http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:51:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is GT mobile device friendly?  (Read 2296 times)
unbreakable
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:45:52 AM »

I just read people musing about redesigning their sites for the iPhone, but while that seems like jumping the gun, I was wondering if GT is mobile browser friendly?

I know plenty of people here have Blackberries, but I've never tried coming here on mine: I kind of limit my mobile browsing to news sites because of the poor load times, and because they seem to be the only sites which function somewhat decent on a mobile browser.
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »

The forums are ok on a blackberry.  The key is that there are not too many graphics cause slow loading of pages.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:13:25 PM »

Are you referring to just the forums or the main site?

Our redesign of the main site will eventually be optimized for mobile devices, though we are kind of taking a 'wait and see' attitude about that, as the trend for displaying webpages on mobile devices is currently leaning toward displaying them as they already are (which is what the iPhone will do and Opera Mini 4 beta is already doing).

Not sure about the forums....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 01:37:34 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 25, 2007, 01:13:25 PM

Are you referring to just the forums or the main site?

Our redesign of the main site will eventually be optimized for mobile devices, though we are kind of taking a 'wait and see' attitude about that, as the trend for displaying webpages on mobile devices is currently leaning toward displaying them as they already are (which is what the iPhone will do and Opera Mini 4 beta is already doing).

Not sure about the forums....

It's ok on my Q. Not good, not average-"ok". I rarely need to use it to browse, and I can browse enough to get by, but if the redesign helps it along that would be great.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 05:10:49 PM »

Yeah it works, but it's fairly graphic intensive.  If I'm in an EVDO area, it works fine.

I worry about people trying to browse the web on the iPhone's EDGE network though.  That won't be fun.

gellar
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 07:24:46 PM »

I browse both the forums and the main site from my phone on a regular basis and don't have any major problems (although gellar is right - the amount of graphics that have been added over the years have caused a lot more waiting in between pages)

And just so no one is in for a disappointment - I wouldn't expect the redesign to make things any better for mobile customers. If anything it will get worse as the pages sizes are increasing and more graphical elements are added.

It'll look nice though

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on June 25, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

And just so no one is in for a disappointment - I wouldn't expect the redesign to make things any better for mobile customers. If anything it will get worse as the pages sizes are increasing and more graphical elements are added.

It'll look nice though

Not to mention that we'll have more than twice the amount of content on the front page  slywink

Once we get the redesign up and running I'll be looking at mobile solutions.

Mike Dunn
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 12:56:27 AM »

is there a way to have it change the display based on the brower?
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 03:04:12 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 26, 2007, 12:56:27 AM

is there a way to have it change the display based on the brower?

If the browser recognizes the mobile stylesheet it will use that for display.

Mike Dunn
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 03:24:24 AM »

forum works very well on my cellphone.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 09:38:02 AM »

I've browsed the forums and news page on my PSP before.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 12:35:09 PM »

works well on my PDA--minus posting.  After I post I get a white screen and just have to hit back a couple of times....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 03:52:04 PM »

I've had good luck on my Blackberry.  I made one or two posts, but I can't see doing it too much: it takes so damn long to type stuff with a BB.

Also, the GT page seems very plain text, something you will very much appreciate if using a mobile browser.  The main page loads a few of the headline pics, but it doesn't seem to slow things down.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 07:49:21 AM »

Some sites have a quick and simple mobile sub-site that's basically all text.

You can go to http://m.pspfanboy.com/ for such a site.  I'm sure there's more to it, but you can just plug in the database entries to just show the basic article text, maybe some ads, and skip the rest of the graphics.

These days, mobile internet devices are becoming more common.  I know I actually used my PSP to log on to GT once while at a Gamestop using the next door tmobile hotspot (psp guys get to use it free for a while) to read a review for a game.  GT saved me some money that day.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 04:06:34 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 20, 2007, 07:49:21 AM

Some sites have a quick and simple mobile sub-site that's basically all text.

You can go to http://m.pspfanboy.com/ for such a site.  I'm sure there's more to it, but you can just plug in the database entries to just show the basic article text, maybe some ads, and skip the rest of the graphics.

These days, mobile internet devices are becoming more common.  I know I actually used my PSP to log on to GT once while at a Gamestop using the next door tmobile hotspot (psp guys get to use it free for a while) to read a review for a game.  GT saved me some money that day.

We are looking into some solutions post-relaunch for this sort of thing.  I agree that having a mobile solution, especially in the age of the iPhone, is important.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 05:23:58 PM »

I think I have posted this before - If I visit the forums using my Treo 750 and the IE browser I get a special lo-fi version.  All text, 3-5 posts per page when you click on a topic.

Looks like this: http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?;wap2

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 20, 2007, 05:23:58 PM

OOoooo, Renegade. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 10:21:07 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 20, 2007, 05:23:58 PM

I think I have posted this before - If I visit the forums using my Treo 750 and the IE browser I get a special lo-fi version.  All text, 3-5 posts per page when you click on a topic.

Looks like this: http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?;wap2

Dude. Why does that ;wap2 thing cause it to go into mobile-friendly mode like that? Is it a forum feature or something?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 07:02:23 AM »

I have to say I kind of like the mostly text look on the browser, but yeah, the pages are WAY too short.

Also, when you have quotes (or even worse, quotes within quotes) it doesn't differentiate amongst the text in any way.  The entire post is just one big blob of look-alike text, at least on the BB browser.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 11:30:54 PM »

I figured out the URL by poking around the Simple Machines forums. I assume that there is a pref in setup saying to offer up that version of the forum URL for certain browser types. If you use Minimo, you get the regular version of the site.

Another weakness of the wap site is it doesn't honor spoiler tags.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 10:23:49 PM »

Just for everyone's curiousity, I'll try out the BB browser with IE emulation this week.  It usually seems to help display and formatting, but I personally prefer the textiness (is that a word?) of the BB browser, since it's so much faster.  And really, I'm usually not far from a computer, so I can generally wait to use the forums on a real browser.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: