http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How should we handle portable gaming and cell phone apps and games?
All non-PC or MMO Games go in console gaming, Apps go in off-topic. (No Change) - 5 (21.7%)
Add a Portable Gaming, and all hand-held and smartphone games go in there. (Add Portable Gaming) - 2 (8.7%)
Add a Portable Gaming, and all hand-held and smartphone Games and APPS go in there. (Add Portable Gaming & Apps) - 10 (43.5%)
Add a Portable Gaming for handheld gaming systems (DSi, 3Ds, PSP, Vita, etc).  Add a Smartphone/Tablet section which covers all games and APPS for smartphones and Tablet gaming. (Add Portable Gaming, Smartphone/Tablet Software) - 3 (13%)
Whoa, there are different sections? I just use "show unread".  (No change) - 0 (0%)
I'm indifferent. (No Vote) - 1 (4.3%)
I'm strongly opposed to those sections, moreso than the first option. - 2 (8.7%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable Gaming - Should it have its own section?  (Read 1244 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »

So the question has come up, and I've seconded, where the portable gaming (and possibly phone/tablet gaming) should be broken out into its own sub-forum.

Before you vote, consider this:

The iPhone gaming thread is very long, and the discussions about the games are hard to find given they are all under the same thread. Also, there is no section that really fits "application" discussion since it really isn't gaming. Hardware/Software hell (if there are problems), or Off Topic for the app recommendations.

I'm not suggesting that our mods go through and invest much time in moving *all threads* that have related to this, but of course the big ones might be considered.

I am not so passionate about the separation that it would make me happy or sad should it occur, so don't think voting NO! will hurt my feelings  ( so this should remove that incentive  icon_lol).

Would you find it useful to be able to create threads about one game or app in its own section?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »

This poll structure has been brought to you by:

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:52:56 PM »

Only problem with your poll is someone can vote for "I'm indifferent" and then vote for something else that shows they're not indifferent.  icon_smile

I suggested a "movies and TV" section years ago. I think that would get at least half, if not more, of the threads out of the off-topic section and make it a little easier to find things. Nobody seemed to agree and people seem happy to have a bunch of stuff in off-topic. While I suspect the response to your idea on portable gaming will be the same, I support your suggestion, fwiw.  icon_smile

While I trend to treat Hardware/Software Hell as a general discussion forum for all sorts of computer hardware and cellphones and the like, nowadays all that is going into Off-Topic, and to me it just makes it harder and harder to find things. You can of course do a search but the forum search is imperfect. Sometimes it won't find stuff that I KNOW is here somewhere.

I think people just are concerned about "over-categorizing" forums to the point that certain areas have too little "traffic." So it's just not something I try to fight for anymore.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »

how about apps discussions go into Hardware/Software Hell?

Hardware / Software Hell
Hardware and Non-Gaming Software discussion and help. Let us help spend your money and fix it when you break it!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »

Any movement on this?  I really think it's time for a dedicated forum.  Particularly with Android now also becoming a platform/player, and the introduction of things like games specifically for Tegra 3, it seems like portable gaming is really "blowing up" so to speak. 

If you call it portable, maybe you add things like tablets of all sizes, 3DS and Vita to the list to really round it out.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:23:40 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 10, 2012, 07:25:20 PM

Any movement on this?  I really think it's time for a dedicated forum.  Particularly with Android now also becoming a platform/player, and the introduction of things like games specifically for Tegra 3, it seems like portable gaming is really "blowing up" so to speak. 

If you call it portable, maybe you add things like tablets of all sizes, 3DS and Vita to the list to really round it out.

With the staff back from vacation, I'll talk it over with the team and announce something formal by the weekend.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: