http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:45:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there an Ignore feature in the works?  (Read 19500 times)
JLu
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2007, 06:12:42 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on January 08, 2007, 05:48:32 PM

So what if I asked that specific person a question.  A totally innocent question.  If it gets ignored, well then.   

Give them two questions for benefit of the doubt; I'm sure there are threads where I've not answered a direct question to me...

Still too lazy to actually ignore anyone.  If you'd asked me months ago, I'd have been positive I'd have used such a feature, but at this point I'm still not seeing the need personally.  I am surprised by looking at some users 'ignored by' column though, since there are some folks who have a positive number there who I can't recall ever having had any issue with at all...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2007, 06:35:48 PM »

Quote from: JLu on January 08, 2007, 06:12:42 PM

I am surprised by looking at some users 'ignored by' column though, since there are some folks who have a positive number there who I can't recall ever having had any issue with at all...

Yeah. I can't think of anybody's toes I've stepped on badly enough to warrant ignoring. *shrug*

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2007, 06:43:26 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on January 08, 2007, 05:13:13 PM

Please note that I do not like the ignore function.

/ignores Eduardo

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2007, 06:53:05 PM »

Back in my day, if you wanted to ignore someone, you just wouldn't read their posts.

Damn kids, with their newfangled forum mods.  I used to have to log on with a 300 baud modem, uphill both ways!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »

Yes! I'm up to three.  What's the record?

Just Hiro will do.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2007, 07:20:54 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on January 08, 2007, 06:43:26 PM

/ignores Eduardo
/kicks whitey

PSN ID: EduardoX
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2007, 07:37:32 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on January 08, 2007, 07:20:54 PM

/ignores Eduardo
/kicks whitey

I thought the correct phrase was, "KILL WHITEY!"  icon_wink

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2007, 07:43:50 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on January 08, 2007, 07:17:08 PM

Where do you guys see this at?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2007, 07:46:39 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 08, 2007, 07:43:50 PM

Where do you guys see this at?

On your profile screen. Either click "profile" at the top of the page, or you can click on your name to the left of your posts.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »

Oh ok. Hmm, so 1 is ignoring me....oh well.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2007, 08:21:25 PM »

I believe 6, which is currently held by.....Kobra!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2007, 08:25:37 PM »

Not judging anyones decisions Hetz, but why do people wanna ignore Kobra? I know he has rubbed some people the wrong way with past comments on another forum, but to my knowledge, he hasn't done anything to anyone here. Everything I have seen from him here leads me to believe that the guy is fine, in fact, he's been pretty helpful to several people, at least from I have seen.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2007, 08:33:31 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 08, 2007, 08:25:37 PM

Not judging anyones decisions Hetz, but why do people wanna ignore Kobra? I know he has rubbed some people the wrong way with past comments on another forum, but to my knowledge, he hasn't done anything to anyone here. Everything I have seen from him here leads me to believe that the guy is fine, in fact, he's been pretty helpful to several people, at least from I have seen.

Six people at this forum happen to work at Sam's Club, and well, there's only so much they can take.
unbreakable
« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2007, 09:06:10 PM »

Cool!  Someone is ignoring me!

I need to find out who it is, so I can start making fun of them!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2007, 09:20:16 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 08, 2007, 07:37:32 PM

/ignores Eduardo
/kicks whitey

You are a sick sob. How could you want to kill poor wb?
Kicking him is much more fun. But beware: he kicks back.

PSN ID: EduardoX
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2007, 10:45:58 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on January 08, 2007, 09:20:16 PM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 08, 2007, 07:37:32 PM

/ignores Eduardo
/kicks whitey

You are a sick sob. How could you want to kill poor wb?

It helps that I've known him since High School.  icon_wink

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2007, 11:44:30 PM »

I'm going to weigh in with my final decision on this Ignore feature tomorrow.  I'll sleep on it tonight, so if you have any further arguments for or against, speak now.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2007, 11:58:50 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 08, 2007, 11:44:30 PM

I'm going to weigh in with my final decision on this Ignore feature tomorrow.  I'll sleep on it tonight, so if you have any further arguments for or against, speak now.

I think it is a good idea to have it. It doesn't hurt anyone to have it and nobody is forcing anyone to use it. If you take it away, then you would be forcing people not to use something that they might need to continue to visit this site. If those 3 people that are ignoring me, find that they can visit this site more often, than I don't care at all that they have me on ignore. It doesn't effect me at all.

It really does no real harm and if it can be used to calm tensions, I don't see why you wouldn't keep it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 12:00:24 AM by Hetz » Logged

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2007, 12:03:48 AM »

I'm gonna say keep it.

Once we're used to it it will no longer be a topic of conversation. 
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2007, 12:11:51 AM »

Sure, I'll be serious for a moment.

Now, I already know the three pussies who ignored me (that's right, I know who you are, you god damn vaginas).  But I'm sure there are other people who aren't as smart or handsome as I am, and therefore can't figure it out.  Instead they'll view everyone with whom they interact with with narrowed eyes.  And that, in time, will ruin the community-ness of the community.  Maybe I'm being a little too melOOdramatic, but unpleasant things are going to happen as a result.  I mean, it just can't POSSIBLY be good.  

The dumbest part is that the ignore function doesn't even fix any problems.  Let's, for the sake of argument, use the current Hetz/jblank tickle-fight.  Let's also assume they ignored each other.  How does that fix anything?  They're both going to post in the same threads they have all along, and they're BOTH going to be able to read each other's stuff, in a roundabout way.  It just can't work.  I mean, look at U2k.  Say everyone puts him on ignore.  It helps nothing, cuz it doesn't hide threads (or does it?).  And if you think having some forum block his posts means you can overcome the temptation to read his stuff, you're only fooling yourself.  

Pussy-enabling behavior hurts everybody.  It's can't POSSIBLY relieve tensions, it just directs them elsewhere, or it takes on a new form.  Don't let the pussies win.

Just Hiro will do.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2007, 12:22:38 AM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on January 09, 2007, 12:11:51 AM

Pussy-enabling behavior hurts everybody.  It's can't POSSIBLY relieve tensions, it just directs them elsewhere, or it takes on a new form.  Don't let the pussies win.

Only a big pussy would say something like that.  Pussy. finger
And before I accidentally start another flame war or something......IT WAS A JOKE!  icon_biggrin

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2007, 12:34:28 AM »

I think it is a good idea to have it. It doesn't hurt anyone to have it and nobody is forcing anyone to use it.

+1 on that. If nobody wanted it, people wouldn't be using it. And if we get right down to it, honestly, who cares if someone(s) decides to ignore you? They should have the right to do so.
If a few people had been able to ignore LE, he'd still be here today, as he was here since the beginning.

I like it the way it is now - completely optional. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.. but then it's there if you really need it.
Ron, you admitted yourself that several people would leave the forums if a certain poster(s) weren't either kicked or ignored.. well, they got something that allows both parties to stay here and contribute on the forums instead of losing anyone.

If someone does take heart with anyone ignoring them, perhaps they can email you personally and say they'd like to start fresh with that person. In turn, you can send a PM to that person and leave it up to them. That person could then un-ignore them and the person who was being ignored wouldn't even know who it was in the first place anyway, so it's back to a fresh start.

All in all, I'm all for the ignore fuction even though I won't personally be using it. Most people realize that this is just the net and if you see something you don't like, just ignore it yourself, but as proved here on GT time again and again, sadly, it just doesn't work like that.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2007, 12:41:01 AM »

Ignoring wouldn't have fixed the -LE- problem.  If anything, it would have made it worse.  -LE-, in all liklihood, would have worn that "ignored by" profile as a badge of honor. 

Just Hiro will do.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2007, 01:49:22 AM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on January 09, 2007, 12:41:01 AM

Ignoring wouldn't have fixed the -LE- problem.  If anything, it would have made it worse.  -LE-, in all liklihood, would have worn that "ignored by" profile as a badge of honor. 

That's how I take it. Kobra ignoring me is priceless. smile
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2007, 02:21:25 AM »

I say keep it.......I don't care and probably won't use it but it appears that it might help people calm down.  I would really like to just see a poll of how many keeps and get rid of we have.  KD I know that you said you weren't doing it off of forum votes but it would just put numbers to if people like it or not.   Just an idea.

Edit:  Ignoring someone doesn't prevent viewing the thread and if you ignore someone you can still read what they post if you want.....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 02:22:57 AM by papasmurff » Logged

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2007, 02:32:22 AM »

And therein lies my biggest fear - if we ignore the problem it won't solve it.  If someone is an actual nuisance to the community, would it be better for us to simply let people use the ignore function to stop the problem, or does addressing it with better rule systems seem a more responsible method?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2007, 02:46:01 AM »

I'm of the opinion that if there is a nuisance to the community, the community can take care of it themselves.   By my experience things have a way of working out to an acceptable equilibrium.  I'm not sure "better" rule systems really work, because the more complex it is, the easier it is to lawyer around it.  I mean, is it so horrible now that ANY new action needs to be taken? I'd say for the most part you guys do a bang up job. 

Just Hiro will do.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2007, 02:51:31 AM »

Really hesitant to say more on the matter considering previous receptions, but I learn slow.

There will still be moderators, there will still be rules of what's over the line around here.  Clowns will still be clowns until you kick them out of the circus.  No amount of heart to hearts will stop some people, and some people who you give them their self-perceived due man-to-man chat are going to dismiss your opinions without changing, and would rather make attempts at discrediting you or make you out to be an imbecile. Assuming you feel they are worth speaking to at all, of course, which seems unlikely.  The clowns will not be stopped with admonishments, appeals, nor the clearest rules of conduct. 

The ignore feature isn't about stopping clowns.  Its about User A controlling User A's enjoyment of the site, and perhaps thereby sticking around.  The Clowns still need to be moderated.  The Clowns that user A ignore can still contribute to User A's enjoyment on topics that User A thinks is worth a listening by just pressing a button.

You won't forget how to spot a clown because this goes into effect.  You'll just have some people who are happier that it's your job to spot them rather than their duty to suffer them.

Done posting
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2007, 03:33:31 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 09, 2007, 12:22:38 AM

Only a big pussy would say something like that.  Pussy. finger

O RLY?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2007, 05:54:46 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 09, 2007, 02:32:22 AM

And therein lies my biggest fear - if we ignore the problem it won't solve it.  If someone is an actual nuisance to the community, would it be better for us to simply let people use the ignore function to stop the problem, or does addressing it with better rule systems seem a more responsible method?

Talking seriously here now, IMO looking at the ignore feature as a 'solution' is going about it the wrong way.  It's simply a tool some people can use.

If things get out of hand, you still have moderation.  I don't believe you guys were expecting the ignore feature to replace moderators, so when you get right down to it, on a management standpoint you weren't really going to use it as a solution anyway.

I can't believe I'm making points about keeping it.

I would weigh my personal feelings on the side of those saying people need to learn to play nice with others... but do they really?  Some people learn, some people don't.  So if someone is simply incapable of playing nice, they can ignore, be ignored, or moderation actions against them can proceed.  With the ignore feature around, it kind of removes some of their excuses.  Also, maybe it will lessen the amount of complaints to the moderators, since a person can always ignore somebody they dislike.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 09, 2007, 05:54:46 AM

Talking seriously here now, IMO looking at the ignore feature as a 'solution' is going about it the wrong way.  It's simply a tool some people can use.

If it's not a solution to anything, why have it?  If the ignore button wouldn't have helped the PS3 fights that led to the button's implementation, why are we implementing it?
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2007, 02:51:03 PM »

Maybe I'm being a little too melOOdramatic

I see what you did there.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2007, 03:09:10 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on January 09, 2007, 02:51:03 PM

I too see what he did there.  He really needs to learn how to spell.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2007, 03:41:04 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 09, 2007, 03:09:10 PM

Quote from: Beer Goggles on January 09, 2007, 02:51:03 PM

I too see what he did there.  He really needs to learn how to spell.
icon_lol

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2007, 03:51:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 09, 2007, 01:37:50 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on January 09, 2007, 05:54:46 AM

If it's not a solution to anything, why have it?  If the ignore button wouldn't have helped the PS3 fights that led to the button's implementation, why are we implementing it?

All it does it creates the Computer Administered Limited Layout Obnoxious User System. The problem with it is that it doesn't add anything to the forum, it creates gaps in the flow of the site. It would be like replacing the sound of a cowbell in a song with static hiss, when clearly there SHOULD be that cowbell. If people don't like cowbells then they're not going to listen to the song. The replacement of static doesn't make the song any more valid, or get that user to buy-in to the community dedicated to enjoying said music. They are cowbell-haters, and should move along.

Let the commercial success of the site rest on the front-end; this is the lounge where people are welcome to join the atmosphere, or leave it at their leisure. Look at the people who are here. Do you want those people to drift away because we now have cowbell-haters tastes (or their percieved tastes) create a disjointed sense of harmony?

I stand for cowbells. I say it loud, and I say it PROUD.

CLANK! CLANK! CLANK!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2007, 11:18:15 PM »

I've got a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2007, 11:47:35 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 09, 2007, 11:18:15 PM

Cowbell is the cure for everything, including the ignore feature!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2007, 12:46:54 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 09, 2007, 11:18:15 PM

The cowbell cometh......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2007, 01:05:50 AM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on January 09, 2007, 02:46:01 AM

I'm of the opinion that if there is a nuisance to the community, the community can take care of it themselves.   By my experience things have a way of working out to an acceptable equilibrium.  I'm not sure "better" rule systems really work, because the more complex it is, the easier it is to lawyer around it.  I mean, is it so horrible now that ANY new action needs to be taken? I'd say for the most part you guys do a bang up job. 

I am of the opinion that your opinion is my opinion and my opinion is your opinion and that our opinions are quite clearly correct.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2007, 01:59:33 AM »

Before I can even weigh in on this issue I have to ask a simple question:

Seriously....what the fuck is going on?  Why are people so on edge and pissed off?  People that are normally even keeled and well adjusted have completely gone ape shit and off the deep end. Long time members quitting, people with posts in the thousands asking me directly to ban them, and people just being rude in general.  Be brutally honest - what triggered this shitstorm?  If you can't voice your opinion on what caused it publically, send me a PM.  I'm losing sleep over this and I don't like it.  C'mon people...help me understand.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: