http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 07:14:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple of things  (Read 2591 times)
namstalo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2004, 03:06:16 AM »

Well, this is my first post here at the new Console Gold. I've been a longtime lurker, sometime poster over at the Gone Gold forums. I just have couple suggestions/comments/complaints.

First is, having the link to a news article lead to just that one artice seems like you are trying to inflate your page views. Heck, why not have news on the front page like nearly every other news page.

Second, the E3 format is horrible. The forum link leading to directly to the E3 forum is annoying at best.

Third is the response to a post by ATB about the booth babe subject. I think it was by a mod/site worker. Basically stated if he didn't like it he could leave. Seems a bit harsh and definitely not the way to keep people coming to the site. If that's the way you respond to posters with differing opinions than yours, good luck. The readers are your customers you know.

Edit: Now that I look back, not a mod who said it. Still not a community building response.

Finally, I hope the lack of a Gone Gold link is due to the E3 format and will be there soon. There is a link to Console Gold there, so it seems fitting to return the favor.

Otherwise, it's good to see CS becoming something more. Good luck to you guys.
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 08:28:07 PM »

it's not good "community building" when you delete your threads when people have responded.

I was the one that suggested that if he didn't like it, he didn't have to visit the site.  I wasn't trying to be rude about it.  It's not his website, or forum, and far as I know, he hasn't invested any money on it.

I apologize if I came off harsh, but it's the truth, if he objects to the content of this site or anyother site, he doesn't have to stay.  You can't force your beliefs on someone just because you don't like it.
namstalo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 12:47:12 AM »

Was that about him deleting a thread or me?

Fair enough about the response to him. Did seem a bit harsh, but tone is hard to convey on the internet. No harm no foul here.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 06:00:03 AM »

Quote from: "namstalo"
Well, this is my first post here at the new Console Gold. I've been a longtime lurker, sometime poster over at the Gone Gold forums. I just have couple suggestions/comments/complaints.

Thanks for speaking up - i do appreciate comments.

First is, having the link to a news article lead to just that one artice seems like you are trying to inflate your page views. Heck, why not have news on the front page like nearly every other news page.
The E3 news thing was an experiment with a custom News system rather than the old one we've been using. The advantage was that it would make updating our site a lot faster which is a nice thing when you're sharing a wireless access point with 100 other people. Putting each article on a unique page was intended to have two benefits

1. It was supposed to allow reporters room to provide a lot more information in the news articles. I.e. Put up a full story rather than just a quick paragraph.

2. It was supposed to make it easier for readers to scan the generic news page and only click on the items that were of interest to them. (i.e. so you wouldn't have to scan over multiple  paragraphs of info about the new MP2 if all you wanted was to get to that Cliffy B Interview.

As for news on the front page. One of the main goals of the redesign that launched several weeks back was to help people see that we're more than just a 'news site'. So that main page is now more of a menu of all that's new or interesting on the site as well as links to all the most recent headlines. We still have a full news page and that will still be given a lot of attention. We just didn't want it to be the only thing people noticed.

Second, the E3 format is horrible. The forum link leading to directly to the E3 forum is annoying at best.
Sorry you didn't like it. I did the best with what graphics I had available at launch time. The thought behind changing the forum link was that during E3 - that would be the forum area where most discussion would be going. Considering how little traffic it got, it seems that was mistake. One we'll learn from and not repeat next year.

Third is the response to a post by ATB about the booth babe subject
I'll leave this for the forum mods to handle. I trust their judgement on how to handle the forum community. I'm just a coder.
Finally, I hope the lack of a Gone Gold link is due to the E3 format and will be there soon. There is a link to Console Gold there, so it seems fitting to return the favor.
I believe that Ron had mentioned that he was looking into this for the forums. But unfortunately I don't know his status on that.

Otherwise, it's good to see CS becoming something more. Good luck to you guys.
Thanks!!!

Okay off to bed for me.
namstalo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 06:51:19 AM »

Thanks for the response. My main complaint with the E3 format was the main page link that went to the E3 forum rather than the forum home. Now it's back to normal, so happy is me.

So can I gather that the news will be back to the old format soon? Much rather click a link once and scroll down than have to ckick, go back, click, go back, etc.

By the way, nice coverage of E3. Can we expect a wrap up soon?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 02:40:33 PM »

Well, as for a wrap up, I'm going to try to write up a day-by-day retrospective over the next few days.  Honestly I believe we have probably 10,000 (no exaggeration) more screenshots to upload and about 50 articles and interviews to write before our E3 coverage will be 'complete'.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 05:35:01 PM »

Correct - we all still have a bunch of stuff to finish writing up. We all survived on a minimal amount of sleep this last week to try and write stuff up while we were at E3, now we'll finish that up, and I'll integrate that information into the Game Info pages.

As for the news system - yes the old news system will be coming back online in the near future, however I wouldn't count on it being there for too much longer. We're going to re-discuss and make some modifications to the new news system before we launch it again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: