http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 01:46:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Images in signatures...  (Read 1841 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:45:19 PM »

Is there a way to turn this on and still maintain limitations? I'd like to be able to use the strip or micro sigs available from www.mygamercard.net  and there have been a few others who've mentioned some interest.

I understand both bandwidth and readability are in question here; I don't need to see a fullpage Alba img everytime someone posts a msg.

On the other hand we're under the "no soup for you; one year" policy. frown

Here are the 4 versions :

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 05:53:27 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Is there a way to turn this on and still maintain limitations? I'd like to be able to use the strip or micro sigs available from www.mygamercard.net  and there have been a few others who've mentioned some interest.

I understand both bandwidth and readability are in question here; I don't need to see a fullpage Alba img everytime someone posts a msg.

On the other hand we're under the "no soup for you; one year" policy. frown

Here are the 4 versions :

I'll look into it - the problem is that there is no way to limit anyone from posting that 500k picture of Jessica Alba in their sig rather than this.  Still, I'll talk to Mykos and have him see what he can do.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:17:57 PM »

See, I clicked on this thread and my fast internet still took 15 seconds to load the images you linked-and I am worried about the original reason we turned it off-no way to limit those ugly ass sigs that we had for awhile smile I would love limiting it to gamercards or something like that, but that woudl have to be sort of just a by your own honor rule.
Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:25:39 PM »

I will look to see if there are any modificatiosn for sig images.  We can currently limit the number of characters in a signature, but not image sizes.

Michael Haniotes

"When you woke up this morning you put your faith in something or someone, what or who was it?"
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 09:35:42 PM »

My super fast cable took a minute. Maybe it depends on where the file is hosted too. and what type it is. Updated stats type ones will always take longer than a static image file.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »

There is a mod that allows a more robust admin control of signatures.  I will look at it more later this evening.  It appears to have a image control section.

Michael Haniotes

"When you woke up this morning you put your faith in something or someone, what or who was it?"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 10:10:59 PM »

For the record, I'm against it.  My own personal opinion (taking off the mod hat for a moment) is that they clutter things up and are not necessary.  We already have avatars and signatures which provide ample opportunities for personalization.  Game profiles like Xfire and gamercards could be easily linked to in a signature.

There's my two cents.  That said, if we do have signature images I want a Jessica Alba full page one.   Cool
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 10:19:55 PM »

I agree with warning.  When the need arises we usually devote a thread to dumping the Gamercard, BF2 Stats, etc. into.  Like everybody has noted, these sigs just took forever to load.  Are they really necessary outside of the appropriate threads?  I look at other forums and see the clutter they become and it looks and loads like hell.

If GT does allow pics in sigs PLEASE give users an option to disable them like we can with the avatars.  I like the avatars but am thankful they are static.

I do like that bottom one, the small strip, that Purge posted.  I could live with one that small IF it loaded quickly.  Unfortunately that isn't guaranteed.

If somebody with some PHP skills wanted to get their hands dirty I'm sure they could code up a dimension limit like we have for avatars.  There's enough work in progress here to throw that on the workload.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 10:25:11 PM »

I kinda like the one that looks like  it's about the same size as the avatars.  Would there be a way to make it your avatar and have it autmoatically update with your latest info?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 10:30:06 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
I kinda like the one that looks like  it's about the same size as the avatars.  Would there be a way to make it your avatar and have it autmoatically update with your latest info?

I don't think so since the .jpg of the avatar is stored on the site and isn't clickable.  Might just be the resolution I run, but I can hardly read the text.

If you were sick you could just save it as a .jpg file and update it every time you login. :twisted:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 10:44:43 PM »

Count me  in the camp that doesn't want 'em.  Too much clutter.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 03:20:15 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "CeeKay"

I don't think so since the .jpg of the avatar is stored on the site and isn't clickable.  Might just be the resolution I run, but I can hardly read the text.

If you were sick you could just save it as a .jpg file and update it every time you login. :twisted:

Well, I have my resolution set at 1024 x 768, so it's still readable.  Any higher resolution probably would be hard to read.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 02:53:39 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
For the record, I'm against it.  My own personal opinion (taking off the mod hat for a moment) is that they clutter things up and are not necessary.  We already have avatars and signatures which provide ample opportunities for personalization.  Game profiles like Xfire and gamercards could be easily linked to in a signature.

Ditto, I can't stand sites that allow sig images.  For some reason it gives the appearance that the site is more juvenile than a site without images.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 04:35:33 AM »

That, and some technical reasons have pushed the overwhelming majority of the staff and several readers to say 'no sale' to this.  Sorry guys.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: