http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:17:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screen shots  (Read 3803 times)
happydog
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2004, 09:13:25 PM »

Could you implement a next/previous for the screen shots. I love the thumbnail view, but once I click on one I would like to be able to just hit next to see the rest.

Thanks.  smile

LiveTAG: happydog
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 07:03:23 AM »

I was about to suggest this too.  

Also during your interview or articles, you might want to throw in some screenshots to supplement it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 07:09:20 AM »

Noted.  We will look into these ideas post-E3.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 05:38:43 AM »

Quote from: "happydog"
Could you implement a next/previous for the screen shots. I love the thumbnail view, but once I click on one I would like to be able to just hit next to see the rest.

Thanks.  smile
FYI - I have been doing some experimentation on this. But still haven't found a solution that I'm really happy with. The easiest solution for me would be to handle with a little bit of javascript, but that would mean breakage for people using alternative devices (such as I do when I access the site via my pda/phone) or for people who have disabled JS. I have a few server side-side methods but none that feel elegant yet.

I will make it happen though. Just a matter of time.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 01:56:17 AM »

I just wanted to thank the person responsible for the "Old School" pics in the E3 gallery.  Excellent stuff there.  The museum undoubtedly has a website which I am about to search for.  Thanks!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 11:54:41 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I just wanted to thank the person responsible for the "Old School" pics in the E3 gallery.  Excellent stuff there.  The museum undoubtedly has a website which I am about to search for.  Thanks!

*bows*

You had absolutely no idea how old I felt when I visited that place on Thursday, as I had played quite a few of the consoles there during my life so far. The best part? They had most of the consoles actually hooked up and playable just a few feet away. Such an amazing throwback to videogaming history.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 09:27:21 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

You had absolutely no idea how old I felt when I visited that place on Thursday, as I had played quite a few of the consoles there during my life so far. The best part? They had most of the consoles actually hooked up and playable just a few feet away. Such an amazing throwback to videogaming history.

I feel the same way.  I remember being a kid looking in the game store window and dreaming of being rich enough to afford a TurboDuo with the TV tuner.  Before getting a NES I would fall asleed dreaming of Super Mario Bros.  My first GameBoy!!!  It was a walk down memory lane just seeing some of that stuff.  I'm not quite Colecovision old, but I feel it.  Five or six console generations later...

CGE2K4, the site for the Classic Gaming Expo, which put on the display.

Thanks again.  I wouldn't have known about it otherwise!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 06:31:25 PM »

I wanted to post the same request as the one that starts this thread:  navigation through the screenshots would be awesome.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 01:57:54 AM »

Came in to comment on the issue of having to go "back" to the index screen between each screenshot and found this thread.  It's quite maddening, really.

So, KD, is it post E3 yet?  :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 04:27:44 AM »

Hell, its pre-e3 at this point. slywink  We've got some preliminary code in the hopper that El has to look over.  Don't worry, its not dead in the water.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 03:38:24 PM »

Bump.  biggrin

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 04:54:16 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Bump.  biggrin

Yeah yeah - i know.   smile

I actually just got the "next image" / "prev image" icons from Mike a day or so ago, and I was actually going to just launch it this week as an E3 gift - but since you gave me the bump - figured i'd let the cat out of the bag.

I'll post here once it's up.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 12:50:46 PM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Bump.  biggrin

Yeah yeah - i know.   smile

I actually just got the "next image" / "prev image" icons from Mike a day or so ago, and I was actually going to just launch it this week as an E3 gift - but since you gave me the bump - figured i'd let the cat out of the bag.

I'll post here once it's up.

biggrin  Sorry to spoil the surprise.  With all the E3 talk lately, it reminded me of this thread, and I felt obligated to find it and bump.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 01:20:44 PM »

every time I look at screenshots I'm reminded of this thread...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 10:14:14 PM »

I just finished up what I think was the last of the code that was still in queue in front of the screenshot buttons (see Game Coverage listings in the E3 Sections now)

So barring any bugs or other pieces of development I'm forgetting - screenshot next / right buttons are next on the list.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 03:22:12 AM »

Okay

Against my better judgement at writing code when I'm this tired.

I popped in some basic code for next / prev on the screenshots and e3 photos sections.  Everything looks like it's working groovy so I'll let it loose and let you guys tell me if you see any problems.

I got a nagging fear about one potential bug where the DB potentially could have failed to delete a reference to a corrupted screenshot (sigh - what I wouldn't give for transaction support in our DB).  These wouldn't show up in the normal thumbnail views however it's *posssible* they could show in the next / previous buttons.

If you see any oddness that's repeatable - please post in here and let me know which game it was so I can look into it.

Gracias
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 03:28:23 AM »

looks good, one thing though... since the pictures aren't all the same size the buttons move up and down... I wouldn't have to move my mouse if the buttons were at the top smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 03:33:50 AM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
looks good, one thing though... since the pictures aren't all the same size the buttons move up and down... I wouldn't have to move my mouse if the buttons were at the top smile

I thought about throwing them above and below each shot but thought that might be overkill.

thoughts??
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 03:39:33 AM »

ask somebody with some design sense, I work on AI/rules based systems - I don't do interfaces slywink

I just know I'm lazy and moving my mouse is hard work... perhaps having the buttons top and bottom wouldn't be overkil if they were scaled down some? My desktop rez is 1600x1200 and they still seem kinda big.

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 03:44:13 AM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
ask somebody with some design sense, I work on AI/rules based systems - I don't do interfaces slywink

I just know I'm lazy and moving my mouse is hard work... perhaps having the buttons top and bottom wouldn't be overkil if they were scaled down some? My desktop rez is 1600x1200 and they still seem kinda big.

They're the official Fisher Price "My First Next / Prev Screenshot Buttons"  slywink

I'm just the coder, I don't make any of the graphics.

Anyways...

As a test - I just modified the E3 photos to also throw the buttons up top. That way people can respond as to which way they like it better.

Having them up top does make it easier to scan through the booth babes and only scroll down for the ones that deserve a better look  slywink
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 07:09:06 AM »

this is definitely an improvement i've thought would be nice on many occassions...and it seems to be working great.  nice work DarkEL!

i'll also agree with coopasonic...buttons above the picture are much more convenient.  with them up top, you can quickly click through the pictures without having to scroll to the bottom or move your mouse when the image size changes.  i checked out the E3 photos section and think it's perfect Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 02:07:49 PM »

Rcvd several messages all saying that above would be better. So added the buttons above the screenshots as well.

So now the only question is whether or not to leave the buttons below the images as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: