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Rayna Windborne, level 1
Dragonborn, Cleric
Build: Battle Cleric
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Background: Durpar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 13.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 10 Will: 14
HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +5, Arcana +5, Insight +7, Heal +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +1, History +2, Intimidate +4, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth -1, Streetwise +2, Thievery -1, Athletics +2

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Hurl Breath

POWERS
Channel Divinity: Turn Undead
Cleric at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric encounter 1: Healing Strike
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Chainmail, Mace, Sling, Sling Bullets (20), Sling Bullet (19), Holy Symbol
RITUALS
Gentle Repose, Brew Potion
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

#2 Dwarf Cleric
Thoradin, level 1
Dwarf, Cleric
Build: Battle Cleric
Background: Aglarond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 11 Will: 14
HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +6, Arcana +6, Perception +7, Heal +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +3, History +1, Insight +2, Intimidate +2, Nature +2, Stealth -1, Streetwise +2, Thievery -1, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: Ilmater's Martyrdom

POWERS
Channel Divinity: Turn Undead
Cleric encounter 1: Healing Strike
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Holy Symbol, Chainmail, Sling, Sling Bullets (20), Warhammer
RITUALS
Gentle Repose, Brew Potion

Dragonborn Cleric with the new Divine Powers build for more of a healer and less of a fighter

Donaar Windborne, level 1
Dragonborn, Cleric
Build: Shielding Cleric
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Background: Aglarond

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 17.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 15.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 10 Will: 15
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +5, Heal +7, Arcana +5, History +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance, Insight +2, Intimidate +5, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth -1, Streetwise +3, Thievery -1, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: Battle Healer

POWERS
Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
Cleric encounter 1: War Priest's Strike
Cleric daily 1: Weapon of Astral Flame

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Holy Symbol, Chainmail, Spear, Sling, Sling Bullets (20)
RITUALS
Gentle Repose, Tenser's Floating Disk

Any comments/preferences/ideas/etc from the group?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:06:18 PM by Arnir » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2009, 12:43:52 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on August 04, 2009, 07:50:19 PM

Any comments/preferences/ideas/etc from the group?

I'll just sort this by build as it'll be easier that way (and this is all based off the updated Builder, updated today):

1) You need to pick a Deity (and pick one associated with your Alignment). Charisma, while a tertiary score (and one used in some modifiers to attack effects), isn't all that important. You might want to go with a 16, 12, 8, 10, 16, 12 spread (before racial modifiers - so you'll have 18 Str and 14 Cha after) to give you better attack rolls with Strength and Wisdom across the board. I'd go 'level up' a few levels and look at your future powers before you do so though - I don't want to direct you completely wrong by lowering your Charisma down too much.

NOTE: I figured out what Charisma is useful for as I was working on your third possibility - Sacred Flame (and giving out Temp HP when it does hit). Sorta ignore my Charisma comments all over the place, but still keep it in mind.

Beyond that, it looks good. And it's nice to see you took Hurl Breath. biggrin

2) Again the Deity didn't select or carry over (must be the differences between the Builder versions), but it's obvious you went with Ilmater with that one. Very nice Channel Divinity power because of it. Again though, your stats are low (and the lack of a +3 To Hit weapon for your class really hurts here), and I'd try a 16, 13, 8, 10, 14, 14 (before racial) here. Compared to #1 in the end, you'll have more HP, but your Str based attacks won't be as easily relied on. But you will have a bigger Weapon damage for those powers that use it, so it's a tradeoff. Additionally, you're a bit more of a tank just because of your Racial choice (but move slower as a result).

3) Ignoring the Deity issue, I'm not sure about your Feat choice. Yeah, I realize you're focusing upon being a total healer, but odds are pretty good that you aren't going to be attacked much. If the description is accurate, you'll personally gain HP whenever you use Healing Word on somebody, so I dunno how often that will be relied on. I do like the Healer's Mercy though - it's a power that can be used decently often (instead of the other one that requires Undead to be nearby), it'll help everybody (if they're Bloodied - could be a problem depending on how a fight goes), but yes, it'll weaken yourself in the process. Basically it's another Healing Word type power, but a bit more limited in use.

You have an extra Ability Score Point to put in somewhere - not sure what to do with it, short of maybe trying a 16, 12, 8, 10, 14, 14 spread (before racial), and maybe trying to avoid Wisdom based powers. I dunno. Maybe look at Invigorating Assault instead of Sacred Flame instead. I'm at a loss, frankly.

With all 3 - with you having access to Gentle Repose (incase we totally drop dead - and may some Deity help us if we do), you might want to purchase the component items for it if you have the money left over. The item is Mystic Salves (Heal) under Adventuring Gear, and you'll need 10GP worth. Or you can purchase the items for your other Rituals - Alchemical Reagents for Arcana, or Sanctified Incense for Religion.

Overall, all three look quite promising. Only thing to keep in mind is that you really need to have all three stats (Wis, Str, and Cha), and you frankly don't have the points for all three without gimping something like Con (reminds me of my Paladin). The best stat progression I can think of is what I put in for #1 (assuming you're going Dragonborn, and not looking at a race that gives Str and Wis (if they exist)), but you're then limiting what Charisma can do for you. It's still a +2 modifier, but I don't think it'll get many stat boosts in the end, as you'll be focusing on your attack stats (Wis and Str) as you level up.

In the end though, this is your character, and this is all about having fun in the end. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »

And here's my character if anyone is interested (short of the DM anyway):

Rhakos Tzrin, level 1
Githyanki, Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Shielding
Background: Nelanther Isles, Occupation - Mariner (Nelanther Isles Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 13
HP: 33 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Endurance +9, Athletics +7, Acrobatics +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering, Heal, History +6, Insight, Intimidate -1, Nature, Perception, Religion +4, Stealth +1, Streetwise -1, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: White Lotus Riposte

POWERS
Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst
Swordmage at-will 1: Luring Strike
Swordmage encounter 1: Flame Cyclone
Swordmage daily 1: Dimensional Thunder

ITEMS
Longsword, Leather Armor, Climber's Kit, Backpack (empty), Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Pouch, Belt (empty) (2), Rations, Trail (10), Sunrod (4), Waterskin (2), Crowbar, Identification Papers, with Portrait, Travel Papers, Torch (2), Rope, Silk (50 ft.), Dagger (2)

Only thing I really did was change his race to one that's a bit more friendly to the class, rearrange his stats, swap out one of the At-Wills to something more useful in combat, and change around the inventory (the Adventuring Kit has been broken apart into individual components as I bought lighter rope for him to climb around with). Questions, comments, whatever, post away.

Mr. Dragonborn has walked off into the sunset. Now it'll be Arnir's job to take up the mantle of the bad breath of doom. biggrin

Rich - I have a small history I'll be sending off to you sometime soon, and unfortunately I don't think that I'll be able to convince my friend to play (as he basically thinks that 4th Edition is bubkis for some reason). If you'd like, I can whip up a Ranger or a Sorcerer to play as. I have two PCs here, so playing two characters won't be too hard, short of RP aspects. Maybe I can make the other character a mute for some reason... I dunno.

Thoughts from anyone else on this?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »

How do you get 2-18's, 2-12's, and no score lower than an 8?  Is D&D becoming like Warhammer now?  The latest book has all the coolest things, making noone want to play with the older stuff?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 05, 2009, 09:36:05 PM

How do you get 2-18's, 2-12's, and no score lower than an 8?  Is D&D becoming like Warhammer now?  The latest book has all the coolest things, making noone want to play with the older stuff?

All races get +2 to two stats (with the exception of Humans - you only get one, but you get to pick that one), and my racial choice is a +2 to both Con and Int. And you're not allowed to have any stat be below an 8 to make it a 'legal' character, and only one stat can be below a 10. At least that's how it goes under the standard Point Buy system we're all using when it comes to our characters.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2009, 12:55:46 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 05, 2009, 11:36:44 PM

How do you get 2-18's, 2-12's, and no score lower than an 8?  Is D&D becoming like Warhammer now?  The latest book has all the coolest things, making noone want to play with the older stuff?

Really?  I need to go into the character maker again and check this out.  I had no idea you could have 2 18's and sacrifice so little.  Learn something new everyday

Edit:  Well - I just did.  I think it's pretty amazing I have never even tried to do that before.  Pretty cool actually.

By the way, Destructor: I have always really liked the Githyanki and Githzerai.  I can't wait to see how your character plays out.   
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:17:22 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2009, 06:40:16 AM »

Ok, bad news for this weekend, I can't play I forgot that one of my sisters was having a party for her husband's B-day this weekend so I won't be around.

I will leave the server running I think Saturday evening before I leave, you can log in and make any changes to your server side character sheets at least.

Sorry, everyone.

PS3 - PTCynic
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: