http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 04:39:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The endless "This thread shoudl be somewhere else" discussion  (Read 1084 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »

So, I'm getting rather tired of the constant "why did you post this thread" or "there's too many of this and that"....

seriosuly - why is this an issue? If you dont like a thread, dont read it. I for one cant be bothered at times to dig through 17 pages of text to see if something has been posted before, if it seems relevant to post it in a new thread.

Live and let die people... (unless the mods say otherwise of course)

A new one
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »

while Ron's servers can handle it quite well, to me it's more of a less cluttered look.  So if I posted something in one thread, and there's a similar thread somewhere, I'm going to have to remember where my response is.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 21, 2009, 10:02:38 AM

So, I'm getting rather tired of the constant "why did you post this thread" or "there's too many of this and that"....

seriosuly - why is this an issue? If you dont like a thread, dont read it. I for one cant be bothered at times to dig through 17 pages of text to see if something has been posted before, if it seems relevant to post it in a new thread.

There's also a search function to streamline the scavenger hunt in looking for already-posted topics.  But thread repetition is primarily pointed out when numerous threads on the same topic are all on the same page.  Rarely will you see it mentioned if you dug through 17 pages of text to see if something had already been posted and decided to start a conversation anew.  But if there are multiple threads on a topic and yet another is started, people are less interested in digging through 17 threads on a topic to find what they're looking for just as you don't want to dig through 17 pages of text to see if something was already posted.

Dragon Age is a perfect example, as we had a number of threads all about the same game.  If the different threads were unrelated due to their very specific topics of discussion, fine.  But since they could have easily been condensed into one game-related thread it seemed like overkill to have so many different threads all about the same topic.  It bordered on ridiculous.

If posting within a thread and you inadvertantly post the same thing as someone else had twelve pages ago, then I completely understand your perspective.  It's tough to sift through so much text to find what you're looking for (although the search function can be helpful in these cases, just as long as you search for the right terms).  Someone could have covered your question many pages ago, but sometimes it is more efficient or helpful to bring it up again in the same thread, especially for your own edification.  But I think the issue is more a problem with multiple threads rather than repetitive posts within a topic or thread.

Just my $0.02. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 22, 2009, 04:41:58 PM

There's also a search function to streamline the scavenger hunt in looking for already-posted topics.  But thread repetition is primarily pointed out when numerous threads on the same topic are all on the same page.  Rarely will you see it mentioned if you dug through 17 pages of text to see if something had already been posted and decided to start a conversation anew.  But if there are multiple threads on a topic and yet another is started, people are less interested in digging through 17 threads on a topic to find what they're looking for just as you don't want to dig through 17 pages of text to see if something was already posted.

Dragon Age is a perfect example, as we had a number of threads all about the same game.  If the different threads were unrelated due to their very specific topics of discussion, fine.  But since they could have easily been condensed into one game-related thread it seemed like overkill to have so many different threads all about the same topic.  It bordered on ridiculous.

If posting within a thread and you inadvertantly post the same thing as someone else had twelve pages ago, then I completely understand your perspective.  It's tough to sift through so much text to find what you're looking for (although the search function can be helpful in these cases, just as long as you search for the right terms).  Someone could have covered your question many pages ago, but sometimes it is more efficient or helpful to bring it up again in the same thread, especially for your own edification.  But I think the issue is more a problem with multiple threads rather than repetitive posts within a topic or thread.

Just my $0.02. 

This.

And with the multiple threads on a single page, other threads get lost in the shuffle.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:22:30 PM »

Perhaps we should have an "unreleased games" forum to stop cluttering things up a bit? ;-)

As for Dragon age specifically, we have what, 3 threads?? One for tips and tricks, one for troubleshooting, and one for the game on PC and one of Console, but thats the only one in the console section. How is that an issue? Its actually pretty nice and giving a good and concise uncluttered way of accesing the information you'r after.  Having one giant thread with all of these things seems very counter-productive.

Anyways, I just get annoyed at the constant bickering there is when someone dares to make a thread about something someone else disagrees with should have been there in the first place.

And if people have trouble finding what they are looking for, because of too many threads, well - there is as a number of you mention, a search function.

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 11:38:04 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 22, 2009, 10:22:30 PM

Perhaps we should have an "unreleased games" forum to stop cluttering things up a bit? ;-)

As for Dragon age specifically, we have what, 3 threads?? One for tips and tricks, one for troubleshooting, and one for the game on PC and one of Console, but thats the only one in the console section. How is that an issue? Its actually pretty nice and giving a good and concise uncluttered way of accesing the information you'r after.  Having one giant thread with all of these things seems very counter-productive.

Anyways, I just get annoyed at the constant bickering there is when someone dares to make a thread about something someone else disagrees with should have been there in the first place.

And if people have trouble finding what they are looking for, because of too many threads, well - there is as a number of you mention, a search function.

If you used the search engine, you would see that there are at least 11 threads on Dragon Age in the PC section.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 11:39:01 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 22, 2009, 10:22:30 PM

Actually, there were four or five just in the console section alone.  Most felt the topic repetition was excessive and counter-productive.

The bickering only begins when people are unwilling to do their homework before posting.  Repetition is unnecessary and inefficient.

And bitching about bitching is unnecessary bitching.

I for one cant be bothered at times to dig through 17 pages of text to see if something has been posted before....

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:23:02 AM »

this part was just me trying to be funny - oh well.... Should've put a smiley in there I guess

Anyways, I'll stop "bitching" then, if this is the way people want it. :-)

EDIT: Added a smiley since I seem to come off rather hostile, even to me!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:12:29 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: