http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 02:20:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Forum Feedback in HERE please  (Read 8489 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:18:58 AM »

Forum shift is all done.  Feedback in here please.  You'll find that much of what you'll probably want is in your profile.  It is a WORLD of difference from PHPBB, and I hope that you guys all like it.

A few things of note - we are still tweaking, so expect minor changes here and there.  We are also working on a complete re-skin of the forums (both light and dark themes) to match the upcoming entire site rebuild. 

Thanks for your patience as we let the dust settle.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:20:54 AM »

WoW! Sonova!

I'm impressed. Nice work guys, rock on  headbang thumbsup
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 11:22:02 AM »

Quote from: Sam Hell on August 12, 2006, 11:20:54 AM

WoW! Sonova!

I'm impressed. Nice work guys, rock on  headbang thumbsup

We had a hell of a testing team that helped me get this off the ground.  Hats off to them and to Eldon who helped with the technical aspects. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Quipp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 12:22:44 PM »

eek

I guess I need to venture beyond the front page a bit more often...looks great!

Now, back to the shadows... ninja
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 12:27:13 PM »

Phenominal Job Ron and Crew!

Or, if I were Soulchilde, I'd probably misspell it... so in his words:

Phenomenil Job Ron!

icon_wink

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 01:16:50 PM »

saywhat headbang headbang3

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 01:25:43 PM »

Well, you have a BlackGold replacement, so I'm happy. biggrin

Just gotta get used to where all the new buttons are and whatnot.

Looks great so far. No complaints. Yet.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 01:29:27 PM »

Looks pretty fancy!
  • The header on every page is a bit big for my taste, I'd rather have the forum topics & threads appear higher up on the page than to see my avatar at the top with the big Hello wonderpug bar.
  • simple machines forum?  Is that a required advertisement to be able to use the software?
  • I'm guessing other people might like them, but the audience of smileys when I'm writing a post is a bit much, even moreso since they're animated.  I'd prefer a button leading to smileys, or at least a smaller row of them with everyone else hidden under [more]
  • Attachments!
  • The new threaded PM conversations are pretty nifty
  • Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.  <--THAT IS AWESOME
Fancy shmancy!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 02:40:09 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »

Okay, I have one complaint already  paranoid :

How do you increase the number of posts per page? I think I had it set to like 20-25 posts on the old board, and I don't see a way to increase it beyond 10 posts in this board. Any thoughts?

There's also no way (that I can see in BlackDay at least) to jump to the main page through the forums. Something I always used to do when I was done forum browsing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 01:37:53 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 01:54:08 PM »

Wow, the forum stats page is pretty nifty, although I can see the Top 10 Posters part leading to some post padding wars.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 12, 2006, 01:29:27 PM

The header on every page is a bit big for my taste, I'd rather have the forum topics & threads appear higher up on the page than to see my avatar at the top with the big Hello wonderpug bar.
At the top right side of the page under where it says Simple Machines Forum is a spot where there's the date and time.  Next to it is a [-] button.  Click on it and it collapses your header.  Click on it again and it expands your header.  It's mighty awesome.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 02:41:49 PM »

Here's something else: I can't find a link to the Code of Conduct anywhere.  Am I missing it?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 03:36:29 PM »

only thing i dont like thus far is trying to figure out which posts are new in a particular forum.  it's hard for me to tell, guess i need to adjust my color schemes

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 03:40:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 12, 2006, 01:25:43 PM

There is? How do I get it? I only see Black/Grey as a theme option. How do I get black and gold?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »

Is there any way to get the old version of the "see posts since last visit" option? As it is now, instead of showing me all the topics where new posts have been made, I see all the actual posts themselves.

Also, on first logging in, I got a message that I had new PM's when I actually didn't. Is that just going to be a one time thing since this is new software?

edit: In reference to the first question, it took me over 10 pages just to see the new posts - and since every post is shown it even included some NSFW stuff.

edit 2: I found how to do it. Disregard my question.  icon_redface
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:51:08 PM by Ralph-Wiggum » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 04:07:57 PM »

Yikes, this is giong to take some getting used to.

I liked the simplicity of the old yellow icon = new posts/replies.  I can't say I really give a crap whether threads have icons to show they are "Hot Topic"s or anything like that.  I think it's pretty obvious if there are 10 pages it's a hot topic.  I don't really like topics having their own icon, either, but I'm sure that won't change. 

The new way quotes are shown is...different.

The Insert Hyperlink button also doesn't have the pop-up help text to show people how to make a link to something other than their URL.  (you know, the [ url=...]text[/url] thing)

EDIT:  Realized my post was only negative and just wanted to say that it does look nice and I'm sure we will all be more happy with this in short order.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 04:22:44 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 12, 2006, 03:40:07 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 12, 2006, 01:25:43 PM

There is? How do I get it? I only see Black/Grey as a theme option. How do I get black and gold?

Profile - Modify Preferences - Look and Layout Preferences - Current Theme (BlackDay)

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 04:25:07 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 12, 2006, 04:07:57 PM

I liked the simplicity of the old yellow icon = new posts/replies.  I can't say I really give a crap whether threads have icons to show they are "Hot Topic"s or anything like that.  I think it's pretty obvious if there are 10 pages it's a hot topic.  I don't really like topics having their own icon, either, but I'm sure that won't change. 

The Insert Hyperlink button also doesn't have the pop-up help text to show people how to make a link to something other than their URL.  (you know, the [ url=...]text[/url] thing)

EDIT:  Realized my post was only negative and just wanted to say that it does look nice and I'm sure we will all be more happy with this in short order.  icon_biggrin

I know this will come across wrong... but the help feature that is in the top left along with Home, Search etc... gives a good description of all the BBCode and how it is used.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 12, 2006, 04:25:07 PM

I know this will come across wrong... but the help feature that is in the top left along with Home, Search etc... gives a good description of all the BBCode and how it is used.

True, but if somebody doesn't know how to do something like that they likely have not (and will not) be reading through the Help section.  I just tend to think context sensitive help is more...helpful. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 04:32:59 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 12, 2006, 04:31:31 PM

Quote from: Arkon on August 12, 2006, 04:25:07 PM

True, but if somebody doesn't know how to do something like that they likely have not (and will not) be reading through the Help section.  I just tend to think context sensitive help is more...helpful. 

True, context menus are nice, I just know for me I learned way more during the beta by reading the help than any context pop ups would have helped.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2006, 05:04:34 PM »

There is one KEY statistic missing.

# of absolutely worthless posts that have 5 words or less.

Guess who would be in the top spot there, with no competition coming even close?!?

Spoiler for Hiden:
You guessed it!  ---->    icon_twisted

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 05:09:14 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 12, 2006, 02:30:44 PM

The header on every page is a bit big for my taste, I'd rather have the forum topics & threads appear higher up on the page than to see my avatar at the top with the big Hello wonderpug bar.
At the top right side of the page under where it says Simple Machines Forum is a spot where there's the date and time.  Next to it is a [-] button.  Click on it and it collapses your header.  Click on it again and it expands your header.  It's mighty awesome.

unfortunately, that little collapse/expand button is not part of the BlackDay theme...it's only in the default 'white' theme, so those of us who like the darker colors are stuck with a giant header right now...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 05:11:19 PM »

Quote from: disarm on August 12, 2006, 05:09:14 PM

unfortunately, that little collapse/expand button is not part of the BlackDay theme...it's only in the default 'white' theme, so those of us who like the darker colors are stuck with a giant header right now...

I brought this up in beta, but it has to be hand coded in, and I don't think they have had time to do so, they were just able to get the color scheme set up.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 05:42:07 PM »

Profile - Modify Preferences - Look and Layout Preferences - Current Theme (BlackDay)

I'm using this theme but it isn't black and gold at all. More blacks and greys.... Is it gold for everyone else?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 05:42:57 PM »

Thanks for ALL the feedback.  I'll be making adjustments (including handcoding in some stuff) over the next few days.  Don't despair - this is only gonnna get better.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2006, 05:47:51 PM »

I'll echo the comment that has already been made about linking the GT logo in the upper left back to the front page.  I used that quite a bit.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2006, 05:50:08 PM »

One thing I would like to point out, and maybe this should be a CoC/Forum Rules or something.  When you use the spoiler tag to hide NSFW type materials.  It should be noted that even though it doesn't show up on the screen, it will still show up that you went to that website.  We should realize that some of us work in places where they tracked these things, and if you link to a pron site - and its hidden in the spoiler tag - it will still show up that you pulled something from that website.  I know most of the time its just the viewing part, but sometimes it does come down to the website "visited"....

thanks for listening smile
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2006, 06:25:40 PM »

Quote from: DonD on August 12, 2006, 05:47:51 PM

I'll echo the comment that has already been made about linking the GT logo in the upper left back to the front page.  I used that quite a bit.
Please, else I'll never find the front page again

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 12, 2006, 05:42:07 PM

I'm using this theme but it isn't black and gold at all. More blacks and greys.... Is it gold for everyone else?

As I said, we are re-skinning.  Give us a lil time and you'll have a good theme.  We had to go with a 'stock' one for now.  (I'm not a fan of it either)

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2006, 06:53:48 PM »

KD, did posts per page and topics per page get set incorrectly during the changeover?  The beta board had the same number of topics roughly but was only 77 pages in Off Topic, perhaps this can be checked?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2006, 07:13:04 PM »

Popping my head back in to say THANK YOU everyone at GT and those that helped with this. Nice to see ya care bout us ungrateful posters  nod

I know theres some hard work behind this move and its really showed. Its also great you were able to keep our old stats intact during the change over. And I LOVE that new stats page. Awsome.

Thanks again.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2006, 07:29:26 PM »

Looks good.

One thing I don't like is that there are no navigation links at the bottom of the page in a thread, so you have to scroll back up to navigate.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2006, 07:32:36 PM »

Quote from: Poleaxe on August 12, 2006, 07:29:26 PM

Looks good.

One thing I don't like is that there are no navigation links at the bottom of the page in a thread, so you have to scroll back up to navigate.

What links are you looking for?  I have navigation links at the bottom, also what theme?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2006, 08:04:44 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 12, 2006, 07:32:36 PM

Quote from: Poleaxe on August 12, 2006, 07:29:26 PM

Looks good.

What links are you looking for?  I have navigation links at the bottom, also what theme?

True that, I hate that black theme.  They stripped every bit of usefulness out of it to color it black.  Stupid...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2006, 08:52:58 PM »

I'm only seeing 3 color schemes and non of them is black and gold, that's kind of a bummer.

It looks like there are alot of new things, which I haven't had a chance to tinker with yet, but things also look a bit more cluttered too.  I'll see if editing my profile helps in this area.

Otherwise things seem to be working fine on my end.

edit: Okay, I see that new themes are coming.  If black and gold are to be left behind, a new start and all, that's fine with me. 

What I really want is a DARK page, with only the text sticking out in an eyecatching, light colored way.  Basically I'm looking for a theme that casts the least amount of light from my monitor as possible, and still allows me to post and read text.

Graphics, icons, logos, and what not should either be discreetly colored or even better, completely optional when possible.  I'm looking up at the line of smileys for instance, they are casting alot of light for no reason(in my case that is).

An example of the clean, dark look I'm talking about is the HardOCP forums.  You got your black background, a bit of dark red here and there, the gold text links, a small bit of white text, and very little in the way of flashy icons and graphics(not counting ads).  Clean, uncluttered, and DARK- that's the ticket.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 09:13:34 PM by gameoverman » Logged
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2006, 09:16:38 PM »

Quote from: gameoverman on August 12, 2006, 08:52:58 PM

I'm only seeing 3 color schemes and non of them is black and gold, that's kind of a bummer.

It looks like there are alot of new things, which I haven't had a chance to tinker with yet, but things also look a bit more cluttered too.  I'll see if editing my profile helps in this area.

Otherwise things seem to be working fine on my end.

The themes we end up with may only have a resemblance in layout.  We will be using colors for both the dark and light contrast themes based on designs  of other changes for the site that we have planned.  Black and Gold are not colors that we are associated with any longer, and as such, will not feature prominently in any future themes or designs.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2006, 09:22:41 PM »

i like the shift to new software. more functionality is always good. 

my only suggestion would be to disable the displaying of the 'print' button.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2006, 09:44:34 PM »

I thought I should give graphical examples of what I'm talking about, it makes it easier on me to explain myself.

In section A, all I need to see is if I have any new PMs.  I'd like to be able to hide the rest of that info and reclaim the screen space, if possible.  The reason is that I have no need for any of the other info in that section.  If that was all on another page, my profile page for example, that would be fine with me.

Section B, well to be honest I'd like to collapse that and reclaim the screen space, the 'problems' email link(the only part I might conceivably use) could be squeezed in at the bottom of the page or something.

Section C- don't need it, would like option to shut it off

Section D-  I like this set up a lot, wouldn't change anything...except maybe to make the 'search' box gray in color and not so bright white.

Section E- I like the columns, I circled the items I won't be using and therefore would like to shut off if possible.

The stuff at the bottom doesn't bother me since I never look down there unless I feel like it.  The stuff on top though, that's something you have to look at as soon as the page loads.

edit:  Well, I took a look at the default theme.   That layout is darn near perfect(except for the 'new posts' icons on the left, I'd like to lose those).   Once you get a dark theme working with that layout and those collapse/uncollapse options, it'll be great.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 09:56:35 PM by gameoverman » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »

Quote from: DonD on August 12, 2006, 05:47:51 PM

Done.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 11:12:03 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 12, 2006, 05:11:19 PM

Quote from: disarm on August 12, 2006, 05:09:14 PM

I brought this up in beta, but it has to be hand coded in, and I don't think they have had time to do so, they were just able to get the color scheme set up.

I've kinda figured out how to do this.  I'll get it in ASAP.  I agree that the nonsense up top is pretty asstastic.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: