http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:26:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Forum Feedback in HERE please  (Read 8426 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2006, 01:48:01 PM »

Genius I say! I have no idea what people think is cluttered. This is smooth, streamlined, clean, and presents a ton of information and tools. So far a few minor issues, but nothing serious.

:slywink:
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2006, 02:47:52 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 15, 2006, 10:47:08 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 15, 2006, 05:21:22 AM

Quote from: Dafones on August 15, 2006, 05:04:44 AM

But ... the "new" icons don't go away, even if I close the windows/turn off the computer. Am I missing something, or are we expected to reset the forum with the "mark every thread as read" link just before we leave?

That is strange.  Try dumping your cookies and see if that helps.  It should clear immediately after you read it.

The new tag next to a thread only goes away if you read the thread or mark all read.  If I visit a forum and then leave it the forum icon changes from new messages to no new messages, but the threads are still marked new or not.

Yeah, the older forum dumped the "new" status on all of the threads once you left. You had yer chance, and when you left, the forum assumed you glanced at every thread and looked into the ones you were interested in.

I liked that system. But there is something to be said for clearing the "new"s on your own terms.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2006, 03:26:37 PM »

"There's one big problem with the statistics...  The male:female ratio is 1:0."

"Either that, or we really have no females that visit the site."

HEY!!!!!!  disgust

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2006, 03:31:10 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on August 15, 2006, 03:26:37 PM

"There's one big problem with the statistics...  The male:female ratio is 1:0."

"Either that, or we really have no females that visit the site."

HEY!!!!!!  disgust

Well go fix your profile so the ratio can be 1,000,0000:1

icon_lol
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2006, 03:44:34 PM »

Is it possible to move the "new" icon to appear before a thread title, instead of after?  I don't know if other people like to hold down <ctrl> and click a bunch of threads into Firefox tabs, but it's a lot easier if the new icons are all lined up instead of scattered at different indents.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2006, 09:40:08 PM »

When I look at a thread with a big picture in it (wider than my browser window) I can't scroll to see the whole thing.  Is this a problem with Opera or does this happen to everybody?  I am running 1280x1024 and my browser is around stretched to about 1100 wide (leaving some stuff on the side).  I don't seem to have this issue with any other site, so is it a SMF thing or a browser thing?  It's not exactly the end of the world but I just noticed it lately and figured I'd ask if anybody else noticed this.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2006, 12:29:14 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on August 21, 2006, 09:40:08 PM

When I look at a thread with a big picture in it (wider than my browser window) I can't scroll to see the whole thing.  Is this a problem with Opera or does this happen to everybody?  I am running 1280x1024 and my browser is around stretched to about 1100 wide (leaving some stuff on the side).  I don't seem to have this issue with any other site, so is it a SMF thing or a browser thing?  It's not exactly the end of the world but I just noticed it lately and figured I'd ask if anybody else noticed this.

There should be a scroll bar just underneath the big picture...do you have a scroll bar?  I see the scrollbar with either IE or firefox...I haven't tried opera...one minute, I'll try it smile
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2006, 12:39:59 AM »

Okay...see my screenshot below...You should see a bar (circled in red).  This is in Opera.

[attachment deleted by admin]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2006, 01:50:09 AM »

I don't have the scroll bar.  Maybe I have an option unchecked somewhere in the board options.  Either that or it is because I am using the Black theme?  Perhaps because I don't have my browser set to fullscreen (as it appears you do).  I'm going to try the white theme in a few moments and see if that is it.

edit: It is an issue with the black theme.  I switched to the white theme and the bar was there.  In the black theme it is missing.

Thanks for the help on this one, Zero.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 01:56:56 AM by stiffler » Logged

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2006, 02:48:47 AM »

No problem...yeah, that blacktheme needs some work   icon_wink
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2006, 08:44:47 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on August 15, 2006, 02:47:52 PM

Quote from: Arkon on August 15, 2006, 10:47:08 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 15, 2006, 05:21:22 AM

Quote from: Dafones on August 15, 2006, 05:04:44 AM

But ... the "new" icons don't go away, even if I close the windows/turn off the computer. Am I missing something, or are we expected to reset the forum with the "mark every thread as read" link just before we leave?

That is strange.  Try dumping your cookies and see if that helps.  It should clear immediately after you read it.

The new tag next to a thread only goes away if you read the thread or mark all read.  If I visit a forum and then leave it the forum icon changes from new messages to no new messages, but the threads are still marked new or not.

Yeah, the older forum dumped the "new" status on all of the threads once you left. You had yer chance, and when you left, the forum assumed you glanced at every thread and looked into the ones you were interested in.

I liked that system. But there is something to be said for clearing the "new"s on your own terms.

Yeah, this is bugging me too.  I'm used to looking at the new posts, reading the ones I want, then leaving and knowing next time it will only show "new" the ones that have been posted in since I was last here.  I don't want to have to clear them manually every time.

I'll be honest - I find myself spending less time here since the change.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2006, 06:26:02 PM »

I'll put in a vote for the flip side of that.  Originally I agreed with you (and still occasionally do get annoyed at the "New" on threads that have been there for days) but I have since come around.  I used to feel that I had to stay logged into the site even if I went to do something else or else I would lose track of which threads had been updated in each of the forums.  Now I can come an check a couple threads in one forum, quit out to do something else, and when I come back I can see the other forums or even threads that I didn't get to check before. 

I don't think it's too hard to hit "Mark As Read" in a forum after I've checked the threads that I want to read. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2006, 06:29:57 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 27, 2006, 06:26:02 PM

I'll put in a vote for the flip side of that.  Originally I agreed with you (and still occasionally do get annoyed at the "New" on threads that have been there for days) but I have since come around.  I used to feel that I had to stay logged into the site even if I went to do something else or else I would lose track of which threads had been updated in each of the forums.  Now I can come an check a couple threads in one forum, quit out to do something else, and when I come back I can see the other forums or even threads that I didn't get to check before. 

I don't think it's too hard to hit "Mark As Read" in a forum after I've checked the threads that I want to read. 

Then why not make it a preference option?  Here's the thing - almost every other board does it the way it used to be and if you are visiting lots of boards the last thing you want to have to do is remember that this one requires you to hit "mark all threads read" and the others don't.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »

I don't get it.  I only had to mark everything as new the first time I used the board to clear them all.  They clear when I read them.  I don't have to manually clear the boards every time.   Now, if I peek into a forum, don't read any threads, leave and come back, then those same threads show as new if I've not opened them.  Is that what you mean?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2006, 06:46:41 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 27, 2006, 06:40:56 PM

I don't get it.  I only had to mark everything as new the first time I used the board to clear them all.  They clear when I read them.  I don't have to manually clear the boards every time.   Now, if I peek into a forum, don't read any threads, leave and come back, then those same threads show as new if I've not opened them.  Is that what you mean?
i think that's his complaint...he wants everything to be marked as read when he leaves whether he actually viewed them or not, and doesn't like having to click the 'Mark as Read' button for this to happen.  the old forum cleared the 'new' markers as soon as you visited whether you actually viewed the threads or not, allowing you to ignore threads you weren't interested in and not have to take any further action to stop them from showing up as new the next time you visited.  personally, i can't see why one little click to mark everything as read before you leave is such a big deal, but everyone's different...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2006, 08:31:40 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 27, 2006, 06:26:02 PM

I agree completely.  I used to ensure I had set asided enough time to actually read all the posts if I were going to login since, once you leave, everything was reset to that point.  Luckily Opera has an option to reload every x minutes so I would just have it refresh the page every five minutes so it would keep me logged in and not reset the new tags.  I actually prefer the new board because I can leave at any time, not have to keep refreshing when I step away, and I don't miss out on the new posts.

I don't play any MMORPGs so I just pop in there, look at the thread titles, and if nothing catches my eye I click "mark as read" and move on.

Obviously we all seem to have different preferences.  It would be great if this were an option for those that don't like it, though.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2006, 09:40:24 PM »

I'll talk to the devs and see if thats possible.  I'd like it to be something you could set on your own. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2006, 07:49:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 13, 2006, 05:32:30 PM

I miss the 'Users currently viewing this forum' info that appeared in phpBB.  Is that gone for good?

Nope.  It is enabled now.  I'm trying to figure out how to do it in the black theme. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2006, 08:22:13 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 27, 2006, 09:40:24 PM

I'll talk to the devs and see if thats possible.  I'd like it to be something you could set on your own. 

Agreed, I like the way SMF does this compared to how the old boards did it.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2006, 02:12:23 AM »

posting from my work treo on my last night of vacation while sitting in the John, have to say the forum works like magic on mobile, couldn't get google to pull a mobile site for the main page, don't even know if one is available. Eitherway, nice to know I can post from work if need be.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »

The GT Logo on top of the forums is no longer linked to the front page.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: