http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 12:05:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumb phone question - can you bypass the WAP site?  (Read 1844 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:58:04 AM »

My new phone has UMTS, so I don't mind visiting the full site on it.  But when you visit using mobile IE, it forces you to the WAP site.  Anyone know a way to get around that?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:59:14 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 25, 2007, 02:58:04 AM

My new phone has UMTS, so I don't mind visiting the full site on it.  But when you visit using mobile IE, it forces you to the WAP site.  Anyone know a way to get around that?

icon_eek   

Uh, what do you mean 'to the WAP site'?  I don't understand.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 25, 2007, 07:59:14 AM

Quote from: Teggy on January 25, 2007, 02:58:04 AM

Uh, what do you mean 'to the WAP site'?  I don't understand.

Does GT have a 'mobile browser' version of the site? Or a text only version of the site that gets sent instead if you don't have a 'compatible browser'?

I think that's what he means (as with my Treo, some sites look far different on it depending which browser I use to surf with). I'm not quite sure though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:09:40 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 25, 2007, 12:30:16 PM

Does GT have a 'mobile browser' version of the site? Or a text only version of the site that gets sent instead if you don't have a 'compatible browser'?

I think that's what he means (as with my Treo, some sites look far different on it depending which browser I use to surf with). I'm not quite sure though.

Correct - WAP = Wireless Application Protocol.  If you visit the forum using the Windows Mobile version of IE, it forces you to a text version of the site, which, if you a compatible phone, allows you to use key presses to pick links instead of having to click on links.  But it also makes it hard to read quotes and there are no pictures.  I'm guessing that the simple machines forum handles this.  I'll do some searches and see if I can come up with something.

unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 04:42:45 PM »

Off topic, but the Blackberry browser really sucks.  Really bad.

I used "Opera Mini" for a while, but my BB needed to be replaced, and it doesn't work anymore (mainly because at first it was using the legacy ATT network, and the newer one uses Cingular- Cingular has not updated stuff on their end, and it breaks a lot of web enabled BB stuff).  Opera Mini actually did a pretty decent job of displaying pages into some resemblence of a 'normal' browser.

Anyway, a kind of on-topic suggestion is to see if there is a version of Opera Mini for your device.  It's a free download (or was last time I checked).  But if you have a 7200 series Blackberry and use Cingular... don't bother.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:45:00 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 06:02:43 PM »

We don't really have a handheld versoin per se, it jus thappens to work pretty well for handheld devices.  Part of that is the fact that it is 800x600 currently.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 06:11:55 PM »

Yeah I've never been forced to a different site when using my phone...

gellar
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 06:37:38 PM »

FYI - this is what it basically looks like when I visit the site using IE on my phone:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?wap2

I downloaded Minimo (mini mozilla) and it views the site normally, although the UI is a bit crowded, so I need to see if I can configure it better.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 04:54:30 AM »

Now that my thought was right, I second using Opera Mini (if your phone supports it). It tricks sites into believing it's a normal browser and as such tends to display sites normally. Although it seems you already have a solution handy. Give it a try if you want.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 03:09:30 PM »

I may look into that anyway - Minimo doesn't seem to work too well with the 750's screen size.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 03:29:56 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 26, 2007, 03:09:30 PM

I may look into that anyway - Minimo doesn't seem to work too well with the 750's screen size.

A Treo 750? If so, good luck using the browser on the phone's tiny 240x240 screen. And I thought my 320x320 on my Treo 650 was bad.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: