http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 05:42:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gonegold and Consolegold  (Read 2880 times)
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2004, 03:53:37 PM »

I'm a fan of both Gonegold and Consolegold.  However, as we all know, console discussion was in the beginning of gonegold the 'bastard child' that didn't get a lot of attention.  Gongold was primarily a PC-gaming site.

Now, if I'm correct, Consolegold 1.0 was created by a group of console-loving gonegold members to boost the console presence of gonegold, and to act as a sister site.  It was cool.  

I guess what bugs me now, and I'm not really looking for an answer or a solution, is the fact that there's parallel discussion at the two sites.  With the advent of Consolegold 2.0, there was quite a break from the original gonegold site.  

For one, I would like to see the users of both (that is, the Console gaming forum on gonegold and Consolegold 2.0) move most of their console discussion over to this site.  Are the sites so uninvolved with each other now that Gonegold can't point people with console interests over to this site and forum?  While there seemed to be an initial burst of people from GG posting information here right when CG 2.0 opened, many of them seem to have given up and just moved back to GG.  

This is in no way a criticism of either site, other than, perhaps, the fact that they don't seem to be collaborating anymore.  I guess I'm just interested in what can be done to make this a more vibrant community.

AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 04:08:30 PM »

First off, there is no collaboration between the sites at this point.  As far as I know, we have no contact with Gone Gold and they have no contact with us.

When we decided to make a new forum, Gone Gold's forum was having a myriad of problems and we wanted more diversity in our discussions outside of just the "Console Forum", therefore we started plans on a forum of our own when the new site began.

An offer was made to have "Console Forum" in GG be linked to this forum with a PC forum(s) here that would connect to the appropriate forums over on GG, creating a more cohesive forum experience between both sides.  Granted, there are problems with this because people would have to sign up over here as the usernames wouldn't transfer over more than likely (they might now if Gone Gold moves to the forum software they've been talking a long time about).  I'm not privvy to whether Ron Burke (who runs this site) ever heard back from anyone on the offer or not, but we were going to push the new site out hell or high water in early May.

I could sit here and expound about GG, Rich and their situation, but I won't.  Needless to say the Console Forum continues on over at GG and there are many people on both forums.  GG as a forum is a totally different beast than the main GG site.  The forum goers are extremely loyal at GG and I think the forum will live on whether the main site dies or not.

We basically had no choice but to draw a line in the sand in the context of the forum.  Whether GG said "no" to our offer or didn't say anything I'm not privvy to.  Basically, from my vantage point, Console Gold and Gone Gold are two separate sites that happened to at one point be sister sites.  We had hoped more people would come over to this forum, but I personally am not going to push them to do so.

If some user that is also a Gone Gold member would like to see Console talk over here, you should put it in the Console Forum over there about how much you like this forum and how you'd wish more GG people came over here.  The staffpeople here can't do it, we've been chided in the past when we were using GG's forums and the sites were sisterly.

I have no bad blood with GG, I just wish we could have come to an accord in a timely manner on the forum side of things.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 04:21:40 PM »

The only 'collaboration,' I think, is the link to Console Gold in the Console forum over there.  

All of the history aside, I guess the focus issue for me, then, is what can we do, as Console Gold readers and posters, to build up this community?  I just saw your post in another forum regarding your want for a forum with more detailed PC game discussion...  I guess I feel a little bit the same way about Console Gold.  I love the site, but I wish that the discussion were a little more fleshed-out.  

Just some thoughts.  I have no ill feelings towards Gonegold at all; in fact, I enjoy a lot of their discussion, though I'm sad that the main site has become, well, nothing worth visiting.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 04:35:06 PM »

Well, we did in fact discuss at great length possibly having the forums lead to eachother in the manner that Loren stated.  Unfortunately it never felt like it was 'supported' by the mods at GG and my attempts to talk to Rich about it never worked out.  

Beyond that, some of the features we have planned for the forum wouldn't have worked out as we have absolutely 0 control over GG's forums.  Frankly, the 'conversion' process has taken more than 9 months and was causing us to crash every time the forum software burped.  I can't expect my readers to put up with that level of instability.

We also wanted to change some of the rules that were in place at Gone Gold.  I have seen 0 negative backlash to having pricing in our trade forums.  Granted, they aren't as active as I'd like but we just have a different look on things here than over at GG.  We also wanted to expand our boards into several boards that would allow us to branch out a bit.  We have grown pretty dramatically in just a few months, and continue to grow.  

To answer your question, the best way to get things fired up in here is to start engaging conversations and tell your friends.  I try to toss out whatever is on my mind on these boards to get things going.  Any suggestions are more than welcome though.  

One last thing, Tom tried out a 60 minute mini-review thing for Tales of Symponia.  I think that worked out well, so I'm thinking we might be doing more of that in the future, but again, any suggestions are welcome. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 04:36:04 PM »

Well, the way to build the community is to get the word out.  Like I said, if you're interested in other GG members that aren't over here, you users need to start something in the GG forum about the issues you bring up (like the cross-posting and stuff).

There are 6844 registered users on GG, although I doubt even half of that (and maybe even less) are still posters on that forum.  Just getting the word out about this forum at other message boards and stuff will hopefully infuse users and discussion into this forum.  We think of this forum much like GG thinks of theirs.  We want this to be a place you can sit down with friends and discuss things with, set up multiplayer sessions with, etc.  We want it to be a friendly atmosphere, but we'd also like the family to grow.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 06:13:43 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

One last thing, Tom tried out a 60 minute mini-review thing for Tales of Symponia.  I think that worked out well, so I'm thinking we might be doing more of that in the future, but again, any suggestions are welcome. smile

I have to say that I thought that was a wonderful idea.  I get so sick of the 'impressions' thread that never have any worthwhile content in them.  The 60 minute review is a great idea because frankly, it's frequently the first 60 minutes of a game that determine whether you will play through the whole thing.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 02:19:59 PM »

For what it's worth, we did talk about linking the user database and such between the two sites, and having a shared member list so folks could sign up on one site or the other, and the login would work on both sites.

The research I did into it indicated that it was possible, but it didn't prove to be feasible in the long run for the following reasons:

1)  CG would've need to wait until GG's conversion was finished.

2)  The user database would've needed to reside on either GG's or CG's server.  The natural place for it to reside would've been GG's server, however the issue there was that GG's server was crashing and bogging down a lot, and that would've caused problems with CG's forums.

3)  Having a shared user database might've prevented the CG staff from implementing some of the stuff they wanted to do on the forums and with the site (like mods/hacks or tying it in with the main site functionality).

In the end, I don't think the idea died because of any reluctance on the part of GG's staff, but rather because of the host of technical issues that made it less than desireable.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 09:34:19 AM »

I still enjoy the GG forums but I mainly browse through EBG with a little stopover in PC Games.  The past couple years, my PC gaming has drastically declined while my console gaming has gone way up.   I probably spend about half my time here and half on GG.   I think I've been posting more here though.

I'll read the GG Console posts but if I post something it'll be here on Console Gold where I feel it belongs.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 12:08:59 AM »

I'd have to say that GG has been, as a site, very hard to support as a reader; but easy to like for it's active forums.

The only thing CG is missing is an active forum, and a fuzzy mascot. I can't come up with a fuzzy mascot (Rare stole my swearing, defacating, bastard squirrel idea) so all I can do is post here.

Who knows; maybe we'll get enough interest in the forums that it too will be the main reason to visit.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: