http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 09:07:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Server / Gaming Trend State of the Union Address (BIG Update 12/15)  (Read 7453 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 07:35:05 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on July 21, 2010, 05:43:25 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on July 21, 2010, 05:08:35 PM

A little late to the party, but yeah - option 3 is a no-brainer. We'll make it happen. If nothing else I can sell autographs.

How would we raise the other $1,108.00?  icon_wink

oh BURN!  High five!

let me see what I can scratch up.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 21, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Agreed.  I'll start the drive today as it seems the consensus is option 3 (whether we build or buy is dependent on the amount raised)  I'll put the info into the first post.

Awesome.  Donation sent.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »

Would there maybe be a way to put a little badge or medal or something by your forum name here if you've donated some money?...
Absolutely.  That is very easy to do.  What sort of badge would you like?  I'd like something other than just a star (the default).   I can also do custom forum tags as well.
Here's a couple examples of small (I'm not thinking big "sig badges,") "badge" type things I've seen at forums. Sometimes it's just to denote someone is a dev or official representative, other times it's maybe to denote someone has passed a certain posting threshold (yeah I know, CeeKay would need his own special badge in that situation) icon_wink

*This guy had a slim "label badge" that says "support" on it. If it doesn't devour bandwidth, maybe something like that that just says "GT Supporter," "GT Organ Donor," "I helped Ron avoid selling the shirt off his back for server parts," etc.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?P=4296ae39c677dea8908ac28772b42ebe&topic=272137.msg1781730#msg1781730

*This South African forum had some larger - maybe too large - badges (maybe something like that with the GT logo instead of that yellow triangle thingie might work):
http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthread.php?39890-Forum-Badges-Problem

I do realize doing this would also add some administrative headaches as far as keeping track of who's donating and such.

My other thought is that if Ron knows where he would like to source the server parts from, maybe there's some way we can buy gift cards to whatever place that is (if they offer that)? If anyone's squeamish about checks, PayPal or whatever, then maybe that would be another way to contribute.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:40:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »

Shit!  If this was occurring in two or three months' time I would be able to throw in a significant sum of cash.  I assume October will be too late?  Sorry, Ron.  I still agree with the fundraising drive though.  Didn't plaques for financial contributors in a certain part of the website work for GG?

Actually, if you can code an "ignore Ceekay" function I'm sure I could scrape together a pile of cash to have it.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 10:10:08 PM »

So far we've scraped together 250 dollars thanks to forum donations.  I talked with a company that seemed willing to give me a substantial amount for the 2850 I mentioned above, so we may be on our way to a very powerful server.  He is getting some quotes together to email me tomorrow.   As far as donations go, any little bit helps.  If our reviews have saved you from buying a terrible game you otherwise would have, consider that in your decision.  Any little bit helps - let's keep up the momentum and really build something awesome that'll last us the next 5 years.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 11:31:40 PM »

I think you should have rewards for donations.  Like $XX unlocks shirtless pictures of Knightshade Dragon.  And $XXX unlocks CK's home address (for stalkers).   icon_twisted

OK, that was it for my lame jokes, I'll go hit the paypal!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 21, 2010, 11:31:40 PM

I think you should have rewards for donations.  Like $XX unlocks shirtless pictures of Knightshade Dragon.  And $XXX unlocks CK's home address (for stalkers).   icon_twisted

OK, that was it for my lame jokes, I'll go hit the paypal!

Let me finish this Insanity workout a few times. slywink 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2010, 11:58:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 21, 2010, 04:39:27 PM

Nothing's going to happen until we get a really cool fundraising on the front page. Any fundraising effort worth anything has a big fat .

CeeKayified.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2010, 12:28:37 AM »

I'll donate as soon as I get paid on the 30th. Lord knows I've received enough entertainment and free swag from this site to justify a contribution. (Though I'm knocking off $10 for having to review Red Bull BC One).

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2010, 01:01:40 AM »

I sent a little bit in. As much as I could without risking Wife Wrath.  icon_biggrin

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »

Folks might see if a local bank has a free coin-counting machine. I seem to pile up a good $20-$40 in change terribly quickly. I mean, if 100 members rang up $20 apiece in change (and then did check, money order, PayPal or whatever to donate), that's $2,000+ right there.

And no, don't mail Ron a box of 200,000 pennies. I don't think he'd appreciate it.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »

And no, don't mail Ron a box of 200,000 pennies. I don't think he'd appreciate it.  icon_razz

Doesn't mean I wouldn't take it though!   icon_biggrin

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2010, 03:42:31 PM »

Ok, I got the power supply, RAID cage, and lowest end PCI-E graphics card into the figures in case we end up assembling it ourselves.   If it comes to that, I'll ask if anyone has any of the components lying around spare before we begin to try to defray some of the cost as well. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on a price comparison of "cloud" hosting vs the co-lo setup.

LiveTAG: happydog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »

Quote from: happydog on July 22, 2010, 05:59:09 PM

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on a price comparison of "cloud" hosting vs the co-lo setup.

I'd be interested in somebody with an actual cloud that won't shut down my site the second we reach beyond an unnamed threshold.  (I'm still feeling burned from VSS)   Seriously though, if you've got a cloud company we could trust, I might consider it.   Amazon does something like that I think but I've never checked the pricing...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 22, 2010, 06:29:43 PM

I'd be interested in somebody with an actual cloud that won't shut down my site the second we reach beyond an unnamed threshold.  (I'm still feeling burned from VSS)   Seriously though, if you've got a cloud company we could trust, I might consider it.   Amazon does something like that I think but I've never checked the pricing...
Boom! (Is this it?)

Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing

*I confess I no more understand cloud computing than I understand warp drives.  retard
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:37:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2010, 06:48:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 22, 2010, 06:31:50 PM

I'd be interested in somebody with an actual cloud that won't shut down my site the second we reach beyond an unnamed threshold.  (I'm still feeling burned from VSS)   Seriously though, if you've got a cloud company we could trust, I might consider it.   Amazon does something like that I think but I've never checked the pricing...
Boom! (Is this it?)

*I confess I no more understand cloud computing than I understand warp drives.  retard

We'd be in the high-memory app pool.  That's 50 cents a hour * 24 hours * 31 days = $372 a month for the server.  I'm gonna go with nooooooo.

smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »

I've got an EVGA 8800GTS 320MB card collecting dust if you need it or I'll ship it to whomever wants if for a donation to the cause.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »

Quote from: DOSHIGH on July 22, 2010, 07:11:49 PM

I've got an EVGA 8800GTS 320MB card collecting dust if you need it or I'll ship it to whomever wants if for a donation to the cause.

That'd be awesome!  Hold on to it until the donation side of things runs its course and I'll bet we'll make use of it.  It'd be our "DOSHIGH Graphics Card".  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »

I have a load of USB cables!  Any good?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »

I have a PS/2 keyboard! No?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2010, 08:42:33 PM »

Where'd I put that cassette tape drive?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »

Hey, the total is now over $400!  (for those who aren't checking back with the first post)  Woohoo, let's keep it up!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 22, 2010, 06:48:09 PM

Boom! (Is this it?)

We'd be in the high-memory app pool.  That's 50 cents a hour * 24 hours * 31 days = $372 a month for the server.  I'm gonna go with nooooooo.

smile

You need 17GB of RAM? Maybe you are misreading something or I am missing something, but that doesn't sound right.

I would think the Standard Large instance would more than cover the CPU/RAM needs:
7.5 GB memory
4 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2 EC2 Compute Units each)
850 GB instance storage (2420 GB plus 10 GB root partition)
64-bit platform
I/O Performance: High

$0.34 per hour.

But unless I am mistaken, the bandwidth costs could also change. Can we get a breakdown of current bandwidth costs, average/max bandwidth needs (in and out)? And while we are at it, what about the storage needs?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2010, 12:41:27 AM »

Quote from: happydog on July 23, 2010, 12:17:52 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 22, 2010, 06:48:09 PM

Boom! (Is this it?)

smile

You need 17GB of RAM? Maybe you are misreading something or I am missing something, but that doesn't sound right.

I would think the Standard Large instance would more than cover the CPU/RAM needs:
7.5 GB memory
4 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2 EC2 Compute Units each)
850 GB instance storage (2420 GB plus 10 GB root partition)
64-bit platform
I/O Performance: High

$0.34 per hour.

But unless I am mistaken, the bandwidth costs could also change. Can we get a breakdown of current bandwidth costs, average/max bandwidth needs (in and out)? And while we are at it, what about the storage needs?

Not sure where you dug that out of but I wasn't able to find it.  We are using roughly 2.5GB constantly with that rising closer to 4GB during peak.  7.5 would be fine.  As far as bandwidth, we've hit closer to our 1.4TB of data during E3 times every year.  We hit 99% of it when Bethesda gave us the exclusives on Oblivion.  In is actually pretty variable, but assume maybe 20 GB (uploading videos, screenshots, etc.) with that rising closer to 100GB with what I intend to do with the site.    Even at 34 cents an hour that comes out to $252.96 though.  A great price, but still far more than our current or proposed costs.  Cloud is awesome, but still out of our reach right now.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2010, 04:33:41 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 22, 2010, 08:42:33 PM

Where'd I put that cassette tape drive?
I have a 1988 British-made Amstrad greenscreen world processor with amazing nearly CGA graphics adventure games on proprietary 3" cartridges and the world's loudest dot matrix printer! And a 1979 Pioneer turntable with incredible "touch sensor" technology! And the Duck Hunt Crap portion of my 1985 NES! What? No? Sigh.  tear icon_lol

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2010, 12:54:46 PM »

You, like I, will need to wait until my payday for my contribution. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 23, 2010, 12:54:46 PM

You, like I, will need to wait until my payday for my contribution. Tongue

I suspect that'll be the case for many.   That's why I'm running this for a month before we move forward. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 23, 2010, 12:41:27 AM

Not sure where you dug that out of but I wasn't able to find it.  We are using roughly 2.5GB constantly with that rising closer to 4GB during peak.  7.5 would be fine.  As far as bandwidth, we've hit closer to our 1.4TB of data during E3 times every year.  We hit 99% of it when Bethesda gave us the exclusives on Oblivion.  In is actually pretty variable, but assume maybe 20 GB (uploading videos, screenshots, etc.) with that rising closer to 100GB with what I intend to do with the site.    Even at 34 cents an hour that comes out to $252.96 though.  A great price, but still far more than our current or proposed costs.  Cloud is awesome, but still out of our reach right now.

I did a quick mock pricing and based on a lot of guessing you would probably hit about $300/month at a peak. Too bad. Cloud offers so much versatility.
I will see what I can do for a donation. (I might have to give up on a new phone frown)

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »

A quick update - we are now just over 500 bucks on the server fund!  Thanks so much guys.    Crusis has generously offered up some raffle options that we'll be assembling this week.  (Hint:  It'll involve zombies I'm told)  I'm going to be putting a few games up for sale, and I'm liking the 'yard sale' idea that a few of you threw out.  Let's coordinate that and make it happen!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »

Donation sent...hope it helps KD.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2010, 01:33:36 AM »

I've posted the update for the evening - thanks to everyone who has donated so far - it's been a great help!  We are making great progress folks...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2010, 09:36:53 PM »

I updated the amount and also posted up a big update on the gear we'll likely be getting.  We are VERY close and I'm sure we can hit that amount with a month's worth of fundraising and some community yardsailing amongst ourselves. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2010, 11:43:58 PM »

Awesome.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2010, 12:00:43 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 28, 2010, 09:36:53 PM

some community yardsailing amongst ourselves. 

yardsailing?  do they have a yard club for that?  perhaps some yard racing for the Mulch Cup! Tongue

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2010, 12:20:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 29, 2010, 12:00:43 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 28, 2010, 09:36:53 PM

some community yardsailing amongst ourselves. 

yardsailing?  do they have a yard club for that?  perhaps some yard racing for the Mulch Cup! Tongue

Bathtub, broomstick, bedsheet, and a cape.  Get with the program CeeKay....geeze...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2010, 02:30:36 AM »

I've updated the amount - we are within striking distance of closing this out.  I'm going to pull the games I've got in the trading forum and see if I can scrape some cash from eBay for em.  I'm excited about this opportunity and I think you'll all be very happy with the results. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »

going to send some fund via PayPal, just waiting for them to process the funds I added.

[edit]they're estimating the 11th now.  stupid PayPal, should've just sent a check.  first and last time I use them to send money.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:59:34 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »

I've updated our first post - we are very close on this!  I'm thinking we should be able to close this out in a few more weeks and pull the trigger on the hardware.  Mike is revving up the software side of things (as well as moving to a new home/job) so things are really looking up!  Thanks to everyone for their donations - it is appreciated more than you know.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2010, 07:56:47 PM

going to send some fund via PayPal, just waiting for them to process the funds I added.

[edit]they're estimating the 11th now.  stupid PayPal, should've just sent a check.  first and last time I use them to send money.

sent!

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: