http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 03:09:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Forum Feedback in HERE please  (Read 8468 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2006, 12:06:38 AM »

I love the new forum.. The dreaded phpBB format, oh lord, how I hate it.

If SMF doesn't work out, Invision is really slick. But SMF is damn fine, I ran a couple SMF forums myself, and enjoy it.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2006, 12:33:48 AM »

SMF is like a dream come true, the entire feel is just much more intergrated. Love it!

Oh and the smilies. I just love those cute little guys. 
retard - I mean common, don't you just want to give him a hug?

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2006, 01:07:21 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 12, 2006, 07:32:36 PM

Quote from: Poleaxe on August 12, 2006, 07:29:26 PM

Looks good.

One thing I don't like is that there are no navigation links at the bottom of the page in a thread, so you have to scroll back up to navigate.

What links are you looking for?  I have navigation links at the bottom, also what theme?

Here are the links at the top of the page:

And here is the bottom of the page where they don't appear, but should:

EDIT: Also, when you search a member's posts, it show by thread rather than post for space reasons, and their entire post history should be available.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 01:19:45 AM by Poleaxe » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2006, 01:24:27 AM »

Quote from: Poleaxe on August 13, 2006, 01:07:21 AM

Looks good.

One thing I don't like is that there are no navigation links at the bottom of the page in a thread, so you have to scroll back up to navigate.

What links are you looking for?  I have navigation links at the bottom, also what theme?

EDIT: Also, when you search a member's posts, it show by thread rather than post for space reasons, and their entire post history should be available.

While not the same format, the jump to drop down gives you the same functionality.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2006, 01:28:54 AM »

Quote from: Poleaxe on August 13, 2006, 01:07:21 AM

Looks good.

We'll look at fixing that in the revision.  In the mean time, you have a "Go Up" button that'll take you to the top where you can nav. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2006, 03:30:31 AM »

I know you guys put some hard work into it and I respect that, but I really, really dislike the new board. Sometimes change is good, but in this case, I wish you guys would have kept the old board.. Oh well.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2006, 03:36:00 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on August 13, 2006, 03:30:31 AM

I know you guys put some hard work into it and I respect that, but I really, really dislike the new board. Sometimes change is good, but in this case, I wish you guys would have kept the old board.. Oh well.

It's going to take some time to get used to but I think it will be for the better in the long run.  At least they are actively seeking ways to improve the default install and hopefully we will see many of these changes implemented.

There is a lot to like about this new software.  It's not as simple (despite the name) but appears much more flexible.

I hope you give it a chance!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2006, 04:05:41 AM »

Is it that you dislike the themes?  'cause that's gonna change considerably.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2006, 05:24:33 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 13, 2006, 01:28:54 AM

We'll look at fixing that in the revision.  In the mean time, you have a "Go Up" button that'll take you to the top where you can nav. 

Ahh, I see the move up button now that you mention it. BTW, I like the black and blue theme.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2006, 06:56:36 AM »

I would really like a lighter background for text under the ]quote] tag for the black theme.  It stands out nicely for the blue theme, but it's hard to distinguish under the black.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2006, 02:30:56 PM »

Hey, when I click on the forum stats pie chart it tells me I'm not allowed to view the forum stats. Is that a profile setting or an admin only ability?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2006, 04:27:53 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 13, 2006, 02:30:56 PM

Hey, when I click on the forum stats pie chart it tells me I'm not allowed to view the forum stats. Is that a profile setting or an admin only ability?

Nah, just the little kinks in permissions.  You can view it now.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2006, 04:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 12, 2006, 06:53:48 PM

KD, did posts per page and topics per page get set incorrectly during the changeover?  The beta board had the same number of topics roughly but was only 77 pages in Off Topic, perhaps this can be checked?

Yep.  Now it is set to 50 replies per page and 50 posts per index.  Should be a little better. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2006, 04:48:21 PM »

Count me in as not being thrilled with the redesign.  New themes would help but for now it's just way too cluttered. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 13, 2006, 04:48:21 PM

Count me in as not being thrilled with the redesign.  New themes would help but for now it's just way too cluttered. 

New themes will help.  Given how 'teetering on the edge of broken' phpbb was becoming day by day, this was something that couldn't wait.  I've got three guys working on themes, so it won't be terribly long. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2006, 04:53:30 PM »

There's one big problem with the statistics...  The male:female ratio is 1:0.   tear

xbox live: nude rick james
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2006, 05:04:39 PM »

Quote from: Clay on August 13, 2006, 04:53:30 PM

There's one big problem with the statistics...  The male:female ratio is 1:0.   tear

Yea, it isn't entirely accurate.  Some people haven't set the male / female tag. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2006, 05:32:30 PM »

I miss the 'Users currently viewing this forum' info that appeared in phpBB.  Is that gone for good?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2006, 07:31:34 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 13, 2006, 05:04:39 PM

Quote from: Clay on August 13, 2006, 04:53:30 PM

Yea, it isn't entirely accurate.  Some people haven't set the male / female tag. 
Either that, or we really have no females that visit the site.  eek

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »

Is there any way to do like we could on the old forums, and show all new posts since last visit?  Or am I blind?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2006, 08:05:31 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on August 13, 2006, 08:01:09 PM

Is there any way to do like we could on the old forums, and show all new posts since last visit?  Or am I blind?

Click on 'Show unread posts since last visit.' which is under your user info that appears at the top of the screen under the 'Gaming Trend' logo.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2006, 08:12:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 13, 2006, 08:05:31 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on August 13, 2006, 08:01:09 PM

Click on 'Show unread posts since last visit.' which is under your user info that appears at the top of the screen under the 'Gaming Trend' logo.
and once you've done that, click on the 'New' logo after the post title to jump to the first post in a thread since your last visit.  it works just like the old forum once you locate the right buttons icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2006, 08:27:53 PM »

Id like to post that no matter how many times I visit that all the posts are marked NEW and I cant tell which are actually new. Its not unmarking them after i visit it seems.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2006, 08:33:14 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 13, 2006, 08:27:53 PM

Id like to post that no matter how many times I visit that all the posts are marked NEW and I cant tell which are actually new. Its not unmarking them after i visit it seems.

You sure?  There has been a rise in traffic since we changed, and I'm finding that posts are 'new' right after I read them.  After that though, they lose the 'new' tag.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2006, 08:45:06 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 13, 2006, 04:27:53 PM

Is that true for everyone, or just staffers?  The pie charts aren't even showing up as clickable for me.  (Default theme, Safari 2.0.4)

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2006, 09:04:44 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 13, 2006, 08:33:14 PM

You sure?  There has been a rise in traffic since we changed, and I'm finding that posts are 'new' right after I read them.  After that though, they lose the 'new' tag.

One thing that I REALLY like is that it points me to new posts during the same session.  I used to have to shutdown Opera for the "show new posts" button to take me to the newest post, now it knows where I left off.  So if somebody replies to this right now it will take me to that post instead of page one where I originally left off.  Nice!  Hopefully that makes sense to somebody.

Take this thread.  When I clicked on the "new" button it took me to the first page because that is where I left off last night.  But I read them all then went and read the trade forum.  I noticed there were new posts in this thread so I came back, clicked on "new" again and it jumped right to CrayolaSmoker's post which is new since my last read.  Now I can leave Opera running all the time and not have to mine through the stuff I read earlier.

Small thing but a pleasant surprise to me!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2006, 09:33:04 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 13, 2006, 08:45:06 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 13, 2006, 04:27:53 PM

Is that true for everyone, or just staffers?  The pie charts aren't even showing up as clickable for me.  (Default theme, Safari 2.0.4)

They weren't seeing the stats at all.  I don't think there are actually pie charts, just the actual stats.  No punch and pie.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2006, 09:38:49 PM »

Quote from: stiffler on August 13, 2006, 09:04:44 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 13, 2006, 08:33:14 PM

One thing that I REALLY like is that it points me to new posts during the same session.  I used to have to shutdown Opera for the "show new posts" button to take me to the newest post, now it knows where I left off.  So if somebody replies to this right now it will take me to that post instead of page one where I originally left off.  Nice!  Hopefully that makes sense to somebody.

Take this thread.  When I clicked on the "new" button it took me to the first page because that is where I left off last night.  But I read them all then went and read the trade forum.  I noticed there were new posts in this thread so I came back, clicked on "new" again and it jumped right to CrayolaSmoker's post which is new since my last read.  Now I can leave Opera running all the time and not have to mine through the stuff I read earlier.

Small thing but a pleasant surprise to me!

It is nice that Opera is getting more and more useable all the time.  There are a few issues with SMF and Opera, but they are mostly minor.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2006, 11:50:12 PM »

Actually, the Opera issue wasn't an Opera bug at all. It was (as far as I can figure) an issue with the old boards. When you logged in (every time behind your backs when you visited the site), the boards would take a snapshot of the forum at that instant and everything that was posted right when you logged in and beforehand (and after when you last visited) would be considered 'new'. You'd have to leave the site for that information to refresh.

These boards refresh that new status constantly, so you can wander to your heart's content and see new stuff as it gets posted all the time.

At least that's how I see it, as Firefox had the same 'issue'.

Daehawk - for me at least, you have to open up the topic that's marked with a 'new' button by the side of it for it to be no longer considered new. There's a button up near the top right that says 'mark read' which will mark all posts there read. Give that a shot.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 11:53:15 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »

Minor, but...

When logging in I mistyped my user name and got the error box. When I tried to fix it and log in from the error screen it hung twice. I had to go back in the browser an re-enter.

Also, the forum link from the front page seems kind of slow.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2006, 07:13:21 PM »

I really like the "unread post" link at the top of the forum, but I do miss having threads with new posts shown on the forum thread lists. Anyway that can be put in as well?

It's a funky new setup though ... just needs some tweaks.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on August 14, 2006, 07:13:21 PM

I really like the "unread post" link at the top of the forum, but I do miss having threads with new posts shown on the forum thread lists. Anyway that can be put in as well?

Guess I never used what you are talking about.  Can you nab me a screen from another phpbb forum and show me what you mean?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2006, 08:50:35 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 14, 2006, 07:56:34 PM

Guess I never used what you are talking about.  Can you nab me a screen from another phpbb forum and show me what you mean?

Erm .... it was ... it was an icon beside the thread titles in any given forum (Console, PC, EBG, etc.) that showed whether there had been a new post in that thread since you'd been in the forums. It looks like there is such an icon in the list of different sub-forums (a light blue or dark blue SMF logo), but not for the thread titles. I always found that icon handy when scanning the forums.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2006, 08:56:17 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on August 14, 2006, 08:50:35 PM

Erm .... it was ... it was an icon beside the thread titles in any given forum (Console, PC, EBG, etc.) that showed whether there had been a new post in that thread since you'd been in the forums. It looks like there is such an icon in the list of different sub-forums (a light blue or dark blue SMF logo), but not for the thread titles. I always found that icon handy when scanning the forums.

On the right hand side of a thread title it will say New if it has new posts since your last visit.  Clicking on New takes you to the first new post in the thread.  What theme are you using and what browser?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2006, 09:56:07 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 14, 2006, 08:56:17 PM

Quote from: Dafones on August 14, 2006, 08:50:35 PM

On the right hand side of a thread title it will say New if it has new posts since your last visit.  Clicking on New takes you to the first new post in the thread.  What theme are you using and what browser?

It seems to be working for me now. My problem was that every thread had the "new" icon beside it. Then I hit the "mark every thread as read" button in the forum list, and now only the newly posted threads have the "new" notice. Not sure why it wasn't working before, but it does now.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »

I think it was because you were new to the re-launched forum.  When I first logged in I was surprised that I had 47 private messages!

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2006, 05:04:44 AM »

But ... the "new" icons don't go away, even if I close the windows/turn off the computer. Am I missing something, or are we expected to reset the forum with the "mark every thread as read" link just before we leave?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2006, 05:21:22 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on August 15, 2006, 05:04:44 AM

But ... the "new" icons don't go away, even if I close the windows/turn off the computer. Am I missing something, or are we expected to reset the forum with the "mark every thread as read" link just before we leave?

That is strange.  Try dumping your cookies and see if that helps.  It should clear immediately after you read it.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2006, 07:25:13 AM »

Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying the dark theme now.  The changes you made, including moving alot of stuff to the bottom of the page really makes things look cleaner.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2006, 10:47:08 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 15, 2006, 05:21:22 AM

Quote from: Dafones on August 15, 2006, 05:04:44 AM

That is strange.  Try dumping your cookies and see if that helps.  It should clear immediately after you read it.

The new tag next to a thread only goes away if you read the thread or mark all read.  If I visit a forum and then leave it the forum icon changes from new messages to no new messages, but the threads are still marked new or not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: