http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:26:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Links showing up in post  (Read 616 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »

So I just posted in the Weekend playlist add the Skyrim was linked to Amazon with me adding the url.  Is this a new feature on GT

Beats Pro

A Song of Ice and Fire

Google-Fu to the rescue it's something called Viglink
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:52:05 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »

Yup. We're trying out a feature of viglink that adds affiliate links to posts automagically (it already added affiliate codes to already linked items). If anybody clicks on those links and buys anything, we get a commission.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »

Okay, I'll enable it on my browser as it allowed me to opt out.  Anything I can do to help the site

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 14, 2013, 06:32:57 PM

Okay, I'll enable it on my browser as it allowed me to opt out.  Anything I can do to help the site

I felt it was pretty benign. As long as it doesn't cause any issues and doesn't become obtrusive.

Mike Dunn
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »

Can you alter the code so that these automated links are set apart from links made by the actual poster? Perhaps no underline, or a shade of the link that's different than normal links and closer to the default forum color for the user's theme.

Currently, it's annoying to try and parse whether the poster intends you to go to a link in his post, or it's an ad. If you refuse to separate the poster created links from the ad links, then that's the point where it becomes obtrusive. Instead, it should be a reasonable time saver to allow someone to quickly click an auto generated link if that post causes him to want to look something up, saves the small amount of time from googling.

Also, make sure that this software is also parsing shopping links posted by users, such as in the steals and deals, adding the GT reference code into them (and also stripping other referral code out). I noticed a while back that some posts on S&D and elsewhere don't have reference info added to the links automatically, and that's where you're more likely to get real sales and referral money.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 14, 2013, 05:45:05 PM

Can you alter the code so that these automated links are set apart from links made by the actual poster? Perhaps no underline, or a shade of the link that's different than normal links and closer to the default forum color for the user's theme.

Currently, it's annoying to try and parse whether the poster intends you to go to a link in his post, or it's an ad. If you refuse to separate the poster created links from the ad links, then that's the point where it becomes obtrusive. Instead, it should be a reasonable time saver to allow someone to quickly click an auto generated link if that post causes him to want to look something up, saves the small amount of time from googling.

Also, make sure that this software is also parsing shopping links posted by users, such as in the steals and deals, adding the GT reference code into them (and also stripping other referral code out). I noticed a while back that some posts on S&D and elsewhere don't have reference info added to the links automatically, and that's where you're more likely to get real sales and referral money.

No way to alter the code- it's injected via our CDN

And yes, it is parsing links already generated but only if they are links that are part of the affiliate group.

Mike Dunn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: