http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 02:46:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beserk new-thread-starting  (Read 3519 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »

I must say, as much as I love this place, of late there seems to be some widespread injection (infection? ) of "create a new thread about anything and everything that's been announced, one by one, eeeyah!!!!!!!!!" *ques video of Macaulay Culkin racing around in Home Alone movies after a sugar bombs fest*

I have tried my best to honor the "look for an existing thread before you post" guideline -- which is even kind of fun sometimes when you "wake up" a 1-2 year old thread because you learned something new, the board software even basically asks you "Hey, do you really want to dig up this dusty old thread?"  icon_lol-- and I've resisted the temptation to create a new "HEY LOOK! COH ANNOUNCed a New feature from IssuEEEE !@!!!!!" or "OMG THERE"s a NEW VIDEO OUT!!!!!!!!!!!" thread every time NCSOft announces something.

I'm not a mod, and I'm generally "live and let live" (part of the reason I came here was a past board where the single moderator was constantly deleting threads and merging them w/o explanation or "just because he felt like it" or he "didn't like the conversation") so consider this merely a friendly observation and not a demand to "open a can of moderation whoop-arse" icon_twisted on anybody. I was going to share these thoughts in a particular game thread, but I feel it belongs here.  icon_neutral 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:17:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 03:27:43 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 01, 2008, 11:14:54 PM

I have tried my best to honor the "look for an existing thread before you post" guideline -- which is even kind of fun sometimes when you "wake up" a 1-2 year old thread because you learned something new, the board software even basically asks you "Hey, do you really want to dig up this dusty old thread?"  icon_lol-- and I've resisted the temptation to create a new "HEY LOOK! COH ANNOUNCed a New feature from IssuEEEE !@!!!!!" or "OMG THERE"s a NEW VIDEO OUT!!!!!!!!!!!" thread every time NCSOft announces something.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really dislike thread necromancy.  If there is something genuinely new, I'd rather see read a fresh, shiny new thread.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:33:26 AM »

I think there is a lot of room between resurrecting 1+ year old threads and creating a new thread when there is another on still on the front page of the forum.  Search for the happy medium.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »

If the topic is still valid, it's not necromancy; it's simply waking the topic back up. I (personally) don't mind most new threads; I would prefer that we started a Funny YouTube Videos thread so they each don't get their own representation.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 02:11:38 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 02, 2008, 03:33:26 AM

Search is the happy medium.  smile

fixed.  personally I tend to ignore the new threads and post in the current ones, like when someone decided we needed 2 Mass Effect impressions threads I posted only in the one that previously existed or the current Age of Conan thread I'll only post new info in the one that's been around for awhile instead of every new thread that needs to be started.  The multiple Warhammer Online threads about different videos did get a bit ridiculous though.

Quote from: Purge on April 02, 2008, 12:42:00 PM

I would prefer that we started a Funny YouTube Videos thread so they each don't get their own representation.

OK Ike  Tongue  I think there have been a few funny video thread attempts and they never seem to stick.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »

If the topic is still valid, it's not necromancy; it's simply waking the topic back up. I (personally) don't mind most new threads; I would prefer that we started a Funny YouTube Videos thread so they each don't get their own representation.

But... THIS ONE deserves it's own thread.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:26:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 02, 2008, 02:11:38 PM

fixed.  personally I tend to ignore the new threads and post in the current ones, like when someone decided we needed 2 Mass Effect impressions threads I posted only in the one that previously existed or the current Age of Conan thread I'll only post new info in the one that's been around for awhile instead of every new thread that needs to be started.  The multiple Warhammer Online threads about different videos did get a bit ridiculous though.

SRSLY. This is a terrible example. The first ME impressions thread was by people who had it before release and the thread had multiple multiple pages before release day. Therefore, the thoughtful author of the second ME thread, began a new one so that no one who had gotten it on the day they were supposed would encounter any spoilers.  Turns out though, that that same thoughtful gent, never bothered to play the game beyond the first couple hours because he has a terrible (terrible, I say) addiction to call of duty 4, though he expects and hopes that he'll one day return to the possibly good/possibly bad not necessarily epic RPG that he had anticipated more than any game ever.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 05:10:27 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 02, 2008, 03:42:36 PM

I would prefer that we started a Funny YouTube Videos thread so they each don't get their own representation.

FAIL. Dogs love water. Dogs are playful. I don't see that as threadworthy, any more than the writers of the jokes on AFV should still be employed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:45:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 02, 2008, 04:26:44 PM

SRSLY. This is a terrible example. The first ME impressions thread was by people who had it before release and the thread had multiple multiple pages before release day. Therefore, the thoughtful author of the second ME thread, began a new one so that no one who had gotten it on the day they were supposed would encounter any spoilers.  Turns out though, that that same thoughtful gent, never bothered to play the game beyond the first couple hours because he has a terrible (terrible, I say) addiction to call of duty 4, though he expects and hopes that he'll one day return to the possibly good/possibly bad not necessarily epic RPG that he had anticipated more than any game ever.

IIRC, despite being a multi-page thread the "first" impressions thread actually had no spoilers. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 02, 2008, 05:45:38 PM

Quote from: ATB on April 02, 2008, 04:26:44 PM

IIRC, despite being a multi-page thread the "first" impressions thread actually had no spoilers. 

Well I wouldn't know cause I never went into it for fear of spoilz.

And the 2nd thread was quite well received. So I don't think it's one that the troublemaker OP is refering to.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 12:02:34 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 02, 2008, 05:10:27 PM

FAIL. Dogs love water. Dogs are playful. I don't see that as threadworthy, any more than the writers of the jokes on AFV should still be employed.

Well of course dogs love water and are playful.  That doesn't mean it's not funny as hell.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 12:37:46 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 03, 2008, 12:02:34 AM

Well of course dogs love water and are playful.  That doesn't mean it's not funny as hell.

Not as funny as this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7QLSRMoKKS0
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 12:45:20 AM »

yeah, but you found this to be funny too...

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 01:08:35 AM »

Quote from: warning on April 03, 2008, 12:37:46 AM

Not as funny as this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7QLSRMoKKS0

That is a classic. I agree that it deserves it's own thread...EVERY time it's posted on GT.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 03:54:57 AM »

Thanks Arthur.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 02:19:06 AM »

I coulda sworn there was someone here who agreed with me, but I guess I was wrong.  disgust

So in the future, any time there is anything of interest for Champions Online (for example), I'll just start a new thread. Maybe once it gets closer to release, I'll have 267 threads, and I can push all the other MMO topics to Page 17.  Since every individual brain-burp is worth a new thread apparently, I might as well get with the program even if it's eventually going to turn this place into the chaotic Quarter to Three (where I used to hang out at, except the roughly 350 new threads per day situation there was one of the things that drove me away). Tongue
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:21:04 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »

Oh I agree with you, but it's the same old people over and over again and they don't seem to really care no matter how many times people mention it. I finally learned to quit bitching and just laugh at it. The best thing to do is probably just ignore the threads.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 03:42:44 AM »

Quote from: Lee on April 11, 2008, 02:37:00 AM

The best thing to do is probably just ignore the threads.

or just take the info they posted and repost it as your own in the pre-existing thread  ninja

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 03:19:30 AM »

It's pretty obvious who the worst offenders are, though. 

Some of this is getting way out of hand.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 06:42:03 AM »

It's really a forum culture thing, not really a problem.  I too much prefer keeping a main thread going instead of having separate posts for every news bite (see my attempt at a consolidated GTA IV thread), but I've gotten used to how things go here.

I think I remember even Ron saying he envisioned there being a single thread for each game, but if you were to try and enforce it as a rule it could very quickly feel overbearing--which is why I think they let people do their own thing.  You do see some forums, like Penny Arcade, that strictly enforce the single thread thing, but that style just doesn't seem like GT's moderation philosophy. 
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 07:35:54 AM »

I don't have a problem with multiple threads as a game is getting close.  It can be argued that it's necessary.  However, when you're six months out, starting a new thread, especially when an existing thread is still active on the front page, is just annoying as hell.

- American Dad
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 06:49:21 AM »

I can't be bothered to read through 10 page threads and I like seeing lots of new threads.  Obviously if there is already a thread on the front page then go ahead and post in that one instead of making a new one but otherwise go right ahead and make a new thread!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »

The idea that you have a general thread means that if you weren't following it before you'll never end up picking up on what has been said as it can be daunting. 10-15 pages of reading just to get "up to speed" when you wanted to make a comment on an aspect can be an uphill battle.

Let's say GAME_A has one thread, and it covers (in order) Topic_A, Topic_B, Topic_C and Topic_D, and you've just entered and want to talk about Topic_B, you're going to be replying to older messages and often are overlooked as the community is focused on the current Topic_D.

If the thread is single-purpose then I see no harm. The only thing about multithreads is that there is no relation between them. That's where a flag to tie threads together (like slashdot's keywords) would help reign in the number of "oops I didn't know we had already opened a thread on GAME_A Topic_B".

I'm sure it will be fixed ....

[queue the KD]

in the redesign.

(Actually, I don't know if that's in scope... I'm just taking a shot at the party line slywink ).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:38:24 PM by Purge » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 14, 2008, 01:36:27 PM

The idea that you have a general thread means that if you weren't following it before you'll never end up picking up on what has been said as it can be daunting. 10-15 pages of reading just to get "up to speed" when you wanted to make a comment on an aspect can be an uphill battle.

How is that any different than the multithread situation?  People start new threads to discuss articles already posted in a general thread all the time, and we often end up with parallel discussions.

If I want to read or post in a "catch-all" thread, like they have at Gamers with Jobs, Penny Arcade, and Quarter to Three, I don't have to read the entire 15+ pages to get up to speed.  I can just read the last page or two, or simply use the "latest posts" board function to see what the latest part of the conversation has been about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 02:36:51 PM »

And then the point you bring up was made 5 pages ago. Mud on your face, you big disgrace.

If there were 4 different threads based on topic rather than game you'd not look the fool. slywink (trusting, of course, that you found the right one).

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 07:35:10 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 14, 2008, 06:49:21 AM

I can't be bothered to read through 10 page threads and I like seeing lots of new threads.  Obviously if there is already a thread on the front page then go ahead and post in that one instead of making a new one but otherwise go right ahead and make a new thread!

If that was the case then I'd be in full agreement, but it's not.  For example, we have a front page thread on a game that releases in the fall that is two pages long at this point and a certain member has twice created new threads related to the same game.  That's what I'm annoyed about.

- American Dad
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 10:15:44 PM »

Well to Daehawk's credit, Darkstar's thread title is pretty F'ing stupid. Maybe we should start a simple "Fallout 3" thread in PCs and just ban Unbreakable from it. smile
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:23:41 AM by Lee » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 12:15:06 AM »

Quote from: Lee on April 15, 2008, 10:15:44 PM

Well too Daehawk's credit, Darkstar's thread title is pretty F'ing stupid. Maybe we should start a simple "Fallout 3" thread in PCs and just ban Unbreakable from it. smile

True, but that's because he was trying to be funny right after the previous Fallout 3 thread was locked.  Even then, it doesn't justify the creation of yet another thread after that.  If this is the approach we are going to take, then I can't wait until GTA4 comes out and we have ten different threads on different aspects of the game.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 12:24:27 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 16, 2008, 12:15:06 AM

Well too Daehawk's credit, Darkstar's thread title is pretty F'ing stupid. Maybe we should start a simple "Fallout 3" thread in PCs and just ban Unbreakable from it. smile

True, but that's because he was trying to be funny right after the previous Fallout 3 thread was locked.  Even then, it doesn't justify the creation of yet another thread after that.  If this is the approach we are going to take, then I can't wait until GTA4 comes out and we have ten different threads on different aspects of the game.

Like we did for Obivion and numerous other games?  It always happens around a big release.  Heck a quick shows that there were more than 20 Halo 3 threads just in the month before release. 

Personally I think it's a good strategy- a lot of times you have a spoiler thread during playthrough, a heavily spoilered "finshed final thoughts", then there is one for general strategies. one for discussing multiplayer modes, etc.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »

Well to Daehawk's credit, Darkstar's thread title is pretty F'ing stupid. Maybe we should start a simple "Fallout 3" thread in PCs and just ban Unbreakable from it. smile

hell, Daehawk didn't even bother to read the thread according to him:

Quote from: Daehawk on April 11, 2008, 01:39:03 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 11, 2008, 01:28:09 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on April 11, 2008, 01:22:04 AM

Because there were no other threads it would fit in.

you mean besides the other Fallout 3 thread just a few topics down?

The Bethesda sucks going to hell one? Didn't look liek a thread I would put it in..didn't read the thread though.

I'm just going to take any new info he posts in his berserker thread starting mode and repost it in the ongoing one that Darkstar started, all the while stealing credit for it  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: