http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:41:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Consolidation?  (Read 1944 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »

The funny thing is, I had been pushing for more categories, including perhaps some catch-all for movies & TV (showbiz if you will), which at times entirely takes over the General category.

From my experience at a smaller forum that uses this type forum software, I'm not sure if "Child" sub-forums work much. People tend to forget they're there at all, and so little or no activity takes place in the child-boards.

It's hard to judge discussion activity cause if there aren't a lot of titles launching, or a lot of buzz building up to a mega-release (ala SWTOR), then you just won't see much discussion going on. And a lot of discussion tends to gradually fade off once a game has been out for a while.

I do know from my own experience running little forums on specific games (from my good old days running little fan sites for Darkstone, Incubation and others), that the more categories you have, the harder it gets to moderate and keep an eye on everything. I perceive that as a benefit of category consolidation. However, I don't really see consolidating as a magical way to increase forum traffic or to make people think the forums are busier than they actually are.

My main consolidation fear is it turns the first page into a mess (see Quarter to Three's "games" forum for example). Of course we can do Searches but those don't find everything, and as a non-console gamer I don't particularly want to wade through a bunch of stuff that's irrelevant to me to find something I'm interested in.

But hey, it's a forum I don't run, not a democracy. So they can do as they will, and I'll attempt to keep posting on what interests me until they kick me out. icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 10:33:16 PM »

thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown
Boooooo
 thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown
I have a Wii but am 99% PC (screw apple btw).  This makes it hard to filter.  Did we run out of electrons that we cannot support another row on the main forum page?
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 03:48:43 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 09, 2012, 05:18:28 AM

Quote from: Wargus on July 09, 2012, 04:40:07 AM

After poking around a bit, I agree the child forums are a bad idea.  I spend a bunch of time in off-topic, I spend almost no time in R&P unless I"m otherwise directed there.  Unless i click into R&P & use the 'mark all topics read', the Off topic forum will not show if I have unread posts in it in the main forum list. 

There are actually three icon states, no color for no new posts, light blue for new posts in the child forum, and dark blue for new posts in the parent forum.  I think the only combination that doesn't show differently is new posts in the child forum when there are also new posts in the main board.

Does that work in the BlackDay layout? because, I'm not seeing it. 

As for the merge, if we can get some of the filtering options that have been mentioned, I'd be happy.  But as others have said, sorting through through the chaff to find the interesting posts is annoying. 

It might make sense to create a forum to hold the long lived posts so they don't constantly scroll off the page using moderators discretion to move the posts or some voting method for the move. Although I'm not sure if that sounds as good in writing as it did in my head.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 04:06:03 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on July 10, 2012, 03:48:43 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 09, 2012, 05:18:28 AM

Quote from: Wargus on July 09, 2012, 04:40:07 AM

After poking around a bit, I agree the child forums are a bad idea.  I spend a bunch of time in off-topic, I spend almost no time in R&P unless I"m otherwise directed there.  Unless i click into R&P & use the 'mark all topics read', the Off topic forum will not show if I have unread posts in it in the main forum list. 

There are actually three icon states, no color for no new posts, light blue for new posts in the child forum, and dark blue for new posts in the parent forum.  I think the only combination that doesn't show differently is new posts in the child forum when there are also new posts in the main board.

Does that work in the BlackDay layout? because, I'm not seeing it. 

I just did a quick test and it doesn't look like it does.  At this point I would think anybody using BlackDay would know that it doesn't support much of anything.  slywink 

I agree that the child forums don't really "work" in general, except for The Sewer which I imagine nobody actually frequents and being hidden seems appropriate.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 04:33:24 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 10, 2012, 04:06:03 AM

...At this point I would think anybody using BlackDay would know that it doesn't support much of anything.  slywink 

I know. It is unfortunate because all I really want is a dark version of the existing forum. I'm not into all of that baby blue, it is like I have a wall of light in front of me.  I'd be thrilled if somebody would take the default forum layout & just swap the colors out for darker versions (blacks or dark blues would be fine).
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 05:00:07 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on July 10, 2012, 04:33:24 AM

...At this point I would think anybody using BlackDay would know that it doesn't support much of anything.  slywink 

I know. It is unfortunate because all I really want is a dark version of the existing forum. I'm not into all of that baby blue, it is like I have a wall of light in front of me.  I'd be thrilled if somebody would take the default forum layout & just swap the colors out for darker versions (blacks or dark blues would be fine).

+1 to this.  I can live with not having a spoiler tag button, but it would be nice to have a fully supported color scheme if possible. 

also, this must be my moment to fall into the sub-minor minority group here, but I don't mind the merge as I pretty much make the read unread page my home page anyways.  hell, it's nice enough that I wish other boards had their own. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 05:13:29 AM »

Quote from: Caine on July 10, 2012, 05:00:07 AM

Quote from: Wargus on July 10, 2012, 04:33:24 AM

+1 to this.  I can live with not having a spoiler tag button, but it would be nice to have a fully supported color scheme if possible. 

also, this must be my moment to fall into the sub-minor minority group here, but I don't mind the merge as I pretty much make the read unread page my home page anyways.  hell, it's nice enough that I wish other boards had their own. 

The problem is that the way SMF supports it, it's like the redheaded stepchild forum.  Sure you can patch stuff on the main layout, but stuff for the Black one has to be done by hand.  It's kinda...painful.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 05:28:28 AM »

I'm looking into doing a simple user controlled CSS swap for that. The base code I am looking into right now seems simple enough to provide an alternative.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »

Good. Cuz I'm getting tired of seeing CeeKay asking for a HelloKittyXXX forum theme.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »

Definitely not a fan of the combination of pc and console. I rarely went to console forum (because I have no interest in console games) so all it does for me is basically add 50% useless topics to a forum I frequented. Would rather put the MMO forum in the PC forum, but not sure if that would have the intended effect you guys are looking for.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »

Quote from: Toe on July 13, 2012, 11:51:03 AM

Definitely not a fan of the combination of pc and console. I rarely went to console forum (because I have no interest in console games) so all it does for me is basically add 50% useless topics to a forum I frequented. Would rather put the MMO forum in the PC forum, but not sure if that would have the intended effect you guys are looking for.
so you have no interest in the Xcom strategy game or Skyrim?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 08:20:19 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 09, 2012, 02:33:50 AM

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on July 09, 2012, 02:13:46 AM

Quote from: gellar on July 08, 2012, 12:38:34 AM

I'll post this here as well, what actual purpose does the sub forum thing do?  It seems to negatively impact the user experience (you can't see if there are any new posts in that board from the main board page) and has no noticeable value other than moving the location of the forum link (which to me is no value at all).

I agree. I don't think sub forum is a good idea. Merging game forums are good idea, but using sub forum doesn't have any benefit. Please move R&P forum back to being a separate forum instead of sub forum of off topic.

Is that the consensus?  Let's hear from a few more folks and if it's what the forum wants, we'll do it. 

I liked the sub-forums, personally.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: