http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 04:58:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Boardgame] Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island  (Read 933 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »

Picked up Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island at Gencon recently and it's rapidly soaring to the top of my solo and coop boardgame GOTY (it's actually overtaking Flashpoint and Mage Knight from previous years too). 

It's by Ignacy Trzewiczek, who created one of my other favorite game series, 51st State/New Era.  The best part was that he was at Gencon in the Z-Man area running demos of his games.  I got him to sign my copy of RC after grabbing one of the few remaining copies early in the convention.

In a nutshell, RC is a coop game that allows 1 to 4 players to select a character (soldier, cook, explorer, carpenter) and then fulfill a scenario selected before the game starts.  Each scenario lists a goal, the number of turns you have to achieve that goal and numerous other scenario specific rules that alter the game slightly.  There are six scenarios included in the game and I've played the first about 4 times so far.  We won the first time with 3 players...but we got a few important rules wrong.  The rest were solo games and I've yet to make it past turn 6 (out of 12) before getting my butt handed to me.

You perform the following phases each turn:

1) Event - draw from an event deck that gives you a card to place in the Threat Action space.  Often it has an immediate effect...sometimes bad, sometimes good.  Mostly bad though.
2) Morale - Check your morale track.  It changes when folks get wounded enough or through other events in the game.  If morale is high enough, you'll get Determination tokens.  These can be spent to activate your character's unique, special skills.   If morale is low enough, you can lose these same tokens.
3) Production - get resources from your camp tile.  Food and Wood are the two primary resources gained from tiles.  A third type of resource, furs, is gained through hunting or special discovery tokens you get from exploring.
4) Action -  The meat of the game. You assign your two pawns to the actions you want to undertake.  There are 7 actions total - Threat (deal with the card in the threat space from step 1 above), hunt, build (shelter, roof, palisades, weapons and/or inventions), gather resources from adjacent tiles, explore (reveal a face down tile and place it on the map to reveal new resource locations amongst other things, rearrange camp to gain morale, or rest to heal.  If you assign two pawns to the same action when building, gathering or exploring, it's an automatic success.  If you assign one, you roll three of the appropriate action dice for the selected action and may have to deal with a card with numerous bad/good effects.
5) Weather - After a certain number of turns, your scenario will dictate what (if any) weather dice to roll.  Rain, snow and even storms damage your food and wood stocks if you don't have a decent roof or palisades. 
6) Night - You have to eat.  If you don't have food, you take two wounds.

It's a brutal game that I absolutely love in spite of constantly losing.  I can't recommend it enough.  That it plays fantastically solo is just icing on the cake for a game I can't wait to play again and again. 

2 big thumbs up for this one!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »

I would like to get it, but I cannot find it anywhere.

I did get Omen, though. Supposed to ship in September.

PSN: MythicalMino
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:37:13 AM »

This is topping my list. How is the "girlfriend factor"? Our group is comprised of two light gamers that get frustrated learning new games.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »

It won't sleep with you, if that's what you're asking.

The game isn't as light as Pandemic or even Flashpoint.  It's a euro wrapped in a coop.  So if some of your players are subject to frustration because the game has more than 8 rules, it's going to be problematic for them.  But that complexity is the reason I love it so. 

So I would skip it if your sole intention is to play with a non-gamer.  But if you want a fantastic solo experience when they're not around, it's a must buy.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »

I'll second hepcat's opinion - the game is phenomenal.  I got the game late last week, and we ended up playing it four times over the weekend.  Even though we lost all four, each game was really enjoyable.  It's amazing how well the game creates a story as you play.  While there are a lot of rules and complexity, it's one of those games where everything is logical - when in doubt, whatever seems like the most thematic or realistic way to play is usually the correct way to play.

As for the wife/girlfriend factor, as long as someone knows the rules and can keep the game going, I think it's really pretty good.  My wife joins in board game sessions from time to time but is not really a gamer.  After playing this two player last week and losing about halfway in, she immediately suggested we play again right then.  Even my kids (11 and 8 ) picked it up within a handful of turns.  

XBox Live:  JNacht
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »

Interesting, it's sounds pretty good. How is it 2 player? I have high hopes for this, as it is story driven and we really love games with a lot of player interaction.

I find that in regards to my wife, there are 2 factors that come into play. How inuitive a game plays, and how much downtime when not your turn.

Letters from Whitechapel was a success due to the rules being easy to grasp and it flowing well. Dominant Species was relatively easy to get the hang of, but lent itself to AP a bit and the downtime was exhorbitant for her.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »

This game is so at the top of my list.  Just wish I knew when I'd be able to fit it in the budget.  Which is kind of moot since who knows when you'll actually be able to buy it again without getting lucky.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:50:52 PM »

Good lord, if your players were able to grasp Dominant Species, then RC will be a walk in the park.   icon_eek

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »

I had a brief window during which I could have ordered this from CSI and I missed it. Now I am sort of regretting it.

Instead I got Trains, which is actually amazingly good (Dominion-like deck building but with a board). My wife loves it, so I suppose that is a win. She isn't much for co-ops anyway.

Still, Z-man has been very bad at providing enough copies of their products to match demand. Terra Mystica is the same situation. And the post-market sales are really ridiculous - $100-150!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:15:21 PM »

I'm hoping your love for this game lasts through Octocon. /hint

I'm assuming Pax Porfiwhatever and DoA 2 are on a shelf in your basement now.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »

No basement, I'm an apartment dweller.

I actually played Pax the weekend before last at Gencon in the open boardgame room.  And I'm going to take a roadtrip to redwarlord's place down in Ft. Wayne in the next few weeks to play Duel of Ages II numerous times.

If they're good games, they'll come out after I buy them.  Maybe not every time I game, but enough that I don't feel like I wasted my money.  Besides, in the world of hobbies and bad habits, this is a relatively harmless one...plus, it may help stave off senility!

And yes, Robinson Crusoe will be at Octocon.  Shall I book you a seat for RC, Pax, DoAII and a mage off between you, me and Zarathud in Mage Wars?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:35:23 PM by hepcat » Logged

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 29, 2013, 09:30:43 PM

And yes, Robinson Crusoe will be at Octocon.  Shall I book you a seat for RC, Pax, DoAII and a mage off between you, me and Zarathud?

Not sure I am interested in Pax, but I am definitely interested in RC and Mage Wars and would like to see DoAII at least. My other interest that I haven't gotten a chance to play is Spartacus.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »

Then Spartacus you shall play, sir.  Hentzau's bringing my copy back Saturday night.  The expansion adds more players, so I foresee more games of this during the 'con. 

Pax is definitely not a game with broad appeal, so I can certainly understand why most folks aren't interested in it.  I have this weird love of all things GMT-like and Pax can best be described as a card version of one of their heavier games.

DoAII is great because we can put together a team game that plays up to 9 on each side.  And you can drop in or out whenever you'd like. 

RC and DoAII I'm going to entrust to a few during the con as they're both rather large ticket items.  So if you don't see a copy on the table, just smack me in the back of the head and promise you'll make sure they don't get damaged and I'll grab it out of my car and give it to you if I'm busy with something else.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:14:25 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on August 29, 2013, 09:03:30 PM

I had a brief window during which I could have ordered this from CSI and I missed it. Now I am sort of regretting it.

Instead I got Trains, which is actually amazingly good (Dominion-like deck building but with a board). My wife loves it, so I suppose that is a win. She isn't much for co-ops anyway.

Still, Z-man has been very bad at providing enough copies of their products to match demand. Terra Mystica is the same situation. And the post-market sales are really ridiculous - $100-150!

I'll add a second thumbs up to Trains.  Really good.

As for RC: AotCI: Hep, how would you compare it to Ghost Stories in terms of complexity?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »

Not sure I can draw a direct comparison  It's a very different game than Ghost Stories. The narrative is much more important in RC.  I would probably say it's more like Tales of the Arabian Nights with some worker placement and resource management forming the majority of the mechanics behind the gameplay.  It's not needlessly complex, but there's a lot of choices to be made each turn.

My turn order breakdown above should give you an idea of how it plays.

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 04:13:46 AM »

I actually found two copies of this at my FLGS! But I chickened out, because they were at the full $80 price tag. I also had/have my eye on Pathfinder: The Adventure Card Game and Cuba Libre, but I can't decide which would be more fun to solo play. Given that I am a historian/history prof, I could feasibly play Cuba Libre in my office during my 2 hour lunch break. I *could* play RC and Pathfinder, but it is less historical.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »

Cuba Libre's in stores?  I have it on preorder from coolstuffinc right now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: