http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 06:56:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [D&D 4th Ed.] GT FR Adventure  (Read 16853 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »

And to reply to myself here:

Of course, who knows how much of that is Cox's 'powerboost' stuff trying to influence things behind my back.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »

I would rather not post my speedtest.net results... they are embarrassing to say the least.  Suffice to say I would be the slowest so far by a decent margin.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2009, 03:48:02 PM »

Quote from: Rich on July 20, 2009, 08:01:08 PM

Quote from: TiLT on July 20, 2009, 05:43:28 PM

Quote from: Rich on July 20, 2009, 03:25:12 PM

We can still go with Maptool until we get the transfer to FG set up if we decide to use it.  Right now I'm having a hell of a time installing my copy of Dungeon Designer 3 to my Windows 7 PC's even when I use the different compatibility modes, it keeps insisting that I don't have .net framework 1.1 installed so I may have to recreate the maps via my old laptop which isn't sounding fun.

That's strange. My copy of the Campaign Cartographer tools (including Dungeon Designer) works perfectly in Windows 7. Have you tried manually downloading and installing the .net framework version 1.1 from Microsoft's site? It could be that the latest versions of .net doesn't include compatibility with the first versions.

No I've installed the 1.1 framework from the MS site and rebooted, it shows up in my program list just fine but DD3 still won't install, says I need to install .net 1.1.  Did you install to the C:\ drive?  I've got my CC3 on a separate partition and I'm trying to install DD3 to the same location.

Ok I finally found the problem this morning, the 1.1 framework on MS's site doesn't include sp1 or the hotfix to sp1, I found links to those in a separate place on the Pro Fantasy website, silly me for thinking that MS would incorporate the sp1 and hotfixes into a digital download of one of their programs years later.  So yeah to get .net framework 1.1 installed you have to download 3 separate files from MS.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »

Well, I fiddled around with Fantasy Grounds a bit more and got my character recreated. It doesn't look anywhere near as nice as it does in Maptool, nor can players really get the full detail of a power by clicking on it (like you can do in Maptool with a bit of typing), but it works. Seems easy enough to create the character after a bit of fiddling.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »

Here's a shot of a conflict in action using Keothi and his Earthshield Strike power against a few Kobolds.

If you look in the chat window you can see where Keothi's turn starts and I clicked on the description of his power to have it show the power block info in the chat window for everyone to read.  He then attacked with it using his warhammer & then rolled his damage roll.  The chat window then shows the +1 power bonus to AC applied to his character.  Then I ran through the other turns to get back to Keothi and the chat reminded him that he has a bonus to his AC, he attacks again and I ended his turn and the chat tells everyone that his bonus has expired at the end of his turn.

To roll attack or damage with Keothi in the image above I just grabbed the black dice icon from where it says warhammer and rolled the dice into the chat window, or I could just double click on the dice and it rolls them in the chat window.

The other windows open show Keothi's mini sheet set to Main, a couple of different types of Kobolds sheets set to their powers and the combat tracker with different options expanded.

I input the monsters using a parsing program and their powers came out better than just typing the info directly into FG, I can click on words in their descriptions to roll or bring up a popup window that explains what the attack is.

It's also really easy to add in modifiers to your rolls, you have a menu of common modifiers like combat advantage and such or you can create some. then you just drag any modifiers into that box next to the dice and when you roll it will figure them in and output in the chat all the modifiers you used on that roll.

The only thing it's really lacking I find is color and I can't resize the chat window as far as I can tell but I must have done something different than Destructor did because I can get the full detail of a power by clicking on it.  Now if I could only figure out how to input the players powers using the parsing program it might be easier.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:19:54 PM by Rich » Logged

PS3 - PTCynic
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »

Just found out someone had written a program that would take your DDI exported character sheet and convert it (everything but the powers) to work in FG but he has taken it down right now to create a new version, the last post on the program was from late April. frown

PS3 - PTCynic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »

Now see, this is what happens when a program comes more naturally to one person than the next. Tongue

Maptool and the config we were using before? I could make them look pretty much like the real thing (AA's token). FGII, apparently I need to learn a few more things on how exactly it works. Maybe if I mess with the parser program for a while...

As far as color goes - you have 4 options. Basically the options change what 'time of day' it is and adjusts the entire looks to match that. Pretty neat option, IMHO.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »

Here is a shot of what things look like if we can figure out the parser program, the picture shows various popup windows of feats, items, powers, racial traits and more.  It looks very nice but as of now I have only run the tutorial on creating entries for the monster manual and I haven't had the time to figure out what they are doing to create the other stuff.  I think it's all in the documentation to the parser program including examples of all those shown in the screen shot above.

PS3 - PTCynic
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2009, 06:18:08 PM »

So it can be done in FG it's just a matter of a few of us learning how to create that stuff and dividing up the job much like we did with the tokens.  Finding the time to learn it is the biggest problem so until then I guess we deal with the lag issue in maptool.

I really wish WotC hadn't dropped the ball on their own game table or at least I wish they would give support in some way to a 3rd party like this FG/FourUglyMonsters group effort.  As it is now everyone is afraid to post their work for others to download because not everyone who would download it actually owns the content in the files.

PS3 - PTCynic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »

Quote from: Rich on July 21, 2009, 06:18:08 PM

I really wish WotC hadn't dropped the ball on their own game table or at least I wish they would give support in some way to a 3rd party like this FG/FourUglyMonsters group effort.  As it is now everyone is afraid to post their work for others to download because not everyone who would download it actually owns the content in the files.

And in the end, that's the core problem. Nobody can post anything because WotC has taken a draconian effort to lock their stuff down. Remember when they removed all PDF books of 4th Edition without warning? Yeah, people were pirating the thing like no other (because somebody had an insider somewhere that could get the printer's PDF copies of the books themselves), but people were very angry of it happening too.

And that's it - I'm taking Weapon Proficiency: Pool Cue next level. biggrin

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »

At least we can look forward to a solid online gametable experience from WotC when they finally get around to it, if their existing applications are anything to go by.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »

I tried to make a character last night from the demo of FG, but I couldn't even figure out how to get the second set of dice rolls to plug into the sheet.  Sigh.  I"m sure it is something obvious.
I left the default setup of 6 scores of 3 dice with 0 drops.  I have three vertical columns for the rolls and a vertical column labelled total.  I can fill in the first vertical column, but I can't get any dice rolls into the second column.  What am I doing wrong?  Or is this a demo thing I'm missing?  I fully expect to be embarrassed when you guys show me the silly answer.

Read the manual for the win:  Under local mode it tells you how to do it.  You've got to put 3 dice into the dice cup at the bottom and then roll from there.  Apparently you can't roll it one dice at a time for three times, etc.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:58:20 PM by Arnir » Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2009, 08:28:24 PM »

I also don't think that there's even a way to make your character from the pure demo program. I think you can only mess around with it.

And TiLT - yeah, I agree. Their Character Creator is an impressive bit of work, so I think that the Gametable would be just as good in the end.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »

So, well, uh...can I get that Pool Cue now as a feat for my Swordmage? biggrin

(Rich will get the importance of this picture)

(Not shown are optional modules for the MM and PHB, along with the Adventurer's Vault and Martial Power):
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:20:59 PM by Destructor » Logged

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »

Are you telling me we don't have hours and hours of work ahead of us and that you now have some .mod files we didn't have this morning?

If so there may be a magic item waiting at the end of the opening adventure that may or may not look like a pool cue smile

PS3 - PTCynic
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2009, 11:30:39 PM »

So what is the verdict, should I look at buying a license for Fantasy Grounds?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2009, 11:44:49 PM »

Quote from: Rich on July 21, 2009, 11:18:05 PM

Are you telling me we don't have hours and hours of work ahead of us and that you now have some .mod files we didn't have this morning?

If so there may be a magic item waiting at the end of the opening adventure that may or may not look like a pool cue smile

That's exactly as such. biggrin

I'll shoot you a PM showing you where you can find this. Let me know if it doesn't work for you. And about that pool cue...remember that only blades work with my Swordmage powers. Maybe a spear-blade or something?  icon_lol

Quote from: Arkon on July 21, 2009, 11:30:39 PM

So what is the verdict, should I look at buying a license for Fantasy Grounds?

I would wait until we all make sure this works as well as it should.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2009, 01:52:20 AM »

So, have we decided on a firm schedule for this Saturday?

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on July 22, 2009, 01:52:20 AM

So, have we decided on a firm schedule for this Saturday?

I would assume we are aiming for the same time as last week.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »

Do we know if Jeff is going to play with us again?  I think our sessions hit their stride pretty quickly last time around, and once these early technical snags get smoothed out, things will move a lot faster.

-Autistic Angel
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »

The same time is fine with me - I couldn't remember who was able to play this week and if that was having an impact or the time or not.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2009, 07:38:39 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 23, 2009, 04:40:58 PM

Do we know if Jeff is going to play with us again?  I think our sessions hit their stride pretty quickly last time around, and once these early technical snags get smoothed out, things will move a lot faster.

-Autistic Angel

He's told me that he wants to play and his Sunday mornings were set to change when August rolled around but that's been pushed back now and he doesn't know when his Sunday mornings will open up now.  So, long story short and all that if he continues to play he'll have to cut out at a certain time, I'm not sure when that is.  So we may have to find a more permanent 5th player.

On a side note, I'm really close to having Fantasy Grounds down, creating characters is much easier with it but we'll probably need a "how to use FG lesson" so everyone will understand what they do on their turns with their characters and what the DM will be doing.  I told Destructor there was a good chance I could actually have it ready to go on Sat. night but that would leave no time for a lesson session unless we tacked that on before the game.

PS3 - PTCynic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2009, 08:57:13 PM »

Well, you could have everybody sign on a bit early on Saturday, Rich, and you could teach them what to do. I think I have the basic grasp of the program down enough that I could muddle my way through it until I get up to speed.

Overall, I think you'll all like Fantasy Grounds. It's really nice looking (it looks as if you were playing 'real' D&D face to face), and being able to roll actual dice (you actually grab dice and throw them around the board to make your rolls) is really dang cool.

And see you all same time on Saturday.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2009, 12:56:46 AM »

I will go ahead and get a license then.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2009, 01:05:38 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 24, 2009, 12:56:46 AM

I will go ahead and get a license then.

And here I was really considering getting one for my own use on the side as well. Did you grab it yet?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2009, 01:41:24 AM »

Not yet...been wasting time stumbling around the web.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »

Should the players buy "full" or "lite" licenses for Fantasy Grounds?

-Autistic Angel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »

I bought the full version so that:

1. If I ever need the functionality I will have it
2. I like to support "indie" companies who produce good products.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 24, 2009, 03:42:21 PM

Should the players buy "full" or "lite" licenses for Fantasy Grounds?

Full is if you're going to DM - Lite is if you're going to be a player. That said, with Arkon's purchase, there's enough keys to go around. At least that's what I thought Rich said.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »

Would it help us to log in to someone early and get the books downloaded so we can set up our characters?  Or can we get the 4e stuff ourselves?  I got confused.
I agree with Arkon - if this works I might buy a full license just to support the folks.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2009, 06:58:40 PM »

Well I did support them 5 times already smile, but I'm not going to stop anyone from buying their own.

Right now the licenses are as follows:

Destructor = Full (from Rich)
Arkon = Full (his own)
Arnir = Lite (from Rich)
Rich = Full (from Rich)
AA = Lite (Rich needs to send the key)
Jeff(or 5th player) = (Rich needs to send the key)

I'm going to PM you now AA with a key to install a lite version.

Arnir I agree with getting the books and stuff early but I'm not home when you guys are so you can get them from me, I'll be around on Saturday after 9am CST and I'll post the server info for people to log in and get some help early.

I've been working on maps, I have no problems making nice looking maps I just have a hell of a time getting a grid to match up once I put it into FG, it's very frustrating.  I must be creating them at the wrong scale or something.

PS3 - PTCynic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »

Quote from: Rich on July 24, 2009, 06:58:40 PM

I've been working on maps, I have no problems making nice looking maps I just have a hell of a time getting a grid to match up once I put it into FG, it's very frustrating.  I must be creating them at the wrong scale or something.

Fiddling around, it seems that FG works on a 'how big is this box' system, at least on the demo map it comes with. You can define how big the grid is by just dragging a box. Seems simple enough. Let me mess with it.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 24, 2009, 07:08:46 PM

Quote from: Rich on July 24, 2009, 06:58:40 PM

Fiddling around, it seems that FG works on a 'how big is this box' system, at least on the demo map it comes with. You can define how big the grid is by just dragging a box. Seems simple enough. Let me mess with it.

It's not that simple, what happens is I make a map in DD3 and I save it with the grid showing so I can just slap the FG grid right on top of the one in the image.  Well the FG one will match up on a single square but as the grid moves away from the square you used to set the scale it starts being mismatched and gets worse and worse the farther away you get.  It has something to do with how I set my grid up in DD3 combined with how you save it combined with lining up the FG grid.  A pain in the ass so far, mostly because CC3 likes to crash when saving a picture on a W7/Vista machine.  I'm installing CC3 on my XP laptop to give it a try there.

PS3 - PTCynic
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2009, 07:58:34 PM »

Worst case scenario with FG if we use it on Saturday is that I don't use the grid overlay from FG and we just move the tokens to match the grid lines that show up in the map picture.  I think all this affects is your token snapping into correct position.

PS3 - PTCynic
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2009, 10:25:11 PM »

Interesting - I got it to work. I fired up Paint Shop Pro and made a bunch of squares exactly 25 pixels wide. Then I used FG to make a grid that big, and it just worked.

The only thing I can think of is that the size of the grid line itself needs to be exactly 1 pixel wide (and that part is completely non-adjustable). So that means that the 25 grid is 26 pixels big on two sides before it all starts again.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2009, 11:22:26 PM »

Ok, I got Fantasy Grounds II full version installed.

Now what do I do to get 4th edition in and start creating my character?
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2009, 05:14:43 AM »

Success, I knew the problem lay in converting the image from the Dungeon Designer 3 format into a jpeg for Fantasy Grounds, you have to the scale of pixels per foot and the program kept crashing when I tried to duplicate the tutorials crazy math.  I knew the math was wrong but I figured they just forgot to mention a crazy step in the video to arrive at the number they did.  I went back and did it using what I thought should be the correct math and it converted just fine and the resulting jpeg matches up perfectly with the grid now in FG.

The image I was trying to work with earlier today did not have the pixels per foot set at all because it was the only way I could get the map to save without crashing.

Edit to add: I forgot to put in stairs, damn.

PS3 - PTCynic
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2009, 05:24:37 AM »

Quote from: Rich on July 25, 2009, 05:14:43 AM

Edit to add: I forgot to put in stairs, damn.

Isn't that when you declare magical flotation devices have been put in place?

I have realized some changes I will have to make to my character before I start the full campaign.  I misinterpreted some stuff with the guardian that makes it much less useful, etc.  But it is nice to have this intro campaign to figure things out.  I'm excited about our next session.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »

Anyone get a chance to dl the books/whatever?  I'm raring to go!  icon_biggrin

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »

Ok, I have a ventrilo server now if we want to switch to that, if it's too much stuff to mess with for one day no big deal.

Ventrilo Server info is:

Hostname or IP - 74.53.190.178
Port number - 4205
Password - gtdungeon

I tried to find a way to host the files needed somewhere but other than requiring everyone to get a dropbox account I don't know where to host them.  So I'm going to fire up the FG server now so you can connect and it will send you the files, it's just slower.

server alias is - firm ally epic camp
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 04:46:40 PM by Rich » Logged

PS3 - PTCynic
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: