http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 05:53:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does it take to ban a troll?  (Read 2386 times)
Cleric7
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:20:03 AM »

Seriously, what's the forum rules on this? LE is a troll. That is the sum total of his contributions in most cases. A perfect example is the Oblivion impressions thread in Console Games. When you have dozens of people politely and respectfully analysing a game -- both the pros and cons -- and one guy just there to troll and draw attention to himself, it hurt the integrity of the site. It lessens the experience for every single poster who does respect the other guy's viewpoint.

Ron, I really would like to hear your view on this. You run a great site here and I am a long-term poster. That we have to put up with this guy dragging us down -- quite intentionally, over and over -- it really is a shame.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:36:04 AM »

You have a problem with somebody stating an opinion which doesn't conform to everyone else's?

Pretty pathetic thing to ban somebody for, IMO.  I would be ashamed to have even stated a request like this.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 07:38:10 AM »

LE isn't stating an opinion. He's trolling, plain and simple. It's obvious.

And why would I be ashamed to request that someone who is deliberately and consistently entering threads for the sole purpose of stirring up shit be banned? You tell me what he was out to achieve in the Oblivion Impressions thread.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 07:58:11 AM »

The thread in question has several replies from Mods and from myself.  It'll clean up.  Have faith. smile  

Seriously, you have to be pretty much at U2k's insanity to get banned for trolling.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »

Understood Ron, and thank you.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 12:32:32 PM »

Like anyone else here Lord Ebonstone is subject to the Code of Conduct.  When or if he crosses that, he will get smacked down.
Quote from: "Cleric7"
LE is a troll. That is the sum total of his contributions in most cases.

I understand you don't like the crap he throws into Oblivion threads and, honestly, it seems childish to me also.  But if you believe what you said above then you should look back through his posts here.  I'd have a difficult time proving most of his posts are trollish.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 05:50:07 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Like anyone else here Lord Ebonstone is subject to the Code of Conduct.  When or if he crosses that, he will get smacked down.
Quote from: "Cleric7"
LE is a troll. That is the sum total of his contributions in most cases.

I understand you don't like the crap he throws into Oblivion threads and, honestly, it seems childish to me also.  But if you believe what you said above then you should look back through his posts here.  I'd have a difficult time proving most of his posts are trollish.

Agreed. I will admit that I overreacted because of the Oblivion stuff. LE can be a good poster. That makes it all the more puzzling when he chooses to act like he did last night. It can seriously get in the way of constructive discussions about a game.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 07:42:47 PM »

Yeah, usually I see LE's posts are pretty reasonable.  Probably was either tired or in a bad mood. Tongue
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 09:23:04 PM »

Going into a thread where people are discussing a game that you have never played just to say it's crap because a couple people said so on another forum is BS. That is trolling. I don't care if it's the Sims2, Oblivion, or CivIV, if you go into a thread just to say the game sucks, without be constructive you are trolling.

LE ignored the vast majority of posts, found a couple of bad ones and posted them as the truth. If that isn't trolling for a reaction, what is? People can hate the game, talk shit about it left and right, but at least play the game and give reasons.

I don't really care if he is banned or not, but people like him, and people on another forum I post on, have greatly reduced my enjoyment of both forums with their crap.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 10:00:35 PM »

Lee,

if one is going to mount an argument (or provide a statement contrary to popular opinion) one needs to have source for that.

He hunted down examples and provided them. Those were then questioned (by KD no less). I for one can sometimes ignore, sometimes respect, and even *gasp* sometimes agree with LE.

He is a very intelligent poster; he sometimes lets his over-dramatic/critical/clinical self dominate in his posts and it comes across as very abrasive.

He's part of the GT family of posters, and like him or don't, he is welcome here just like everyone else unless he crosses the CoC. I had butted heads with him a few times in the past; as have most GT'ers. It's not a bad thing though, it keeps us in check. It sometimes helps to have a wildly negative person (read: wet blanket/sourpuss) to even the keel.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 10:27:15 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Lee,

if one is going to mount an argument (or provide a statement contrary to popular opinion) one needs to have source for that.

He hunted down examples and provided them. Those were then questioned (by KD no less). I for one can sometimes ignore, sometimes respect, and even *gasp* sometimes agree with LE.

He is a very intelligent poster; he sometimes lets his over-dramatic/critical/clinical self dominate in his posts and it comes across as very abrasive.

He's part of the GT family of posters, and like him or don't, he is welcome here just like everyone else unless he crosses the CoC. I had butted heads with him a few times in the past; as have most GT'ers. It's not a bad thing though, it keeps us in check. It sometimes helps to have a wildly negative person (read: wet blanket/sourpuss) to even the keel.

Agreed - my point in questioning wasn't to discredit but to point out that a lot of people's objections are opinions, and they vary wildly.  Now that I have the game for myself, I can say that to a lesser degree some of the accusations are true.  Are they world-ending as the people on the main forums make them out to be?  Obviously not, but are they ever?  Some people just REALLY need a box of tissue and a healthy dose of 'grow the hell up'.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 12:00:33 AM »

Just as an aside, I was purposely -looking- for bad things being said about the game, so it's nice to see someone pointing out it's flaws.  I believe even Penny Arcade likewise had harsh judgements of what they had seen of it prior to release.

LE does seem to be an overall grounding influence, in my experience.  Back when I was all in happy-happy-joy-joy land over FFXI, he was stating some of the bad points of the game.  And, of course, I didn't want to hear it, because I was still in love.  Well, time proved him right in that case.

He also has criticisms of WoW, which I really don't agree with at all, even after all this time playing it, but of course he is entitled to disagree with me.  If he doesn't have fun in the game, it's a subjective matter.  I can't MAKE somebody dislike onions, or like green peppers, nor is there a right/wrong in such situations.  And so it goes with a person's taste in games.

I hope Cleric7 doesn't find my statement excessively harsh, but case in point, I was being personally attacked in matters which have now been resolved, and even in that case I never called for anyone to be banned.  My request was only that moderation take place, since I only ask that we all follow the same rules.  In fact, some of my actions immediately afterward were inappropriate due to my failure in adjusting to the new situation, but that is likewise water under the bridge.  What I am saying is that banning is a very harsh punishment, and when it is used frivolously, it kind of poisons the well.  I'm sure people can name some... "other"... forum where banning is handed out like sugary snacks, and the rules are selectively enforced.  I'm very happy this is not such a place.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 01:54:29 AM »

I move that Unbreakable is banned for using the term "Sugary snack".

biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 02:44:17 PM »

I have been reading and not psoting mucha round here, but I thought I would share my two pennies of comments.

LE does seem to write with some degree of intelligence.  Sure he may not play a game and bash on it.  You know how to make his posts irrelevant, do not reply to his post in question.  I have found that when people's comments are ignored, they move on.  When you reply directly to him, you fuel the fire so to speak.  Stay on the subject of the original post no matter who comes in to shake it up.

Soemtimes you just have to say people are who they are and get over it.  From what I have read of LE's initial posts on games, they are usually the same.  So do not be so shocked when he posts the negative comments, when you know they are just around the corner.

Enjoy life and overlook the the ones who annoy you.

Michael Haniotes

"When you woke up this morning you put your faith in something or someone, what or who was it?"
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 07:44:34 PM »

I think my response in the thread about Dark Messiah of MIght and Magic sums up the problem most people have.  The Oblivion thread isn't an isolated incident - it's a trait that shows up fairly consistently in his posts.

....your condescending attitude towards anything that doesn't meet with your stamp of approval, and your belittling (directly or indirectly) of those that may disagree. If you don't like a game or a game concept, that's fine - but there's no need to beat people over the head with it or insult them in a passive-agressive manner for having differing tastes.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 04:38:58 AM »

unless he crosses the CoC

Unless he crosses the what?!

I'd hardly call LE a troll, if he just registered and had around 15 posts all derailing threads, then yeah, sure.. but so what if he doesn't like Oblivion? He's allowed to express that opinion just as much as anybody else here.

Personally I'm enjoying the hell out of Oblivion but I don't care if someone else doesn't like it. What's that got to do with us?
We already know from actually playing it that it's a good game!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 05:17:37 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I think my response in the thread about Dark Messiah of MIght and Magic sums up the problem most people have.  The Oblivion thread isn't an isolated incident - it's a trait that shows up fairly consistently in his posts.

....your condescending attitude towards anything that doesn't meet with your stamp of approval, and your belittling (directly or indirectly) of those that may disagree. If you don't like a game or a game concept, that's fine - but there's no need to beat people over the head with it or insult them in a passive-agressive manner for having differing tastes.

QFT

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

I think this thread has run its course.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend