http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:04:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [4th Edition D&D] Condition Tokens  (Read 10365 times)
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »

So one of the things I really like about the new D&D edition is the use of minis in the game.  I've been scarfing up sets of minis off of ebay right and left to use in the game.  I may be in the minority here, but...

Yesterday I sent off a note to Litko Aerosystems about how cool it would be if they came out a with a set of tokens that could be used under D&D minis for keeping track of statuses...things like slowed, bloodied, marked, etc.  I got an e-mail back within about 10 minutes saying "Great idea!  Look!  I've already been working on them!"  And today the first set showed up in his Product Lab.

My only beef with them, so far?  I wish they were round instead of square.  I like the esthetics of the round markers under the round bases of the minis.  But it's a minor quibble.  When I told him this, he said he was coming out with a second set of markers that will be round for keeping track of combatant roles (like minion, artilerist, etc.)  Personally, I don't see a lot of need for those, and would rather he reverse the two of them, but once again, that's just me.

So...go check them out.  My personal hope is that enough folks will bug him for round ones that he will make a set of round ones as well.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »

Very interesting. This would definitely work if you were playing the tabletop 'version', as there's a lot of things to keep track of in 4th Ed (Bloodied, Marked, Cursed, etc).

I for one am looking forward to seeing what Wizards does with their online tabletop game. They have a lot of 'competition' in that category, from free to not-so free.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »

I've been using these magnetic tokens from Alea Tools:

http://www.aleatools.com/

My only problem is if you get too many of them close to each other they tend to repel each other.  That said, I saw a battlemat the other day that was magnetic so that might help with that.

Edit: URL to the magnetic battlemat http://www.dark-platypus.com/

I'd love to get one of those, but when the shipping cost is almost as much as the price of the mat, I'll make due with them being a little repellent for now

Edit: Of course I could have probably just bought some poker chips and called it good smile  I just like supporting companies that support tabletop gamers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:28:53 PM by IceBear » Logged
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:12:59 PM »

He just released another set of tokens to use, these are round, and keep track of the creature type (boss, minion, artilerist...)

Really wish he would have reversed those, though, and have the effect tokens round and the creature types square.
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:52:46 PM »

Quote from: IceBear on July 24, 2008, 07:20:56 PM

Edit: URL to the magnetic battlemat http://www.dark-platypus.com/

He also makes nifty Tokens for M:tG and other games... check out his Bendy Walls for minis

Spawn of OO Collective
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »

Quote from: chaosraven on August 05, 2008, 10:52:46 PM

He also makes nifty Tokens for M:tG and other games... check out his Bendy Walls for minis

Those bendy-walls seem like a great idea. The marekting copy made me laugh, too.

The secret is the power of HINGINESS(tm).

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:18:24 PM »

When I was DMing, I used to get miniatures from other games (pre D&D minis days). Games Workshop has some pretty awesome minis that are cool to look at, and you get to paint/decorate them yourself.

Of course, the thing I hate most about using minis is that it shoe-horns your adventures into certain set encounters - IE: I just bought and painted a unit of 10 skeleton warriors, so guess what you guys are gonna be fighting a lot of!
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 03:11:08 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on August 08, 2008, 02:18:24 PM

When I was DMing, I used to get miniatures from other games (pre D&D minis days). Games Workshop has some pretty awesome minis that are cool to look at, and you get to paint/decorate them yourself.

Of course, the thing I hate most about using minis is that it shoe-horns your adventures into certain set encounters - IE: I just bought and painted a unit of 10 skeleton warriors, so guess what you guys are gonna be fighting a lot of!

I have a shitload of unpainted GW minis in my basement, collected about 15 years ago.  Was huge into WHFB.  I should really put my armies up on ebay, I haven't played WHFB in about 10 years.  Anyway...I used to love painting minis, but now I find myself with little to no time to do any painting.  Thats why I really like the D&D minis.  I've been buying them in small lots off of Ebay to match up with whatever future encounter the PCs are going to have.  We play fairly infrequently that it seems to work out pretty well.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »

A couple of bonus tools have been released on DnDInsider.com.  The encounter one is pretty good.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/insider/bonustools

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 02:12:35 PM »

I looked long and hard at the Alea Tools markers at Gen Con, but ultimately didn't get them, from both a price and an aesthetics standpoint.

I like the new set of condition tokens over at Litko, showing different damage types for ongoing/damage saves.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 03:38:58 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on August 20, 2008, 02:12:35 PM

I looked long and hard at the Alea Tools markers at Gen Con, but ultimately didn't get them, from both a price and an aesthetics standpoint.

I like the new set of condition tokens over at Litko, showing different damage types for ongoing/damage saves.

Yeah, they are expensive for what they are.  The only good thing about them is you can buy the punch so you can put whatever artwork you want on them.  I only got my set because someone from WotC plugged them while discussing his table setup last Dec/Jan and I didn't really see anything else like it.  Now, however, I'd probably just get these
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: