http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 12:40:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: starting new threads  (Read 3972 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 18, 2009, 08:31:41 PM

Quote from: Moliere on March 17, 2009, 07:56:03 PM

Quote from: Shinjin on March 17, 2009, 07:34:09 PM

With all due respect, derailing a thread about a popcorn flick with the expectation of a deep philisophical discussion is just kind of ... odd.
I did it because the question is interesting to me and because I like to shock people into thinking about something they might not have considered before.

What you should have done was to create a new thread, instead of going OOT here.  Now that there is such thread, everyone please stay on topic and post in the appropriate thread.

Instead of being accused of continuing to be off topic I will start a new thread here. I disagree with this "should have done" sentiment. I was on topic talking about a specific scene in the movie. It was a relevant question. Should EngineNo9 have started a new thread about Nick Cage's acting because he wasn't discussing the specific movie "Knowing"?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:27:07 PM »

if you are talking about a movie in a movie thread...don't know why you would want to create a new thread.  If it becomes an issue...i guess you can create a new thread.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:41:13 AM »

Heeey, don't drag me into this!  Tongue  My comment was just me saying that no matter the content of the movie I can't overlook Nicolas Cage's bad acting so I won't be seeing it.  I watched the trailer and what I posted was what came to mind.  Seemed like the appropriate place at the time.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:03:30 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 19, 2009, 06:41:13 AM

Heeey, don't drag me into this!  Tongue  My comment was just me saying that no matter the content of the movie I can't overlook Nicolas Cage's bad acting so I won't be seeing it.  I watched the trailer and what I posted was what came to mind.  Seemed like the appropriate place at the time.

dude, starting a new thread to proclaim your innocence would have been the right thing to do  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »

Looked like your thoughts belonged in the thread to me.  If the original poster nicely said he intended the thread to be for inane Nicholas Cage bashing and asked you to take your philosophical discussion elsewhere then yeah, nice gesture to create a new thread.  Didn't seem to warrant a moderator slap on the wrist.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:15:53 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on March 18, 2009, 09:24:23 PM

Quote from: naednek on March 18, 2009, 08:31:41 PM

Quote from: Moliere on March 17, 2009, 07:56:03 PM

Quote from: Shinjin on March 17, 2009, 07:34:09 PM

With all due respect, derailing a thread about a popcorn flick with the expectation of a deep philisophical discussion is just kind of ... odd.
I did it because the question is interesting to me and because I like to shock people into thinking about something they might not have considered before.

What you should have done was to create a new thread, instead of going OOT here.  Now that there is such thread, everyone please stay on topic and post in the appropriate thread.

Instead of being accused of continuing to be off topic I will start a new thread here. I disagree with this "should have done" sentiment. I was on topic talking about a specific scene in the movie. It was a relevant question. Should EngineNo9 have started a new thread about Nick Cage's acting because he wasn't discussing the specific movie "Knowing"?

First, I thought your question was valid, and with someone about to have a baby this year, I found it to be interesting since I'll be dealing with that issue in the near future.  With that said, I can see your point, while you were on topic as far as what happens in the movie, I think we both see how the issue you brought up goes beyond the movie and and into a deeper territory.  Now that doesn't mean your opinion shouldn't have been posted there, looking back, I was wrong, but I think after the conversation taking a life on its own, I though it should have been moved to a different thread rather than derailing the original thread.  Which was eventually done, but it was a bit late at that point.

Our COC discusses this, please note I don't think you intentionally hijacked the thread, so ignore the first part Tongue

Stay on Topic
Do not intentionally hijack threads.  It is very easy to switch topics within a thread, it's not fair to the original poster.  If you like to discuss something else, please create a new thread.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 04:33:58 PM »

Most of the threads are pretty free-flowing on here with stream of conciousness interruptions. Unless the OP has an issue and tries to get back on topic, there's nothing wrong with digressions or total changes of topic.  It's how conversation works...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 19, 2009, 01:15:53 PM

about to have a baby this year,

see? ken is preggers so mood swings are normal  icon_twisted  Tongue

* CeeKay puts away the R&P guide to quoting out of context

FWIW it didn't bother me at all, god knows I've done it myself enough times.

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 05:52:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 19, 2009, 04:59:53 PM

god knows I've done it myself enough times.
Say it ain't so!   icon_eek

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »

yes...ceekay just admitted to derailing topics........

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on March 19, 2009, 06:59:37 PM

I added that to the calendar for you.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 01:04:13 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 19, 2009, 07:26:20 PM

Quote from: papasmurff on March 19, 2009, 06:59:37 PM

I added that to the calendar for you.

does anyone even use that thing anyways?   maybe we should discuss removing it to save cycles or something.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: