http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 02:57:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: university blocking gamingtrend  (Read 405 times)
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »

gamingtrend stopped working at my university a few weeks ago.  I thought the site was just down.
Finally got around to pulling it up at home, and find that it IS up.

I inquired with our fine ITS security folk, and it ends up that gamingtrend is being blocked as a botnet.
I figure if it's happening at my school, I'm sure it's getting blocked other places.

The exact response I got was:

"Made it on to our reputation list for being part of a botnet…with a pretty high score at that.
Their IP’s showed up on EmergingThreats and SANS"

Not sure what, if anything, admins can do to get the site off those lists, but just wanted to let someone know this was happening.

Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »

I think Ron mentioned he's heading out of country on a biz trip soon but I'm sure he'll want to know about this and appreciates your pointing it out.  icon_smile

A moderator will probably move this over to the forum and site feedback section: http://gamingtrend.com/forums/forum-and-site-feedback/

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »

so this answer the question behind Ceekay.  'he' was hosted on their servers the whole time and using the power of the cloud to post at all hours of the day.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 02, 2014, 04:48:49 PM

so this answer the question behind Ceekay.  'he' was hosted on their servers the whole time and using the power of the cloud to post at all hours of the day.

Are you saying Ceekay is like that Johnny Depp character in the new movie Transcendence??!??!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 02, 2014, 04:52:37 PM

Quote from: Caine on April 02, 2014, 04:48:49 PM

Are you saying Ceekay is like that Johnny Depp character in the new movie Transcendence??!??!

I don't know, haven't seen the movie yet.  it did have an interesting poster though

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:27:20 PM »

Quote from: gangeli on April 02, 2014, 03:36:16 PM

gamingtrend stopped working at my university a few weeks ago.  I thought the site was just down.
Finally got around to pulling it up at home, and find that it IS up.

I inquired with our fine ITS security folk, and it ends up that gamingtrend is being blocked as a botnet.
I figure if it's happening at my school, I'm sure it's getting blocked other places.

The exact response I got was:

"Made it on to our reputation list for being part of a botnet…with a pretty high score at that.
Their IP’s showed up on EmergingThreats and SANS"

Not sure what, if anything, admins can do to get the site off those lists, but just wanted to let someone know this was happening.

Lovely. Yet another ringing endorsement for our co-location facility. We've had problems of a similar nature before this, and we've been poking at some other services for a while now, I imagine this will prompt Ron to accelerate that when he gets back.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:29:02 AM »

Wouldn't the IP that the university sees be the Cloudflare IP address(es)? Aren't they effectively reverse proxying all of the connections to the GT hosts themselves?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 03, 2014, 05:29:02 AM

Wouldn't the IP that the university sees be the Cloudflare IP address(es)? Aren't they effectively reverse proxying all of the connections to the GT hosts themselves?

Yea, that's exactly right - they wouldn't see our box IP, but Cloudflare's.   They are likely blocking thousands of legitimate sources if they are blocking cloudflare....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: