http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:51:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GT supports conservative organizations?  (Read 2037 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2008, 06:13:09 AM »

I noticed that one of the ads GT has running is for Newsmax.com. A conservative website masquerading as a news site. Does this mean GT supports the site or it's a random ad that popped up?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:38:51 AM »

If it's an advertisement then they are paying us.  Therefore a conservative organization is supporting us.  Apparently so is the ABC show Life on Mars, Free 2-Play MMOG Florensia, The Noosphere (whatever the heck that is), and the 2008 Diet of the Year.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »

So it doesn't matter who advertises, along as they are paying?
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »

Being a consultant, which is one step up from prostitution because of all of the whoring for billable time, I can understand the dilemma. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 04:38:59 PM »

I don't care as long as the advertisements don't go the way of the anti Obama type. The one I saw last night was about Obama, but not over the top ("Obama Finished?") which took you to a poll about who you were voting for. Knowing who Newsmax is though, I wouldn't be surprised if they got to be a little more attacking.

Digital Blasphemy recently went through this. He had generic ads that he didn't pick and some of them were political. People were quitting the site over it and I believe he switched to someone who wouldn't do political ads.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 07, 2008, 04:38:59 PM

I don't care as long as the advertisements don't go the way of the anti Obama type. The one I saw last night was about Obama, but not over the top ("Obama Finished?") which took you to a poll about who you were voting for. Knowing who Newsmax is though, I wouldn't be surprised if they got to be a little more attacking.

Digital Blasphemy recently went through this. He had generic ads that he didn't pick and some of them were political. People were quitting the site over it and I believe he switched to someone who wouldn't do political ads.

I can certainly understand the concern skewed ads may have on the GT population.  But I guess I'm not as worried because I rarely pay much attention to them.  I don't really take much notice until someone brings them to the group's attention (such as in one of rick's threads when he noticed an ad popup that treated the topic of cancer with little tact).  While I am more passionate about the upcoming election than any other election I've ever voted in, a pro-McCain ad might irk me, but it wouldn't be enough to leave the site.  Plus, I know Ron personally, and he's probably more likely to leave the site over a McCain ad than I am.   icon_wink 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 04:47:51 PM »

I suspect most of them are Google-related and have to do with the topic of the post.  It's pretty much the same as at Quarter to Three and several other sites.  It helps pay Ron's bills and is certainly a step up from the gold-farming ads we used to get.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 06:48:07 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 07, 2008, 04:44:15 PM

I can certainly understand the concern skewed ads may have on the GT population. I always pay much attention to them and hope that all advertisers would continue to support GT because I, and all other readers of the site have a keen interest in their products, views and content.

Goodness gracious, Pete! I FTFY.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »

It's Google Ads.  We police it as much as we can, but they are dynamically served from keywords on the content of the page.  If the ad is political in nature, there's a decent chance it's because you're in the R&P forum and it's a crazy-ass election year.

Google Ads is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to serving ads here.  We will be pursuing a more appropriate ad structure once certain things are in place.  In the meantime, it is likely that some ads will be served via google that some people may not agree with.  Can't be helped and frankly, I think you'd rather have us work on the more interesting parts of the site than click around for retarded keyword/ad combinations. slywink

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:37:05 PM »

Can we start a thread for odd keywords and see what interesting ads we get?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 10:40:30 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 07, 2008, 09:37:05 PM

Can we start a thread for odd keywords and see what interesting ads we get?

big boobed women?  goat.se? cat with bacon taped on it?  Tongue

I just saw an ad for Newt Gingrichs newsletter...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 01:29:43 AM »

It's that time of the year(s). Political campaigns, regardless of affiliation, are canvasing everything everywhere with campaign ads. GT remains non-partisan (save for all you nutjobs in the R&P forum) and will happily take money from whomever offers it. Especially if they promise to lower taxes on us and raise them on our enemies.... icon_twisted

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 02:48:28 AM »

Sorry - yes, it is a completely random ad.  If you find one that offends, I can certainly try to remove it from the pool. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 11:15:53 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 07, 2008, 06:48:07 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on October 07, 2008, 04:44:15 PM

I can certainly understand the concern skewed ads may have on the GT population. I always pay much attention to them and hope that all advertisers would continue to support GT because I, and all other readers of the site have a keen interest in their products, views and content.

Goodness gracious, Pete! I FTFY.

saywhat

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: