http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 02:29:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our new site design is LIVE!!!!  (Read 1324 times)
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2013, 02:03:38 AM »

Hey guys. You should check out our front page and take a look at all the hard work Mike has done to redesign it. We're hoping that this design will highlight our original content, and allow our readers to see a ton of stuff all at once, and keep clicking around, reading stories.

Notice the bar that sticks at the top of the site as you scroll down. We've got some other stuff coming up in the next few weeks that we'll be rolling out that will help unify the rest of the site with our new redesign.

Please, let us know if you have any problems with it. List your operating system and browser with the problem you experience.

Hope you like it!

icon_biggrin

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »

.... I like it.   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:08:23 AM »

posted this in the other thread, but it fits better here:

pros and cons that I see (I'm assuming this is a work in progress and you'll be looking for feedback):

thumbsdown the light blue or light grey text on a white background used for categories, dates and names is not visually friendly.

icon_neutral miss the quick text blurbs for everything but I imagine the articles will get more page hits that way.

icon_confused the tooltip that pops up for each article says 'permalink to xxxx'.  should that be popping up like that?

thumbsup like the scrolling for the reviews, but...

icon_frown to me it seems poorly placed; 4 news bits then 2 rows of reviews then more news.  maybe if the review bar was placed and scrolled vertically on the side (remember, some people like it vertical slywink)?  not sure what resoultion you are optimizing the page for, but if it is 1920x1080 or higher you got room on either side.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 03:19:05 AM »

Hmm, not lookin right in iOS Chrome:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:04:20 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 06, 2013, 03:19:05 AM

Yep, we are working on launching a mobile-friendly version very soon and that'll address what you are seeing.  And I don't mean a "it kinda works", I mean a fully-responsive and well-structured mobile site.   This is just the first step towards that - the mobile version is coming very soon.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:05:12 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 06, 2013, 02:08:23 AM

pros and cons that I see (I'm assuming this is a work in progress and you'll be looking for feedback):

thumbsdown the light blue or light grey text on a white background used for categories, dates and names is not visually friendly.

icon_neutral miss the quick text blurbs for everything but I imagine the articles will get more page hits that way.

icon_confused the tooltip that pops up for each article says 'permalink to xxxx'.  should that be popping up like that?

icon_frown to me it seems poorly placed; 4 news bits then 2 rows of reviews then more news.  maybe if the review bar was placed and scrolled vertically on the side (remember, some people like it vertical slywink)?  not sure what resoultion you are optimizing the page for, but if it is 1920x1080 or higher you got room on either side.

Thanks for the feedback.  We'll look at those things and see if it makes sense with some of our future layout stuff we are also doing to change them.   Appreciate the candid words.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »

More candid feedback:

1) Get rid of the social media crap in the top bar. Or make it smaller. Otherwise it looks like shit for people who don't let the browser window take up the whole screen; the social media stuff wraps, making the bar double-sized.

2) Links to ZergNet? Tacky. Actually clicked a link thinking it's a link to another article on the size. Ended up on ZergNet. Hope you guys get paid dearly for those.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 06, 2013, 04:04:20 AM

Yep, we are working on launching a mobile-friendly version very soon and that'll address what you are seeing.  And I don't mean a "it kinda works", I mean a fully-responsive and well-structured mobile site.   This is just the first step towards that - the mobile version is coming very soon.  smile

I'm sure you get a large variety of use cases, but FYI when I'm browsing on my iDevices and see a mobile version of a site the first thing I do is try and get to the full version of the site, no matter how snazzy the mobile version is.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 06, 2013, 04:35:28 PM

More candid feedback:

1) Get rid of the social media crap in the top bar. Or make it smaller. Otherwise it looks like shit for people who don't let the browser window take up the whole screen; the social media stuff wraps, making the bar double-sized.

2) Links to ZergNet? Tacky. Actually clicked a link thinking it's a link to another article on the size. Ended up on ZergNet. Hope you guys get paid dearly for those.

It's not supposed to wrap. Can you let me know what browser/OS and whether you're on the index page or an article page?

Zergnet actually yields us quite a bit of traffic. We try to differentiate those links by saying 'Elsewhere on the web' in the header for that section

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 06, 2013, 05:16:20 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 06, 2013, 04:04:20 AM

I'm sure you get a large variety of use cases, but FYI when I'm browsing on my iDevices and see a mobile version of a site the first thing I do is try and get to the full version of the site, no matter how snazzy the mobile version is.

To be clear, I will be fixing some bugs so that the site is more compatible with mobile, but we will be implementing a responsive design that will automatically adjust to the screen size soon.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 06, 2013, 02:08:23 AM

I've adjusted the font weight and the shade of blue, let me know if that helps

killed the permalink bit on the tooltips

The way we've partitioned different kinds of content will make sense as we build on this. The primary goal is to surface more of our original content as opposed to just news (old layout- that stuff got buried quickly). Reviews tend to get featured more often than other content and will take top billing quite often, and there are pending menu improvements that will make other content even more accessible.

Mike Dunn
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 06, 2013, 05:36:37 PM

It's not supposed to wrap. Can you let me know what browser/OS and whether you're on the index page or an article page?

Here's a screenshot. Safari, OS X 10.8.5.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 06, 2013, 07:32:41 PM

I've adjusted the font weight and the shade of blue, let me know if that helps

killed the permalink bit on the tooltips

the blue font definitely looks better, easier to quickly glance instead of actively having to focus.  Tooltips look nicer too, I figured that might have just been overlooked.  forgot to say that other than those things I listed it looks great Mike, and I have faith you now what you're doing-  you're paid the mad money after all slywink

Because I can,
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 06, 2013, 07:43:42 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 06, 2013, 05:36:37 PM

Here's a screenshot. Safari, OS X 10.8.5.

Hah! I know what the problem is!

Mike Dunn
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »

Yeah, the fix worked.

Curious, what width resolution are you coding for?
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 05:48:26 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 08, 2013, 05:39:51 PM

Yeah, the fix worked.

Curious, what width resolution are you coding for?

Well, the default right now is optimized for screen width of 1280 (page width is about 1135, leaving some gutter on either side), but the design was optimized to be responsive- I've got a whole new theme I'm working on that is responsive that won't be completely ready until after the fall rush. There were a few things that we wanted pushed before then, however, hence the current theme adjustments and new index page. We have one more big release that I'll be rolling out in a couple of weeks  icon_twisted

Mike Dunn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 01:57:34 AM »

I don't want to be too critical, but personally I liked the old front page much more.  The random sizing and layout seems throws me off and I can't really find anything on this one or see a good flow.  I guess I just like uniform consistency and simplicity with a chronological list of articles.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 09, 2013, 01:57:34 AM

I don't want to be too critical, but personally I liked the old front page much more.  The random sizing and layout seems throws me off and I can't really find anything on this one or see a good flow.  I guess I just like uniform consistency and simplicity with a chronological list of articles.

that matches my opinion (if you wanted it).  This just looks cluttered.  With that said, I do appreciate the work you all do.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »

I don't want to be too critical, but personally I liked the old front page much more.  The random sizing and layout seems throws me off and I can't really find anything on this one or see a good flow.  I guess I just like uniform consistency and simplicity with a chronological list of articles.

Just so you know, the headers (features, reviews, news) bring up the same layout of the old one - it just doesn't aggregate all of them in the same layout on the default front.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »

Same here.  I don't really like the new layout at all.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »

I really like the new navigation bar - I think that's really well done.

Can't really comment on header at the moment. I think that the SkyLander background image might be a bad example - so I'm looking forward to seeing it with a different background.

Overall I think this new layout loads much faster than previous ones. Even with all the images - so that's good work.

Looking forward to seeing further refinements and where you guys take it from here.

thumbsup
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »

I've had some more time to appreciate the site's new look, and it's very well done. Kudos to you all, it's got a modern, professional look, that still feels personal and is very functional. Congrats! I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again: the new look ánd content has me checking the front page regularly now, whereas before I wasn't bothered. It really is an amazing improvement!

As for review feedback: I would advise you to shorten your reviews. I feel these are somewhat too long, and on the internet in general I won't be bothered to read a wall of text. That's fine for printed magazines, but on the web I like my information short and to the point. My 2 cents off course.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 12:42:14 AM »

Thanks so much for the compliments.  smile   We've still got some tricks up our sleeve for after the holidays. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 03:23:13 AM »

Ron, I'm not sure this is gonna work. The nipple-tassles keep falling off the sheep.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 03:23:37 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 11, 2013, 12:42:14 AM

We've still got some tricks up our sleeve for after the holidays. 

Hooker Trend?

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 11, 2013, 03:23:37 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 11, 2013, 12:42:14 AM

We've still got some tricks up our sleeve for after the holidays. 

Hooker Trend?

Damn it, I thought that domain registration was private!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 07:07:38 AM »

A little OT but I was shopping at TFAW and saw a Tomb Raider endorsement from our site:

"Tomb Raider is the quintessential example of a reboot done right."-Gaming Trend

icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 12, 2013, 07:07:38 AM

A little OT but I was shopping at TFAW and saw a Tomb Raider endorsement from our site:

"Tomb Raider is the quintessential example of a reboot done right."-Gaming Trend

icon_cool

Ha!  That's awesome.  biggrin  Thanks for a very cool start to my morning. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: