http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 07:40:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Offensive Article  (Read 2495 times)
Malkaiya
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2005, 08:17:46 PM »

New Girl Games Released
It's hard to get girls interested in gaming, especially if they don't get the bug early. Today Disney has announced in this Press Release two games for the GBA aimed towards girls.
Buena Vista Games, Inc. (BVG), the interactive entertainment arm of The Walt Disney Company, announced today that Disney's Kim Possible 3: Team Possible and Disney's That's So Raven 2: Supernatural Style are now available at retail outlets nationwide. Exclusively for the Game Boy(R) Advance, Kim Possible 3 and That's So Raven 2 take players on interactive adventures with their favorite stars of hit Disney Channel television shows "Kim Possible" and "That's So Raven."

"Our Disney Channel handheld games are some of the most successful franchises for tweens on the GBA," said Dana Long, director of kids marketing for Buena Vista Games. "Just in time for summer, these games allow players to take their favorite characters with them anywhere they go for hours of game play fun."
Information about Kim Possible can be found here, and Raven found here.

Discuss this in our forums. Posted by Keith Schleicher 07/26/05

I moved this way after Ron made a very impressive visit to the Elder Scrolls Forums in relation to his Oblivon article.  I went reading on Console Gold and found this article.  I know girl gamers have the stigma of not being real hardcore gamers, and I know that girls "don't play Halo".  This is pretty rediculous.  My girlfriend plays Soul Calibur and kicks my ass, she plays UT2004 pretty well, she loves rpgs, and she is still an attractive girl.  It is up to the media, if they want the responsibilty or not, to fix the problem.  She has not read the article yet, I am sure, but if she did I know she would be pissed.  Come on Keith, don't do this.  Do you really think ANYONE wants to play "That's So Raven 2", I mean how many people played "That's So Raven 1", and did they really have a "That's So Raven 1"?  Theses aren't girl games, this is licensed compost that is marketed and made for kids who watch the Disney Channel all day.  Don't insult the girl gamers, or you may just succede in pushing them all away.
Malkaiya
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 08:29:37 PM »

Sorry about posting this in the wrong place.  I assumed general gaming was for the wrong purposes and did not see the feedback area.  I did also think this was a little more of a gaming world issue and had possibilities to spark a more general conversation on gaming girl stigma.
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 08:32:22 PM »

Hi Malkaiya and welcome to the forums!

Regarding the article, it sounds like your issue is really with Buena Vista Games and not with Keith.  Most of the article you quoted was from their press release.  The only editorial comment Keith made is "It's hard to get girls interested in gaming, especially if they don't get the bug early."  That's certainly open to debate but I really don't see him implying that girls would not be good at Halo or insulting girl gamers.

And I think the one thing you might be missing is these games seem to be aimed at young girls.  My nieces for example are 9 and 11 and would love these games.  They'd never play Halo.  I don't think these games are being aimed an teenage or even women gamers.

That said, my wife routinely kicks my ass in Soul Calibur also.  I certainly sympathize!   biggrin
Malkaiya
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 08:38:54 PM »

I did not realize that this was a press release that he didn't really comment on, but it really made me sad to see this when Ron got my expectations so high.  I really would like to see this change in the video game world, but I know that certain powers that be will always market their own product very foolishly, i.e. Disney licensed games.  The implication I got when first reading the article wa that Keith saw these games and thought they would be great to give to your girl friend so she wouldn't feel left out while you play Halo 2.   I will reread the article and try to see if I misread it.  

Don't you just hate it? LoL
Malkaiya
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 08:43:33 PM »

After rereading I see that the press release mentions "tweens", but I still see it that his article title and editorial comment do not mention tweens, they seem to be more generalized towards "girls".  This may indeed just be a word usage problem.  If he meant girls in the classical dictionary definition of young prepubescant females and not females in general, but it is still an error in my opinion to not be more precise.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 10:54:38 PM »

I plan on getting Kim Possible 3.  I already have the first two.  The second in particular is a fun platformer.  The later levels are pretty brutal (for me at least) so it might be too much for the target audience.

Also, Kim Possible is pretty gender neutral with the kids I teach.  I actually had the two little posters from the GBA titles on the wall in my classroom.  Everybody loves Kim Possible and Rufus the naked mole rat!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 11:17:34 PM »

Welcome to the board Malkaiya.  The whole point of that article I'm sure was to spur the conversation we are having right now.  My wife routinely whips my tail at Soul Caliber and is a big fan of RPGs and games like Sam and Max.  Obviously they are mistaken in their assumption.   On a related note, this was supposed to be a PR piece about the game shipping as we do have some folks who are parents and their kids may be interested in the show and game.  Hope that explains things a bit.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 12:37:54 AM »

Honestly though, don't you think this is a bit excessively sensitive?
Malkaiya
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 12:47:55 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

It isnt that he has caused the problem, but the problem is long standing and frustrating.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 02:24:38 AM »

especially if they don't get the bug early.

I think that pretty much shows these games are geared for young girls to get them started early. Hey I love Kim Possible the toon! smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 03:37:44 AM »

When I typed up this, I imagined that the demographics for this game were grade school girls.  I certainly didn't think that anyone would suggest that I intended someone should get this for their girlfriend while they are playing "Halo 2," unless she is about 9 years old.

When I talk about women, I say women.  I don't talk about "girls."  To me, girls are high school and younger, and I figured that this would be the audience that this was aimed for.  I saw this as a good opportunity for parents to possibly get their daughters interested in gaming, depending if it is a good game.  While these games aren't for everyone, they could be a gateway for girls to get into gaming.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 07:14:40 PM »

My wife used to kick my ass at Soul Calibur too.  Cheap ass Kilik button mashing.  And she talked hella trash too.

Well then I played Hwang, and stopped letting her win the first round.  Then I started talking some trash, complete with dance.

We don't play Soul Calibur anymore.

Just Hiro will do.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 02:29:38 AM »

Warning (no, not you, Beak-Buck, lol)... just a General Warnng - this ended up turning into a mini-rant!

No...  Mostly because:
the problem is long standing and frustrating.

I do think there was nothing wrong with Keith's post, I feel he was using the terms correctly, especially as the article mentioned "tweens" - it's just the issue in general...  If people - male and female - would stop calling women "girls" or "gurls" or "grrrls" - and saying and doing things that reflect the "issue" - perhaps folks wouldn't get so darn spikey about this sort of thing!  My personal pet peeve - to go a tiny bit astray - the coach who berates the male (boy or man) by calling him a girl.  It's the same old thing, Rage, if you're not a member of the group in question, you just don't notice the little things - and not so little - that just add up until you get pissed about it.

To try to explain, I'm going to go wildly astray now with  two examples (I have tons more - as some of you know, I'm a woman, and I used to be a police officer).  First one - a director of my department, which included 3 women, routinely gave news interviews where he spoke of the "55 men of our department."  Idiot! :evil:  To stick with the police scenario - another director once wrote me a letter of commendation - for making sandwiches for our firearms qualification group! :evil: :evil: The men in my group were fine, we'd all decided who was bringing what for the par-tay afterwards is all.  That wouldn't have been too bad - just too bad it was the same week I chased down and arrested a rapist (subsequently convicted) - and got no such Honorable Mention... evah... :shock:

PS - Welcome Aboard, Malkaiya!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 03:31:03 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
My wife used to kick my ass at Soul Calibur too.  Cheap ass Kilik button mashing.  And she talked hella trash too.

Well then I played Hwang, and stopped letting her win the first round.  Then I started talking some trash, complete with dance.

We don't play Soul Calibur anymore.

That made me laugh a bit. Good stuff Hiro.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: