http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:14:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Consolidation?  (Read 2052 times)
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:18:14 AM »

What's up with the merging of the forum topics?  Sorry if I missed the memo.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:25:53 AM by Arnir » Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:19:29 AM »

I think it's mostly a result of this thread over in Off-topic stating that there seems to be less activity on the boards these days.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:22:26 AM »

it's like with a dying MMO where they consolidate servers to look like there still are players  icon_twisted

* CeeKay ducks shoes thrown by Mike and Ron

I KEED I KEED!

I was going to bring up the subject of consolidating threads though, as some of the PC ones will have stuff that weren't put in the console ones, and vice versa. should we just ping a mod to merge them?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:24:43 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2012, 12:22:26 AM

it's like with a dying MMO where they consolidate servers to look like there still are players  icon_twisted

I KEED I KEED!

I was going to bring up the subject of consolidating threads though, as some of the PC ones will have stuff that weren't put in the console ones, and vice versa. should we just ping a mod to merge them?

Yes please.  Just report them and we'll moderate them.   smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »

I always start with most recent topics regardless of sub forum

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 07, 2012, 12:24:43 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2012, 12:22:26 AM

I KEED I KEED!

Yes please.  Just report them and we'll moderate them.   smile

here's one that comes to mind, simply because the PC version had a bunch of stuff mentioned that was PC specific:

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/borderlands-2/
http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/%28360ps3%29borderlands-2/

I could potentially quote all the stuff over, but if it can be merged it'd be neater.

and just so MO doesn't think I'm picking on him or that anyone thinks I'm favoring my threads icon_lol

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/%28360ps3%29far-cry-3/
http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/far-cry-3/
http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/far-cry-3-37268/

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/max-payne-3-26237/
http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/max-payne-3-announced/

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:33:50 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 02:51:12 AM »

i hate it i cant stand it im never coming ba... actually not a bad merge.  i still miiiiiiiight like to see PC spun off from console, but time will tell if it gets annoying - and thread starters are already making threads with [PC] so i guess it shouldnt be too bad!

and thanks for letting us keep analog (slywink) gaming - way to coin a term (or have i just missed that one?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 02:53:48 AM »

I like the improvements! Nice job on getting everything done so fast

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 02:55:06 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 07, 2012, 02:51:12 AM

and thanks for letting us keep analog (slywink) gaming - way to coin a term (or have i just missed that one?

Used to be called 'general gaming', which i always thought was, well, too general

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »

I don't mind the changes but is the Trading forum gone? Or has it been hidden in some other forum?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »

from now on,i think it would be wise to state which platform in the title of the thread,like some of us usually do[PS3/360/Wii U/PC],some of us do it,but a lot of us don't...but the PC has so many games that just don't happen on consoles so it would be better to specify from the get go...I don't need to be so excited about a game and half way through jerking off over it,only to find its PC only  Tongue

EDIT:Sorry Doop,i missed your post,ignore the above

Quote from: Canuck on July 07, 2012, 03:02:44 PM

I don't mind the changes but is the Trading forum gone? Or has it been hidden in some other forum?

It has now been made as a 'Child Board'..you will now find it inbetween Forums 'Steals and Deals' and 'Forum and Site Feedback'
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:08:58 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »

Canuck "Trading Forum" is now a sub-set of "Steals and Deals" - look up above the topmost post in "Steals" - you'll see a gap, then the trading forum as its own lil' block up there
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »

...after you actually click into the "Steals" forum that is... also you MIiiiiiiight be able to go there directly from the main page if you see a little block that says "Child Forum" below it - though that might have just been when Fool was migrating, not sure...???
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 07, 2012, 06:57:13 PM

...after you actually click into the "Steals" forum that is... also you MIiiiiiiight be able to go there directly from the main page if you see a little block that says "Child Forum" below it - though that might have just been when Fool was migrating, not sure...???

You can get to it via both methods.

Mike Dunn
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 12:38:34 AM »

I'll post this here as well, what actual purpose does the sub forum thing do?  It seems to negatively impact the user experience (you can't see if there are any new posts in that board from the main board page) and has no noticeable value other than moving the location of the forum link (which to me is no value at all).
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »

Which sub forum specifically? Latest posted to topics do show on the front page if it is the latest in that group.

R&P being an unmoderated area that we would rather have de-emphasized makes sense. Trading forum as a sub of steals and deals is more of an experiment, I think the case can be made to surface that higher. The sewer is a junk forum so I think it's staying put smile

Mike Dunn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 01:02:38 AM »

I just use the blue color box on the left to see whether there are new posts in any forum, which you now can't do with the subforums unless you go into their parent forum first.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 01:36:05 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 08, 2012, 01:02:38 AM

I just use the blue color box on the left to see whether there are new posts in any forum, which you now can't do with the subforums unless you go into their parent forum first.

Fixed.  I completely agree - it's nice to be able to see when it has a new post. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 04:03:10 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 08, 2012, 12:53:16 AM

Which sub forum specifically? Latest posted to topics do show on the front page if it is the latest in that group.

R&P being an unmoderated area that we would rather have de-emphasized makes sense. Trading forum as a sub of steals and deals is more of an experiment, I think the case can be made to surface that higher. The sewer is a junk forum so I think it's staying put smile

R&P is unmoderated?  News to me.  Most of the moderation (not recently) I had to do was when a certain poster with the letter Z in his name participated in discussion.

Personally I don't think it's going to change the result of the amount of discussion/participation.  I think the child forums will decrease in discussions, and while I know I'm in the minority I don't like having the PC and Console games merged mainly because now it takes longer to find what you are looking for.  I'm sure we'll get used to it.  I'm not trying to be disrespectful by speaking out, but I was quite surprised it happened without any notification or really discussion with staff on at least our opinions.  It's not a big deal but I'm not sure what the goal is.  If it's organization, then over time we'll adjust.  If it's to increase our attendance/involvement, I don't think that's a good solution. 

I think if we really want to increase readers involvement we need to have the front page and the forums more streamlined and blended.  Don't know how, but there will always be a divide.  Merging/consolodating forums doesn't really address that, it just organizes it. 

Anyways that's my opinion, not speaking out, but that's what I would have said if asked smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 04:20:34 AM »

Quote from: naednek on July 08, 2012, 04:03:10 AM

while I know I'm in the minority I don't like having the PC and Console games merged mainly because now it takes longer to find what you are looking for. 

I took a look at the 'new blood' thread and only 2 people seemed for merging them, with Razgon a possible but he stated he could see there still be a separation between the two.  Most people who aren't thrilled with it didn't speak up until afterwards, probably because they didn't get a chance to or were expecting a deeper discussion.  I count 5 of them, with two possibles.

that said, since the merging is done I'm guessing there isn't a way to un-merge things.

Because I can,
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 05:51:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2012, 04:20:34 AM

while I know I'm in the minority I don't like having the PC and Console games merged mainly because now it takes longer to find what you are looking for. 

I took a look at the 'new blood' thread and only 2 people seemed for merging them, with Razgon a possible but he stated he could see there still be a separation between the two.  Most people who aren't thrilled with it didn't speak up until afterwards, probably because they didn't get a chance to or were expecting a deeper discussion.  I count 5 of them, with two possibles.

that said, since the merging is done I'm guessing there isn't a way to un-merge things.

Yeah, I didn't realize the 'new blood' thread was an actual active discussion on how to merge the threads.  It seemed like it was just a brainstorming session and then BANG!, thread merge.  I'm not really a fan of the console & PC forums being merged as it is now more cumbersome to sort through to the posts I'm interested in. I have no interest in non PC posts  so having a way to sort down to PC only would be nice.  Or, have a way we can check boxes to mark threads read or unread, I can quickly go through and check everything not PC, mark read, then peruse the PC threads after.  Or not.  It isn't like there are so many posts I have to scroll back pages to find anything.

So, you can officially put me in the 'not a fan' camp, however, it isn't like I'll be leaving the boards over it or anything.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »

I like the consolidation. I never went into the PC forum even though I know there were threads in there I was interested in. Having everything in once place is going to make it a better experience.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I would have voted to consolidate them, but now that it's done I find that I don't really have a problem with it. 

Hopefully for certain big games (like Skyrim) we can keep separate PC and console threads, though, since I doubt console players want to read tons of posts about performance, system specs and mods and whatever, and PC players don't want to read about Dawnguard months before it is available to them.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »

Hopefully for certain big games (like Skyrim) we can keep separate PC and console threads, though, since I doubt console players want to read tons of posts about performance, system specs and mods

this was my hope as well.  while some console + pc releases DO tend to be all gameplay talk there are certainly others where the tone and subject of the threads are vastly different.  so heres a request for the mods to fight the urge to merge individual threads about crossplatform games (unless, of course, the subject DOES tend to lean fully toward gameplay).  because i do think well see some games where the "game X PC" talk is different from "game X PS3/360" talk.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »

I've never owned a console and don't expect that I ever will. I used to scan the PC Games topics once every few days to see what's new on the market. Now I won't be doing that anymore. But I also very rarely buy new games (one every year or two), so I'm not exactly your target demographic. I'll just use the OO PC Gaming forum for my what's-new fix and check in here when I'm looking for opinions on a specific game.

I'm more sorry to see P&R demoted; it was never very busy to begin with and is next to invisible now.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »

R&P is unmoderated?  News to me.  Most of the moderation (not recently) I had to do was when a certain poster with the letter Z in his name participated in discussion.

Apologies. The forum actually had no moderater listed and I was under the impression that Ron's original intent when he begrudgingly allowed that forum was that it was to be entirely self-moderated- they were on their own. Not that that was a realistic expectation or anything...

Mike Dunn
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 08, 2012, 06:24:40 PM

Apologies. The forum actually had no moderater listed and I was under the impression that Ron's original intent when he begrudgingly allowed that forum was that it was to be entirely self-moderated- they were on their own. Not that that was a realistic expectation or anything...

That was the original intent,but it got bad for a bit and had to step in.  But overall the forums in general are pretty much self moderated. 
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 02:13:46 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 08, 2012, 12:38:34 AM

I'll post this here as well, what actual purpose does the sub forum thing do?  It seems to negatively impact the user experience (you can't see if there are any new posts in that board from the main board page) and has no noticeable value other than moving the location of the forum link (which to me is no value at all).

I agree. I don't think sub forum is a good idea. Merging game forums are good idea, but using sub forum doesn't have any benefit. Please move R&P forum back to being a separate forum instead of sub forum of off topic.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:16:05 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 02:33:50 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on July 09, 2012, 02:13:46 AM

I'll post this here as well, what actual purpose does the sub forum thing do?  It seems to negatively impact the user experience (you can't see if there are any new posts in that board from the main board page) and has no noticeable value other than moving the location of the forum link (which to me is no value at all).

I agree. I don't think sub forum is a good idea. Merging game forums are good idea, but using sub forum doesn't have any benefit. Please move R&P forum back to being a separate forum instead of sub forum of off topic.

Is that the consensus?  Let's hear from a few more folks and if it's what the forum wants, we'll do it. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 04:03:59 AM »

What Ironrod said. I'll likely be visiting here much less as a result.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 04:29:16 AM »

I hadn't even realized it was there until it was mentioned and I looked for it.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 04:30:18 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on July 09, 2012, 04:29:16 AM

I hadn't even realized it was there until it was mentioned and I looked for it.

Yeah, I blew past it not realizing what the thread was.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 04:34:34 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 09, 2012, 02:33:50 AM

Is that the consensus?  Let's hear from a few more folks and if it's what the forum wants, we'll do it. 

I don't see the point of the "child" or sub forums, they just tend to hide the affected forum. The only one in my mind that it makes sense to leave like that is The Sewer.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 04:40:02 AM »

I'm not sure how the P&R forum is hidden, unless I'm seeing stuff no one else is.

which is possible.

damn rubbing alcohol martinis.

(or I may just be misunderstanding the speaking of the words)

Because I can,
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 04:40:07 AM »

After poking around a bit, I agree the child forums are a bad idea.  I spend a bunch of time in off-topic, I spend almost no time in R&P unless I"m otherwise directed there.  Unless i click into R&P & use the 'mark all topics read', the Off topic forum will not show if I have unread posts in it in the main forum list.  
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 05:18:28 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on July 09, 2012, 04:40:07 AM

After poking around a bit, I agree the child forums are a bad idea.  I spend a bunch of time in off-topic, I spend almost no time in R&P unless I"m otherwise directed there.  Unless i click into R&P & use the 'mark all topics read', the Off topic forum will not show if I have unread posts in it in the main forum list. 

There are actually three icon states, no color for no new posts, light blue for new posts in the child forum, and dark blue for new posts in the parent forum.  I think the only combination that doesn't show differently is new posts in the child forum when there are also new posts in the main board.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »

I don't think it makes sense to have separate PC and Console forums, since there are so many cross platform titles now. It always seemed silly that games would have parallel discussions going on, people asking questions already answered in the other, people resurrecting the less popular thread version and wondering why there was so little discussion, etc.

Maybe if people are diligent about sticking [PC] type tags on platform-specific games, it'll work for Ironrod & Cheeba types and still bring the benefits of consolidation?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 01:23:09 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 09, 2012, 12:03:08 PM

I don't think it makes sense to have separate PC and Console forums, since there are so many cross platform titles now. It always seemed silly that games would have parallel discussions going on, people asking questions already answered in the other, people resurrecting the less popular thread version and wondering why there was so little discussion, etc.

Maybe if people are diligent about sticking [PC] type tags on platform-specific games, it'll work for Ironrod & Cheeba types and still bring the benefits of consolidation?

+1

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 09, 2012, 02:33:50 AM

I'll post this here as well, what actual purpose does the sub forum thing do?  It seems to negatively impact the user experience (you can't see if there are any new posts in that board from the main board page) and has no noticeable value other than moving the location of the forum link (which to me is no value at all).

Well you've fixed the primary negative impacts, but I'm still at a loss on what the positive impact might be.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »

Putting a tag in the title doesn't make it any easier to filter through to find the threads you may be looking for, not to mention with the higher thread turnover due to combining forums, niche titles will likely fall off the page much faster now.

I realize it doesn't matter in the end as I am a minority opinion, but I am already finding I spend less time on the forum, and to be fully honest am guessing that in a few months I will likely stop coming entirely.  It is likely more to do with me changing a bit as a person, but the changes were a catalyst for me to see things in a new light.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: