http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 07:00:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Lord Ebonstone banned?  (Read 4786 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2006, 06:53:52 PM »

I noticed his tag has been changed to that, but he and I are in the middle of a business transaction, and I needed to verify some stuff with him. Can someone confirm if he is banned permanently? What happened exactly?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 07:21:26 PM »

I can confirm, but I cannot list details. Thats up to mod staff. I might also have his email, so contact me if you can't get in touch with him. He's a good kid to trade with JBlank, he's been 100% reliable to me for a couple years.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 07:28:05 PM »

Yeah, I had a trade with him a few months ago and it was very smooth with no issues. 
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 07:34:33 PM »

lol

I wonder what forum I frequent will he next get banned from? 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »

That sucks - I thought he brought out some good points in some discussions.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 07:44:02 PM »

Yeah he was recently perma-banned.  He'd do great for awhile then he'd cut loose with the abuse, we'd get reports by forum members, we'd talk to him (and eventually temp-banned him), he'd agree to not do it again and do great for awhile and then...  Lather, rinse, repeat.

It sucks cuz I did like him and his perspective but the above cycle eventually reaches its limit.

I can get you his email so you can complete your trade.  Just PM me and let me know.  He was an insanely prolific and reliable trader.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:44:45 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 06, 2006, 07:37:25 PM

That sucks - I thought he brought out some good points in some discussions.

He definitely did and he is very intelligent from what I gathered......but man was he ever abrasive. I've had my problems with what I have said on forums before, but jeez LE seemed to just post so he could fight and stir up trouble. Nice enough guy when talking to him 1 on 1 via PM, but a different character when posting in the forums.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 07:47:02 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 06, 2006, 07:44:02 PM

Yeah he was recently perma-banned.  He'd do great for awhile then he'd cut loose with the abuse, we'd get reports by forum members, we'd talk to him (and eventually temp-banned him), he'd agree to not do it again and do great for awhile and then...  Lather, rinse, repeat.

It sucks cuz I did like him and his perspective but the above cycle eventually reaches its limit.

I can get you his email so you can complete your trade.  Just PM me and let me know.

Thanks for the explanation, that was helpful.

He had already paid me, but his address at Northwestern was unconfimed through Paypal, and just looked, well, not exactly right. What I needed to do was speak to him to verify that he got the package I sent. If you can get me his email addy, I would appreciate it.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:08:28 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 06, 2006, 07:44:02 PM

I can get you his email so you can complete your trade.  Just PM me and let me know.  He was an insanely prolific and reliable trader.

Yeah, I hope maybe he can behave himself well enough in the future to beg himself a "new beginning".
Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 09:25:02 PM »

throw a pm to me jblank, ill get whatever info you need to him.

brotherly love ftw

Gamertag: omg nintendo64
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 10:26:48 PM »

Quote from: Luminescent Pubes on December 06, 2006, 09:25:02 PM

throw a pm to me jblank, ill get whatever info you need to him.

brotherly love ftw
Tell him to send me an email so I have his updated contact info puber.
Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 11:02:23 PM »

kk

Gamertag: omg nintendo64
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 12:40:21 AM »

tear

That really, really sucks.

TheMissingLink on PSN
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 06:31:40 PM »

I agree that sucks.. looked at the last page of posts he made and didn't find anything that should warrant a ban. The dude had 3500+ posts and was an active member here.

Might turn this into a short story like I did on the planetdreamcast forums years ago..  icon_biggrin

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdreamcast/topic.asp?fid=2387&tid=250136&p=1#1432643

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on this exchange:

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 27, 2006, 08:04:32 PM

Quote from: Gwar21 on November 26, 2006, 08:49:16 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 25, 2006, 11:53:27 PM

As evidenced by the last two presidential elections (or XBox Live), the majority of Americans* are ignorant, racist, jingoistic, homophobic fuckwits.

With your having called several times in the past for civil war and genocide against all conservative Christians, I'd say you're really not qualified to be passing judgement on your fellow Americans.
Considering being a conservative Christian makes you an ignorant, racist, jingoistic, homophobic fuckwit by default, I don't really think you have a point.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 07:04:41 PM »

Quote from: Ænima on December 07, 2006, 06:52:45 PM

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on this exchange:

Quote from: Gwar21 on November 26, 2006, 08:49:16 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 25, 2006, 11:53:27 PM

As evidenced by the last two presidential elections (or XBox Live), the majority of Americans* are ignorant, racist, jingoistic, homophobic fuckwits.

With your having called several times in the past for civil war and genocide against all conservative Christians, I'd say you're really not qualified to be passing judgement on your fellow Americans.
Considering being a conservative Christian makes you an ignorant, racist, jingoistic, homophobic fuckwit by default, I don't really think you have a point.

I think we have a winner.

gellar
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 07:15:26 PM »

I think he might have said poop. We don't need potty-mouths here. slywink

Eh... he rode the razors edge here. I don't dislike him, but in the last month he got pretty dark and abrasive (that's like saying "The sandpaper *began* to chafe"  icon_wink).

I hope he can beg his way back in at some point. He challenged us with his "unique" perspective.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »

I'd be willing to hear some discussion on the matter.  If you, as a community, agree he should be given another chance, I'll discuss it with the mods and managers.  I just run the place, but you guys make up the community at large.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 07:44:19 PM »

I noticed he had the Banned tag when I was digging up the stats for my retrospective.

I thought it was a joke tag.

Oh well.

He had been pretty money lately and I even commented to him that I appreciated his insights, but I think he's had enough chances. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 07:52:22 PM »

Actually, why don't you invite him back and ask him to bring a friend or two!  Cause God knows comments like the above are so insightful and thought provoking, I'm surprised we make it a day without him.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 08:16:28 PM »

I think he should be invited back, but on the condition that if he fucks up again, he's gone for good.
I guess working in a jail those kind of comments are second nature to me so no big deal.. and I don't pretend to know the whole story but it seems like he just got banned out of the blue without any kind of discussion on it first.
He was obviously a contributing and active member here and that's why I'm sorry to see him go.

Now that he's actually been banned, giving him a second shot at coming back should keep his comments a little more in check.

Everybody deserves a second chance..  icon_wink

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 08:23:16 PM »

LD,

I have no problems with him being banned. He made the comment(s) that offended.

That being said, I think the hammer of bannination was swung without him being given the opportunity to swallow some pride and at least state that hey, maybe that was over the line.

I think we can show a little tolerance to someone like -LE-; it's not like he's showing up and dropping stupid comments all over the place. He is a contributor to this site, and we take all flavors; even bitter ones.

I think that one comment came off for him as "clever" ... he likes recycling sentences that contain offensive material. We sometimes need to know when it truly isn't meant; he knows that there are conservative christians on the forum. If he truly thought that they all are, why would he bother with 3500+posts to a bunch of "fuck-wits"?

He may have pissed off a 100 lurkers with that comment, and that is a bad thing for the site. But I think it is worse to not allow him to express his intent or an apology for a breach of conduct.

If that line came from someone with no history, I would have expected a "WTF" series of messages and that person would have had the chance to retract. I expect no less for LE.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 08:45:36 PM »

The point is he has the history.  He's been temp banned before, no?  He knows the rules.

I'm all for his usual wit and insight, but why should GT enable him?  Let him move on to somewhere else...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 08:47:18 PM »

I see where you guys are coming from.  

However, I was under the assumption that a "permanent" banning meant that numerous warnings were already issued, (most likely behind the scenes, so as not to bring potential shame to the person being warned);  and that "out of the blue" bannings are something that absolutely do not happen here.

Regardless of how abrasive this particular individual is - I can't imagine he wasn't given numerous chances to rectify his "over-the-line" behavior.  Also, keep in mind that the average joe (like us) has no access whatsoever to the number of complaints issued against others.  But again, I think the way GT tends to handle these things are much more private than the average site.  Of course, I am stating only my assumptions here.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 08:51:33 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 07, 2006, 08:45:36 PM

The point is he has the history.  He's been temp banned before, no?  He knows the rules.

I'm all for his usual wit and insight, but why should GT enable him?  Let him move on to somewhere else...

I agree with ATB. I've known him since the early GG days and this is his history, for better or worse. I never had a problem with him directly but his postings somehow always devolve into mudslinging at any one or any thing he dislikes. There are millions of people out there who use the internet and not all of them have such hair tempers. He's done, we move on as a group, and welcome other people into our house. When one or two of them become equally unruly we show them the door and continue on. Such is life.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 09:02:51 PM »

And I can see and even agree with that point. I'm just not wanting to be the HR person assigned to replacing our surly curmugeon (Myto would be proud!). He ran off the worse evils in the world. He was our Megabyte. slywink

A poll could help clear this up, but frankly I don't even know if he WANTS back.

The only reason I have reservations about flushing and forgetting LE is that if that truly WAS the comment that got him banned, I don't know that he knew he stepped over the line. I certainly didn't read that post and think : "Ooo, heads are gonna roll, boys."

Ah well. If he's gone, he's gone. I'm not going to fight for him; I just didn't see THAT message as perma-ban material. If he dropped a bunch of unacceptable messages all over the place, but we're talking about freaking on a guy for one misstep (that I know of).

He could have crapped on King and Country in the sports section, I'd never know. Is this fueled by one offended reader or is this a group of fellas and gals who've just plain had enough?

He was temp banned (about a year and a half ago; IIRC). I'm not one for censorship so I don't feel like we have to muzzle peoples opinions. Someone like LE is very opinionated, and often dead wrong. Does that invalidate him as a member of the community? I think not. I've seen a vast improvement in his attitude over the past 2 years; he used to regularly cut people down.

He fell off the wagon once, and maybe didn't realize it. If he was banned last month, then a perma-ban is something I'd support wholeheartedly. I don't know if he was, so I'm not one to pass that judgement on.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 09:05:23 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 07, 2006, 08:47:18 PM

I see where you guys are coming from. 

However, I was under the assumption that a "permanent" banning meant that numerous warnings were already issued, (most likely behind the scenes, so as not to bring potential shame to the person being warned);  and that "out of the blue" bannings are something that absolutely do not happen here.

Regardless of how abrasive this particular individual is - I can't imagine he wasn't given numerous chances to rectify his "over-the-line" behavior.  Also, keep in mind that the average joe (like us) has no access whatsoever to the number of complaints issued against others.  But again, I think the way GT tends to handle these things are much more private than the average site.  Of course, I am stating only my assumptions here.

Your assumptions are correct.  This would be a third chance, and one past the aformentioned 'last chance' if we unbanned him now.  I don't particularly like making things like this public, and for every reason mentioned above.  I concur with all of you that he was a good member of the community, and contributed quite often.  The problem is that every once in a while he'd go so far off the deep end as to be a problem. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 09:24:26 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 07, 2006, 08:47:18 PM

However, I was under the assumption that a "permanent" banning meant that numerous warnings were already issued, (most likely behind the scenes, so as not to bring potential shame to the person being warned);  and that "out of the blue" bannings are something that absolutely do not happen here.

Regardless of how abrasive this particular individual is - I can't imagine he wasn't given numerous chances to rectify his "over-the-line" behavior.  Also, keep in mind that the average joe (like us) has no access whatsoever to the number of complaints issued against others.  But again, I think the way GT tends to handle these things are much more private than the average site.  Of course, I am stating only my assumptions here.

That's a pretty accurate description of the events.  There are no "out of the blue" bannings unless it's a spambot.  Almost all of it happened privately between the mods, Ron and Lord Ebonstone.  There was a long history of problems dating back almost two years.  His being banned at Gone Gold and Octopus Overlords and Quarter to Three had no carryover here - everyone is given a blank slate and enough rope to hang themselves with.

We're generally pretty hands-off around here unless someone repeatedly becomes a problem.  To paraphrase an email sent to him: there were 7 or 8 posts reported to us by users concerned over demeaning and hostile he'd said, six separate posts in the last 18 months or so on our moderators board discussing problematic posts from him, two temporary bannings and several lines that were drawn with a big sign that said "Do not cross" that were repeatedly crossed.  We felt we had spent enough time moderating his posts, the pattern showed no sign of changing so the plug was pulled.  I didn't like seeing him go but ultimately we can't control his behavior and the choices he made.

What's really weird is I was the one who started the "Did Lord Ebonstone get banned?" post at Gone Gold after he got the axe there.  (cue Twilight Zone music...)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 09:28:19 PM »

I'd be all for reinstating him if anyone actually thought he wouldn't just go off and get himself banned again eventually.  If anyone here actually believes that, well... yeah.  I'll just leave it at that.

Once is an aberration, twice is coincidence, three times is a trend.

gellar
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 09:31:57 PM »

I saw we ban Eduardo_X as an example to others as well. icon_cool

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 09:36:24 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 07, 2006, 09:31:57 PM

I saw we ban Eduardo_X as an example to others as well. icon_cool

For the record, I am for this.

gellar
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 10:20:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 07, 2006, 09:02:51 PM

The only reason I have reservations about flushing and forgetting LE is that if that truly WAS the comment that got him banned, I don't know that he knew he stepped over the line.

Maybe you'd see it differently if you were Gwar21.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 04:36:59 AM »

I think if he had been banned before, he should know better than to press his luck.  To be banned and then come back and do the same thing is downright disrespectful.
I'm sure he's a smart guy and knew that posting what he did could bring the ban stick.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 04:43:58 AM »

With regards to Gwar21; I gotta assume that Gwar is named after the band.  saywhat THAT would offend a Gwar fan?  paranoid icon_biggrin I'm not sure that would be my typical image of a "conservative Christian". To expose people to the context, Gwar is known to spray their live audiences with white foam from a giant phallus.

As to the "banned before" when is the last time you got a speeding ticket for being a little over the line? Have you gotten one since? Did they revoke your license based on it, permanently?

That's the point I was trying to make. If he got a warning last month, then burn him. If his last occurrence was over 6 months ago, I think there should be some statute of limitation or some consideration. I don't see that his comment needs to yank him from a board that I personally enjoy visiting so much. I am playing devil's advocate (although I doubt Devil would be trying to keep him here) as we should try to see all sides to the story. He can go off the deep end, but he's gotten a whole lot better about it. Was he truly making this place an unwelcome forum to visit?

Was it the "jingoistic" comment or are we hens just pecking at gravel? Was there something more intense that I'm not aware of? If you guys don't want to post it, that's fine. PM is OK too.  nod

Also, I am not evaluating Gwar21 as < -LE- based on history or post count. I just can't see how one flippant remark from a guy on the net would get to me, especially when you're taking a swing at him in the first place. LE dropped a troll post, and he replied to it. What did he expect would be the response? I am also not condoning the actions of LE in that one reply, but I am highlighting it as _one_ comment. If there isn't recent CoC violations, perma-ban seems harsh.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:54:27 AM by Purge » Logged

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 05:02:35 AM »

Not that I have any insider knowledge or anything, but I think the guys here like to run things behind the scenes. It'd be my guess that either a mod approached LE about the above quoted comments in a private way and that interchange didn't go well, or there's an entire private messaged conversation between LE and a non-mod that crossed the line. The bannination couldn't have been from the interchange with GWAR21 alone.

P.S. - Who knew someone named Purge would be so troubled by a removal.  icon_wink
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:04:41 AM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 05:18:02 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 08, 2006, 05:02:35 AM

Not that I have any insider knowledge or anything, but I think the guys here like to run things behind the scenes. It'd be my guess that either a mod approached LE about the above quoted comments in a private way and that interchange didn't go well, or there's an entire private messaged conversation between LE and a non-mod that crossed the line. The bannination couldn't have been from the interchange with GWAR21 alone.

P.S. - Who knew someone named Purge would be so troubled by a removal.  icon_wink
The mods here under almost no circumstances interfere with private message conversations unless it reaches the level of harassment or threats. That was not likely it. I guarantee you it was LE's bash of the Christian conservative that did him in-which I think is misguided. While he should have removed a few expletives, I find it exceedingly distasteful that he was reported for saying that he had no love for conservative Christians. Either way, as someone who has really seen it all on this forum I think that those reporting threads should take a deep breath, look at the way the board operates, and try to work things out in public or in PM before they simply slap the report post button. I am not saying LE hadn't used up his rope-but if you are a certain level of sensitive, its entirely possible the internet is not the safest place for you.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:25:14 AM by Calvin » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 05:20:56 AM »

"Purge : the Demon Within ..." is the full name.  icon_twisted

Right now LW is the demon without ... GT, that is.

I relied on him for medicinal purposes. As soon as I started agreeing with him, I knew it was time to up the dosages!  :slywink: wasted

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 05:47:28 AM »

He was banned, and with good reason.  The statement was nothing but a bigotted troll post.  If he wants to post stuff like that, he can find someplace else that will surely cater to his beliefs.  There isn't any difference between what he said and something like, "Being Muslim makes you a suicide-bombing, anti-American terrorist."

As far as a "statue of limitations," do you let a cancer grow for six months, remove, and then let it grow again?  And how long do you go?  A week?  A month?  Six months?  Most of the people on here never have to worry about warnings on the board and can act civilized.  He couldn't do it.  If anything, I believe the mods have been more than accomidating.  They go above and beyond with the users.  If they ban someone, then that person must have caused a lot of issues for a long time.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 07:14:05 AM »

The trade/deals I've had with LE has been very good (all the way back to GG days).  It seems every so often he flies off the handle, and it almost seems unintentional.  Couldn't we moderate his post?  It seems to me that when reason is put in front of him, he listens and at times are genuinely sorry - and has no problem apologizing.  I may or may not agree with his posting - but I appreciate the different viewpoints his posts brings and would miss his insight.  But in any case, I think with whatever Ron and the mods go with, I am OK with.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 02:11:47 PM »

That's what I mean, LE has a long history here and he's not somebody who just showed up out of the blue and advertised free russian mail order brides or a guarenteed penis enlargement pill.. I still can't find anything offensive that he said looking at his past posts. People need to grow some skin. You can only get offended if you let something offend you, and my god, this is the INTERNET! How can anyone take anyone says personally? It's like the little punks on Xbox Live "Fuck you! You're mother is a ugly whore!" Umm.. this kid hasn't seen and doesn't know your mother.. so how is something going to take offense to it?
I'm not saying we need to turn the boards into total anarchy, but at the same time we should have a fair balance between both free speech and respect for all board members here.
That's why, IMO, constant personal attacks should come with warnings, and ultimately, a ban.

I'm all for LE coming back and don't think he was given the chance he deserves, but hey I'm not in charge here and do respect the mods here, so while I definitely don't agree with LE being banned, I certainly respect the mods decision to do it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: